Crate Mayne
    Crate Mayne's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
    [/B]

Although i agree with everything you say, and i dont sportsbet anymore myself, please enlighten me as to how you make a 100% annual return solely off dividends and stocks. You are obviously trading futures and options correct?

Speaking strictly about a stock, and moreso just being a buyer at the right time and price... After the 2008 bank crash, and a solid 3-4 years of quarterly losses due to it, I swooped up several banks that finally posted their first positive earnings in 2011 to stop the bleeding. And one of those regional bank stocks made it all the way down to right around a $1 after the negative earnings, TARP money received, and dilution required to keep it going. And this is a former $30 stock I'm talking about, so though the dividend is at .01 right now due to TARP, once TARP is paid off 3rd quarter this year, the stock will begin to increase their dividends. So shares I bought around $1.09 in 2011 will soon enough (1-2 years) benefit from a quarterly dividend increase back up to .20 cents or so, and that's where the almost 100% yearly gains from dividends alone comes. The stock is already up around 200% since I bought, about to double again when TARP is paid off 3rd quarter, and continually increase in value from profits, and buybacks... But the dividends from it were my main attraction to it.

Bought several other stocks during the crash that have benefited just as nicely (100%-300% since 2010-11), but that $1.09 stock was the most appealing due to the future dividend increases and low cost basis.

And fully know I can not expect to find 100% yearly gainers on a consistent basis, but if you do enough basic research you can find ones that gain more than 10%, etc and ride them either short term or long.

Crate Mayne

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Yes but $100k at 10% does not even give you $1k a month.

Most people don't have $100k lying around, if they do they are unlikely to put in a high risk "stock"
    Good luck finding 10% + consistent returns long-term these days.

Used to get 15% from energy funds but those days are long gone.

I don't have 100k just lying around either, but I stated the $1,000s in monthly dividend checks as a means to say if you aren't in the market (whether bonds, mutual funds, stocks, options, etc etc) then your retirement is gonna be pretty darn shitty with no outside income besides a soc check. I'm about to be 27, and I'm already at a $1,000+ quarterly check for one stock, and it was only around $8,000 original money invested. And close on several other stocks, but I don't even buy stocks simply for the divy. Some I go strictly for stock price growth. But to recap, no you don't need 100 grand to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    LOL

Sounds like the gambling people on here.

I BET you can't. (it would be the easiest money ever)
    I'll bet you EVERY year you won't make 100% on your stock "bet".
    If not speaking solely on dividends, and including stock price action then I guess the 11 stocks in my portfolio that are up between 200-300% past couple years, and good for roughly 100% a year are flukes. It's research man...hell Netflix jumped from like $52 to $220 this past year, and jumped over $50 in a matter of days... They're out there to buy, just gotta find them. And sure I didn't make Netflix/Apple year + long term stocks, but it sure helps fund buying other investments.

Crate Mayne

Quote Originally Posted by itchypickle View Post
    You are correct that it's only a loss once you sell....however the opposite side of that coin remains as well - your "I earn $100 every cent the stock goes up" is an unrealized gain until you sell.

And if you're putting all of your cost basis solely in 'stocks' as a retirement plan then you are in the minority.
    Quote Originally Posted by floridagolfer View Post
    Plenty of bond ETFs out there that'll keep sending that dividend check every month. This is the easiest money you'll ever make.
    No doubt, I'm in bonds, mutual funds, etfs, stocks, options, etc too. But for the speaking on unrealized gain, that's where the research comes in. Outside factors like current events always affect daily price action, but if you researched then you are pretty much safe when your target sell dates come.

First 12