C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

Capping the NFL coaching staffs

The head coach gets all the credit but what about the GM's, the Offensive coordinators, the play callers, the defensive coordinators, special teams coach, position coaches? It really is a coaching staff.

Starting with the NFL East.

Giants.
    Coughlin - Very good overall NFL head coach. More of a CEO type, he's not calling plays, let's his c's do their thing. Trigger happy New Yorkers wanted to fire him early on but I am glad the Giants stuck with him.
    Kevin Gilbride - He's good and been there for years and won multiple super bowls too. He has good chemistry with Eli. The Giants are lucky he's been there for years and no team wants to take him as a head coach.
    Perry Fewell - He's not very good.
    Former pro bowl special teamer Larry Izzo is an assistant special teams coach.

Good staff overall. The Giants need a better DC. The Giants DC is a high profile job that has led to head coaching jobs for Bill Bellichick, John Fox, Steve Spagnolu.

Cowboys
    Jason Garrett - I think he's better than average. Cowboy hates will dog anything Dallas. The Cowboys need to stick with him instead of ripping it up and probably not getting anybody much better anyway.
    Bill Callahan - He's a former coach who took a team to a super bowl. Solid OC choice.
    Monte Kiffin - Father of Tampa 2. He's certainly famous. I think him and Dungy are overrated.
    D-Line coach Rod Marinelli is a former head coach.
    Former NFL QB Wade Wilson is Romo's QB coach.

Good staff overall. High profile coordinators, Jason Garrett needs to prove his worth in the NFL and soon. Jerry Jones had very high hopes for him that the Princeton guy and former player would be very good. He has been a disappointment thus far but I wouldn't give him the hook. He needs Dallas to make the playoffs this year and I'd say they have a decent shot.

Redskins
    Mike Shannihan - One of the best coaches in the league. Him or Coughlin is the best in the NFC East.
    Kyle Shannihan - I like him, he's young but I think he's one of the better OC's in the league.
    Jim Haslett - Former head coach but I don't think he's that good but he's probably above average.
    DB coach Raheem Morris is a former NFL head coach as a position coach.

Overall a very solid staff. Maybe the best top to bottom in the division. I am no Haslett fan but he still has to be considered at least average, but probably better as a DC. I am higher on Kyle Shannihan than others but he has a good footprint of success and I like the way his offenses play.

Eagles
    Chip Kelly - I am very interested to see how he does. I think he will do better than expected.
    Pat Shrmur - I don't know a lot about him but he is a former head coach of Cleveland.
    Billy Davis - Browns LB coach last year. Former OC at one point. Don't know much about him but not impressed with his resume.

Brand new staff. I think Chip Kelly will do better than people think. I don't know a lot about his coordinators but his OC is a former head coach. Overall I'd say the Eagles have the lowest rated coaching staff in the division.

Here is another litmus test for the NFC East.
    If Coughlin is fired he could become another head coach if he wants. He has good connections with coordinators.
    If Shannihan is fired he could become another head coach if he wants.
    If Garrett is fired he's probably an OC somewhere but not a head coach.
    If Chip Kelly is fired he's probably going back to college.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Play calling is important in the nfl
    Coaches motivating players is important
    Although it all comes down to the QB..thats how you really cape

Huego
    Huego's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4877

Jason Garrett- his players make stupid mistakes and don't play smart at all...both traits are clear reflections of the coach. he's also a horrible ingame manager, doesn't know how to utilize clock management and timeouts at the end of games.

Kevin Gilbride- I think he's an overrated play caller. run plays are too predictable and it seems like eli is regressing.

Billy Davis- I'm familiar with his work as DC for the 49ers. He's terrible. The eagles defense is going to be one of the worse in the league. Horrible scheme and no talent, bad combination.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Panthers and Broncos are 2 of the worst.

Patriots and 49ers and Ravens are among the best.

nikossf
    I dont play at SHIT books
    nikossf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

Wish you had write ups like these for the assistants, coordinators on every team.

C-Gold

Packers
    McCarthy - I like him. He's young and already won a SB. I like the way he handled the Favre transition, he's a good leader. He speaks well, he's straight forward.
    Tom Clements - Last year was his first year ever as an OC. Former QB, QB coach pedigree. Very inexperiened OC.
    Dom Capers - Former head coach, one of the better defensive coordinators in the game.
    Keven Greene LB coach. One of the best pass rushing LB's of the last 30 years.
    Alex Van Pelt - Former QB is a running back coach, that's interesting, maybe for pass blocking/pass offense?

