greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Question in regards to Jay's Vegas Thread

I feel our man here won't be out there too much longer, dwindling roll that doesn't seem to be experiencing any upswings.

Question is how much do you guys think is sufficient for an endeavor like this? $2700 obviously doesn't seem to be working for Jay here. Would $5k with a decent ride to sleep in once a week make much difference? Even then would you need a quick double up to make things a little easier? We're not talking living at the Wynn and high rolling everyday, but enough to not be hitting up a $7.99 buffet for your one daily meal.

Herbie check in.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

I don't know...out of college, maybe I could try to do Vegas Jay style. Now, no way, I don't have it in me to grind away like that. I'd rather spent a week on a wilderness survival trip than do what he's doing.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: greenhippo

greenhippo

Would have to add that getting a job, anything, would be a must. Vegas is 24/7 so the worry about missing the action is nonexistent. Even a part-time shit job will get you an extra $600?? a month, enough to pay for your food or most of a rent.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

anyone with half a brain coulld get a job making 15 an hour out there...of course a job probably serves a better purpose to meet some locals and pass the time if its half decent....id probably get to a golf course to do something out there and get free golf outta the deal while im at it

hard to tell if jay has a drinking problem or just gets caught up in the fun but if youre gonna try to gamble seriously you CANT drink that much....and yes id have to cut back myself

anyway im far from a high roller and when i go for three days i bring what he started with so i couldnt even say a specific number
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: greenhippo, and Mikeyanks23

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

^^ Always amazes me how people can't find decent jobs. I've worked multiple jobs for summers and never even started that discussion at less than $10 an hour.

Hell, use your brain and find a sharp around different forums who needs data collection, easily get $15-$25 an hour on a self-reported time clock.
    Points Awarded:

greenhippo gave tto827 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

greenhippo

Same here, my half dozen trips last about 5 days each time, bring a couple grand and expect to come back with very little of it. But then I don't think about budgeting myself so much.

High3rEl3m3nt

I always bring twice as much as what I tell my wife.

pokernut9999
    pokernut9999's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bankroll is irrevelant .......... if you have no knowledge or disicpline .

High3rEl3m3nt

Quote Originally Posted by pokernut9999 View Post
    Bankroll is irrevelant .......... if you have no knowledge or disicpline .
    For me in this scenario it is not. Daily expenses coming out of the 'roll and then there is the whole pressure factor. You know your living expenses and your average wager is less. Scary stuff. I think for Jay, this is just a fun challenge, because I'd be holed up in some cheap motel room, not wanting to go anywhere if I was under this kind of pressure.

greenhippo

I don't think this is a fun challenge for him. He's trying to make it work but going through over 30% of his money a week.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

lets be honest

this guy has next to no plan and whatever plan he had he's tossed out the window a long time ago

the fact that he's blown through almost 80% of his funds in what...3 weeks? and he was trying to last 6 months?

him packing it in this week or next is the least surprising thing ive read on this board
    Points Awarded:

greenhippo gave InTheDrink 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Dollar value required depends on the person greatly.

But I would think its doable with 3k if you just got a job to pay for food/living expenses.

$8 an hour, work 40 hours a week should be able to do that if you are really, really trying to scrap by.

I fail to see the point in his efforts though. What's the best case scenario? The guy barely makes it through and just wasted 6 months of his live grinding at tables eating fukkin slop once a day.

greenhippo

6 months, if he's there an entire month I'll be happily surprised.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

He seems like a good guy that's just looking for an experience. Good on him.

Would I have done things a bit differently? Sure, I think. But until I'm in his shoes its impossible to say.

I wish him luck in finding whatever it is he went out there for. Including a job.

Good luck gangsta. Living vicariously through you.

Nova99
    Nova99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

I think what hes doing is actually better than trying to survive in vegas with a job, assuming he has safe passage home when his money runs out at least there is a stop limit. If you work in vegas and like to play poker, horses, and sports as much as he seems to then you are just going to give up everything you earned on over time, it may be a bigger grind on your life.

Many have gone to vegas and lost everything they have, then took out some cash advance with high interest in an effort to chase it back. Big risk to potentially ruining your credit and your financial future for years to come. I would give him a lot of credit for actually sticking to a BR limit, from what he has said there doesnt appear to be a bailout option (no cc advance, no one to wire over money, etc).

greenhippo

Not really a bankroll limit, that's all the money he has. Point wasn't to go out there looking for some fun memories and to have some fun. If that was the case he'd at least be staying at the Luxor. He's trying to stay there and never come back, in order for that to of happened a lot of changes needed to take place, hell there were some things he should never have even tried (drinking, betting parlays). That's not the case and after two weeks he's down $2,000 of his original $2,700.

I figure 3 months food and rent totally paid for upfront with at least a part time gig to save up with a $5k roll could see someone last a while. Granted I think the person would need to push, not regularly, but enough, on some chalky lines (Heat series price in first and second round of playoffs for example) to make a few bills is an absolute must.

greenhippo

Oh and the person can't be a complete donk when it comes to sports betting, or at the poker table or whatnot.

