Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

This all started with Crayola crayons back in 1962. Which is odd, because I was still using "Flesh" colored crayons in the late 70's early 80's. I guess they were just old.

BranchDavidian
    BranchDavidian's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by SportsPedagogy View Post
    We enslaved people and burned people at the stake for being a witch. Let's not talk about respecting each one another. Also, if you look at the way Columbus treated the Native Americans when he came to America.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile..._b_742708.html
    you would be quite amazed.
    You seem to be of the impression that this is something new in world history. If you pick any point on the globe, you will find that the land has been fought over since mankind first showed up. People everywhere are, and have been, extremely cruel to each other. But, since we here in America have made the hardships of life pretty much disappear, we have time for all this retrospection in which we seem to just love to focus on the bad parts of history. However, our history here is no different than any other culture -- it is just that other cultures are not so into whipping themselves as we are.

SportsPedagogy
    SportsPedagogy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 266

Quote Originally Posted by BranchDavidian View Post
    You seem to be of the impression that this is something new in world history. If you pick any point on the globe, you will find that the land has been fought over since mankind first showed up. People everywhere are, and have been, extremely cruel to each other. But, since we here in America have made the hardships of life pretty much disappear, we have time for all this retrospection in which we seem to just love to focus on the bad parts of history. However, our history here is no different than any other culture -- it is just that other cultures are not so into whipping themselves as we are.
    You are taking my statement out of context. He was basically saying that Native Americans had treated each other horrible in history, so why should we give them any respect. That prompted my to bring up the fact that we have treated each other horrible in our short history as well.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

Peter King is now saying he will never refer to Washington as the Redskins again on his website.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/...me-in-writing/

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

"Redskin" is a racial descriptor for Native Americans, the origins of which are disputed. Although by some accounts not originally having negative intent,the term is now defined by dictionaries of American English as "usually offensive","disparaging","insulting","taboo" and is avoided in public usage with the exception of its continued use as a name for sports teams.

50 years from now we will look back (some of us) and wonder why it took so long to change this name.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    this gets brought up every so often, just change it to the REDNECKS and make everyone happy.

no one will even notice the difference...
    I love this idea! I'm a redneck and I approve, BTW!

Tully Mars 63
    Tully Mars 63's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 44

I can't get the link in the OP to work so I can't see where a politician is trying to change anything. As far as changing the name of the team I think it's BS and people should just let it go but I'm not native American . Maybe I'd feel different if I were, don't know because I'm not. Do know the history between the US government and the indigenous tribes that occupied what is now the US was nothing short of genocide. You guys can argue that history all you want but it's a simply fact. Oh and BTW the Holocaust happened too.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

So people just now figure out what the name means and decide to take a mighty stand huh? The pussification of America never seems to run out of resources lol! I swear the ignorance in this country and the menial issues we address is just the media's way of distracting us from real problems.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

Same with the Trayvon Martin bullshit. Black kids been killing each other each day by the dozens in this country for decades. So what makes Trayvon special? Because it's a story worthy of creating controversy and the media spoon feeds it to the morons who subscribe.

Tully Mars 63

You have to figure there's at least some of that going on. I mean we are talking abut a nation whose current leg. body has spent more time renaming post offices and other such horseshit rather then actual work on actual problems. You know problems like renaming French Fries 'Freedom Fries.' For this tax payers fork over around 120K a year and lifetime benefits. Fuk, as nation, we're idiots.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

It's exactly what's going on they know we are a reality tv, fast food, video game culture now full of lazy dummies for the most part. Why get out and use time and resources to make real change and address the root of real problems when we can just change a football teams name to satisfy the ignorant for 10 seconds. Truly sad all we can do is shake our head and watch the ship go down it seems at times.

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito
    frogsrangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5421

The only people offended are white ivory tower liberals.

Tully Mars 63

Quote Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
    It's exactly what's going on they know we are a reality tv, fast food, video game culture now full of lazy dummies for the most part. Why get out and use time and resources to make real change and address the root of real problems when we can just change a football teams name to satisfy the ignorant for 10 seconds. Truly sad all we can do is shake our head and watch the ship go down it seems at times.
    The corp. media and powers that be more or less have successfully devided the nation into team A and team B without anyone noticing. Mean while the middle class and back bone of the nation is working more hours for less pay/buying power every year. It's as if it's all done by plan or something. How odd.
    Points Awarded:

R.P. McMurphy gave Tully Mars 63 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

imadegen
    imadegen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9093

The indians logo is the worst. that's like a team being called the "africans" and having some black faced guy holding a banana as their logo.

Tully Mars 63

Quote Originally Posted by imadegen View Post
    The indians logo is the worst. that's like a team being called the "africans" and having some black faced guy holding a banana as their logo.
    Not even close. More like an African chieftain holding a shield and spear maybe.

SteveRyan
    SteveRyan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2995

Honestly, it never even occurred to me that the term "Redskin" was a negative racial word.

If you want an update on this subject, here is a link to the bill (H.R. 1278: Non-Disparagement of Native American Persons or Peoples in Trademark Registration Act of 2013)

It went to committee in March and has not progressed.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...r1278#overview

slacker00

C'mon guys, let's get some momentum for the "Washington Rednecks" idea! It gets even better, the Washington Redskins were the last team to cross the color barrier back in 1961, this would be a fitting tribute to this piece of history. Here's an article about it:http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/a...licy-protests/

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7635

Just change it to skins. That's what everyone calls them anyways.

slacker00

I think it's racist that Rednecks don't get to have a team name. Why do all the native tribes get one and we don't?