Easily the best staff in the division. Overall a good staff. McCarthy is a good leader with a solid voice, he lets Capers do what he wants on defense, I'd have to imagine Greene is a good LBs coach and could have a future as a DC? The one weakness in my opinion is the OC. Last year was his first year as an OC and the offense seemed to drop off some. The Pack's QB is probably good enough to mask the inexperience of the young OC.

Chicago
    Mark Trestman - Only Jewish head coach in the NFL. Former players are saying he know's the X's and O's but can he lead men? Can this former CFL coach get in NFL players faces if they aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing?
    Aaron Kromer - Saints interim HC last year. O-line pedigree, has never been an offensive coordinator before.
    Mel Tucker - has been a DC for the Browns and Jags for the last 4 years.
    Joe DeCamillis - Dallas Special teams coordinator the last 3 years, the guy has been a ST coach since 1988.

Trestman sounds like a Norv Turner type, the guy knows offense but can he lead? If former players are already questioning that the answer doesn't sound good. It appears ownership hired him in an attempt to resurrect Jay Cutler's career because it probably wouldn't have happened under Lovie. Remember Chicago gave up a lot for him. So they bring in an offensive guy and he hired an unproven OC with an O-line pedigree to rebuild that line. Trestman will probably have a big hand in how that offense is run. This is an unproven staff to keep an eye on.

Minnesota Vikings
    Leslie Frazier. Some people had high hopes for him, I am not that impressed.
    Bill Musgrave. The Chiefs and Vikings offenses looked very different than other NFL offenses.
    Alan Williams. Another coach from Tony Dungy's tree. Long time DB coach who had his first year as a DC last year.
    Mike Singeltary LB coach. An (awful) former HC that is now a DC.

The backup QB is always the most popular guy on the team, well Leslie Frazier was always popular whenever Brad Childress was coach. Childress foolishly hitched his wagon to Tavaras Jackson so he couldn't win despite a really talented roster. The DC was an articulte black guy that was supposed to be the savior but he's not. He's not that good, just another affirmative action coach in the Dungy tree. Leslie Frazier loved Christian Ponder and he sucks. Now the OC has to run a run a 1970's offense in a passing NFL. The DC is another Dungy disciplie with 1 year as a DC.

It's also funny that Mike Singeltary ended up here on this staff that is roughly 50% black and 50% white and 1 Japanese coach. Fools loved Singeltary because he yelled a lot and yellers are perceived as "caring" and "doing something". He was an awful coach in SF stuck on a medievel mindset of run the ball and play defense. Just look at the difference between him and Harbaugh. Those 49ers teams were every bit as talented but they were winning 5 games instead of divisions. I TOLD YOU SO FOOLS. I am not impressed by this coaching staff. Sure they snuck into the playoffs last year but as long as Ponder or Cassell is their QB they will never seriously contend. By the time they bring somebody new in AP could be nearing the end of his career.

Detroit Lions
    Schwartz is supposed to be smart but don't pretend you are a tough guy, Jim Harbaugh would knock you out son.
    Scott Linehan has been a head coach and a successful OC in this league.
    Gunther Cunningham has been in the league forever, been a former head coach and had a good record in KC as a DC.

I don't really like Schwartz and he really needs to cut the tough guy routine, you aren't fooling anybody. Based on the coordinators I'd probably say this is the 2nd best staff in the division. With that said Schwartz is on the hot seat and I don't see the Lions doing that well this year. There is a good chance he gets fired this year and I'd say he does. If he doesn't its because his coordinators have such a great year. Stafford isn't very good. I think Reggie Bush adds to this offense though.

The NFC East clearly has better coaches than this division. The Packers are clearly #1. I am no Schwartz fan and he could easily lose his job this year but based on the coordinators I'd rank them #2. I am no Leslie Frazier fan and Trestman is unproven coming over from the CFL.

C-Gold

Saints
    Sean Payton is one of the best offensive minds in the game and he's already won a SB. Bounty gate could have happened to anyone.
    Carmichael Jr. How important is he? Sean Payton has such a footprint on the offense I don't know that the OC matters that much.
    Rob Ryan. I give him the benefit of doubt, I believe he's above average and with an aggressive offense they need an aggressive defense.
    Henry Ellard was an awesome receiver and should be a good WR coach.

I like Sean Payton a lot. I like his play calling and game planning and the ability to think outside the box - go for an onsides kick to start the 2nd half of the SB. He works well with Brees. I like the RB by committee approach. He does well without big name WRs, he just plugs guys like Colston/Moore/Graham in and they do well. If you are going to have a good offense you don't want to play some boring conservative defense, Rob Ryan will have an aggressive defense which I believe fits well with this team. If the defense can just be average OR create a lot of turnovers then the sky is the limit for this team.

