qwertvt
    qwertvt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Fantasy Football Draft Question

I have never participated in fantasy football so I decided to do a mock draft. Does anyone have any suggestions or criticisms about how I did? I am sure I made some mistakes.>

1.Marshawn Lynch (Sea - RB)
    2. Demaryius Thomas (Den - WR)
    3. Darren McFadden (Oak - RB)
    4. Andrew Luck (Ind - QB)
    5. James Jones (GB - WR)
    6. Kyle Rudolph (Min - TE)
    7. T.Y. Hilton (Ind - WR)
    8. BenJarvus Green-Ellis (Cin - RB)
    9. Carson Palmer (Ari - QB)
    10. Shayne Graham (Cle - K)
    11. New York (NYG - DEF)
    12. Zach Miller (Sea - TE)
    13. Brandon LaFell (Car - WR)
    14. Graham Gano (Car - K)
    15. Minnesota (Min - DEF>

RyanLeafOfBets
    Team Dexter
    RyanLeafOfBets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

How many teams was this?

In most 12 team drafts, you can get Luck in the 6th. You can also get James Jones later. I think Jones will have a decent year, but no way he duplicates those TD's.

You should never take a kicker or defense before the last two rounds, and you should never draft more than one kicker or defense.

Hope this helps.

If this was a 2 RB, 2 WR and a flex league, you definitely want your third RB before your third WR and definitely before a TE unless it's Jimmy Graham.

qwertvt
    qwertvt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Thanks for the insight. It was a 14 team draft with three wide receivers. I am using yahoo's mock draft. Thanks for the pointers.

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

As stated if this was a 12 teamer you definitely reached for Luck. not taking a 3rd RB until 8th round is unheard of. RB is the most important position and you wanna load up early. I usually will go RB,RB first 2 rounds take a WR in the 3rd and take another RB in the 4th round. Also taking Kicker, defense in 10th and 11 rounds is a no no as well. you don't draft those 2 positions until final 2 rounds. Their is no way the giants D is worth of the 11th round. Their defense is towards the bottom of the league actually and will be very bad this year. And 1 more thing never take more than 1 kicker or defense. Keep doing mock drafts and pay attention to how other people draft.

RyanLeafOfBets
    Team Dexter

Quote Originally Posted by qwertvt View Post
    Thanks for the insight. It was a 14 team draft with three wide receivers. I am using yahoo's mock draft. Thanks for the pointers.
    In that case, Luck wasn't a huge reach.
    I would probably go... RB, WR, RB, WR, QB, WR, RB, TE, WR, RB, QB, RB, TE, WR, D, K

Obviously if a TE you REALLY like is there in the 6th or 7th, it's worth a gamble. I read a stat that 18 TE's had between 500 and 800 yards last year (and I happen to like a few of the later TE's this year, so I've been waiting until the later rounds for a TE).

I think Romo, Stafford, Russell Wilson, and Andrew Luck are all about the same tier of QB this season (for fantasy purposes), and you should be able to get one of them in the 5th round.

ramones951
    ramones951's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 891

Don't draft McFadden

RyanLeafOfBets
    Team Dexter

Quote Originally Posted by ramones951 View Post
    Don't draft McFadden
    A lot of people are down on McFadden this year, but the fact that he has nobody to steal carries makes him worth drafting in my opinion. If he stays healthy, he's going to get 275+ touches.

ramones951
    ramones951's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 891

I agree but it's simply not worth the injury risk. This guy is as far from durable as it gets. Waste of a third round pick..

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Quote Originally Posted by qwertvt View Post
    Avoid drafting McFadden at all costs. TY Hilton was a very underrated and good pick. Hilton should post 1000 yards or more an 9-10 TDs this year if he stays healthy.

Also Luck is drafted too high.....should have waited for Romo or Eli later down in the draft.

Not bad for a 14 team league though.

convick
    convick's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3683

Take RBs 1st 3 picks.

Don't draft two kickers. Don't draft two defenses.

Use last two picks on K and DEF.

broadway6
    on to the next one
    broadway6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1338

IMHO Thomas in the 2nd round is a bad pick. Load up on RBs early. WR is deep.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by RyanLeafOfBets View Post
    A lot of people are down on McFadden this year, but the fact that he has nobody to steal carries makes him worth drafting in my opinion. If he stays healthy, he's going to get 275+ touches.
    Man, I just don't know with this guy.

He has yet to prove he is even worthy of being a feature back. One decent year, and 4 bad ones - with questionable production even when healthy.

Guy played 1 game less than his breakout season last year, and didn't even hit 1000 all purpose yards.

Worthy of a flier only if you're desperate in my opinion.

Delgreco
    Delgreco's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not a terrible team..its hard to be too bad with all the info out today, but Id agree, that maybe you could have waited a bit for Luck or a Luck type QB and went with another WR at that point.

dudekid
    the mon-fri fantasy guy
    dudekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

i agree i'd leave mcfadden alone...not worth it, the oakland raiders are going to be absolutely terrible and they just lost their starting LT i believe for the season...mcfadden is incredibly injury prone and has no business going in the 2nd round in my opinion

the_situation
    the_situation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6309

Quote Originally Posted by RyanLeafOfBets View Post
    Marcel Reece... and McFadden staying healthy... ya not happening

OldHickory
    OldHickory's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1355

[QUOTE=qwertvt;19420192]

I have never participated in fantasy football so I decided to do a mock draft. Does anyone have any suggestions or criticisms about how I did? I am sure I made some mistakes.>

1.Marshawn Lynch (Sea - RB)
    2. Demaryius Thomas (Den - WR)
    3. Darren McFadden (Oak - RB)
    4. Andrew Luck (Ind - QB)
    5. James Jones (GB - WR)
    6. Kyle Rudolph (Min - TE)
    7. T.Y. Hilton (Ind - WR)
    8. BenJarvus Green-Ellis (Cin - RB)
    9. Carson Palmer (Ari - QB)
    10. Shayne Graham (Cle - K)
    11. New York (NYG - DEF)
    12. Zach Miller (Sea - TE)
    13. Brandon LaFell (Car - WR)
    14. Graham Gano (Car - K)
    15. Minnesota (Min - DEF>

Don't draft DMC, unless he falls . Don't draft a QB that high, Luck is not worth a 4th Rd. pick anyway. James Jones has bust written all over him, would not draft him. I don't like Rudolf for fantasy, freak athlete, but only player worth drafting on Vikings is Peterson. Don't draft 2 QB's unless they are both below average, you draft them late, and you're playing match ups with them. DO Not draft a kicker before the last 2 rounds. Do not draft a DEF until the last few Rds. Don't draft 2 kickers or 2 DEF....by far the worst draft I have ever seen..without question.

OldHickory
    OldHickory's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1355

Unless this is a 14 player or 16 player league, you did terrible.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

After a bit of experience on this years trends in drafting I find the best bet is to draft RB's back to back in 1 and 2. Solidify that, then draft based on value. If you can get two stud RB's and then somehow steal Graham in the 3rd, your point breakdown based on tiers would be ideal, and would allow you insane flexibility the rest of the way.

Everyone is going to be fighting for a RB in the mid rounds, don't be that guy.

Hell, go back-to-back-to-back RB's if Graham isn't there in the 3rd, and a viable rb is there.