fitguy67
    blessed be the cheesemakers
    fitguy67's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3358

Entertainment-Value Comparison: Playoff-NHL vs. Playoff-NBA

when u watch late-stage NHL playoff games...you realize just how badly NBA compares entertainment-wise...NHL is riveting/exciting...NBA is at best merely "tense" (and that's only if you have a bet on it...otherwise it's just over-officiated annoying crap)

remember...i'm talking PURE entertainment value here...would you REALLY watch it if you didn't have a bet on either the game or the series...REALLY?

NHL==Hell yes!

NBA==hmmm...maybe i'd rather put two colours of paint on a wall...and get my whistle to arbitrarily blow it as i watch it dry...and penalize one colour or the other according to a coin-toss

if they gave each NBA team 80 points and played the last half of the fourth quarter...would be an improvement...but the game'd still be in the hands of referees...annoying as hell
    Last edited by fitguy67; 06-12-13 at 07:40 PM.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

I hate hockey and I agree

But you're comparing nba to NHL

Nothing compares to march madness

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Honestly college basketball is more entertaining.

Just my opinion.

Hockey is more fun to watch as you never want to miss a goal. NBA is something you can just have on in the background and check the score once in a while. And if close, the last 4 minutes of the 4th quarter.

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

not a hockey fan...but a im a diehard pats, sox, celts fan...so i root for the bruins come playoff time and watch......i gotta admit...yer always on the edge of your seat in playoff hockey....a goal can materialize itself in a matter of seconds without you even seeing it coming(at least for a non hockey fan)

fitguy67

Drinker, Bigger...fixed it (changed hockey/basketball to NHL/NBA)

i agree the college brands of many sports is more entertaining than the pro-versions

right now the College World Series (Baseball) is going on...puts MLB to shame entertainment-wise

CWS-Baseball COULD and SHOULD be as big as MM-Basketball

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 35459

Nba, no flow, whistle every 3 seconds, flopping, one guy takes most of the shots, players complain every drive when there isn't a foul, 90% blacks with egos

hockey all day

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 35459

Quote Originally Posted by a4u2fear View Post
    Nba, no flow, whistle every 3 seconds, flopping, one guy takes most of the shots, players complain every drive when there isn't a foul, 90% blacks with egos

hockey all day
    and forgot to mention a timeout moves the ball down a court that isn't even 100 feet long. Too bad you can't so that in NFL for field goals

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32273

Quote Originally Posted by a4u2fear View Post
    Nba, no flow, whistle every 3 seconds, flopping, one guy takes most of the shots, players complain every drive when there isn't a foul, 90% blacks with egos and tattoos

hockey all day
    fyp

Seto
    Jose Mourinho: simply the best
    Seto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2560

NBA. I've tried NHL a few times and found it a great way to fall asleep. That's mainly because I think the sport is boring as hell though, nothing to do with the league in itself. I know I'm going to be a minority in this thread but whatever.

fitguy67

no problem, seto...tom-ay-toto/tom-ah-to

team sport: you NBA/me NHL
    individual sport: u Tennis/me MMA

as long as u have an intelligent approach to it...doesn't really matter

see u killin' it in Seaweed's challenge

________

RIGHT NOW we got a classic NHL OT-game brewin'...heart-stoppin' end-to-end hockey at it's best...give it a watch...middle of first OT period right now

i put on a prop "at least one game goes to double-OT" at +200 ...so pull for me to get thru the next few minutes scoreless
    Last edited by fitguy67; 06-12-13 at 10:26 PM.

fitguy67

i picked a great time for this thread...

one of the very best hockey games i've ever seen...

certainly one of the best sudden-death OT's i can remember

turtlejc
    turtlejc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

i cant take this shit much longer

ROYAJA8
    ROYAJA8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 257

I would rather watch NBA and NFL over NHL anyday. These NBA stars put on a great show for us.

fitguy67

THIS has gotta be one of the very best hockey games I have ever seen...riveting...

compare this to the "squeak squeak...whistle...commercial break...free throws...squeak squeak...whistle...questionable call...commercial break...squeak squeak"...rinse/lather/repeat...

of even the most crucial NBA playoff games
    Last edited by fitguy67; 06-12-13 at 11:44 PM.

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9954

No brainier. Nba is retarded these days. Old school I loved watching Jordan's bulls but can't watch nba anymore at all

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

It's not comparable. NHL Playoffs reign supreme. The talent pool in march Madness has decreased too much in recent years. The NBA is unwatchable television, zero flow, all ad $ and bandwagon fans.

fitguy67

Final word goes to...

Game 1 of the 2013 Stanley Cup Finals...amazing...simply amazing...

Now that's ENTERTAINMENT...

Bruins and Hawks...thank you for that...after a game like that..."who won" is secondary...damn...you never get a rush in another sport like that!
    Last edited by fitguy67; 06-13-13 at 12:16 AM.

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

Have not watched more than 2 NBA game's all year. Just a terrible product to watch. Last 3 minutes can be exciting. Everything before that is not entertaining.

NHL playoffs is amazing and intense.

fitguy67

From a purely-entertainment (things i'd gladly watch even without a bet on) perspective...
    two team sports and 1 individual sport stand out for me

Team Sports: Ice Hockey...and Rugby
    (two versions: best is "7-man Rugby" which has a few international tourneys each year...watch a few 7-man rugby games and you'll realize just how lame American Football is in comparison...kneeling down on punts and kickoffs etc.
    second-best is "Rugby League" eg. Australian NRL)...also way more athletic and continuous-action than the American game...without all the padding overkill and the number-of-players-dressed overkill...compared to American Football, Rugby is "all killer/no filler"

Individual Sport: MMA (UFC, Bellator, and WSOF all good)...once you develop an eye for the discipline & athleticism that underlies the violence...there's nothing like it (and certainly nothing that exhibits better sportsmanship...guys punching each other in the face one minute...embracing the next)

By contrast...most other sports i might put a bet on...i actually avoid watching...even during seemingly important events such as playoffs...i'd much rather do something else and scoreboard watch "as little as possible/as much as necessary" to guide any hedging that might become appropriate etc...
    Last edited by fitguy67; 06-13-13 at 03:27 AM.