Atlanta Falcons
    Mike Smith. The team by far had the least penalties in the league last year. Smith doesn't get talked about a lot, but I think the Falcons or 49ers were the most well coached team overall last year.
    Dirk Koetter. I loved what he did with that offense last year, I thought the play calling was excellent. Keep it up.
    Mike Nolan. I am no Mike Nolan fan but I think he did a good job as a DC. The Falcons defense outplayed their talent level last year.
    Terry Robiske is a good WR coach.
    Tim Lewis the secondary coach has been a DC before.
    Keith Armstrong has been a special teams coach since 1997.

I'd argue that the Falcons and 49ers were the two best coached teams last year. I'd expect the Falcons to receive excellent coaching this year as well although the team's record might not match last year. Management has done a good job rebuilding the Vick disaster ever since they selected Matt Ryan and put together a plan.

Carolina
    Ron Rivera - He's one of the weaker head coaches in the league.
    Mike Shula - I don't know a lot about him but last year was his first year as the OC of the team.
    Sean McDermott - Long time Eagles coach. He wasn't a good DC so why bring him in to be one?
    Ken Dorsey is the QB coach.
    Ricky Proehl WR coach.

This might be the weakest overall coaching staff in the NFL.

Tampa Bay
    Greg Schiano. He's a yeller. He might be the real deal?
    Mike Sullivan. Very inexperienced. Brand new OC, first job as OC last year.
    Bill Sheridan. Inexperienced as a DC. Mostly a college position coach.
    Dave Wansdatt Special teams coordinator is a former Bears head coach.
    Brian Cox is the defensive front 7 coach, he was a bad ass player.
    Earnest Byner RB coach - hold onto the football!

The coordinators are very inexperienced and they don't have the best resumes. I liked something about Schiano last year. He seems like he has a good process and he demands excellence. Apparently he isn't big on Josh Freeman and this is public knowledge. This is probably a good thing to part ways with the QB because you probably won't ever win with him. A Head Coach, especially a young unproven head coach and his QB go hand and hand. Maybe Schiano sees he's not a winner and wants to cut him loose as quick as possible. Shape up or you are gone.

Due to the overall package I'd rank the Falcons coaching staff #1, but I do like Sean Payton more than Mike Nolan and with that said the Saints could potentially out coach them this year. Carolina and Tampa's coaching staffs clearly aren't on that level but if I had to bet I like Schiano more than Ron Rivera.

C-Gold

49ers
    Jim Harbough is one of the better coaches in the NFL. Good leader, former player, authoritative, winner and knows offense.
    Greg Roman. Guy was coaching High school football in 2008, but he (and Harbaugh) did a phenomenal job as the OC the last 2 years.
    Vic Fangio. Another guy who came over from Stanford. He's done a great job since coming over with Harbaugh.
    Eric Mangini - He is an offensive consultant. Former head coach.
    Tom Rathman RB coach

Part of being a good coach is picking the right coordinators. The 49ers have been a well oiled machine since Harbaugh took over. Mike Singeltary was an F- head coach and Harbaugh has been an A+ head coach thus far. Coaching in the NFL matters big time and the 49ers are proof. Eric Mangini might not have been a good head coach but he's a smart guy, bringing him in might help with game planning, running that dynamic offense. The 49ers and Falcons were the two best coached teams in the NFL in my opinion and I'd say the 49ers were #1.

Seattle
    Pete Carroll - Is he that good of a head coach? The guy won with stacked teams at USC, but as I just mentioned part of being a good coach is spotting talent, not just players, he always had the best talent at USC but coaches also. Wasn't Matt Flynn brought in to start last year? It might not look like it now but it was a risky move to bench him for Russell Wilson.
    Darrell Bevell Did a good job last year, has good OC experience.
    Dan Quinn. Brand new DC replacing Gus Bradley.
    Tom Cable - former head coach as the O-Line head coach
    Ken Norton Jr as a LB coach, could have a future as a DC?

Pete seems like an air head but the guy has put together a solid team. I don't like that that talented defense losses Gus Bradley and has a brand new defensive coordinator at the helm. I mean you can't really mess that defense up but will they be playing to their full potential?