Nova99
    Nova99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

true, its not really a BR, but it is a stop limit. I guess none of us really get why he is doing it, maybe to prove a point to himself/someone else? maybe its an escape from the everyday life? only he knows and i doubt most of us would understand the reasoning behind it.

i guess my point is to get a job to support and fund gambling is not a good thing to do, thats just asking for trouble IMO.
    Points Awarded:

greenhippo gave Nova99 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

SpreadSniper
    SpreadSniper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7261

jay is a slow-witted fool taking a brisk walk off a short plank....

Cheers to delaying the inevitable, I suppose.

High3rEl3m3nt

Quote Originally Posted by Nova99 View Post
    I think what hes doing is actually better than trying to survive in vegas with a job, assuming he has safe passage home when his money runs out at least there is a stop limit. If you work in vegas and like to play poker, horses, and sports as much as he seems to then you are just going to give up everything you earned on over time, it may be a bigger grind on your life.

Many have gone to vegas and lost everything they have, then took out some cash advance with high interest in an effort to chase it back. Big risk to potentially ruining your credit and your financial future for years to come. I would give him a lot of credit for actually sticking to a BR limit, from what he has said there doesnt appear to be a bailout option (no cc advance, no one to wire over money, etc).
    I don't know if I agree with this. A job helps to free up some of the pressure, bring some income in, and take up a chunk of the day that might ordinarily be spent unproductively.

wilson34
    wilson34's Avatar Become A Pro!

I gave him all winners yesterday in his thread. They were overlooked. I wanted to help the poor sap actually have a winning day. Yesterday was the day to gain some momentum. Duke ML, Parlay Miami+ Florida, I told him to parlay Ind, MIa, Fla, Duke. Told him to take the points with FGC and ISU. I know I'm new here so why would he listen to me. Even if he did win he would piss it all away drinking. I'm sure it's hard being in LV and not being a lush if that's your thing to begin with. He's gonna do it his way which is going to lead him straight to the gutter. If he really wanted to succeed at this endeavor he had to be on top of his game and be more frugal. If you can't pick winners you have no shot.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

wilson to be fair you basically announced your presence here by letting us know its okay to sleep in a car and have to sell some plasma to get by. Those aren't the signs of a gueye who only picks winners.

Just sayin

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

If you have 3k and want to explore this life of sports betting and poker then do it online from home first. Grind the 3k from the comfort of you're home to a real bankroll. If it goes well after a year or 2, then go out there w/ some capital.

I don't have much money but come on man , I've dropped 3k at a roulette table in a few hours before.

I wouldn't consider going w/ less than 30k. I'd be comfortable than and could also have fun at the same time. I'm not going to live like a bum and hoping I can go 4-2 in $8 wagers on the day to pay for a few drinks.

Grind local poker tournaments/cash games and post up on a 5 dimes/heritage/bookmaker w/ you're 3k. When you get to 20k maybe you can this discuss this but w/ a much better plan.

Listen,

I literally lived at the taj for 2 years and thought I wanted that life. It's great but its so mentally draining day in and day out, especially if you don't have a 'crew' w/ you.

Now I just want to run my business, and take short trips that will fulfill that lifestyle.

Of course if I came into life changing money I would live like that, GL
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Mikeyanks23

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by wilson34 View Post
    I gave him all winners yesterday in his thread. They were overlooked. I wanted to help the poor sap actually have a winning day. Yesterday was the day to gain some momentum. Duke ML, Parlay Miami+ Florida, I told him to parlay Ind, MIa, Fla, Duke. Told him to take the points with FGC and ISU. I know I'm new here so why would he listen to me. Even if he did win he would piss it all away drinking. I'm sure it's hard being in LV and not being a lush if that's your thing to begin with. He's gonna do it his way which is going to lead him straight to the gutter. If he really wanted to succeed at this endeavor he had to be on top of his game and be more frugal. If you can't pick winners you have no shot.
    Hey.........Broke Dikk Fukk.........you've been here a week. Slow your roll.

So you happened to toss out some winners in Jay's thread yesterday. You have zero history here. Why the fukk would he tail you? If your plays were losers would you be in his threads today telling him what a fukking loser you are?

Nick Papageorgio
    Nick Papageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

You will need at least 3 months living expenses, then your gambling bankroll. If you are looking to play 1/2 poker and bet sports i'd say 25-30k is a solid starting roll.

wilson34
    wilson34's Avatar Become A Pro!

Calm down Billy. I've been following his thread and it's obvious he needed some help and nobody else was giving him any winners and he apparently wasn't hitting on anything either. It was a waste of my time though and could care less how this turns out because the guy is a complete moron but hey, to each his own.

greenhippo

Guess your stomach for putting your BR on line should be taken into account. Someone with the balls to put their entire $6k roll on a spread mixed with some luck could easily reach a goal to live a little easier.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Why not get a job out there too?

greenhippo

I said that would be a must, absolute must. Even something parttime.