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

Well for starters Slacker pay attention to what's going on here. Liberal America would NEVER have a team called the Rednecks in the nations capital. It gives off too much of a racist, white trash, Busch lt swilling connotation. Lol.... Sorry I'm an equal opportunity hater that tells it like it is! How about we just keep Redskins and let all the liberal pussies like Peter King who have ignored it for decades move onto the next quest for publicity.

Tully Mars 63

WTF and WhyTF are politicians involving themselves in this horseshit? Sadly I think I know the answer.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Yep, sounds like a bunch of racists mocking Native Americans. Did any of these complainers ever think that maybe the reason the team has these nicknames is because they are celebrating the heritage, instead of mocking it? That's why we've never seen team names like the Klansmen, Murderers, Rapists, etc. It doesn't sound like this stadium of fans is mocking Indians to me.

slacker00

Well the "Patriots" could be interpreted as the cracker-ass misogynist slave masters that founded this nation.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Mike Ditka chimed in during an interview with RedskinsHistorian.com

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/08/mike-ditka-r...orrect-idiots/

What’s all the stink over the Redskin name?” Ditka said, via the Washington Post. “It’s so much (expletive) it’s incredible. We’re going to let the liberals of the world run this world. It was said out of reverence, out of pride to the American Indian. Even though it was called a Redskin, what are you going to call them, a Brownskin? “This is so stupid it’s appalling, and I hope that owner keeps fighting for it and never changes it, because the Redskins are part of an American football history, and it should never be anything but the Washington Redskins. That’s the way it is.”

“It’s all the political correct idiots in America, that’s all it is,” Ditka said. “It’s got nothing to do with anything else. We’re going to change something because we can. … It’s fine to protest. … You have a right to do that, but to change the name, that’s ridiculous. Change the Constitution — we’ve got people trying to do that, too, and they’re doing a pretty good job.” Ditka also applauded Redskins owner Dan Snyder, who has been steadfast in his refusal to change the team’s nickname. “I admire him for it,” Ditka said. “Really, I think it’s tradition, it’s history, it’s part of the National Football League.”

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    I love this idea! I'm a redneck and I approve, BTW!
    I still love this logo.

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Mike Ditka chimed in during an interview with RedskinsHistorian.com

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/08/mike-ditka-r...orrect-idiots/

What’s all the stink over the Redskin name?” Ditka said, via the Washington Post. “It’s so much (expletive) it’s incredible. We’re going to let the liberals of the world run this world. It was said out of reverence, out of pride to the American Indian. Even though it was called a Redskin, what are you going to call them, a Brownskin? “This is so stupid it’s appalling, and I hope that owner keeps fighting for it and never changes it, because the Redskins are part of an American football history, and it should never be anything but the Washington Redskins. That’s the way it is.”

“It’s all the political correct idiots in America, that’s all it is,” Ditka said. “It’s got nothing to do with anything else. We’re going to change something because we can. … It’s fine to protest. … You have a right to do that, but to change the name, that’s ridiculous. Change the Constitution — we’ve got people trying to do that, too, and they’re doing a pretty good job.” Ditka also applauded Redskins owner Dan Snyder, who has been steadfast in his refusal to change the team’s nickname. “I admire him for it,” Ditka said. “Really, I think it’s tradition, it’s history, it’s part of the National Football League.”
    It's always hilarious to me when conservatives act like changing the constitution is an act of terrorism on the US. Yeah lets never change the constitution, bring back slavery and eliminate voting rights. We've changed plenty of "traditions" after we realized they were fukked up.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Quote Originally Posted by DrStale View Post
    It's always hilarious to me when conservatives act like changing the constitution is an act of terrorism on the US.
    Conservatives used to love changing the constitution.

And Ditka is great coach. I won't deny that.

He is not a terrifcally intelligent or educated social comentator though.

slacker00

It's always hilarious to me when conservatives act like changing the constitution is an act of terrorism on the US. Yeah lets never change the constitution, bring back slavery and eliminate voting rights. We've changed plenty of "traditions" after we realized they were fukked up.
    You're reading way to deep into this. Ditka is just some celebrity with an opinion, not the voice of all conservatives.

DrStale

You're reading way to deep into this. Ditka is just some celebrity with an opinion, not the voice of all conservatives.
    Not saying it's all conservatives, but when you hear someone say that "we need to defend the constitution" they are almost invariably going to be conservative.

slacker00

Not saying it's all conservatives, but when you hear someone say that "we need to defend the constitution" they are almost invariably going to be conservative.
    I think you misunderstand what Ditka is saying. Ditka said, "Change the constitution.".

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Dr.Stale is a raging libtard.

Ditka is 1000% correct. It's a tiny minority that is doing all the crying about this. 99% of America couldn't give a fukk that this team is called the Redskins.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11893

Liberal media jew fukks telling everyone including the native americans what should and shouldn't offend them.

hilarious.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyburrito View Post
    Liberal media jew fukks telling everyone including the native americans what should and shouldn't offend them.

hilarious.
    Stealthy gets it

And he's a mostly libtard Mexican. If he gets it...everyone should.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11893

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    Stealthy gets it

And he's a mostly libtard Mexican. If he gets it...everyone should.
    The spewing of this pc shit is so hypocritical.

Phil Simms comes out and says he will not use the nickname on their broadcasts, but has no issue collecting his fat checks he gets from CBS's partnership with the NFL and its product.

Bob Costas rants about how offensive the name is, yet when he broadcasts an mlb network when the braves play a game, he doesn't say shit about several thousand people tomahawk chopping in unison.

Hating the nickname is just the popular thing to do right now - and it's very superficial.

DrStale

I think you misunderstand what Ditka is saying. Ditka said, "Change the constitution.".
    It sounds to me like he was saying that in jest. i.e. comparing changing the Redskins name to changing the constitution.

First 1234 Last