Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Wright Thompson, Article of the year (Manzeil)

I'm sure this was posted or you've read but didn't see it.

What a story/read just about a young football family.

It's going to be in the new NCAAF Preview from ESPN MAG but hasn't been released yet.

Mike and Mike show was great for the last hour just talking about the kid, after reading this I'm pulling for the young man.

This guy is my new favorite Sports Journalist...

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9521439/heisman-winner-johnny-manziel-celebrity-derail-texas-aggies-season-espn-magazine

Johnny Football is a growling grown-ass beast of a human. Johnathan Manziel is a boy trying to become a man.

"He ate Skittles, drank beer and won the Heisman."

Last edited by Louisvillekid1; 07-31-13 at 01:57 PM.

Huckleberry Pig
    Huckleberry Pig's Avatar Become A Pro!

just got finished reading this - absolutely great story. you can't help but feel for the kid sometimes. Media has been brutal to him

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

so the kid comes from third generation oil money and his family is trash

His parents wanted to get jffmom and jffdad on their license plates -- Johnny F -- ing Football, as the name was originally coined on the A&M message boards -- so caught up in the mania that it took their 17-year-old daughter, Meri, to point out the bad example that might set for the kids who looked up to her brother. The family still laughs about how his grandmother was so excited to see Johnny on the front page of the Auburn paper that she stole copies lying in front of the doors at their hotel.
    kid could be a 30 for 30 before his career even really starts/ends

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry Pig View Post
    just got finished reading this - absolutely great story. you can't help but feel for the kid sometimes. Media has been brutal to him
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    so the kid comes from third generation oil money and his family is trash

kid could be a 30 for 30 before his career even really starts/ends

I have to admit, I was bashing the kid. I made a thread about those tweets, and I always take time to try and evaluate both sides/angles in every situation.

However we all jump to conclusions, but after getting all the details, I completely understand...

Like WT said on ESPN "in conclusion, he's a good dude"

Huckleberry Pig

just listened to colin cowherd from his show this morning and he actually makes some really good counterpoints to the article as to why we shouldn't feel bad for him. Talks a lot about how college athletes these days never have to take personal responsibility and how anything they do wrong is blamed on something other than the athlete. I actually found myself agreeing with him more than the feeling I got after reading the article

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

I enjoyed Colin's words as well..

Huckleberry Pig

Always do, listen to him every day

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    I have to admit, I was bashing the kid. I made a thread about those tweets, and I always take time to try and evaluate both sides/angles in every situation.

However we all jump to conclusions, but after getting all the details, I completely understand...

Like WT said on ESPN "in conclusion, he's a good dude"
    this is a one sided sympathetic piece and certainly doesnt justify all the bullshit hes pulled

i cant say id ever call him a "good dude" knowing what i know about him now

one thing i dont get....its one thing to drink at 20...everyone does....its one thing to drink in front of your folks at 20...a lotta people do....but to drink with your folks in front of a reporter after all the shit he's been through and theyre complaining about all the attention and publicity? thats just fukkin stupid judgement....and definitely more from his father than him

BigJay
    BigJay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 229

Love Wright Thompson. If you haven't seen the 30 for 30 he did on Ole' Miss' football team the year they integrated James Meredith it's a must watch.

Watched Manziel play in high school and know his head coach, who has since moved to a bigger school. He said Manziel was a turd and only about an eighth of the stuff he was actually doing got reported back then, the rest he got away with. Doesn't surprise me at all the things that are being reported about Johnny FB now. He's a time bomb who will explode eventually. Doubt he ever makes it big in the NFL. He'll get his shot, but won't be a factor. If his actions don't do it, his lack of skills to compete at that level will.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Too small nfl

He is a train wreck

Spoiled brat

Accident waiting to happen down the road and could be serious

He is an attention seeker also

He needs to slow down or he will be dead
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: InTheDrink

BigDeem5
    2013-2016 NBA: 461-378-24 +52.65u
    BigDeem5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2158

Overrated articke

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

media is bashing him too much, especially ESPN. He will be fine going forward everyone does stupid things in college, as long as he doesn't do anything over the top he will make it to the NFL even if its as a backup

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

he sounds like a lil bitch. he has everything in the world going for him , yet he feels like a victim and feels sorry for himself.

he sure is a hard guy to like.

I don't dislike him though, i just think he needs to stop being such a pussy and be thankful

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Lot of prikks come from the Tyler, TX area.

Must be something in the water.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

This kid will not be a very high draft pick in the NFL. He will not give too much of an effort if (when) 'Bama beats A&M. He will not want to injure himwelf and lose out of his alleged NFL career.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    This kid will not be a very high draft pick in the NFL. He will not give too much of an effort if (when) 'Bama beats A&M. He will not want to injure himwelf and lose out of his alleged NFL career.
    if he doesn't have a good season this year he can forget about the NFL. Scouts aren't exactly drooling over him now. He is undersized and does not play like an NFL QB . What makes him special in college is his running ability and ability to extend a play outside of the pocket.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Experts think 3-5 round pick
    Nothing special