Rams
    Jeff Fisher is one of the best head coaches in the game. Very wise, good teacher, hard competitor, good strategist.
    Brian Schottenheimer - Formerly with the Jets. Did well with what he had, what do you expect with Dirty Sanchez as your QB?
    Tim Walton - I know nothing about him.
    Clyde Simmons D-Line coach
    Chuck Cecil Secondary coach

I like Fisher a lot. He makes teams better. He can always expect a competitive product on the field. He's a coach that also understands the NFL rules very well, and coaches special teams well. He's very competent and the Rams could win this division.

Arizona
    Bruce Arians did a great job last year with the Colts.
    Harold Goodwin. Is he the only black OC in the league? Well he is an O-Line coach with this first year as the OC.
    Todd Bowles. He was maybe the worst defensive coordinator in the NFL last year.
    Tom Moore is good, you remember him from the Colts all those years.
    Brenston Buckner D-Line coach
    John Lott the crazy meat head athletic trainer

I like what Bruce Arians did last year filling in for Chuck Pagano but I don't like his DC selection at all, and I his OC pick is also very questionable. Just because he was good last year doesn't mean he will be good again. This coaching staff also looks very weak due to the two coordinators.

49ers are the best staff in the division. I like Jeff Fisher enough to give the Rams the #2 overall coaching staff due to Seattle losing their DC. The Cards are clearly the worst coaching staff in the division.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

FYI The Panthers offensive coordinator for the first time

"this coming season"

he was the QB coach last season.

But i agree Panthers have the weakest coaching staff in the NFL ...

nice gueys and all i assume

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

For the 80x time

NFL capping is all about qb's

MobFade
    MobFade's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 987

It all makes sense now ... you're a niners fan.

unluckysob
    unluckysob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12702

THANKS----good read

Fred The Hammer
    Fred The Hammer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8395

Good stuff......GB might have the best staff in the NFC North but I'm not that impressed with them either. The defense is pretty soft other than Matthews and it seems like they try to get Rodgers killed on a weekly basis with the lack of a running game. As for Bruce Arians....good OC but I seriously doubt Palmer makes it halfway thru the season with all the deep drops in his system. Luck got the absolute shit knocked out of him last year. I disagree that Jason Garrett is above average although in his defense ole Jerrrahh drafts horseshit most of the time.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post
    Minnesota Vikings
    Leslie Frazier. Some people had high hopes for him, I am not that impressed.
    Bill Musgrave. The Chiefs and Vikings offenses looked very different than other NFL offenses.
    Alan Williams. Another coach from Tony Dungy's tree. Long time DB coach who had his first year as a DC last year.
    Mike Singeltary LB coach. An (awful) former HC that is now a DC.
    Most of the players like Frazier. He was in contention to be coach of the year last season and took a team most had pegged for 3 wins to the playoffs. Musgrave on the other hand gets way too conservative. His playcalling doesn't make sense at times including the playoff game against Green Bay. Singletary is a better assistant than head coach.

Fred The Hammer
    Fred The Hammer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8395

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Most of the players like Frazier. He was in contention to be coach of the year last season and took a team most had pegged for 3 wins to the playoffs. Musgrave on the other hand gets way too conservative. His playcalling doesn't make sense at times including the playoff game against Green Bay. Singletary is a better assistant than head coach.

Doesn't matter how good Frazier is or not if he's stuck with Ponder. It comes down to how much control a coach has. Jason Garrett sat and watched Troy Aikman for 10 years....I bet he knows by now that Romo doesn't have what it takes but he wants to coach so he does what Jerry says.

Pick'nParlays
    My Wifi Name is PrettyFly4aWifi
    Pick'nParlays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 738

[QUOTE=C-Gold;19432072]49ers
    Jim Harbough is one of the better coaches in the NFL. Good leader, former player, authoritative, winner and knows offense.
    Greg Roman. Guy was coaching High school football in 2008, but he (and Harbaugh) did a phenomenal job as the OC the last 2 years.
    Vic Fangio. Another guy who came over from Stanford. He's done a great job since coming over with Harbaugh.
    Eric Mangini - He is an offensive consultant. Former head coach.
    Tom Rathman RB coach

Part of being a good coach is picking the right coordinators. The 49ers have been a well oiled machine since Harbaugh took over. Mike Singeltary was an F- head coach and Harbaugh has been an A+ head coach thus far. Coaching in the NFL matters big time and the 49ers are proof. Eric Mangini might not have been a good head coach but he's a smart guy, bringing him in might help with game planning, running that dynamic offense. The 49ers and Falcons were the two best coached teams in the NFL in my opinion and I'd say the 49ers were #1.

I agree SINGLETARY was not a great head coach but he had something to do with drafting this team. Those LB's holy cow.

LetsGoPats
    LetsGoPats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 168

Haven't been impressed by Capers work over the last few years.