Seto

Quote Originally Posted by fitguy67 View Post
    no problem, seto...tom-ay-toto/tom-ah-to

team sport: you NBA/me NHL
    individual sport: u Tennis/me MMA

as long as u have an intelligent approach to it...doesn't really matter

see u killin' it in Seaweed's challenge

________

RIGHT NOW we got a classic NHL OT-game brewin'...heart-stoppin' end-to-end hockey at it's best...give it a watch...middle of first OT period right now

i put on a prop "at least one game goes to double-OT" at +200 ...so pull for me to get thru the next few minutes scoreless
    been doing good in nba but struggling in tennis. overall though i'm well up so it's all good.

you could argue my main "team sport" is soccer though, i attend all my team's games, home and away (around 60 a year total). however watching other teams bores me while in nba i'll watch any game no problem.

Seto

i could start loving hockey in a few years though, wouldn't be surprised. i thought basketball was boring about 5 years ago lmao.

fitguy67

Quote Originally Posted by Seto View Post
    you could argue my main "team sport" is soccer though, i attend all my team's games, home and away (around 60 a year total). however watching other teams bores me while in nba i'll watch any game no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seto View Post
    i could start loving hockey in a few years though, wouldn't be surprised. i thought basketball was boring about 5 years ago lmao.
    Two sports i don't like to watch, but do like to bet are MLB (plenty of value over the haul in straight up ML, mostly dogs) and Soccer (with disciplined in-play trading of an initial NOT DRAW position with the DRAW position which sweetens considerably after a goal...important to choose games with a low chance of 0-0 scoreline...).

As far as tennis, seems to me most $-problems could be minimized by following one rule: lay off the women's-lottery version of the game...all the tennis forums here are full of guys swearing they'll never bet the bitches again...then getting lured back in before another big $-throwaway cuz da broads just can't hold serve with any reliability. If ATP is playing blackjack...WTA is a goddam slot machine.

As for hockey...if you didn't watch any of the OT last night...try to find video of it somewhere...it was a 40-minute-plus promotional highlight reel for the sport...just keep reminding yourself that you're watching "sudden death"...same as in soccer when it occurs...main difference being that the "great scoring chances" come MUCH more frequently in hockey than in soccer...with no goddam bureaucratic "shootout" option to pussify the open-play effort...u wanna win...u gotta create a goal (hence leaving yourself open to counter-attack...game opens up...voila exciting play, not the constipated overly-careful crap that plagues soccer ot's with both teams biding time till the shootout)...being a soccer guy...it should be as easy to get used to (even get addicted to) hockey as it was to getting used to pussy.
    Last edited by fitguy67; 06-13-13 at 04:26 PM.

Seto

Quote Originally Posted by fitguy67 View Post
    Two sports i don't like to watch, but do like to bet are MLB (plenty of value over the haul in straight up ML, mostly dogs) and Soccer (with disciplined in-play trading of an initial NOT DRAW position with the DRAW position which sweetens considerably after a goal...important to choose games with a low chance of 0-0 scoreline...).

As far as tennis, seems to me most $-problems could be minimized by following one rule: lay off the women's-lottery version of the game...all the tennis forums here are full of guys swearing they'll never bet the bitches again...then getting lured back in before another big $-throwaway cuz da broads just can't hold serve with any reliability. If ATP is playing blackjack...WTA is a goddam slot machine.

As for hockey...if you didn't watch any of the OT last night...try to find video of it somewhere...it was a 40-minute-plus promotional highlight reel for the sport...just keep reminding yourself that you're watching "sudden death"...same as in soccer when it occurs...main difference being that the "great scoring chance" come MUCH more frequently in hockey than in soccer...with no goddam bureaucratic "shootout" option to pussify the open-play effort...u wanna win...u gotta create a goal (hence leaving yourself open to counter-attack...game opens up...voila exciting play, not the constipated overly-careful crap that plagues soccer ot's with both teams biding time till the shootout)...being a soccer guy...it should be as easy to get used to (even get addicted to) hockey as it was to getting used to pussy.
    Soccer is more of a pride thing. English fans (at least real ones, which are harder to find these days) really identify with their local team a lot and follow them everywhere...

Why not, I'm all for getting into new sports. Even though I probably follow too many already... lol.

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8060

The Stanley Cup is the hardest championship in the world to win. There isn't even a close second.

fitguy67

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    The Stanley Cup is the hardest championship in the world to win. There isn't even a close second.
    bang on, Dwight...now a bit TOO hard, in fact...this posted in Nino's thread just hours ago about that

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post

Drain the gas tanks on the first night. Every one of these games might be 1 goal games..
    Original 6 teams...original 6 quality hockey...

BUT in the 6 team league there were only TWO--not FOUR--series to get thru to win the cup...

this is brutal war of attrition...i doubt if there's anyone dressed for either team without an injury that'd keep most basketball players on the sidelines...

hockey players and rugby players, man...tough as they come...like having an MMA fight scheduled every single month...these guys are paid well but they do give it their all and are tough as nails...

you just KNOW this is gonna be a great series (no matter ow many games it lasts)...every game will be a war like this one
    Last edited by fitguy67; 06-13-13 at 06:18 PM.