Albert Pujols
    Albert Pujols's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 80

I think I could be an in game coach for an NBA team.

I'm sure I couldn't handle all the other responsibilities, but this league is a joke. They have cameras on these guys 24/7, and I've never heard anyone, anywhere say anything remotely intelligent.

"We need to rebound."
    "We need to play harder on defense."
    "We need to take better shots."
    "Let's play great these next 7 minutes."
    "They're wearing down, let's bury them."
    "We need to just do the little things."
    "We need to be mentally tough."
    "We're not playing as a team offensively."
    "We're not playing as a team defensively."
    "Let's stop the mental breakdowns."
    "We said it was gonna be a war, so let's just bear down."

It's a complete joke. Charles Barkley could be the best coach in the NBA.

bjb7223
    bjb7223's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8973

Well Mark Jackson is a NBA coach so you might have a chance.

Last week Mark says "They're playing our song, I love it keep it up"
    during a timeout. They almost blew a 18 point lead in game 6.

Now back to Monday night, they're up 16 in the 4th he says in a timeout
    "We're shocking a lot of people right now around the world."

They blew the game

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

We need to rebound

JM92
    JM92's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mark Jackson has proved in one playoff series to be better than most nba coaches with 20 years experience.

Well, let me rephrase it: Mark Jackson has done more good things in one playoff series than some coaches have done in 20 years in the league. And he did it keeping it simples. (obviously the fact that he is clearly a great motivator helps).

Some of this guys are just ridiculous in-game. And then my biggest issue is the amount of staff they have... seriously, are those guys all that worthy? I have coached under 16 basketball in my home town and while I was pretty good on the bench I know I am not that good a motivator or not that good a practice coach. That's why I asked one friend that's pretty good at those things to coach them with me. This assistants in the nba just seem rather useless most of the time. The gap between the really good coaches like Pop and Thibs between jerks like Del Negro is so, so huge its just a joke really sometimes, how those guys can be coaches in the nba.

bjb7223
    bjb7223's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8973

Quote Originally Posted by JM92 View Post
    Mark Jackson has proved in one playoff series to be better than most nba coaches with 20 years experience.

Well, let me rephrase it: Mark Jackson has done more good things in one playoff series than some coaches have done in 20 years in the league. And he did it keeping it simples. (obviously the fact that he is clearly a great motivator helps).

Some of this guys are just ridiculous in-game. And then my biggest issue is the amount of staff they have... seriously, are those guys all that worthy? I have coached under 16 basketball in my home town and while I was pretty good on the bench I know I am not that good a motivator or not that good a practice coach. That's why I asked one friend that's pretty good at those things to coach them with me. This assistants in the nba just seem rather useless most of the time. The gap between the really good coaches like Pop and Thibs between jerks like Del Negro is so, so huge its just a joke really sometimes, how those guys can be coaches in the nba.
    not entirely useless. You have one assistant to scout the opposing team, one to create the offensive gameplan, one to create the defensive game plan. The problem with this there are only about 5 good coaching staffs in the NBA. The Heat is definitely one, the assistants are all Pat Riley guys that used to coach with him. People like Ronnie Rothstein and Bob Mcadoo are full of bball knowledge. Even an idiot like Eric Spoelstra looks good next to those guys.

Renegades
    Renegades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22206

I said the same thing in another thread. In one game i saw harden looking in the stands during the timeout. You think lebron james listens to pencil neck spoelstra?! Ha. Not a chance. It all comes down to essentially what you or I would see at your local YMCA

JM92
    JM92's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hmm you seem to know the that well. I always knew there was one coach for gameplan (either def or off) but I never knew there was a guy or two really assigned to create the offense and defense. How many are they in each team's staff really? It always seems like at least 4 guys are assistants. Does none of them specialize in practices? Always thought that would be a scenario.
    And yeah Miami's assistants must be great because coach Spo used to look like an idiot and now he actually seems like a good coach from time to time.