Best coaches in my opinion are: BB, the Harbaughs and Peyton;

Worst: Ron Rivera, Jim Schwartz and Jason Garret

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

Jim Schwartz has no bussiness still having a head coaching job in the NFL. guy should've been gone midway through last season

Smutbucket
    Smutbucket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13748

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    For the 80x time

NFL capping is all about qb's
    jj this stupid opinion is ignored for a reason

I started finding a lot more success in my football handicapping 3 years ago when I started evaluating and paying close attention to the coaching staffs. thanks cgold for this thread

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Fred The Hammer View Post
    Good stuff......GB might have the best staff in the NFC North but I'm not that impressed with them either. The defense is pretty soft other than Matthews and it seems like they try to get Rodgers killed on a weekly basis with the lack of a running game. As for Bruce Arians....good OC but I seriously doubt Palmer makes it halfway thru the season with all the deep drops in his system. Luck got the absolute shit knocked out of him last year. I disagree that Jason Garrett is above average although in his defense ole Jerrrahh drafts horseshit most of the time.
    The Packers defense in Rodgers 1st year as a starter was awful. Capers came in the next year and cleaned things up - I predicted that too and had Packers futures but that was the year Rodgers got hit/face masked and threw that pick 6 to Karlos Dansby and the Cards went on to the super bowl led by awesome Kurt Warner play.

Capers is really good but they need some pass rush opposite of Clay maker. I agree the pass rush sucked but Nick Perry played in 6 games last year and had 2 sacks.

Remember the Pack's 1st round draft pick is a D-Lineman to pair with former 1st rounder BJ. Raji and 340 lb nose tackle Ryan Pickett.

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Who cares? A lot of players hated Bill Parcells. A lot of current players don't like Bellicheck. Lots of players liked Romeo Crennell, he sucked.

Football is a thinking game. It is a mental game. It is game planning. Playing "harder" is very overrated. The team that wins football games isn't the team that "hits" harder. Mike Singeltary is a caveman walking around with a hammer that thought everything was a nail. He knew nothing about putting together a modern passing game and he wasted so much talent.

Frazier made some big comments about Christian Ponder, I don't see it. It was a big mistake to reach in the 1st round like that and draft him. Yes the Vikings did better than expected last year because of one of the best RB seasons you will ever see. I give more of the credit to Peterson the future hall of famer than the coach.

C-Gold

[QUOTE=Pick'nParlays;19435578]
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post

I agree SINGLETARY was not a great head coach but he had something to do with drafting this team. Those LB's holy cow.
    I hate this argument. It reminds me of Tony Dungy having stacked teams fall flat on their faces in the playoffs playing boring, ultra conservative football. They never won and they were never going to win. Dungy was an awful game planner/game manager. So then he leaves and Gruden, who does know how to game plan, takes over and wins the very next year. Then people want to credit Dungy? Dungy could have coached that Bucs team for 5 more years and never won. YOU HAVE TO WIN super bowls, not just hope your opponents beat themselves. That's why these excellent passers keep winning all the super bowls. Yeah a Trent Dilfer might sneak in there once a decade but that's the exception not the rule.

Itsamazing777
    Not interested....
    Itsamazing777's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1724

Schwartz is from the south. He'd kick harbs ass.
    One moment from last season where he got mad, makes him a bad coach??

C-Gold

Patriots
    BB is the best coach in the NFL period.
    Josh Mcdaniels is a very good OC. He even got the most out of Kyle Orton in Denver. Was not a good head coach.
    Matt Patricia, 1st year as a DC last year and the Pats had the 8th worst defense ranked by yards. He was a Patriots offensive assistant for 2 years, he coached Patriots LB's and secondary for 6 years before becoming a DC. I guess BB is trying to groom him? I'm not impressed.
    Pepper Johnson.

BB is the best in the business, McDaniels is a very good OC, the DC isn't very good but Bellicheck is going to have his hand in the defense anyway. Bellicheck + McDaniels is very good.

Miami
    Joe Philbin. He was a good OC for 5 years and then became a head coach.
    Mike Sherman has been a HC in the league before.
    Kevin Coyle. Guy has a light resume but the D was good. Last year was his first as a DC, let's see you do it again.

Team signed a lot of free agents, the odds are this team doesn't live up to expectations. Philbin gets fired within a couple seasons and Tannehill is a backup QB somewhere.

