redsoxfreak91
    redsoxfreak91's Avatar Become A Pro!

any small chance that a team like the patriots is able to pick up Tony G from ATL?

I know atlanta would never say they wanted to trade gonzalez, and i actually don't think gonzalez really wants to be traded. However, Gonzalez came back one final year to win a championship. I have a feeling that if the Falcons are COMPLETELY out of the playoff hunt then at the NFL trade deadline they would be willing to allow Gonzalez the option to pick a team (probably not a NFC team) to try and capture his first title. The Falcons would also be able to snag a draft pick to help improve that defense. Combine that with the fact Gonzalez is almost definately not coming back next year no matter what and that the Falcons can save money by not having to pay him the second half of the season, his decision to leave (if they are out of the playoff hunt) has absolutaly no future effect on the team (other than picking up a draft pick). The Pats need something else and a 5th round pick would prob be enough to pick up Gonzalez for the last few weeks of the season and the playoffs.

I think to the disdain of ATL fans and solely on Gonzalez searching for what he came back for, a AFC playoff contender (the Patriots) will end up with Tony Gonzalez before the season is over (completely dependent on how the Falcons' record is at that point in the season).

wagerjunkie
    wagerjunkie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

no because Atlanta will ask for the moon because they know the Pats are in desperate need of a TE and Pats aren't into giving up high round draft picks.

will never happen for a rental 1 year

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

only way I can see it happening is if Gonzalez lets them know he would like to play for a contender, and the Organization got enough respect for him to let him go. Better to let him go out of the conference. You see it in other sports all the time when a guy says he wants a shot at a title and a team will let him go. Haven't really seen this happen in NFL though.

wagerjunkie
    wagerjunkie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

LOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Even if Kansas City Chiefs general manager John Dorsey is willing to trade draft picks in order to bring back cult figure Tony Gonzalez, don't expect the Atlanta Falcons to be willing to deal the veteran tight end.
    Falcons coach Mike Smith addressed the sudden media-and-fan-driven Gonzalez trade speculation following Wednesday's practice.
    [+] EnlargeAP Photo /Jim MahoneyThe idea of trading tight end Tony Gonzalez is "preposterous," coach Mike Smith said Wednesday.

"That's preposterous that Tony would be traded,'' Smith told ESPN.com. "He's an integral part of our offense and has been since he's been here. And he's having another Hall of Fame season.
    "In my mind, the last two weeks have been maybe his best two games since he's been here. So he's an integral part -- and will continue to be -- to the success we're going to have.''
    The trade rumors were fueled by recent radio interview comments made by both Dorsey and Chiefs cornerbackBrandon Flowers. According to the Kansas City Star, a radio show host asked Dorsey what Gonzalez's trade value would be.
    "I'd give him a spot up in that stadium one day," Dorsey said, according the newspaper.
    Asked if he would give up a draft pick, Dorsey said he is frugal with his picks. Pressed on whether that meant "no'' to surrendering picks for Gonzalez, Dorsey's response, according to the newspaper, was the following:
    "No, it's not a no. We have to analyze each situation. That's kind of what that is.''
    More on ESPN.com

Fans have been clamoring for the Chiefs to bring Tony Gonzalez back. The idea has merit but is likely wishful thinking, writes Adam Teicher. Blog

The NFL trade deadline is Oct. 29 at 4 p.m. ET.
    The 37-year-old Gonzalez came back for one more season with hopes of ending his career as a Super Bowl champion. The Falcons' 1-4 start and the loss of star receiver Julio Jones have left some wondering if Gonzalez would want to be traded to a contender. The Chiefs are 5-0.
    Gonzalez told Fox Sports he has no desire to be traded. He was unavailable for comment during Wednesday's open locker-room session.
    Gonzalez started his career with the Chiefs in 1997. He was traded to Atlanta in 2009 in exchange for a second-round draft pick.
    Smith emphasized that this is not yet a lost season for Gonzalez and the Falcons, who have a bye this week.
    "We are still in this,'' Smith said. "There are still 11 games to be played, a lot of football to be played. We're focusing on us and focusing on what we have to do to get a win. We can't look beyond our next opponent. And right now, our opponent is the Atlanta Falcons this week. And next week, we'll start focusing on Tampa Bay.''
    Gonzalez is the Falcons' second-leading receiver with 33 catches for 339 yards. He leads the team with three touchdown receptions.
    With Jones ruled out for the remainder of the season due to a foot injury, Gonzalez's role becomes that much more important.
    "There are always things out there, always different rumors or whatever. I just know Tony, and I'm happy that he's here,'' Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan said. "The production that he's brought to us has been awesome."
    Ryan emphasized how much Gonzalez means to the Falcons.
    "Obviously, we know he's such a big part of what we do offensively,'' Ryan said. "He has been for the last five years. He's been unbelievable for us. He's been doing a great job. And I expect him to keep doing a great job for us.''
    The Falcons moved quickly to bolster their wide receiver corps after losing Jones, signing veteran Brian Robiskie, son of wide receiver coach Terry Robiskie to a one-year deal, multiple league sources told ESPN.
    The 6-foot-4, 212-pound Robiskie has the type of size to fill the role of a big receiver. He was a second-round pick of the Cleveland Browns in 2009 following a stellar career at Ohio State. He started 14 games in three seasons with the Browns.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

good thing the coach doesn't make that decision. Atlanta would be smart to trade him if the deal is right, the season is over for them as far as being contenders. Unless your goal is just to make it to the playoffs, might as well put on a bengals jersey.

redsoxfreak91
    redsoxfreak91's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    good thing the coach doesn't make that decision. Atlanta would be smart to trade him if the deal is right, the season is over for them as far as being contenders. Unless your goal is just to make it to the playoffs, might as well put on a bengals jersey.
    Exactly, it's not like Gonzalez played his entire career in ATL. They don't have any emotional attachment to him so why not give him one more shot at a title and add a draft pick at the same time. No shitt the coach and player both say they don't want to be traded and that it will never happen. What do you expect them to say..."yeah I mean we suck and I wanna be traded". These are both class acts and any trade discussions will go on behind closed doors and nothing will be announced until everyone agrees and is happy.