Sledge187
    Sledge187's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6001

Horse Racing

Anybody know horse racing well? Can you make money on it if you are informed? I don't know anybody who does it but I don't hang out at the track.

GP
    GP's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 864

go to the track, ask some of the degens picking tickets up from the floor looking for winners if one can make money over the long haul betting on horse racing.

Jeffie
    Jeffie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1163

I have been betting on horses for quite some time, I'm a very good handicapper but its like betting on sports you have your ups and downs. It's def more of a hobby, and I would not recommend it being anyone's day job.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3229

High takeout. A lot of decisions to make. Most will lose long term. If played for entertainment purposes and in moderation it's a great game. Making money long term in the horse racing game is a Pipe Dream.

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2311

Being an owner or trainer is a huge edge in betting

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68483

It certainly can be accomplished but decades of work and knowledge are needed to have any chance long term.

If you are just starting to learn the game, enjoying it at an entertainment level is the best advice I could give you.

dugbug15
    dugbug15's Avatar Become A Pro!

some days you're the pidgeon,most days you're the statue. bettors beware!

davidchong
    davidchong's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 697

high takeout?, what u talking about?. a lot of sites give rebates, what has better takeout? a pick 5 or 5 teams parlay?., or a pick 4 vs 4 teams parlay?.

davidchong

high takeout?, what u talking about?. a lot of sites give rebates, what has better takeout? a pick 5 or 5 teams parlay?., or a pick 4 vs 4 teams parlay?.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
    High takeout. A lot of decisions to make. Most will lose long term. If played for entertainment purposes and in moderation it's a great game. Making money long term in the horse racing game is a Pipe Dream.

Easy-Rider 66

Quote Originally Posted by davidchong View Post
    Track W-P-S Exacta Trifecta Superfecta Daily Double Pick 3 Pick 4
    ALB 19.00 22.00 25.00 25.00 19.00 25.00 25.00
    AP 17.00 20.50 25.00 25.00 20.50 25.00 25.00
    AQU 14.00 17.50 25.00 25.00 17.50 25.00 25.00Here is some takeout info. Aqueduct is listed. Win place show and exacta's is a higher takeout than 10% Vig. Not sure about parlays vs. picks 3's

mikemca
    Update Status
    mikemca's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 98

Yes and yes.

The people who can't beat it themselves or follow horse racing 1 to 4 times a year for the Kentucky Derby,Preakness,Belmont, and Breeder's Cup will tell you it can't be beat or stay away.

Its like anything else, if you are willing to put in the time and effort then you can be successful.I believe it to be the best option when it comes to gambling.A 20-1 horse is much easier to find than a 20-1 dog in sports.The reason is that the bettors set the price in horse racing and they are often wrong whereas the books set the price in sports and they are pretty sharp.Most will say the take is the reason it can't be beat but I'd venture to guess that they think that because they are betting the wrong horses.

mikemca
    Update Status

Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    go to the track, ask some of the degens picking tickets up from the floor looking for winners if one can make money over the long haul betting on horse racing.

So because there are some crackheads in the city the whole city must be crackheads?

Quote Originally Posted by konck View Post
    Being an owner or trainer is a huge edge in betting
    This isn't true .Most owners and trainers overrate their horses .

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14730

We have our share of experts here. Lot of the big Derby-prep races coming up with value to be had.

davidchong

After rebates my takeouts at Aqueduct are:
    WPS 11%, Exacta 12%, Tri & Super 14.75%, DD: 12%, Pick 3,4,5 is: 14.75%

A take out for a parlay of 4 teams for $10 bet is:
    A. fixed payout book: 10-1.... outcome 1 of 16. from 160 you get 110.... 31.25% takeout
    B. true odds -110... outome 1 of 16. from 160 you get 132.80... 17.00% takeout.

A take out for a parlay of 5 teams for $10 bet is:
    A. fixed payout book: 20-1.... outcome 1 of 32. from 320 you get 210.... 34.35% takeout
    B. true odds -110... outome 1 of 32. from 320 you get 253.53... 21.72% takeout.

So a "high takeout" at horses is no true.
    Maybe is "***slightly***" higher for regular players, for rebates player horses "takeouts" are better than sports in therory "takeouts".

Track W-P-S Exacta Trifecta Superfecta Daily Double Pick 3 Pick 4
    ALB 19.00 22.00 25.00 25.00 19.00 25.00 25.00
    AP 17.00 20.50 25.00 25.00 20.50 25.00 25.00
    AQU 14.00 17.50 25.00 25.00 17.50 25.00 25.00Here is some takeout info. Aqueduct is listed. Win place show and exacta's is a higher takeout than 10% Vig. Not sure about parlays vs. picks 3's

exstatman
    exstatman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 324

My argument against the "high takeout" is simple; if you believe a horse is fair odds at say 5-1 and is going off at 10-1, do you NOT bet because the takeout is too high?

Easy-Rider 66

Quote Originally Posted by mikemca View Post
    Yes and yes.

The people who can't beat it themselves or follow horse racing 1 to 4 times a year for the Kentucky Derby,Preakness,Belmont, and Breeder's Cup will tell you it can't be beat or stay away.

