Betpoints: 528

Everett Golson leaves ND

Well they are going to suck again

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    Well they are going to suck again
    1 year of not sucking is the true story here.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Sounds like he got caught cheating on a final.

ColdBeerHere
    Tailing Wilson
    ColdBeerHere's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8151

he's currently vacationing in the Bahamas...so long Notre Dame.

http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1509328

ChiLLx
    ChiLLx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9184

How can he get caught cheating in the first place. These high level D1 athletes have private tutors that basically feed them the answers and they just need to memorize them.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

HUGE loss if Golson doesn't play this season and everything points to him not playing for the Irish. I have my doubts if Notre Dame was a top-15 team with Golson but without him I'm not sure they're top-25.

Gunner Kiel, the highly touted recruit who just transferred from Notre Dame must be kicking himself now. No choice now...the Irish will run the ball and play defense. Don't have a clue who plays quarterback.

The Irish are back down to earth after last season's remarkable run (excluding title game).

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

Just my opinion, I think there is a lot behind the scenes that is going on here that we will never know about, because of ND's reputation, and the ND brass doesn't want a stain on it's reputation.

Like Duke, don't believe for a second Duke and ND are squeaky clean, they are not.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: eidolon

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

I think this has something to do with black bike week going on right now in his home town

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11105

Pretty soon you guys will find out the truth on why Golson really left ND...

He ran off with Lennay Kekua.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Just my opinion, I think there is a lot behind the scenes that is going on here that we will never know about, because of ND's reputation, and the ND brass doesn't want a stain on it's reputation.

Like Duke, don't believe for a second Duke and ND are squeaky clean, they are not.

Wilfred
    Wilfred's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Pretty soon you guys will find out the truth on why Golson really left ND...

He ran off with Lennay Kekua.

Rumor is that he was caught cheating off of her test.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Notre dame is not that stupid to let golston walk. Cheating on a test? Give me a break, if that's the case then half the student population will also be leaving in the near future. Happens all the time in any situation there is something on the line or something to be gained.

dodger33
    Kershnasty
    dodger33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Mark it down. Hendrix will be just fine this year. ND will finish in the top 15 with Hendrix at qb

ROYAJA8
    ROYAJA8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 257

Dammm that professor will be getting death threats non-stop by fans,students, and other players. Can't believe that professor would call him out on the cheating and cant believe Brian Kelly and the school dean couldn't keep it on the hush and let him slide.
    Wow and then losing the great Gunner was a huge loss buy Kelly has a great teAm and they will find someone to replace golson and They will have a big year.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

6 and 6 ths season and a trip to the Meninke Bowl

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

I was surprised he even made it to 1 year. The academics at Notre Dame are too hard for athletes who don't like to study.

KKoz9
    KKoz9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Addition by subtraction

he is nothing more than a running back they tried to make into QB

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

With Mr. Golson's abrupt exit...I'm thinking the most likely replacement at QB will be old stand-by Tommy Rees. Rees was the 2011 starter who played key roles in four wins last season when Golson either struggled or was injured. I'm guessing because of his game experience, Tommy Rees will open the season for the Irish.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Quote Originally Posted by ChiLLx View Post
    How can he get caught cheating in the first place. These high level D1 athletes have private tutors that basically feed them the answers and they just need to memorize them.
    This is true for most schools BUT Notre Dame is an unbelievably elite academic institution that won't for a second compromise its academic integrity. It's one thing that I have always admired of Notre Dame is that they maintain a very high academic standard for ALL their students. The football players are held to the same academic standards as all other students and if you can't make it academically at Notre Dame you won't even be recruited. Unlike other so-called elite institutions like University of Michigan, North Carolina University, Syracuse University, University of Wisconsin, etc... that routinely allow low quality students into their university for the sake of building their sports programs.

Without even knowing the situation very well, I am certain Golson wasn't treated any differently than anyone else there even if he was QB.

Wilfred

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBear View Post
    This is true for most schools BUT Notre Dame is an unbelievably elite academic institution that won't for a second compromise its academic integrity. It's one thing that I have always admired of Notre Dame is that they maintain a very high academic standard for ALL their students. The football players are held to the same academic standards as all other students and if you can't make it academically at Notre Dame you won't even be recruited. Unlike other so-called elite institutions like University of Michigan, North Carolina University, Syracuse University, University of Wisconsin, etc... that routinely allow low quality students into their university for the sake of building their sports programs.

Without even knowing the situation very well, I am certain Golson wasn't treated any differently than anyone else there even if he was QB.
    Look around message boards for the name Davonte Neal in recruiting a couple years ago. They certainly made an exception for him.

