I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

Forbes: 2013 Astros most profitable MLB team ever

<header> Forbes: 2013 Astros most profitable MLB team ever

By Dayn Perry | Baseball Writer

<time class="storyDate" pubdate="" datetime="2013-08-26T17:01:18Z">August 26, 2013 1:01 pm ET</time>

</header> <figure> <figcaption>Despite the standings, it's been a good year for Astros owner Jim Crane. (USATSI)</figcaption> </figure>UPDATE: Astros deny report, called it "significantly inaccurate"
    The 2013 Astros, who are in the midst of a deep rebuild, are on pace for 108 losses this season. That's not optimal, obviously, but the good news is said deep rebuild is going rather nicely, as GM Jeff Luhnow has methodically added quite a bit of young talent to the system. Also reportedly looking healthy these days is the balance sheet -- historically healthy, if the numbers of Forbes are to be believed.
    And speaking of Forbes's numbers, here's the heart of the matter ...
    The Astros are on pace to rake in an estimated $99 million in operating income this season. That is nearly as much as the estimated operating income of the previous six World Series championship teams — combined.
    As the Forbes piece notes, that estimated $99 million in operating income (i.e., total revenues minus operating expenses) make the 2013 Astros the most profitable team in MLB history, at least according to the educated guesses of Forbes.
    This is the result of a payroll that is, by leaps and bounds, the lowest in all of baseball in tandem with healthy cable-television revenues (asset-bubble alert!). As Forbes notes, a good chunk of this extra cash will likely go toward servicing the debt of owner Jim Crane, whose purchase of the team was a highly leveraged one.
    The overarching lesson is that owners of major professional sports really have to try to lose money, and even then they may in fact make a lot of money.

wagerjunkie
    wagerjunkie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

dumb

"a good chunk of this extra cash will likely go toward servicing the debt of owner Jim Crane, whose purchase of the team was a highly leveraged one."

says it all right there..

Jefferey13
    Jefferey13's Avatar Become A Pro!

Interesting. I just saw this on TV. True or not about 99 million, I'd have to imagine the high profitability part is true.

EASports
    EASports's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

This is why Stienbrenner raged against the revenue sharing program. Losing team still profit, and have no incentive in spending money.

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

Typical Texas. Garbage team with a select few making all the profit. JUst like most every company in Texas. Hire for piss wages so a couple of guys make all the money. Great state. Great people. Number one in pollution just so a few can earn huge numbers. Number 50 in education just to keep their people dumb enuf to let those few people make those huge profits. Seriously Rick Perry? Has their ever been anyone on TV any dumber? He makes George Bush look like a Rhodes Scholar.
    Last edited by Thor4140; 08-26-13 at 08:19 PM.

Huckleberry Pig
    Huckleberry Pig's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
    typical Texas. Garbage team with a select few making all the profit. JUst like most every company in Texas. Hire for piss wages so a couple of guys make all the money. Great state. Great people. Number one in pollution just so a few can earn huge numbers. Number 50 in education just to keep their people dumb enuf to let those few people make those huge profits.
    number 50 in education - not even close.

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry Pig View Post
    number 50 in education - not even close.
    49?

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
    49?
    thats reserved for south carolina

(and no i dont think texas is 50....i think its arkansas....and those rankings are fairly consistent across all measures)

anyway forbes is a useless publication....the terms "baseball writer" and "forbes" dont really mix well anyway

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

Crazy like a fox

Word is, Houston may very well be farther along than the current rebuild of the goliath called the Cubs

Jefferey13
    Jefferey13's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by EASports View Post
    This is why Stienbrenner raged against the revenue sharing program. Losing team still profit, and have no incentive in spending money.
    Heard of start and park?

agendaman
    agendaman's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13998

george bush sr. bought the texas rangers for $8 million and sold them for $240 million to tom hicks who proceeded to give most of that money to A-rod remember steinbrenner did have a valid pt. about the revenue sharing