Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

not a great start for the big ten

michigan and msu notwithstanding. they are usually a pretty weak conference but this year might be worse than most. PSU with their cupcake sched, might win em all and go to big bowl and lose by 27

Madukwe
    Madukwe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

Ohio State got rolled by Navy, and they barely even threw the ball. They ran straight up the middle on them and OSU couldn't handle it.

As a fan, I hope its just a fluke and that they can defend the spread offenses in the Big Ten. They need to be able to handle the option formations/play much better tho

Next weekend will either be very interesting or a GIANT disaster for the Bucks

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

anyone lines out for usc/osu yet?

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

Thats the thing, scheduling this game, before USC especially, was insane. They will never see the triple-option again this season. Even navy moving the ball doesn't mean much, navy leads the nation every year. They would give any team problems.

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Madukwe View Post
    Ohio State got rolled by Navy, and they barely even threw the ball. They ran straight up the middle on them and OSU couldn't handle it. As a fan, I hope its just a fluke and that they can defend the spread offenses in the Big Ten. They need to be able to handle the option formations/play much better tho Next weekend will either be very interesting or a GIANT disaster for the Bucks
    Navy never throws the ball, they run for 300 yards a game. They definitely did not just run "straight up the middle on them", they ran a triple option that is hard for most teams to defend because you never see it and it is incredibly difficult to simulate in practice.

Badgers currently looking good.

Cougar Bait
    2010 Poster of the Year
    Cougar Bait's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3289

Quote Originally Posted by DrStale View Post
    Navy never throws the ball, they run for 300 yards a game. They definitely did not just run "straight up the middle on them", they ran a triple option that is hard for most teams to defend because you never see it and it is incredibly difficult to simulate in practice.

Plus Purdue stomped a decent Toledo squad...although Minnesota and Illinois looked terrible.

Intuitive_Edge
    Bi-Winning +EV
    Intuitive_Edge's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 291

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar Bait View Post
    Plus Purdue stomped a decent Toledo squad...although Minnesota and Illinois looked terrible.
    Minny is probably the most overated in that conference. Last year was no difference.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

as a buckeye fan my concern today was their offense. Tressel is WAY too conservative with TP. TP better be running wild next weekend and prove to USC D he can/will tuck it and run.

Madukwe
    Madukwe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

Quote Originally Posted by DrStale View Post

I understand the complexities of the triple option and that they didnt easily run up the middle. What I meant is that they seemed to shred the defense, where they made it look easy by making big runs that ended up going straight through the middle.

On another note, I agree that it was a terrible decision to schedule this game. To prepare for USC, they should've scheduled a game against an opponent with similar offensive styles. Now, instead of spending weeks prepping to play against sets similar to USC, they essentially have a week to transform from "triple option" mode back to the spread/passing attack mode. Like I said, it could be interesting or a huge disaster lol

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

I just think the big ten get's less and less top quality recruits each year

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

they get solid recruits....... the ones from the midwest

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

they get half the solid recruits from the midwest, and the other half go to the warm weather schools in the acc, sec, big twelve, and pac-10..... and the big ten get's 11% of the solid recruits or less.... from warm weather states.

twentyonekid
    twentyonekid's Avatar Become A Pro!

PURDUE looked the best to me today,..PENN ST could have won 50-0 but laid down whole 2nd half,..OHIO ST poor showing ,maybe because of USC coming in next week,...ILLINOIS just horrible,all the talk this week about them rolling over MIZZO,sorry didn't come close,...WISC.,won but against nobody and not impressive....guess the rest are just also rans as of now