stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32279

Vernon Wells Reportedly Will Be Traded to New York Yankees from LA Angels

With a slew of injuries and an aging roster, the New York Yankees are looking to add a little extra pop into the lineup by reportedly acquiring outfielder Vernon Wellsvia a trade with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. ESPN's Wallace Matthewsreported the move, citing "two sources who requested anonymity."

UPDATE: Sunday, March 24, at 8:09 p.m. ET by Dan Talintyre
    ESPN's Buster Olney reported the financial details of Wells' contract:
    ---End of update---

According to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, Wells has already said his goodbyes:
    Matt Snyder of CBSSports.com mentions the deal will not be considered official until Monday at the earliest, as the commissioner's office must approve the acquisition.
    With the possibility that Curtis Granderson, Mark Teixeira, Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter will all start the season on the disabled list, the Yankees were in danger of coming into 2013 with their weakest lineup in years.
    Some may question whether the addition of Wells will really remedy that ailment. Wells hit .230 with 11 home runs and 29 RBI in 77 games last year, and he was the Angels' fourth outfielder coming into spring training this year.
    He was relatively ineffective in 2011 as well, hitting a paltry .218, though he did add 25 home runs and 66 RBI. He has certainly never come close to living up to the seven-year, $126 million extension he signed with the Toronto Blue Jays in 2006, a deal that has two years and $42 million remaining.

In other words, he was expendable this season. Paying a fourth outfielder and an occasional designated hitter that amount of money for the production Wells offers simply isn't worth it.
    It does show how desperate the Yankees are to add offense—though the fact that the Angels will reportedly send a lot of cash along with Wells certainly helps.

New York is in danger of missing the playoffs for the first time since 2008, and in the brutal AL East, only a wild-card berth might be available. The Toronto Blue Jays drastically improved in the offseason, while the Tampa Bay Rays and Baltimore Orioles have young, talented rosters.
    If Wells can help the Yankees stay afloat until players like Granderson and Teixeira return, he'll be well worth the investment.
    But for a Yankees team that once was one of the main players in free agency each season, a stopgap trade in spring training for an underwhelming, overpaid player like Wells seems extremely out of character.
    Desperation isn't a trait baseball fans often associate with the team, but it seems apt this spring.

Stocks
    Stocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2984

I can't believe the Jays were actually able to get rid of Wells. He is 100% shit

stevenash

No ! No ! No, 1000 times no.
    My God how stupid are George's kids.
    They want to get younger and trim the payroll, they go and do the direct opposite.
    Wells is a has been, made a score for himself money wise off a fluke 30 homer season, 3 years ago, when his game almost had relevance. Now, he's just another broken down 30 something. His wrist barks, his shoulder is barking, and he has hammy problems.

A-Rod, Jeter, Tex, etc. need more company on the DL I guess.
    Points Awarded:

Mikeyanks23 gave stevenash 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Horrible move by LA

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

numbers don't lie, and this overpaid stiff doesn't have anything left in the tank motivation wise or talent wise. expect a .235, 11, 44, in about 100 games here. why not develop some fresh young cheaper player that some team might be willing to part with.

stevenash

^Exactly, I am a die hard NYY fan, the team I root for can't win every year, no college or pro team can. I get that.
    Tino has been gone for a decade now, Bernie almost the same, Brosius, Paulie, all gone. It's over, I get that.
    A-Rod's hip is shattered, Jeter is slowing down and now breaking down.

I have no problem with NYY throwing in the towel, and say something like, "We'll build around Cano, Gardner is electric in the outfield, we got Pineda coming back in July, we got kids, we'll develop kids, we'll compete, but bear with us, it's a new era, a new generation. We'll be back."

But it's almost insulting grabbing a Wells, and the other has beens that's been signed.

rcene
    rcene's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yankees are clearly concerned with all the injuries.

The reason they could not go after Hamilton was the Rodriguez contract.

Going to be a long year for Yankee fans

Mikeyanks23
    Welcome to Darkhat Nation
    Mikeyanks23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2046

id rather have melky mesa in the outfield. they should have used the $ to get someone to play first.

Juan RIvera our first baseman

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7684

as a yanks fan i like the move. wells is a east guy. he will do well

GamblerSpirit
    TheCentaur, Spankie gone fishing :(
    GamblerSpirit's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post

Yankees are nuts for doing this

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Vernon Wells will make the DL on the cross country trip to NY.

Bet10Heinekens
    Bet10Heinekens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5044

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    He's washed up. ..why not give a young kid in the farm system a shot

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    we got Pineda coming back in July
    Is that really the word? Seems like forever since we got to watch this kid throw.

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

yankees will be fine in the upcoming years ... 2015 is our year and spending year ...

jeter gone
    arod gone
    granderson gone
    rivera gone
    pettitte gone
    kuroda gone
    ichiro gone
    youk gone

all these big contract guys will be off the team by 2015 .. except for maybe jeter i cant see any of these guys in a yankee uniform in 2015 .

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

Quote Originally Posted by You mad bro View Post
    yankees will be fine in the upcoming years ... 2015 is our year and spending year ...

jeter gone
    arod gone
    granderson gone
    rivera gone
    pettitte gone
    kuroda gone
    ichiro gone
    youk gone

all these big contract guys will be off the team by 2015 .. except for maybe jeter i cant see any of these guys in a yankee uniform in 2015 .
    granderson probably the only one not retired.

stevenash

^
    And Cano, NYY has to pay him now.