PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

Jack vs. Tiger

This thread is a continuation of the arguments put forth in the "is tiger woods overrated thread".

For all the fukking nitwits and retards who think that today's players are better than in Jack's day.

Here is the summation of the best players Tiger faced vs. the best jack faced. Let's see who had the tougher competition.

Tiger's Main Competitors

Major Titles PGA Tour Wins International Wins

Phil Mickelson 3 30 0

Vijay Singh 3 31 21

Ernie Els 3 15 41

David Duval 1 13 1

TOTALS 10 89 63

Jack's Main Competitors

Arnold Palmer 8 62 11

Gary Player 9 24 103

Lee Trevino 6 29 11

Tom Watson 8 39 4

Raymond Floyd 4 22 5

Billy Casper 3 51 10

Johnny Miller 2 25 7

TOTALS 40 252 151

As even a fukking blind retard can see, there is no fukking comparison in the competition Tiger faced to the competition Jack had to go against.

Furthermore, it is even more startling when you consider the following........

In 1970, Jack Nicklaus was the No. 1 ranked golfer in the world; Player was No. 2, Casper No. 3, Palmer No. 4, and Trevino was ranked fifth. Aside from Jack Nicklaus, Player, Casper, Palmer, and Trevino won nearly 18 percent of PGA Tour events.

In 1972, the best year of Nicklaus’ career; a year that saw him win three out of the four majors, Nicklaus was ranked No. 1, Player No. 2, Trevino three, Bruce Crampton four, and Palmer five. In 1972, Player, Trevino, Crampton, and Palmer won 16 percent of PGA Tour events.

In 1999, the start of the "Tiger Slam," Tiger Woods was ranked No. 1 in the world, he was followed by David Duval, Colin Montgomery, Davis Love III, and Ernie Els. In 1999, aside from Tiger Woods, the remainder of the top-five ranked players in the world won only 10 percent of PGA Tour events.

In 2000, other than Tiger Woods, the remainder of the top-five ranked players in the world won 11 percent of PGA Tour events.

In 2007, aside from Tiger Woods, the remaining members of the world’s top five won just 10 percent of PGA Tour events.

Bottom line...

Jack Nicklaus is the greatest golfer to ever walk the earth.

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito
    frogsrangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5421

Jack is better. Also I remember when David Duval had a lot of hype. Talk about a guy who fell off the face of the earth quickly.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

You do understand the depth of players Tiger and the current PGA field faces today vs. Jack's era, along with the increased # of international players who are now viable on the major scene? I'm assuming you took that into consideration before this rant of a post, right?

Who came up with your list of the "best" Tiger faced vs. the "best" Jack faced? You?

And FTR, I've never been of the belief that Tiger was "better" than Jack. Please don't make me defend Tiger anymore.

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

This can't be decided until tiger is finished.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by boeing power View Post
    This can't be decided until tiger is finished.
    Age isn't on Tiger's side, given the tork that has always driven his swing. Striker fixing his putting is a big help. I still don't think he wins another major.

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Age isn't on Tiger's side, given the tork that has always driven his swing. Striker fixing his putting is a big help. I still don't think he wins another major.
    He will definitely win at least one more.
    Last edited by boeing power; 04-15-13 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Spelling

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito

Quote Originally Posted by boeing power View Post
    He will definetly win at least one more.
    If he does I will give you 20 betpoints.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

PhillyFlyers proving once again to be mentally-challenged. Kid has no clue about golf these days. The fields are not only so much deeper than they were in Jack's day but they are much deeper than they were just 15 years ago when Tiger was getting started. Tiger can still win majors but there is a hurdle he needs to get over mentally and he has yet to do it. I think he is a lot further along on the way back than he was 2 years ago but he's still not the same guy he used to be on the weekends in the majors.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21665

These stats prove the exact opposite of the posited conclusion. It proves that there were only a handful of decent golfers back then so they won all the tournaments. The field is so much larger and deeper now there is no comparison. The talent pool is so much wider that it is almost impossible for any one golfer to dominate. Much more of an international game. The fact that Tiger did dominate for a period (not now) just makes that all the more impressive since nobody else around his era has come close. Even the actual field for tourneys is much larger. Majors can have 100-120 entrants now. Back then it was more like 40-50.

Stocks
    Stocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2984

Was just about to say same as above post. Those stats prove that there are more good players now that can win any given week.

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito

Tiger Woods couldn't hold the jockstrap of Jack Nicklaus even if Jack was hanging from a telephone pole from his scrotum.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

If Tiger had played in Jack's day, he wouldn't even have half of the number of major wins he does now. Fact.

t-wizzle

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers View Post
    If Tiger had played in Jack's day, he wouldn't even have half of the number of major wins he does now. Fact.
    "Fact." How can something that is unproven be a "fact." Dude you get dumber by the day I swear.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    "Fact." How can something that is unproven be a "fact." Dude you get dumber by the day I swear.
    Get lost you fukkin loser fraud. You buried people on this board that were stupid enough to tail you retarded fukkin t-wolves +9.5 play you fukkin dirtball.

t-wizzle

Get lost you fukkin loser fraud. You buried people on this board that were stupid enough to tail you retarded fukkin t-wolves +9.5 play you fukkin dirtball.
    that play covered the other night. thanks.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

that play covered the other night. thanks.
    No it didn't you fukkin lying retard. You told everyone to take the ML in the game. Did you forget that?