Its like anything else, if you are willing to put in the time and effort then you can be successful.I believe it to be the best option when it comes to gambling.A 20-1 horse is much easier to find than a 20-1 dog in sports.The reason is that the bettors set the price in horse racing and they are often wrong whereas the books set the price in sports and they are pretty sharp.Most will say the take is the reason it can't be beat but I'd venture to guess that they think that because they are betting the wrong horses.
    So do you make a living by betting the horses? There are exceptions, but I would think most people are wiser to play as a hobby than to try and become full time players.

Easy-Rider 66

Quote Originally Posted by exstatman View Post
    My argument against the "high takeout" is simple; if you believe a horse is fair odds at say 5-1 and is going off at 10-1, do you NOT bet because the takeout is too high?
    If you are playing the answer is of course no. But take a look at some charts on track takeout's. I would think you would prefer to play at a track with a low takeout. Over time high takeouts can really erode one's profit.

Stocks
    Stocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2984

Betting horses is my new favourite thing. I've only been doing it a couple weeks but I kind of got the hang of how to handicap it now.

I only bet woodbine because its basically the only good program I can find it has everything I want to know right there. By the way its harness racing aswell.

I do have a question though how much should you consider the trainers or owners? Right now I don't even really look at them I focus mainly on the driver and the horses past results.

So far biggest win $600 on a .50 superfecta box ($12), I also hit the trfecta on the same race aswell paid $200 I think that was a $1 trifecta box so $12. I've also hit a few other Trifectas for one 1 or 2 hundred and a few race winners for a couple hundred plus a lot of smaller wins. Edit also hit a $550 Trifecta.

Anyway theres 11 races tonight and I capped myself at $550 or $50 per race actually $48 per race I have $8 set aside for a pick 3 and 16 set aside for a pick 4. The $48 per race is going to be split up $24 on a horse to win and $24 on TRX and SPX. The Tri will either be .50 on 4 horses or $1 on 3 and the Super will be .50 on 4 horses.

If I can remember I'll try to update this thread tomorrow on what happens.
    Last edited by Stocks; 02-25-13 at 01:14 PM.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by mikemca View Post
    So because there are some crackheads in the city the whole city must be crackheads?

This isn't true .Most owners and trainers overrate their horses .
    The crackhead line is spot on.

The 2nd line is right again Mike. Most owners, if not all owners, overvalue their horses. As for trainers, many seem to live in a fantasy land when it comes to how good their horse really is. Maybe it is because I was a handicapper as a kid that became a horseman instead of the other way around but it is one of the things that worked in my favor when I started training. There were only a handful of trainers that really spotted their horses where they should have. Back then, it was not treated as much like a business as it is today although there are still plenty of trainers that just don't get it.

exstatman
    exstatman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 324

If you are playing the answer is of course no. But take a look at some charts on track takeout's. I would think you would prefer to play at a track with a low takeout. Over time high takeouts can really erode one's profit.
    My point is, an overlay is an overlay. If you want to make the argument higher takeout might make those overlays less frequent, that's a legit discussion, but bottom line is, racing gives the little guy a shot at a big score, where betting sports requires a big bankroll to make a big hit.

Easy-Rider 66

Quote Originally Posted by exstatman View Post
    My point is, an overlay is an overlay. If you want to make the argument higher takeout might make those overlays less frequent, that's a legit discussion, but bottom line is, racing gives the little guy a shot at a big score, where betting sports requires a big bankroll to make a big hit.

Agreed. A 10 horse field produced a 1000X return on investment on an exacta at keeneland last year. It does give the small player a chance to make a big score.

Jeffie
    Jeffie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1163

Flashback 1:11 flat 6f time this morning during workout.

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

I know a few guys that play horses for a living. One of them only has a few plays a week and he wins about 70 percent of his races and he plays some that does have a price. He plays an exata from time to time but he doesn't play a tri or a super ever. He does on occasion plays a double or a pick 3. The key thing with him is to be selective.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffie View Post
    Flashback 1:11 flat 6f time this morning during workout.
    Don't get too excited about that. Easy to run fast when it's all your way. Different when it's in the afternoon. Might be a negative, so let's see.

mikemca
    Update Status

So do you make a living by betting the horses? There are exceptions, but I would think most people are wiser to play as a hobby than to try and become full time players.
    These were the questions..."Anybody know horse racing well? Can you make money on it if you are informed? "

Nothing about making a living at it , just making money and I agree with your second statement.People that want to take it on as a full time player should realize it would be no different than a regular job and far less fun than if it were just a hobby.

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15296

They should take those whips away from those midgets. Who the fuk beats a defenseless animal?

harthebar
    harthebar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9700

i was always told about the takeout by some professional gamblers.....there are take out up to 28 % on some bets.......but i was told ...you can make a lotg of it back on rebates.....but most of all on the players who just go to the track and play names ,birthdays ...1-2-3- etc.....you make some of the percentage back that way............but anyway pick a few tracks ...stay with those tracks......learn the tracks .......learn the horses at the tracks ....dont play every race .......sometimes dont even play....wait ...dont get greedy.........dont chase that 30000.00 superfecta just win like a hourly job.............listen to people on this site like str mikemca they gve great advice.............go to STR BLOG ...START FROM THE VERY BEGINNING ,,,AND READ EVERYTHING HE WROTE.........THEN WIN
    Quote Originally Posted by davidchong View Post

Slimpickens
    Slimpickens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6151

Horse racing is the best gambling investment available and its not even close.