fearless
    fearless's Avatar Become A Pro!

Iverson's fall from grace: UNIQUE IN SPORTS HISTORY?

Just last season he started in the all-star game, earned $21 million, and was on a team that had been to the conference finals six straight years.

This year he's lucky to earn $3.5 million as a reserve for the Grizzlies (the only team that actively pursued him). They were the only team willing to pay him a measly $3.5 million to play for them, just one year after he earned $21 million dollars!

Can anyone remember a fall from grace like this in any sport, this fast (with the possible exception of a debilitating injury)? In one season he'll have gone from an all-star starter earning $21 million a year to a reserve for the worst team in the league!

I think this situation may be unique in all sports history.
    Last edited by fearless; 09-10-09 at 03:39 AM.

Nickelicious
    Nickelicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 213

Roger Clemens could have earned $50 million or more in 2 or 3 years if it hadn't been for his steroid scandal.

Iverson has an opportunity to take the Grizz up to a .500 team and demonstrate his value to every GM in the NBA.

It would not surprise me at all if AI has a great season and negotiates a 1-year contract with a championship-contending team in 2010. Iverson loves money, but he wants a ring to secure his legacy. Unfortunately, I think he is on the same road as Karl Malone: you didn't make winning a ring a priority soon enough, and now you are just an old former superstar trying to get a ring when you have nothing left to actually make it happen.

But no, this is hardly the worst fall from grace in history. Rather typical, actually.

fearless

Quote Originally Posted by Nickelicious View Post
    But no, this is hardly the worst fall from grace in history. Rather typical, actually.
    Please give examples that don't include major injuries (Iverson's injury was minor) or scandals please. You have to give examples where the facts approximately match what happened to Iverson:

All star starter and one of the highest payed players in the league to bench player for the worst team in the league in one year without a major injury or a scandal.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Pedro Martinez - a 8 time All-Star and 3 time Cy Young winner came off a $13M+ salary with the Mets and sat on his arse for most of this season since nobody wanted him before taking a $1M contract with the Phillies.
    Last edited by tacomax; 09-10-09 at 04:25 AM.

fearless

Quote Originally Posted by tacomax View Post
    Pedro Martinez - a 8 time All-Star and 3 time Cy Young winner came of a $13M+ salary with the Mets and sat on his arse for most of this season since nobody wanted him before taking a $1M contract with the Phillies.
    Sounds good but did Martinez make the all-star team the year before he signed the $1 million deal?

CashMoney
    CashMoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

I can't think of anyone. The crazy thing is that AI is on the decline but is still a good player. I'm actually shocked that he had little interest from other teams.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

He is a team killer and into himself which is a recipe for failure in the NBA. He was not a true all star last year and was voted in by the fans. He was vastly overpaid last year. He is worth about 3 million a year ad a role player.

Yes he is a hall of famer

R3Sports
    R3Sports's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I actually think that AI will have somewhat of a decent season!

CaneDawg
    CaneDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

i would play for 3.5 million

Enogsiwon
    Dead
    Enogsiwon's Avatar Become A Pro!

he's got enough money.. probably doesnt want to take a bunch of PED's in order to compete.. Pedro has no problem taking them.. as you can see he is back to throwing in the low 90's.. old men dont just find their fastball again..

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

fearless

Quote Originally Posted by CaneDawg View Post
    i would play for 3.5 million
    So would 99.999....% of the world would. Does anyone remember when Latrell Sprewell was offered like $7 million a year and he turned it down and said "I've got to feed my family", anyone remember the specifics of that?

BestPlay2day
    BestPlay2day's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5087

Quote Originally Posted by fearless View Post
    So would 99.999....% of the world would. Does anyone remember when Latrell Sprewell was offered like $7 million a year and he turned it down and said "I've got to feed my family", anyone remember the specifics of that?
    Wolves offered him a 3 year $21 million extention before the last year of his contract which he made around $12 million a year. He had a bad year in his final year and no one would offer him more than the mid level exception. He was 34 or 35 years old and his skills were declining so not sure why he thought he was worth so much. After no one signed him, he became irrelavant and never received any offers.

R3Sports

Yeah, that was hilarious, laughed everytime I saw it..

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog
    VegasDave's Avatar Become A Pro!

I got you; Derrick Brooks.

Will be a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Selected to ELEVEN PRO BOWLS, including the 2008 season, in which he had 73 tackles with a forced fumble and an interception.

CUT by the team he spent his entire career with. Not re-signed anywhere.

What do I win?

R3Sports

The girl in your avatar!

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog

Quote Originally Posted by R3Sports View Post
    The girl in your avatar!
    MONZIKOVA FTW!

aggieshawn
    SBR youtube Channels
    aggieshawn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1634

AI has been declining for years. His worth was more from a good agent than talent.
    How about the last three number 1-2 NBA draft picks. World beater potential to nothing.

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2311

Im a Griz fan live near Memphis at the Griz games when we get to 100 pts everyone gets something from Taco Bell. When the Griz break 100 they yell for the 100 pts it's usually the only thing to root for .....this year with AI/GAY/RANDOLF/MAYO They are thinking of making it 170 lol for just plain Nacho's
    Should be N INTERESTING YEAR any game in the past I have been able to get scalpers to give me (2) 50 dollar seats for 30/40 total at game time that wont happen this year unless they toilet quickly

fearless

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDave View Post

Selected to ELEVEN PRO BOWLS, including the 2008 season, in which he had 73 tackles with a forced fumble and an interception.

What do I win?
    All I can do is post the TSoprano smiley in your honor:

R3Sports

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDave View Post

What do I win?
    Forgot to give you credit about this one, nicely done!

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog

All I can do is post the TSoprano smiley in your honor:

Great thread though, took some thinking!

Most falls are indeed from serious injury or scandal. Nagging injuries wear you down, but like you said, not this fast.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Barry Bonds.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Quote Originally Posted by Nickelicious View Post
    Roger Clemens could have earned $50 million or more in 2 or 3 years if it hadn't been for his steroid scandal.
    huh?

Clemens retired at 43

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Shaun Alexander exited stage left pretty swiftly. Goes from MVP to not being able to gain a yard for the Skins last year.