Jets
    Rex Ryan. Great attacking defensive mind. I think he's a very good coach but his mouth is going to get him in trouble, in NY.
    Marty Mornhinwig. Jets offense was a disaster last year but with injuries and Sanchez, was it his fault? This is a former HC.
    Dennis Thurman. Brand new DC in his 1st year. Guy has been a position coach his entire life. This is a "token hire", make no mistake that Rex is going to run the defense.

Bills
    Doug Marrone, another college coach to the Pros. A couple years as an OC in the NFL, mostly a college position coach. He has one of the weakest resumes of any head coach in the NFL.
    Nathaniel Hackett - brought over from Cuse to be the OC. He only has 2 years experience as a college OC. This could be a disaster.
    Mike Pettine - 3 years experience as Jets DC under Rex Ryan.

This is by far the least experienced coaching staff in the NFL. The head coach and the OC's resume are a joke.

The Pats clearly have the best coaches in the AFC East. I'd go Rex #2, then Miami, and Buffalo at the bottom. Buffalo could end up by far being the worst coached team in the league.

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Itsamazing777 View Post
    Schwartz is from the south. He'd kick harbs ass.
    One moment from last season where he got mad, makes him a bad coach??
    Schwartz was born and raised outside Baltimore, went to college in DC. Last time I checked that's North of the Mason Dixon line.

I agree you shouldn't judge a coach on his personality but if Bill Parcells wants to be a hard ass, that works. If Mike Singeltary wants to be a hard ass, that works. If Ron Rivera wants to be a hard ass, Jim Harbaugh that works. If Norv Turner or Jason Garrett want to play Mr. Tough guy then it doesn't work. Schwartz is a weenie.

Now with that out of the way, what about his resume impresses you that much? I am talking about in Tennessee or Detroit? He had some talented D-Lines with the Titans, he was famous for NOT blitzing because his front 4 created pressure. OK, is that a product of some tactical genius puppet mastering or did he get pressure with 4 D-Lineman because they were just good?

Itsamazing777
    Not interested....
    Itsamazing777's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1724

I meant majority down south, but that was more of a joke.
    i think he can be good, we will have to see

C-Gold

Baltimore
    John Harbaugh won last year but I am not completly sold on him. All the guy does is wins in the NFL but the Ravens have one of the best GMs in the game giving him talent. He seems to excel at organization and being detail oriented but coach looks better when he has good talent. He probably is a pretty good coach, but I am not ready to crown him an elite coach by any means.
    Jim Caldwell. I don't like him as an OC, Cam Cameron is a much better offensive coordinator.
    Dean Peas mostly a college coach, he was the Pats DC from 2004- 2009. How good were those defenses?
    Steve Spagnulo is a "special defensive assistant". Good to have him around, he has been a good DC before.

Ozzie is an elite GM, maybe #1, or #2. As long as he is around the Ravens should do well. Harbaugh has an amazing record but he's had amazing people around him. If instead he took Andy Reid's job to rebuild the Chiefs, do you think he'd do any better than Andy will do? I don't.

Pittsburgh Steelers
    Mike Tomlin. Same exact thing with Tomlin as John Harbaugh. Guy has benefited from being a part of one of the top 5 organizations in football.
    Todd Haley is a good offensive mind. Players hate playing for him, he's a tyrant.
    Dick LeBeau is a legend.

LeBeau gets my vote for best DC in the game. Haley and Lebeau is one of the best OC/DC combos. I am not a big Tomlin fan, he makes tactical mistakes in games but overall this is still one of the best coaching staffs in the league.

Cincinnati
    Marvin Lewis. Never should have got the job in the first place. Affirmative action in place. Hasn't won a playoff game in 10 years. He would have been fired a long time ago but he coaches for the cheapest ownership in the game.
    Jay Gruden. I like what he's done with Andy Dalton. Crazy considering he has an Arena background.
    Mike Zimmer has been a DC since 2000. I am not impressed. Guy has had his moments, overall maybe he is average.

Bengals team talent improving but it's crazy Marvin Lewis still has a job. A broken clock is right twice per day but Marvin Lewis still hasn't won a playoff game in 10 years and he has a job.

Browns
    Chudzinski. Guy had 1 great year with Cam Newton and parlayed that into a head coaching job. Cam regressed after he left.
    Norv Turner. Maybe not the #1 OC in the game but he's one of the better offensive minds in the game. I think he's a little underrated as a head coach. Everybody knows he wasn't great but people talk about him like he was a D or F head coach. He was an average head coach but a very good OC.
    Ray Horton. 2 years as a DC in Arizona, now another DC job, 1st year with Cleveland.

