LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

I See Both Wimbledon Womens Quarters are in a Rain Delay

How do they not schedule two of the four matches for Centre Court today?

ThingsFallApart
    ThingsFallApart's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    How do they not schedule two of the four matches for Centre Court today?
    They did?...

Aussiefalconfan
    Makin' it Hail
    Aussiefalconfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 811

Na Li can drown in an oil fire.........

Its been a Sick few week with the little green ball 5-7k swings

Hardcoar
    Curious Nick and Tenacious Kokk
    Hardcoar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4615

They do.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by ThingsFallApart View Post

They did?...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcoar View Post
    They do.
    I see. So that being the case, why did they not have the roof closed from the get-go given the rain in the area? Unnecessary delays don't help anyone. (well...they actually usually help the player that is losing )

Seto
    Jose Mourinho: simply the best
    Seto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2560

I see. So that being the case, why did they not have the roof closed from the get-go given the rain in the area? Unnecessary delays don't help anyone. (well...they actually usually help the player that is losing )
    They have to first decide if the rain is hard enough that it will last a while. If it's a 20 minute thing, the ideal thing is not to use the roof, it isn't supposed to be an indoor tournament theoretically.

And then once they decide to use it I think it actually takes the roof 10-15 mins to be set up.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

It takes them over 30 minutes to open or close the roof. They foolishly had the roof open (as they often do, despite the forecast).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ten...ourt-roof.html

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

If you have ever designed a roof that can open and close you would have realized it takes time.

ThingsFallApart
    ThingsFallApart's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    If you have ever designed a roof that can open and close you would have realized it takes time.
    Are you an architect?

And yes, I dont understand why people think a roof would slide open and closed like a window, then again most people don't know much about anything.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Quote Originally Posted by Seto View Post
    They have to first decide if the rain is hard enough that it will last a while. If it's a 20 minute thing, the ideal thing is not to use the roof, it isn't supposed to be an indoor tournament theoretically.

And then once they decide to use it I think it actually takes the roof 10-15 mins to be set up.
    Yeah Aussie Open is the same way. Rod Laver takes 25mins to close, HiSense 10-15 and they won't close before play starts merely because rain's in the forecast. They hold off using the roof as much as possible and even if the match is suspended for rain, they still won't close it unless the rain is expected to continue the rest of the day/night. If they start with the roof closed though, they'll keep it closed even if the rain stops to keep the conditions the same for their match and fair for the others that follow.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Are you an architect?

And yes, I dont understand why people think a roof would slide open and closed like a window, then again most people don't know much about anything.
    Structural engineer.

Hardcoar

Now there's a fantastic question! The answer to which is:

Because they're absolutely, utterly, completely, one hundred per cent retarded.

They have a roof. They know they won't be able to play for a long time because of rain. They still choose not to close it before or during the match.

Don't be surprised if they close it after the match, the second everyone has left the venue!

LT Profits

Are you an architect?

That's exactly my point. While I could appreciate that it is not supposed to be an indoor tournament, my feeling is once they reach this quarterfinal stage and beyond, they should choose to err on the side of caution if rain is in the forecast and keep roof closed to be fair to all parties. I get that traditionalists will probably disagree, but then again, they probably disagreed with the addition of the roof a few years ago in the first place.

mynameismud
    mynameismud's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8427

roland garros centre court will be covered by a retractable roof by 2018.

jinxpro1313
    jinxpro1313's Avatar Become A Pro!

traditionalists should be considered mentally retarted.

jinxpro1313
    jinxpro1313's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by mynameismud View Post
    roland garros centre court will be covered by a retractable roof by 2018.
    lmao, only 5 years... pathetic.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Quote Originally Posted by jinxpro1313 View Post
    lmao, only 5 years... pathetic.
    5 years is better than nothing jinx!! I've had bets stranded there for 3 days. Horrible tourney to bet on when you need your cash to be liquid for other sports.

mynameismud
    mynameismud's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8427

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    5 years is better than nothing jinx!! I've had bets stranded there for 3 days. Horrible tourney to bet on when you need your cash to be liquid for other sports.
    they build skyscrapers in 5 years, but it is definitely better than nothing. i wonder if nadal will be in the 2018 main draw.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

If they keep the roof shut all the time to err on the side of caution it will create other problems like the grass dying from not getting any sun. Not everything revolves around to please bettors during these tourneys. Before they push the button to close the roofs there is a lot of parties involved that have a say.

Hardcoar

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    If they keep the roof shut all the time to err on the side of caution it will create other problems like the grass dying from not getting any sun. Not everything revolves around to please bettors during these tourneys. Before they push the button to close the roofs there is a lot of parties involved that have a say.
    All the time?

What anyone ever stated or even thought is they should have the FKing thing closed just BEFORE the match starts if they KNOW there is a huge chance of rain.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcoar View Post
    All the time?

What anyone ever stated or even thought is they should have the FKing thing closed just BEFORE the match starts if they KNOW there is a huge chance of rain.
    Like I said there are other factors that come into play. Maybe they kept the roofs open, hoping it will rain so that they can sell rain gear at their shops in the stadium. Or force spectators to eat more at the restaurants and drink more at the bars. There is a lot of number crunching going on behind the scenes.
    Last edited by pavyracer; 07-02-13 at 01:35 PM.

Hardcoar

Absolutely, but nobody was talking about keeping it shut "all the time" so your arguments in the post to which I replied are flawed.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

forget about bettors. This thing with the roof is unfair to players. If rain is in the forecast, close it before the matches (or if it's noon and a match just ended and they think rain is coming, close it between matches). What's not fair is to stop play in the middle to close the roof. That should never happen unless it was really a freak storm that no one saw coming. It changes everything to have a long delay in the middle.

Hardcoar

Basically exactly what I've been saying, but yes: I agree entirely.