TheBeautifulGame
    Y.N.W.A.
    TheBeautifulGame's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1102

Stupid Poker players

I'm not suggesting that I'm a brilliant Poker player, I'm pretty much a beginner but as anyone noticed stupid poker players that raise a stupid amount of money without seeing any cards and just hoping for the best? Or players that think that a pair of 2s is a good hand???

I just had a hand a moment ago in a sit n go, came 3rd. To claim third this idiot decides to raise 2500 chips before seeing any cards. I have 6000 chips with AK. I say why not and go in. Luck was in my favor when A K J came out so he's raising and raising and I'm going with him looking for anything that can beat me until he goes all in.......

He has a pair of 3's????

Why do it? Trying to bluff me????

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

Im the only person that likes playing bad players, all I hear all day is ppl bitching about poker players making bad plays, hell I love that, the rest of the world for some reason wants to play only great players and lose their shirt

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

I love playing bad players, easy money in cash games, in tournaments one of them seems to bust u with bs.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

I've read the first post over and over and don't understand how you are explaining the hand. I will say Sit and Gos get extremely loose the bigger the blinds and usually the first person to shove or raise wins the pot.

Fiasco
    The Firm
    Fiasco's Avatar Become A Pro!

icm is crucial in sngs...

what you think is stupid in a sng is probably the correct play (given the blinds are high and everyone is short stacked... It's actually stupid to play anything but aa, kk, possible qq and aks early... but you probably play qjo just like the guys you're criticizing....)

and it's often profitable to shove any 2 blind vs blind late

and it's stupid to be results oriented on 1 play in 1 sng...

btw I don't even understand how this hand was played... it sounds like he shoved for 2500 pre flop but then you make it sound like he raised all in on the flop... either way you shoulda 3bet shoved his raise pf given stack sizes vs blinds and whatever other conditions there may have been

oiler
    oiler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2500

Quote Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
    I love playing bad players, easy money in cash games, in tournaments one of them seems to bust u with bs.
    trust me if u want to play some bad players.play some freerolls.the frst round is about all ins every other hand trying to double or triple up.

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

Quote Originally Posted by oiler View Post
    trust me if u want to play some bad players.play some freerolls.the frst round is about all ins every other hand trying to double or triple up.
    Yea but u gotta beat 5000 players to win a 100 bucks and it takes 7 hours if u do pull off the miracle, if poker tourneys were all winner take all 5000 man tourneys it would just be insane

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

true bet true

oiler
    oiler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2500

Quote Originally Posted by bettilimbroke999 View Post
    Yea but u gotta beat 5000 players to win a 100 bucks and it takes 7 hours if u do pull off the miracle, if poker tourneys were all winner take all 5000 man tourneys it would just be insane
    your absolutely right ,thats why i dont play the freerolls except the ones on sbr.i prefer playing turbo tourneys but u still have the ones who like to double and triple up going all in on anything.the only problem i have with that is.i think any player can play anyway he wants cause it is his money but when u get a player who plays such a crappy hand and suckouts and talks crap like he did something special..thats no good poker.the worst thing in poker is a suckout witha big mouth

andrew5
    andrew5's Avatar Become A Pro!

i know i hate stupid players read my thread how my pocket kk got beat by k6 call all in with 66k hi idiot

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

Blind aggression wins tournaments when it gets down to 3 or 4 ppl and less.

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Fiasco View Post

what you think is stupid in a sng is probably the correct play (given the blinds are high and everyone is short stacked... It's actually stupid to play anything but aa, kk, possible qq and aks early... but you probably play qjo just like the guys you're criticizing....)

btw I don't even understand how this hand was played... it sounds like he shoved for 2500 pre flop but then you make it sound like he raised all in on the flop... either way you shoulda 3bet shoved his raise pf given stack sizes vs blinds and whatever other conditions there may have been
    While I agree with some of what you said I disagree completely with only playing queens or better early. The early parts of tourneys are the best time to limp with weaker hands because you're seeing the cheapest flops. With those big hands you are very often going to win little or lose a lot early on because a big raise isn't going to bring in many chips and a small raise will get you too many callers. Its all about position and the style of play the table is playing anyway, but most often you can limp with those weaker hands or even raise in the right spots. Only playing prime hands early on is a great way to make sure that you're in 5th or 6th place when 6 people remain and 3 get paid.