Carolina really improved under Chudzinski but they were going from an injured Jimmy Claussen mess to Cam catching the league by surprise. Guy is underqualified to be a HC and so is his DC. I wouldn't be shocked if within 2 years he's fired and Norv takes over as an interim. I don't see this working out for the guy.

Due to the coordinators I'd rank Pittsburgh #1 as far as coaching in the division, then Baltimore. 3rd and 4th place are way behind.

C-Gold

Houston
    Gary Kubiak. I really like Kubiak as a head coach. I think he has a very strong offensive mind and is a good leader. Might be the 2nd best head coach in the AFC after Bellicheck.
    Rick Dennison has been OC since 2010. I like Houston's offense but I credit a lot of it to Kubiak.
    Wade Phillips is one of the best DC's in the game. Dumb head coach but boy this guy knows defense.

Kubiak offense plus Wade Phillips defense make me like this coaching staff a lot. The problem is they need to win because expectations are getting up there.

Colts

Chuck did a good job last year but it wasn't Chuck, it was Bruce Arians. I doubt Chuck would have done as good of a job.
    Pep Hamilton. 1st year as an OC.
    Greg Manusky. 3 stints as a DC, I am not impressed.
    Clyde Christensen was an OC for 3 years, now is QB coach.

It makes more sense to have Christensen as OC instead of Pep Hamilton. I think the coaching staff is overall worse this year but maybe Andrew Luck improves to mask over the weaker coaching staff.

Titans
    Mike Munchak. I see a guy like Mike Munchak or Greg Sciano and I like some of the stuff I see and think these guys might be good, or maybe they just play the part well. Neither figure to have a very long leash so we will see. Munchak is supposed to know O-lines and he got two super star guards so it's put up or shut up time.
    Dowell Loggains is a brand new OC with little experience. It doesn't mean he will suck but the odds are against him.
    Jerry Gray. Defense sucked last year but the pass rush sucked too. Gray was a 1st time DC last year but it doesn't look good.
    Dave Ragonne QB coach. If he was a better QB he could still be playing.
    Sylvester Croom RB coach, former college HC.

I don't like that you have brand new OCs and DCs with little track record. Maybe Mike Munchak doesn't have the proper connections to build a proper coaching staff? He goes from a long time O-line coach to a head coach. I don't think Jake Locker will get the coaching he needs from this staff, they will try and build an O-line, run game. The NFL in 2013 is a passing and stop the pass league. This could end up one of the weakest coaching staffs in the league. They might win some games running the ball but you can't contend without a QB.

Jacksonville
    Gus Bradley did well with Seattle. He went against conventional wisdom and went with huge CBs, and a Safety the size of a LB when most coaches go speed speed speed, he went with size. I like that.
    Jeff Fisch is a college OC who inherited a college QB in Blaine Gabbart. I am not impressed with what he did with J. Harris in Miami.
    Bob Babich. Guy has been mostly a LB coach his entire career with a 2 year stint as a DC in Chicago in 07-08. Not impressed.

Gus did a good job in his one and only stint as a DC but make no mistake, this coaching staff is rough and he has one of the least talented rosters in the league.

Houston is clearly the best coaching staff in the AFC South. The other 3 are not very impressive at all.

C-Gold

Denver
    Fox has been to the SB before, he's a solid coach.
    Adam Gase is listed as the OC but we all know Peyton Manning is the OC of this offense.
    Jack Del Rio is DC and I like him a lot. He's a good DC and I think he did a decent job with what he had in Jacksonville.
    Greg Knapp is the QB coach, shouldn't he be OC?
    Alex Gibbs is the O-line consultant.

I like this coaching staff. One of the better overall staffs with Fox/Del Rio/Knapp and of course Peyton Manning's knowledge of offense and leadership.

Chiefs
    Fat Andy has his drawbacks. The guy can't call plays on 3rd and 1, 4th and 1, he has a tendency to never want to run the ball etc. but he knows how to get the most out of his QBs. He's an easy target but he's a very good head coach and he might know the west coast offense more than any active coach.

Doug Peterson has never been an OC before, but Andy will have a big impact on the offense.
    Bob Sutton was a LB coach last year. He was the Jets DC from 06-08 but has a weak resume.
    Emmitt Thomas has been a DC before.
    Brad Childress is on Reids staff on offense, a former head coach who has coached with Reid before.
    Some former players as position coaches.

Romeo was a disaster, Reid will improve this team.

Chargers
    Mike McCoy. I like how adaptable he was in Denver. He completely changed his offense to a high school/college playbook when Tebow came in. Guy did a great job but is he head coaching material? Another light resume.
    Ken Whisenhunt. I like him. I think he has a better resume some NFL coaches but he never did rebuild that Cards line. I think he will be a head coach again.
    John Pagano. Not very experienced.
    Frank Reich as QB coach.