BuddyBear
    Update your status

Look around message boards for the name Davonte Neal in recruiting a couple years ago. They certainly made an exception for him.
    I did not find anything and am not going to waste time looking. Look there is a certain group of elite D1 academic schools that have made a conscious decision not to compromise their academic integrity because of sports even an era when there is a lot of pressure to do so. Schools like Notre Dame, Stanford, Duke, Rice, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, and a few others. I respect these schools for their decision not to do so. if you look at other schools who have similar academic credentials (e.g. Michigan, UCLA, Texas, Wisconsin, Virginia, etc...) they have said that academics do NOT take precedence over sports and big time college athletics. Whether you like Notre Dame or not, you have to admire how they run their athletic programs.

Wilfred

Maybe they don't do it to the extent as other schools but they do it. You don't get into Notre Dame normally with less than around a 3.7 and I'm sure plenty of people with that and above have been rejected. But if someone who's good at football has a 3.2 or around they will easily get in.

BuddyBear
    Update your status

Maybe they don't do it to the extent as other schools but they do it. You don't get into Notre Dame normally with less than around a 3.7 and I'm sure plenty of people with that and above have been rejected. But if someone who's good at football has a 3.2 or around they will easily get in.
    No. Don't speculate unless you have proof that their athletic programs cut corners. There have been several attempts in the past by boosters to "lessen" the standards for admittance into ND but each time the university refuses. I know people who had 4.0s in high school who did not get into Notre Dame. Believe me, ND has has real high standards.

Wilfred

No. Don't speculate unless you have proof that their athletic programs cut corners. There have been several attempts in the past by boosters to "lessen" the standards for admittance into ND but each time the university refuses. I know people who had 4.0s in high school who did not get into Notre Dame. Believe me, ND has has real high standards.
    Were those people top 250 in HS football? Luckily some players submit their HS transcripts to Rivals. Here are just a small percentage of guys that got into ND:

4 Star 2012 Davonte Neal- 3.2 GPA
    4 Star 2012 William Mahone- 2.5 GPA
    5 Star 2013 Jaylon Smith- 2.9 GPA

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Smart move by Gunner Kiel transferring out to Cincinnati.

What a knucklehead he is.

Losing Golson hurts ND. This will cost them a minimum of 3 games.

I think ND should stop handing out the #5 jersey too.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

All that shyt buddybear was talking and guys getting in with 2.5..lmaooooooooooo
    Last edited by Darkside Magick; 05-28-13 at 12:03 PM.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Who gives a shit? Guy is an overhyped product, in a historically overhyped program.

The last time ND was relevant, was due to them being in a Hollywood movie.

ChalkyDog

Were those people top 250 in HS football? Luckily some players submit their HS transcripts to Rivals. Here are just a small percentage of guys that got into ND:

4 Star 2012 Davonte Neal- 3.2 GPA
    4 Star 2012 William Mahone- 2.5 GPA
    5 Star 2013 Jaylon Smith- 2.9 GPA
    Davonte Neal is a thug and a moron. That said, thank the lord he transferred to Arizona.

Wilfred

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    Davonte Neal is a thug and a moron. That said, thank the lord he transferred to Arizona.
    He did something to make Urban Meyer not want him. And that's tough to do.

ChalkyDog

He did something to make Urban Meyer not want him. And that's tough to do.
    I am pretty familiar with this kid, as he went to school right near my parents house, and as a result his HS career and also his recruitment was very public knowledge.

His handlers are god awful, he is a giant douche. Thankfully he is very talented, or I am convinced he would have shot up a liquor store by now. (One of Arizona's best returners actually is spending time in jail currently for armed robbery).

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

I did not find anything and am not going to waste time looking. Look there is a certain group of elite D1 academic schools that have made a conscious decision not to compromise their academic integrity because of sports even an era when there is a lot of pressure to do so. Schools like Notre Dame, Stanford, Duke, Rice, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, and a few others. I respect these schools for their decision not to do so. if you look at other schools who have similar academic credentials (e.g. Michigan, UCLA, Texas, Wisconsin, Virginia, etc...) they have said that academics do NOT take precedence over sports and big time college athletics. Whether you like Notre Dame or not, you have to admire how they run their athletic programs.
    As long as you are not the one filming practices in a scissor lift during a windstorm

I/O

I don't know if this is common practice but I believe ND is paying their former coach more than the current. Of course they have the number coming in to cover it but it's not a very admirable way to run a program.

Sweetness
    Sweetness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Some of these comments are hilarious. Tommy Rees was the better qb last year and should of played a hell of a lot more than he did. The only downfall to this is Kelly's O will lose a year of progression under a qb whose better sooted running his system. But in the short term the Irish will be just fine this year with Rees running the show.

I/O

Feel free to give me any info....

Isn't Tommy at that school or even on the field thanks to Pops???

Popcorn Trick
    Popcorn Trick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 540

Notre Dame is not Stanford, but for some reason they think they close the gap by being academically tougher with regards to their athletes.

Popcorn Trick
    Popcorn Trick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 540

Wish this was as true with respect to their moral integrity.

12 Last