Fiasco
    The Firm
    Fiasco's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by DrStale View Post
    While I agree with some of what you said I disagree completely with only playing queens or better early. The early parts of tourneys are the best time to limp with weaker hands because you're seeing the cheapest flops. With those big hands you are very often going to win little or lose a lot early on because a big raise isn't going to bring in many chips and a small raise will get you too many callers. Its all about position and the style of play the table is playing anyway, but most often you can limp with those weaker hands or even raise in the right spots. Only playing prime hands early on is a great way to make sure that you're in 5th or 6th place when 6 people remain and 3 get paid.
    I'm strictly talking 9 man stt tourneys first off.

and yes limping all pocket pairs aqs and ako is good, I didn't include that because I was just trying to show that you are supposed to play tight early, loose late. I'm saying I'm only raising the top 3-4 hands through the first 2 levels... it's just not worth playing a big pot with something marginal like kj... I understand a lot of profitable and winning players do play a wider range but I think for arguments sake you can't be too tight early. If you lose a big pot with KK or AA or something then it's variance and so what... long term it's proven to work. It is how you beat sngs. learning perfect push/fold strategy for middle/late game. if someone wants to play postflop or marginal hands then cash is where they should play...

imo you can't be too nitty early on.

tltaylor89
    FVn=S(1+c)n
    tltaylor89's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yeah I knoww how he feels the blind raise killed me more than once.You can have DOuble Bullets and draw a dead flop.While the stupid sapp across the table has 4 pair Qs

UntilTheNDofTimE

Its guys that only play AJ AQ AK AA KK QQ and etc that get knocked out in tourneys. As said earlier the beginning of the tournament is when u want to see 35-40% of flops. Waiting out for premium hands only is dumb, first of all blinds will eat you up and secondly your giving yourself away. I play live cash games 15-30 hours a week you can read the bluffers, the aggressors, and the people who only raise with premium hands. You need to mix up your game to keep people guessing and thats the name of the game. What pro have u seen only play premium hands? You can sit there for hours and only get 2 playable hands in your eyes

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Cash games and any type of tournament are completely different games altho they are both called hold'em.

Playing a 89s in a tournament could be a good play, in a cash gm, NO. IMO

TheBeautifulGame
    Y.N.W.A.

Ok, to make things clearer. I had AK, in the end he had a pair of 3's.

Blinds are in and he raises 2500 and I meet him. Everyone else has foled. 3 cards are dealt, A K J. He raises again, I follow him looking for anything that can beat me. Next card is dealt (cant remember now it was yesterday) , he goes all in. I follow him and cards are turned over revealing my two pair (AK).

Two pair is a mug hand to go in with I know but a pair of 3's??

The reason for the thread is to try and figure out why a poker player whom is doing quite well in the tourney, play like this.

Was he trying to bluff me? Of course, if he got another 3 he would have won but it's a stupid hand to keep raising and raising on IMO
    Last edited by TheBeautifulGame; 09-08-09 at 02:52 AM.

UntilTheNDofTimE

Might have been on tilt if he raised you pre-flop with a hand like that he had to but you on high cards, the original raise was probably to figure out his position/ steal the pot, when he was called he should have got out of it though, just a dumb move

TheBeautifulGame
    Y.N.W.A.

Quote Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
    Might have been on tilt if he raised you pre-flop with a hand like that he had to but you on high cards, the original raise was probably to figure out his position/ steal the pot, when he was called he should have got out of it though, just a dumb move

Thats what I was thinking. Usually people will raise a large amount because they want you to THINK they have a brilliant hand. Once the cards were dealt he should have cut his losses and ran.

20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure
    20Four7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4120

Quote Originally Posted by Fiasco View Post

ICM is huge in SNG's or MTT's unless it's a double up SNG. 4 handed any pair is huge and a shove will win you the blinds and keep you alive. If your called with 33 by AK your off to the races. AK is a nice hand that unless it runs into AA or KK is a coin flip.

If he raised and was 4th in chips no matter what my chip count I put him all in preflop. If he's got more chips and pushes I fold my AK insta. I want to be the one pushing not calling for a flip.

20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeautifulGame View Post
    Ok, to make things clearer. I had AK, in the end he had a pair of 3's.