I see Whisenhunt more qualified to be the head coach than McCoy.

Raiders
    Dennis Allen. Didn't have a great resume before he got the job. Oversaw a 4-12 team last year. How long before he's fired?
    Greg Olson - Has been an OC for 3 teams in the past.
    Jason Tarver. Last year was his first year as an NFL DC and he sucked.
    Al Saunders is on the offensive coaching staff.
    Tony Sporano is on the offensive coaching staff.

The TV networks groan when a "retread" or a former coach, or an "old ball coach", or "coaching club" guy gets a job but those guys have connections. Look at what happens when you have an "outsider" or a "new" guy coach. Look at this staff. Dennis Allen didn't have any connections. Andy Reid goes to KC and he brings Brad Childress with him, they have coached together before. This coaching staff looks like it is a bunch of newbies and guys that couldn't get jobs anywhere else.

The NFL and media are obviously pushing for more black coaches too. To be a head coach you usually need to be a coordinator first. How many black OCs are there? 2 and they are brand new and they are both likely to fall flat on their faces. So you either hire a position coach like Raheem Morris and watch him fall flat on his face or just let the best coaches get jobs. The NFL affirmative action looks stupid at this point.

So the West is pretty clear and dry as far as coaching staffs.
    Denver is #1
    KC is #2
    SD is #3
    Oakland is #4, also contending for worst in the league.

C-Gold

Best Staffs in the NFC
    Tier 1: 49ers, Falcons
    Tier 2: Redskins
    Tier 2A: Saints, Packers, Giants, Rams Seattle

Worst in the NFC
    Carolina, Arizona

Best Staffs in the AFC

Patriots, Steelers, Baltimore, Houston, Denver.
    Good shot Rex gets fired but he will coach again, I'd still consider him one of the better head coaches in the AFC.

Worst in the AFC
    Oakland, Buffalo

A lot of others in the AFC have potential to suck also, Miami, Browns, Colts, Titans, Chargers

C-Gold

Week 1 update

Chip Kelly did outperform expectations as I said.
    Marc Trestman's offense looked way out of sync, boring, didn't throw the ball downfield, not a good start to his tenure.
    Marvin Lewis was awful and gave the game away to the Bears. 8 penalties, 3 bad turnovers, 12 men on the field, burning all their timeouts, and a player that went out of control that potentially lost his team the game at the end with a 15 yard penalty.

etothep
    etothep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6826

Having been subjected to more than my share of Panthers games due to where I live, I can say that, if nothing else, they have the absolute least creative coaching staff in the league. They neither bring nor attempt to bring anything new, creative or diverse to the table on either side of the ball. Seems like they play not to lose as oppose to trying to win & the results back that up

Whether you like or hate Newton, you have to admit his abilities are being completely wasted by the current Panthers coaching staff who act like they have Brad Johnson behind center

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by etothep View Post
    Having been subjected to more than my share of Panthers games due to where I live, I can say that, if nothing else, they have the absolute least creative coaching staff in the league. They neither bring nor attempt to bring anything new, creative or diverse to the table on either side of the ball. Seems like they play not to lose as oppose to trying to win & the results back that up

Whether you like or hate Newton, you have to admit his abilities are being completely wasted by the current Panthers coaching staff who act like they have Brad Johnson behind center
    Ron Rivera is a defensive head coach. He was a teammate of Mike Singeltary who had the exact same problem with the 49ers. 2 awful head coaches. I was telling people for years how stupid Singeltary was. The NFL changed, it changed big time and this guy think it's the 1980's where you run the ball and play defense and win.

49ers hire Jim Harbaugh who knows how to work with QB's. He produced Andrew Luck, he recruited Rg3 and almost had both of them at Stanford. He fixed Alex Smith and he build up his own guy Kaepernick. He is an outstanding coach and people see just how talented this SF team is. They are now expected to win super bowls. With Mike Singeltary the team was winning 6 games and I was pounding my fist against the table saying how wasteful he was with all those resources.

Yes - I ranked the Panthers as having one of the 2 worst coaching staffs in the NFC. If you didn't notice, the NFL is going away from defensive minded head coaches and hiring offense. The Bears even brought in an offensive minded head coach from Canada.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3353

Quote Originally Posted by etothep View Post

Have to agree with this assertion. Rivera better win and make the playoffs this year or he is done in Carolina. They have lost and gave away too many close games.