ScurvyPirate
    ScurvyPirate's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by qb1789 View Post
    hahahahha youve gotta be kidding. There is absolutely no chance in hell that SS goes to minny. IDC if his dad was the fukkin AD. NOT HAPPENING!
    Do you know SS personally? If not, then I highly doubt you know more than I do in regards to this situation. If you do, more power to you. Its all speculation otherwise. Like I said before, its about 50-50 right now. He isn't going to UCLA.

ScurvyPirate

And yes Stevens and SS can hand pick their school. No doubt about that. You guys have seen the big 10 this year right? Why would he want to go to the pac12, when he could be in the same group as izzo, belein, thad, ryan, crean.....how many more reasons do u need?

HOT WINGS
    HOT WINGS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3651

If any of you think that Shaka Smart would go to Minny over UCLA you are completely out of your mind. Yes Minny firing Tubby is kind of ridiculous who the hell they going to get to replace him? People here talking like the Gophers have a rich basketball history. Before Tubby what the hell was there? After Tubby it will be the same as before if not worse. Sometimes people get the ax to make people feel good upstairs but in the end nothing will change dramatically at Minnesota.
    Last edited by HOT WINGS; 03-25-13 at 07:33 PM.

RonPaul2008
    Update your status
    RonPaul2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243569

Quote Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
    clearly none of you know what is going on here. i am from minnesota and will explain.

tubby was a decent coach, but wasnt able to keep big time minnesota talent from leaving or transferring to other schools. 46-62 in big 10 play, never finishing higher then six.

the clown who said they are going for flip is stupid, thats not the plan.

teague was the former AD at VCU and will try to get shaka smart here.

if he can get shaka, id fire tubby 10 minutes ago.

why minnesota? big 10, and lots of money.

minnesota is a better job then ucla if you think about it and remove ucla's history.
    He turned down Illinois last year.

ScurvyPirate

Well SS isn't going to UCLA. So I would say there is a better chance of him going to minny. That's just basic math!

Why is everyone so blinded by the 60s and 70s UCLA mystique? Those days are looong gone. Young kids don't give 2 chits about them. I'm Not saying SS is a lock for minny, but it's a hell of a lot higher than UCLA.

ScurvyPirate

He turned down Illinois for a variety of reasons. He will def consider a big 10 job, Illinois had issues....

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273617

Quote Originally Posted by broadway6 View Post
    Minnesota isn't a basketball power house. I would think fans would be happy winning a game in the tournament. Better than Georgetown the past 6 years.
    u would think wrong then.

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273617

Quote Originally Posted by HOT WINGS View Post
    If any of you think that Shaka Smart would go to Minny over UCLA you are completely out of your mind. Yes Minny firing Tubby is kind of ridiculous who the hell they going to get to replace him? People here talking like the Gophers have a rich basketball history. Before Tubby what the hell was there? After Tubby it will be the same as before if not worse. Sometimes people get the ax to make people feel good upstairs but in the end nothing will change dramatically at Minnesota.
    before Tubby? not much but we did have a sniff.. the 1997 Final Four team played in the NBA: Bobby Jackson, Sam Jacobson, Quincy Lewis, John Thomas, and Trevor Winter.

Tubby is a complete clown fraud now in his career we were sold a bill of goods on him..6 years was too long but what can you so.. Smart here soon.

HOT WINGS
    HOT WINGS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3651

Quote Originally Posted by trytrytry View Post
    before Tubby? not much but we did have a sniff.. the 1997 Final Four team played in the NBA: Bobby Jackson, Sam Jacobson, Quincy Lewis, John Thomas, and Trevor Winter.

Tubby is a complete clown fraud now in his career we were sold a bill of goods on him..6 years was too long but what can you so.. Smart here soon.
    Was that the season the wins got revoked because of recruiting violatoions or something to do with Bobby Jackson? I would put the odds of Smart going to Minny at about +500000 over UCLA. Just my opin

Brent13081
    Fading the home team(Minnesota)
    Brent13081's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6148

A bunch of clowns who think Tubby is that good of a coach or that Minnesota fans should be thankful for a win in the tournament.. Most fans with common sense want there team to win it all or compete for that... When u pay a man 3 mil a year for 6 years and produces these results it should never ever be accepted... And to the fuckin clown who says what the gophers were before tubby... Do some research... U act like he has done something great for the program.... Clem Haskins was a good coach.. Final four in97... Gophers went to elite 8 in 1990... Way further the Flubby

ScurvyPirate

Yes that was the final four that never happened for minnesota. I will take your odds and lay down 500. Can you pay that if it happens? Kidding of course, but seriously SS is IN play whether you want to believe it or not. Will they close a deal.....not sure. 50-50 until I hear otherwise. I have my doubts only because minnesota isn't a powerhouse in cbb. Other factors may trump this however. Will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

The last good coach the Gophers had was Musselman, and he was far from squeaky clean.

stevenash

^
    Now in a language we can all understand please.
    I admit it, I failed Martian in college.

CMNoney
    CMNoney's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6389

A lot of people in this thread will be left with egg on face.

Minnesota will get a great coach. Teague never would have made this move if he didn't already know who they legitimately have a shot at.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Guys, I Made a thread a few days ago.

Shocka is going to UCLA...

/thread

stevenash

Very close friend of mine lives in the Twin Cities. He works in sports there.
    Great sports state, I respect them for that, however, correct me if I'm wrong, kids don't want to play up there.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Quote Originally Posted by CMNoney View Post
    A lot of people in this thread will be left with egg on face.