Renegades
    Renegades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22206

Is kevin durant dribbling for 20 secs and then jacking a 3 a play? Nope. Thats street ball and it doesnt take a lick of strategy for that. And 50-60% of the posessions are like that particularly with a team with one star

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Quote Originally Posted by Renegades View Post
    Is kevin durant dribbling for 20 secs and then jacking a 3 a play? Nope. Thats street ball and it doesnt take a lick of strategy for that. And 50-60% of the posessions are like that particularly with a team with one star
    Yes that is a play especially if your trying to run clock

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9120

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Pujols View Post
    I'm sure I couldn't handle all the other responsibilities, but this league is a joke. They have cameras on these guys 24/7, and I've never heard anyone, anywhere say anything remotely intelligent.

"We need to rebound."

A few other popular coaching strategy's (timeout sayings) in the NBA

"We need to play our game"
    "Take care of the ball"
    "They are getting too many easy shots"

Tomasaurus
    Tomasaurus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7965

Just fyi, there is an NBA policy not to broadcast strategy discussed during timeouts. The stuff we see is not completely what goes on, the real unedited timeout discussion has a lot of strategy and a lot of swearing both things which are by rule not available for broadcast

Sledge187
    Sledge187's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6001

Mark Jackson is a great coach. He will be employed a long time in this league.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Mark Jackson = Doug Collins "Ain't going nowhere fast"

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Ballerholic
    Ballerholic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1806

they might say one of those lines, but then they go on about what strategy to use which doesn't get aired

PerfectGrape
    PerfectGrape's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1887

Read 7 seconds or less, great insight into what goes into coaching in a playoff series. Lots of preplanning with asst coaches

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge187 View Post
    Ya, but only cause Steph Curry is gonna dangle his power card over Golden State.

EASports
    EASports's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Anyone else notice that Mark Malone, GSW's assistant coach, diagrams all of their plays coming out of timeouts?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge187 View Post

uvarunthetable
    uvarunthetable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3474

I can't remember where I heard this story, but back when Vince Carter was playing for the Nets some guy that does sports radio and has been around basketball his whole life got seats right near the bench. At one point in the game the Nets coach at the time (don't remember who) called a timeout to draw up a specific play for when the opposing team went into one of their particular defenses. Essentially the play was a guaranteed two points because one guy would be open for the layup, and the coach specifically called the time out just to draw up the play. Right after the timeout, the other goes into the defense, and instead of running the play Vince Carter jacks up a three from thirty feet out that misses.

hotelis
    hotelis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 957

Quote Originally Posted by uvarunthetable View Post
    I can't remember where I heard this story, but back when Vince Carter was playing for the Nets some guy that does sports radio and has been around basketball his whole life got seats right near the bench. At one point in the game the Nets coach at the time (don't remember who) called a timeout to draw up a specific play for when the opposing team went into one of their particular defenses. Essentially the play was a guaranteed two points because one guy would be open for the layup, and the coach specifically called the time out just to draw up the play. Right after the timeout, the other goes into the defense, and instead of running the play Vince Carter jacks up a three from thirty feet out that misses.
    did not want to know that..

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

Nah, I wouldn't be able to do it.
    Would be like this:
    "Oh come on Dwight you fckface, stop making this stupid face!"
    "You guys are playing like fairies tonight! I hate all of you!"
    "LeBron goddamnit, get your shit together!! What? What was that? You're doing your best? Ask your mum how I look when I'm doing my best!!!"
    "Paul, they really did call you "The Truth"? No joke? Well, right now you're more like "The washed up idiot that keeps taking totally braindead shots"!"
    "Ah fck you, I'm going back to the hotel. See you later"

Definitely no job for me....

Sport_Fish
    Sport_Fish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2039

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Pujols View Post

"We need to rebound."

You're an idiot. They're not allowed to show the coaches talking strategy.

Yeah you'd be an amazing coach...clueless turd

hotelis
    hotelis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 957

Quote Originally Posted by Sport_Fish View Post
    You're an idiot. They're not allowed to show the coaches talking strategy.

Yeah you'd be an amazing coach...clueless turd