Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5566

UFC Question - How do fighters get away with..

fighting above weight limits? I'm watching the card tonight and so many are anywhere from a pound to seven pounds over the limit on Fox Sports 1. Bigday what up?

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Cutting weight is an art. Some can do it. Some.. Not so well.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Well the iFc has so much invested in making sure two fighters go out and perform, they simply dock the offending fighter 25% of their pay. Thats substantial chedda for these guys that might fight twice a year and make 50-60k per fight

Swinging Johnson

if you look at the fights tonight guys are around a pound overweight and it never happens in the main events on the PPV's what's going on tonight have you noticed?

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Swinging Johnson View Post
    if you look at the fights tonight guys are around a pound overweight and it never happens in the main events on the PPV's what's going on tonight have you noticed?
    Every fight is given a 1 pound cushion.

Except title fights. That's why only the ppv main events are typically spot on weight.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

If they're over the pound variance, then they either have 1-2 hours to get the weight off or surrender a portion of their purse.

Hope the helps.

Swinging Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDAY View Post
    If they're over the pound variance, then they either have 1-2 hours to get the weight off or surrender a portion of their purse.

Hope the helps.
    Never knew that they had a pound cushion aside from title fights. Good info Bigger, knew you'd be the one to ask.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BIGDAY

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15072

In a title fight, or any fight for that matter, does the other guy who made weight get to decide if he still wants to take the fight? I remember a fight with Wilson Gouveia when he was like 9 pounds over. IIRC, the other guy, who was a huge favorite, took the fight anyway, and got whooped. Also, aren't you DQ'ed in a title fight?

I could be getting some of it confused with boxing. Maybe the best boxer I've ever seen in my generation, Joan Guzman, could have no doubt in my mind crushed Paquiao, but was a lazy shit-head who could never make weight. Seriously, this guy was untouchable.