Minnesota will get a great coach. Teague never would have made this move if he didn't already know who they legitimately have a shot at.
    Teague wouldn't of left VCU (who is about to lose their coach) for BIG 10 $$$????

Some of guys, make me wonder...

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

I am a Tubby fan.

I don't think we can do any better as far as coaching goes.

MN is making the wrong move IMO.

CMNoney
    CMNoney's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6389

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDAY View Post
    I am a Tubby fan.

Would Flip be better than Tubby in your mind?

I think he's a lock if they don't land Shaka. I personally feel Flip would be an upgrade over Tubby.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by CMNoney View Post
    Would Flip be better than Tubby in your mind?

I think he's a lock if they don't land Shaka. I personally feel Flip would be an upgrade over Tubby.
    Trust me. We aren't Landin either. I would be satisfied with either. But mark my words... Won't happen.

ScurvyPirate

As of now, my take is either Shaka Smart or Jay Wright. Shaka loves VCU for sure, but he had maxed out his potential there. Dude ain't going to UCLA, you can take that to the bank. Zero chance, nadda.

Flip loves the university, I just don't see it happening.

qb1789
    qb1789's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 368

Now you say jay wright??? Come on man your overrating the Minnesota bball program way too much. Stop pouncing on every rumor you read. What's next Phil Jackson?

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7858

Quote Originally Posted by broadway6 View Post
    You make a good point. A great recruiter is all you need in college sports.
    it's not all you need. ask ben howland. hell ask josh pastner at memphis, they always have a top recruiting class. ask steve fisher 20 years ago. etc. etc. well-coached teams time and time again win titles. not that they don't have players, but 'recruiters' are generally not a threat to be contenders, especially not with any regularity.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7858

I am a Tubby fan.

i wholeheartedly agree and if i was a minnesota fan i would be pissed.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BIGDAY

ScurvyPirate

I can't wait for the hiring. Folks, norwood is no joke. He has ties within the cbb coaching rank. I can't tell you it will be SS, or Wright or Grant, but it will be solid hire. Dude wouldn't have fired tubby if he didn't have a plan. Shaka still the leading candidate however. There is a major amount of high school talent in minny right now, this is a good coaching oppopportunity. Most of you guys have no clue what you are talking about.... and I'm not listening to rumors. It's called being plugged it folks.

hrgonz0
    Update your status
    hrgonz0's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2885

Is it true your players don't have free access to the gym, and that there have been times when you have had to reschedule practice b/c the women's team had the gym scheduled? Whether true or not, it's hard to compete when your recruits keep hearing about your facilities, or lack thereof. Good luck with your new hire.

qsilver335
    qsilver335's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

Minnesota will not find a better coach than Tubby Smith. There are better coaches out there, but none are leaving their teams any time soon.

Jericholic
    The Ayatollah of Rock 'N Rolla
    Jericholic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8286

As a diehard Gopher basketball fan this was definitely the right move, dude won 1 NCAA tournament game in 6 years and did less with more talent than any coach in the country, not to mention his in game coaching shortcomings (insane substitution patterns, no flow on offense, putting players in situations that they weren't cut out for). There is absolutely no reason that Minnesota can't be a team that finishes in the top half of the Big Ten year in year out. I don't think that they get Smart, but I wouldn't be surprised if Teague made a run at another former VCU coach in Anthony Grant.

Jericholic
    The Ayatollah of Rock 'N Rolla
    Jericholic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8286

Quote Originally Posted by hrgonz0 View Post
    Is it true your players don't have free access to the gym, and that there have been times when you have had to reschedule practice b/c the women's team had the gym scheduled? Whether true or not, it's hard to compete when your recruits keep hearing about your facilities, or lack thereof. Good luck with your new hire.
    This is true and may be a bigger problem than the coaching. I heard someone (Dan Dakich maybe?) say on the radio yesterday that he believes the lack of a top tier practice facility has been a major factor in the Gophers being unable to keep top recruits in state.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Quote Originally Posted by DOM_Toretto View Post
    Tubby is a garbage coach - one of the WORST recruiters in major basketball conferences. Tubby had more talent this year than 75% of tourney teams easily
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBig33 View Post
    You are an idot..."
    Contradictions everywhere in this thread!

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

Why all the love for SS??

VCU blows.

FadeMyPlay
    FadeMyPlay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 496

Why all the love for SS??

VCU blows.
    And he really was a nobody before VCU. Wasn't he Clemson's assistant? Although I'm unimpressed with Tubby's performance, as a Minnesotan I believe he was probably the best we could do under our current circumstances. There's talks of a new practice facility, but until its built we are just a second class big ten program.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

Exactly. UofMN will have to "prove it" to me at least.

People can bash Tubby but I don't see the better in this deal.

Gopher Wrestling and JRob will be where my $$$$ goes.

BeatingBaseball
    It's all about the price
    BeatingBaseball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 70

Quote Originally Posted by ScurvyPirate View Post
    He turned down Illinois for a variety of reasons. He will def consider a big 10 job, Illinois had issues....
    Illinois has far fewer "issues" and significantly more potential than Minnesota. All the Illini need is the right coach.

ScurvyPirate

I'm not sure if SS style will translate to the BIG 10, certainly didn't against michigan. Granted the athletes could be better. Personally I prefer Hoibergs style of coaching and his effective offensive sets (thanks Flip). Sounds like a hiring will be made official by end of week from what I can pry away. SS leading candidate.

First 123 Last