Blinds are in and he raises 2500 and I meet him. Everyone else has foled. 3 cards are dealt, A K J. He raises again, I follow him looking for anything that can beat me. Next card is dealt (cant remember now it was yesterday) , he goes all in. I follow him and cards are turned over revealing my two pair (AK).

Two pair is a mug hand to go in with I know but a pair of 3's??

The reason for the thread is to try and figure out why a poker player whom is doing quite well in the tourney, play like this.

Was he trying to bluff me? Of course, if he got another 3 he would have won but it's a stupid hand to keep raising and raising on IMO
    he is an idiot then because if you call and all those broadway cards come out what does he think you have. you could have A x, you could hve Q 10 you could have J 10. you can hit it so many ways.

donjuan
    donjuan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7537

Whole thread is hilariously full of terrible info and advice (although playing tight in early rounds of STTs is certainly not bad as it let's you have a wider opening range with higher blinds)

If he's got more chips and pushes I fold my AK insta. I want to be the one pushing not calling for a flip.
    But out of everything I think this is the most ridiculous. The idea that AK is going to be a flip against any hand that shoves (regardless of stack to blind ratios) preflop in a STT is wowowoowowoowow bad. Play around with the equity AK has vs. various shoving ranges on PokerStove and either you'll see how absurd this idea is or you are completely wrong in your assumptions about your opponents' shoving range.

20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure

In a STT tourney you want to be the aggressor not the caller especially on the bubble. I would rather push an 8 4 off than call with AK. Unless your opponent is ultra loose it makes no sense to call here.

donjuan

In a STT tourney you want to be the aggressor not the caller especially on the bubble. I would rather push an 8 4 off than call with AK. Unless your opponent is ultra loose it makes no sense to call here.
    Indeed you want to be the aggressor but what bizarro STTs are you playing where people shove exclusively pocket pairs preflop and nothing else?

20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure

They don't. but AK off vs Q J off is what 60/40... maybe a little better. It's about making the money here. Yes they could have AQ and you have them dominated. Poker is about being the aggressor.

donjuan

They don't. but AK off vs Q J off is what 60/40... maybe a little better. It's about making the money here. Yes they could have AQ and you have them dominated. Poker is about being the aggressor.
    First, give us a stack sizes, blinds and how many place. Beyond that, how do you plan to make the money when you're folding premium hands like AK especially when plenty of people are shoving any ace in these spots? And if you play with any of these people on a regular basis, there are definitely some metagame considerations where being the aggressor isn't as great as it might be against randoms that you'll never play again.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Quote Originally Posted by donjuan View Post
    First, give us a stack sizes, blinds and how many place. Beyond that, how do you plan to make the money when you're folding premium hands like AK especially when plenty of people are shoving any ace in these spots? And if you play with any of these people on a regular basis, there are definitely some metagame considerations where being the aggressor isn't as great as it might be against randoms that you'll never play again.
    Good example of what I said in post 16.

Can not even think about it, call or all in.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Sounds like he got married to the hand. On the flop he made a stab at the pot and was called. For an aggressive player, there is nothing wrong with making a stab at the pot on the flop unless you (a) can't pull yourself away from the hand or (b) bet so many chips proportionate to your chipstack that you have to make a bet on the turn. Keep in mind that he has no idea you have AK and is representing a big hand himself. If he had 7500, bet 2500 pf, 2500 on the flop, he has to make a bet on the turn. All we can really do is guess though. Just sounds like he got married to the hand.

Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have trouble discerning "stupid" I like players that I can beat no matter how they play. I play lorts of hands early with connectors or suited connectors I nearly always call from the small blind if no raise is put up and fold bad cards if the BB raises. Late I get more conservative. Once in the money I go looser a bit and on the final table I play tight until I get a good read on the others. Poker is about timing not cards!!!!!

gharo11
    gharo11's Avatar Become A Pro!

Lol I like it when I get the other person pissed enough to play 1 on 1 with me. Then I eat them alive =]

gharo11
    gharo11's Avatar Become A Pro!

Lol I like it when I get the other person pissed enough to play 1 on 1 with me. Then I eat them alive =]

jayc88
    Update your status
    jayc88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1151

Quote Originally Posted by 20Four7 View Post

folding ak is a huge mistake