Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1461

Belize players say they refused bribe to fix match against U.S.

EyeOn
    Sports

Belize players say they refused bribe to fix match against U.S.

By Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com
    July 12, 2013 12:10 pm ET

Two Belize soccer players say they rejected a large bribe to fix Tuesday's match against the U.S., which the Jaguars lost 6-1 anyway.

The Associated Press reports international soccer officials are investigating the allegations by Ian Gaynair and Woodrow West. When an official showed them a photo of a man suspected of match fixing in other countries, the Belize players confirmed it was the same man who approached them Sunday, according to the AP.

Belize coach Ian Mork told the AP that the targeted players, who do not play professionally, were approached at their Portland, Ore., hotel by a man who had also been at their hotel in Guatemala City in June when Belize played Guatemala.

"He was wanting to become friends and come visit Belize," Mork said, via the AP. "Then all of sudden he also showed up in Portland. It was through this kind of friendship of wanting to support the Belize team. It was obviously part of a plan to target our players."

Mork and the players declined to give specifics of the bribery offer, referring questions to CONCACAF, the soccer federation of North and Central American and Caribbean nations. It was unclear if the alleged fixer was seeking a certain goal differential.

Gaynair, a defenseman, scored the only goal for Belize on Tuesday.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/blo...ix-match-vs-us

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

Hmm, two of them refused and nine accepted

ProbablyNotSeth
    Just trying to earn some lunch money...
    ProbablyNotSeth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 94

It's good that they were honest, but what exactly was suppose to be fixed? It seems like everybody was on the over

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

He bribed us to keep it close. We flat out refused!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: DrStale

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

Sounds like he offered the same bribe to the rest of the players with a different result

6-1 and you're sayin you REFUSED the bribe??? For penetrates sakes WHY??? If I sucked that bad I'd take anything I could get to "throw" the game

Hey bettil I'll give ya 10000 to throw that match with Tiger Woods?

MEET YA AT THE BANK!
    Last edited by bettilimbroke999; 07-12-13 at 03:48 PM.

Akatana
    Akatana's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 165

Quote Originally Posted by bettilimbroke999 View Post
    He tried to bribe you to lose and you lost 6-1 anyway? I sure hope everyone else on the team accepted otherwise you guys fukin suck!

How do you score 6 goals in soccer? Once you got a 3-1 lead dont they just kick the ball around midfield? Did they pull the goalkeeper at halftime?
    No they don't just kick the ball around in midfield "once they have a 3-1 lead" LMAO
    Sometimes you do get that with different situations but when yo get such a big quality gaps between team's like USA and Belize they usually automatically go to score more and more otherwise they'll get bored. Btw idk if that was a serious question that you asked lol

onemoregoal
    twentysixblack
    onemoregoal's Avatar Become A Pro!

Four players according to this report

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2013/07/11/sp-fifa-soccer-concacaf-gold-cup-belize-match-fixing.html

Last tournament was fixed also, that was very obvious though in play. Guadaleoupe/Cuba/Guatemala the worst.
    Its really common to fix a game when the quality gap is so big, harder to prove if its just a crap side or if they are throwing the game.

The Gold cup is also run by Traffic Sports USA (I dunno if thats a well known company in America, im UK) - anyway they own Carolina Railhawks who fix games............

cogiditopapa
    The happy one!
    cogiditopapa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9965

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold cup is also run by [B
    Traffic Sports USA[/B] (I dunno if thats a well known company in America, im UK) - anyway they own Carolina Railhawks who fix games............
    Interesting!

DarkNite
    DarkNite's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

Maybe they want the score like 10-0, the exact and with the option that they can go over 9 goals. Like somewhere couple days ago with 79-0 goals in soccer I have never heard or seen in my life.
    I think they can fix Jaro on Saturday to lose to Lahti, but this is small odds. I think they are looking for >5.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Best of both worlds, lose the game in embarrassing fashion, and not collect on an easy bribe.

This is the opposite of saving face. The score would make sense if they said they accepted it.

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by Akatana View Post
    No they don't just kick the ball around in midfield "once they have a 3-1 lead" LMAO
    Sometimes you do get that with different situations but when yo get such a big quality gaps between team's like USA and Belize they usually automatically go to score more and more otherwise they'll get bored. Btw idk if that was a serious question that you asked lol
    I dont understand why you would "bribe" a team that was a huge underdog...I mean fukin 6-1!!! The Belize goalkeeper musta had a seeing eye dog

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    Best of both worlds, lose the game in embarrassing fashion, and not collect on an easy bribe.

This is the opposite of saving face. The score would make sense if they said they accepted it.
    If I lost 6-1 legitimately I would've lied and said I took the bribe...I mean really man do you think we could lose by that much legitimately

If they actually did turn down the bribe and suck this bad it was the only opportunity in their lives to make money playin soccer

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by Akatana View Post
    Competitive soccer is about scoring 1 fukin goal and then holding the ball and running out the clock...equal to paint drying

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

Quote Originally Posted by bettilimbroke999 View Post
    Competitive soccer is about scoring 1 fukin goal and then holding the ball and running out the clock...equal to paint drying
    "great" knowledge of competitive soccer