keemosabi
    keemosabi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2268

Is it the right move to hedge with a live bet?

The other day I bet a NHL game at about -160 odds. After the first, my team was up by about 3, so I live bet the other team for a few bucks at around +2200 odds. Was this the right move? Or should I have just held off on the hedge?

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

the right move has nothing to do with your original bet

if the team you bet at +2200 had a better than 1 in 23 chance of winning the game at that point, then it was a smart bet. if not, then it wasn't.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

^^^ what he said. Regardless of your initial position the second bet should be made only if it is +EV as a standalone wager.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

I always hedge on live bet in college football because of the strange swings in the game. One game that comes to mind was LSU-Alabama this year where I had LSU pregame but hedged with Bama a few minutes before the game ended.

keemosabi
    keemosabi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2268

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    the right move has nothing to do with your original bet

if the team you bet at +2200 had a better than 1 in 23 chance of winning the game at that point, then it was a smart bet. if not, then it wasn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    ^^^ what he said. Regardless of your initial position the second bet should be made only if it is +EV as a standalone wager.
    I had a feeling that was going to be the correct answer, but it's hard to give up guaranteed money even if it is -EV.

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    I always hedge on live bet in college football because of the strange swings in the game. One game that comes to mind was LSU-Alabama this year where I had LSU pregame but hedged with Bama a few minutes before the game ended.
    Yeah that's what I've been doing in hockey games with teams that have been having trouble holding leads.