frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito
    frogsrangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5421

OTL: Johnny Manziel under NCAA investigation for being paid 5 figures for autographs

nvrlose37
    nvrlose37's Avatar Become A Pro!

I hate Outside The Lines. Just trying to start sh1it where none of it needs to be started. Who the hell cares?

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito

darren rovell (@darrenrovell) tweeted at 4:26 PM on Sun, Aug 04, 2013:
    BREAKING: The NCAA is investigating whether Johnny Manziel was paid for signing autographs http://t.co/SSdji6Nxb5
    (https://twitter.com/...135222511538176)

More.....

Joe Schad (@schadjoe) tweeted at 4:27 PM on Sun, Aug 04, 2013:
    OTL: Sources say Johnny Manziel agreed to sign memorabilia in exchange for a five-figure flat fee deal in South Florida.
    (https://twitter.com/...135647378165760)

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito

Quote Originally Posted by nvrlose37 View Post
    I hate Outside The Lines. Just trying to start sh1it where none of it needs to be started. Who the hell cares?
    Considering Ohio State got the 1 year ban for selling jerseys for tattoos, and AJ Green got 4 games for selling a jersey, this is a big deal. However since he was a Heisman winner and is on a national title contender I am sure the NCAA will find a loophole like they did for Cam Newton and sweep it under the rug.

nvrlose37
    nvrlose37's Avatar Become A Pro!

Honestly neither of those two examples warranted punishment either. NCAA is such a POS organization

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

OTL is the only good program on ESPN

OTL is just reporting this...NCAA have started the investigation.

bb_skoots
    bb_skoots's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 389

Ohio State's ban was for the cover up and not for the "crime".

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

He is just a punk

everyone starting to see it

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Are you kidding me?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Honestly neither of those two examples warranted punishment either. NCAA is such a POS organization
    You do understand what "amateur athletics" means, right? Or maybe not....

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Aggies live up to their reps. Google Aggie jokes sometime, they are hilarious.

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

man cant even sell his own sig...property of the ncaa...modern day gladiators/slaves...oh wait they get a full ride to get a humanities or general studies degree....ide rather pay my own tuition and have a little freedom but they dont even let you do that...ridic

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by NrmlCurvSurfr View Post
    man cant even sell his own sig...property of the ncaa...modern day gladiators/slaves...oh wait they get a full ride to get a humanities or general studies degree....ide rather pay my own tuition and have a little freedom but they dont even let you do that...ridic
    Wow. Just wow.

I don't even know where to start here.

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito

Is the Bama game off the board yet at LVH or Golden Nugget?

NrmlCurvSurfr

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Wow. Just wow.

I don't even know where to start here.
    if you think you are going pro, where is the motivation? not saying everyone thinks this way...but lets be real, how many athletes are getting their engineering degree or going to law school?...there now you dont have to worry about where to start lol

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Wow, that ride was over quick.

ChalkyDog

if you think you are going pro, where is the motivation? not saying everyone thinks this way...but lets be real, how many athletes are getting their engineering degree or going to law school?...there now you dont have to worry about where to start lol
    How is not taking a bunch of chill classes on their way to being a millionaire not considered "freedom".

Those taking the engineering classes are debt ridden before they even hit the job market, meaning they're already instruments of the consumer culture. Or in otherwords, they have absolutely no financial freedom.

If your life is going to be a cake walk, than why not major in Philosophy, and take a few business classes?

Hell, most major universities make their athletes enroll in a personal finance class for that very reason.
    Points Awarded:

Darkside Magick gave ChalkyDog 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

You say that like they're forced to major in humanities or general studies. They have a choice, and they're offered scholarship money to do so.

How many collegiate athletes make a living at the professional level? They can "think they're going pro" all they want, but in the meantime, you are an amateur and those rules are there for a reason.

You obviously don't get it.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Biggest dbag in sports. Right up there with LeBron.

NrmlCurvSurfr

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    How is not taking a bunch of chill classes on their way to being a millionaire not considered "freedom".

Those taking the engineering classes are debt ridden before they even hit the job market, meaning they're already instruments of the consumer culture. Or in otherwords, they have absolutely no financial freedom.

If your life is going to be a cake walk, than why not major in Philosophy, and take a few business classes?

Hell, most major universities make their athletes enroll in a personal finance class for that very reason.
    1. Going pro is not guaranteed, injury, just not good enough etc.

2. You obviously have not checked out the Houston job market

3. again, life not a guarantee to be a cake walk

You are basically property of the ncaa...cant sell or make money off yourself, school/ncaa sell the broadcast rights of YOUR talent to fat cat networks that could care less about the individual (unless you are a play maker, then they will keep you in the spot light and wait to bury you for something like selling a sig)

ncaa has basically established themselves as the only route to become pro has more power than the school that are represented...just seems like the athlete is the one who does all the work and ncaa/schools/networks make all the dough...

NrmlCurvSurfr

You say that like they're forced to major in humanities or general studies. They have a choice, and they're offered scholarship money to do so.

How many collegiate athletes make a living at the professional level? They can "think they're going pro" all they want, but in the meantime, you are an amateur and those rules are there for a reason.

You obviously don't get it.
    Ya i get it...ncaa wants to have complete control over the amateur sports market...to the point where players are taken advantage of, imo....I mean really? a man cant sell his own sig? if a fan wants to pay for it who gaf...hell im surprised the ncaa hasnt set up something where they let players profit and just take a cut...