Jeffie
    Jeffie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1163

If this were the case why did Jack and arnold even say the competition nowadays is alot tougher?
    Only a dumbass who doesnt follow golf would say tiger is overrated.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffie View Post
    If this were the case why did Jack and arnold even say the competition nowadays is alot tougher?
    Only a dumbass who doesnt follow golf would say tiger is overrated.
    Who the fukk did he play against?

That's why he's overrated.

t-wizzle

No it didn't you fukkin lying retard. You told everyone to take the ML in the game. Did you forget that?
    Get your story straight kiddo. Keep trying. Oh and while you're at it, keep taking big juicy faves in hockey.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Get your story straight kiddo. Keep trying. Oh and while you're at it, keep taking big juicy faves in hockey.
    Dikkhead this was the headline of your post......

T-wolves +9.5; ML +450

Your so stupid, you don't even know what you write.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Who the fukk did he play against?

That's why he's overrated.
    The international infusion of golf talent has revolutionized the game. I'm sorry you can't see that.

Now goddammit, stop making me defend Tiger Woods in this thread.

Hadley13
    Hadley13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 576

I find it hard to believe you put the 2000 Tiger Woods Vs. Jack in his prime, that Jack would be better than him. Tiger won 4 majors in a row, he obliterated the us open by 15 strokes, he won the us open on a broken leg! I just don't think Jack was the golfing savant that Tiger Woods was, over his career Jack was more consistent though.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

In 1945 Nelson enjoyed a record-breaking year, winning 18 of 35 PGA tournaments including 11 in a row.[14] Both records are still yet to be beaten. Nelson however lost many chances at major championships during this year, and previous years, because of the war, and only won the 1945 PGA Championship.[14] There has been debate to how impressive these results are, as it was believed to be a weakened tour due to the war.[15] But in reality many of the leading golfers of that time, including Sam Snead and Ben Hogan still played a full or at least part schedule that year.[15] Both Snead and Hogan won multiple times on the tour in 1945.[15] During this year Nelson finished second another 7 times, set a record for the scoring average (68.33 for 18 holes) that was only recently broken (by Tiger Woods in 2000), a record 18 hole score (62), and a record 72-hole score (259, which beat the previous record set by Ben Hogan earlier that year).[15] This year is now known as the greatest single year by a player on the PGA Tour, as Arnold Palmer said: "I don't think that anyone will ever exceed the things that Byron did by winning 11 tournaments in a row in one year."[16] Even more recently, Tiger Woods referred to the year as "one of the greatest years in the history of the sport."[16]

So Philly, clearly this was at a time of low quality and little competition on the PGA tour. And guess what, fewer players compiled lots of wins, as opposed to today, where a larger pool of players compile smaller number of wins.

If Byron won 18 of 35, Snead won 6 that year, and Hogan won 5, there obviously weren't many other players who won that year. And if you want to tell me that the most competitive golf has ever been was in the middle of WWII, well then it would just confirm what everyone here already thinks about you.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Jack Nicklaus devoted a lot of time to his family. It's common knowledge. Even if Tiger breaks Jacks record, the answer is still Jack Nicklaus

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Do we also know if Tiger took performance enhancement drugs? Tiger used to look very muscular for a golfer.

Hadley13

Quote Originally Posted by will2survive View Post
    Jack Nicklaus devoted a lot of time to his family. It's common knowledge. Even if Tiger breaks Jacks record, the answer is still Jack Nicklaus
    Lol it's not like Tiger has abandoned his children unlike a lot of pro athletes! As far as steroids go, it certainly is possible, but I don't see it.. He's not that muscular as he is only 180 pounds, he hasn't had any side effects like a bigger head or acne, and he is actually a shorter player than he used to be..

Hadley13

Beta blockers would help a golfer a lot more than steroids would!

tto827

Quote Originally Posted by Hadley13 View Post
    Beta blockers would help a golfer a lot more than steroids would!
    Very good point, one of the few legit medications you really can't get a waiver for as a golfer. I had to switch my migraine meds from a beta blocker because NCAA regulations allowed for me to continue to take adderall, but said beta blockers are a no go!

Hadley13

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    Very good point, one of the few legit medications you really can't get a waiver for as a golfer. I had to switch my migraine meds from a beta blocker because NCAA regulations allowed for me to continue to take adderall, but said beta blockers are a no go!
    Nice, so you played in college?

tto827

Quote Originally Posted by Hadley13 View Post
    Nice, so you played in college?
    I'm at a junior college in Cali right now. Sort of fell into last resort option, as none of the offers I was hoping to get last year fell into place, but still had to register with NCAA clearinghouse and go through all that crap. I'm from the midwest and had no desire to stay in a shitty climate if I was going to golf.
    Last edited by tto827; 05-02-13 at 06:07 PM.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

tito does the ncaa know that youre a degenerate gambler?

tto827

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

tto827

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year