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

edit

ItsMeMrMattE
    puttin 2 cents in for 3 out
    ItsMeMrMattE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1079

the real story should be on the idiot busting out 5 figures for a douche mark. the southpark crack baby episode anyone.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Ya i get it...ncaa wants to have complete control over the amateur sports market...to the point where players are taken advantage of, imo....I mean really? a man cant sell his own sig? if a fan wants to pay for it who gaf...hell im surprised the ncaa hasnt set up something where they let players profit and just take a cut...
    You are an amateur athlete. You don't get to make the rules. You may not see it as "fair," but it's the very definition of being an amateur.

You do realize the slippery slope you travel down if you start making exceptions and exemptions, right?

ChalkyDog

1. Going pro is not guaranteed, injury, just not good enough etc.

2. You obviously have not checked out the Houston job market

3. again, life not a guarantee to be a cake walk

You are basically property of the ncaa...cant sell or make money off yourself, school/ncaa sell the broadcast rights of YOUR talent to fat cat networks that could care less about the individual (unless you are a play maker, then they will keep you in the spot light and wait to bury you for something like selling a sig)

ncaa has basically established themselves as the only route to become pro has more power than the school that are represented...just seems like the athlete is the one who does all the work and ncaa/schools/networks make all the dough...
    WTF does the houston job market have to do with anything? Place is the sweltering ass crack, armpit and underboob of the country. It better have a viable job market as a trade off for dealing with that place. Hell, the zoning in Houston alone makes it not very appealing to me. Slums a block from the McMansions. No thanks.

NrmlCurvSurfr

You are an amateur athlete. You don't get to make the rules. You may not see it as "fair," but it's the very definition of being an amateur.

You do realize the slippery slope you travel down if you start making exceptions and exemptions, right?
    you are just proving my point even more...Everyone is making money except the player...and if you want to go pro, you have to be owned by the ncaa, at least for some time...johnny football "makes" money for all these other organizations and cant sell his own sig, who in their right mind would think that is fair...let alone ethical...now if there was another route to go pro, I could understand organizations like the ncaa having different rules but the player does not have a choice but to make the ncaa money before they can make their own...all I can say is that if you are going to be a part of the ncaa, you BETTER go pro...or you are a tool (unless you get a useful degree)

NrmlCurvSurfr

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    WTF does the houston job market have to do with anything? Place is the sweltering ass crack, armpit and underboob of the country. It better have a viable job market as a trade off for dealing with that place. Hell, the zoning in Houston alone makes it not very appealing to me. Slums a block from the McMansions. No thanks.
    if you have an engineering degree and live in houston you can be making close to 6 figs a year or two out of school if you know what you are doing, so an engineering degree might be considered a worthwhile investment...

there are great places to live in or around houston, hell exxonmobile is moving their world headquarters about 15 min away from where I live...needless to say the housing market is blowing up...great for property owners, businesses(unless you are leasing) etc
    Last edited by NrmlCurvSurfr; 08-04-13 at 05:57 PM.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

you are just proving my point even more...Everyone is making money except the player...and if you want to go pro, you have to be owned by the ncaa, at least for some time...johnny football "makes" money for all these other organizations and cant sell his own sig, who in their right mind would think that is fair...let alone ethical...now if there was another route to go pro, I could understand organizations like the ncaa having different rules but the player does not have a choice but to make the ncaa money before they can make their own...all I can say is that if you are going to be a part of the ncaa, you BETTER go pro...or you are a tool (unless you get a useful degree)
    am·a·teur (m-tūr, -tr, -chr, -chr, -tyr)n.1. A person who engages in an art, science, study, or athletic activity as a pastime rather than as a profession.
    2. Sports An athlete who has never accepted money, or who accepts money under restrictions specified by a regulatory body, for participating in a competition.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

As long as he didn't sell a jersey on ebay from a shit bowl game for $1000 like AJ Green did and got suspended 4 games, he'll be fine

NrmlCurvSurfr

am·a·teur (m-tūr, -tr, -chr, -chr, -tyr)n.1. A person who engages in an art, science, study, or athletic activity as a pastime rather than as a profession.
    2. Sports An athlete who has never accepted money, or who accepts money under restrictions specified by a regulatory body, for participating in a competition.
    thanks for that I might have never known...if you dont think the ncaa is a racket and over bearing then this convo has hit a brick wall...selling jerseys, shirts equipment is one thing...a mans sig should be his to do what ever he want with, its not like he started a clothing line selling aTm jerseys or broadcast his own bootlegged telecast of the game... the only reason these ncaa athletes are "amateur" is because the ncaa declares them so...an 18-22 year old man putting in all that effort and making others a ton of money is more than an amateur imo...we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one...
    Last edited by NrmlCurvSurfr; 08-04-13 at 07:10 PM.

Cheme82
    Cheme82's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2447

Never liked the fuker. I got a radar for this kind of shit.

flocko76
    flocko76's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3292

kid's family is supposed to be loaded (oil money.) Why does he need money? If he wants to sell his autograph, wait a year. its very simple.

Herky
    Herky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4583

Name:  Screen shot 2013-08-04 at 8.02.08 PM.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  10.9 KB The NCAA would also say that this is not Phillip Nelson's jersey....he doesn't get royalties. How much money did they make off Tebow's #15 Florida Jersey??

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5536

espn loves anything johnny football or tim tebow, nothing will happen, ncaa by far the most corrupt organization in sports.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Kid can't handle the fishbowl and the pressure of playing in the big time....he's toast.

Bye Bye A&M

12 Last