stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32267

Duke basketball fans slammed for allegedly chanting ‘How’s your grandma?’

Duke basketball fans slammed for allegedly chanting ‘How’s your grandma?’ at N.C. State player whose grandmother died last week

A handful of Cameron Crazies allegedly heckled Wolfpack freshman Tyler Lewis with the heartless chant as he shot free throws in the second half. Duke denied the claims, saying the students were chanting 'Past your bedtime' at the boyish baller.

Duke basketball fans are coming under fire after a group of cold-hearted Cameron Crazies reportedly chanted "How's your grandma?" at a North Carolina State player whose grandmother died last week.

Tyler Lewis, a freshman guard for N.C. State, lost his 83-year-old grandmother, Margie Campbell Lewis, to complications from pneumonia on Feb. 1.

During Thursday night's game in Durham, the Cameron Crazies — Duke's junk-talking student section — relentlessly heckled Lewis with chants of "Bilbo Baggins" — the boyish guard is listed at 5-11, 157 pounds — and "Past your bedtime!"

Lewis was shooting free throws in the beginning of the second half when a group of students began shouting, "How's your grandma?" according to an N.C. State sports reporter, a Wolfpack player and Lewis' dad.

Nolan Evans, an editor for N.C. State's student newspaper who was at the game, tweeted that a "handful of dumb college kids" in the student section started the chant.

Evans later re-tweeted a message from N.C. state forward Richard Howell.

"He lost his grandma and y'all chant that? Cowards," Howell's tweet said.

Lewis' father, Rick Lewis, told the local News & Observer newspaper he heard the taunts about his mother.

"It was mostly 'Past your bedtime,' but there was an instant when a brief number of students chanted about Tyler's grandmother," Lewis, who was sitting behind N.C. State's bench, said.

"It wasn't the entire student section. I think a few tried to outdo themselves," he said.

The alleged chant was also picked up by TV cameras, though some local media, Duke fans and officials said the students were chanting "Past your bedtime," not "How's your grandma?"

"We have looked into the stories that are circulating on the internet, talked to dozens of people who were at the game, and no one we've talked to, including several of the 50+ journalists who were sitting in front of the student section, heard the alleged chant," Duke basketball spokesman Matt Plizga told the Daily News in an email.

"What has become clear is that there was no organized chant by the Cameron Crazies referencing Tyler Lewis' grandmother, nor was there any reference to his grandmother's recent passing on the standard cheer sheets that are distributed among the students prior to each game."

Accusations about the tasteless taunts come days after a Duke fraternity was suspended for hosting an Asian-themed kegger that students slammed as a "racist rager."

The frat, Kappa Sigma, promoted the "Asia Prime" bash with emails that used stereotypical Asian-accented English, while partygoers were photographed throwing down in kimonos and conical hats.

stevenash

stevenash

Duke's 'fans' have been pulling this shit for years, why am I not surprised.

I'm a Yankee fan, but most of us have respect for Red Sox fans, I am also a NY Giants fan, I detest the Cowboys and the Eagles, but still, 99% of our fans don't go that low.

This is why myself, and countless others detest Duke, don't care how entertaining they are to watch, or how good they always are, bunch of entitled uber-rich spoiled ass hats, getting a 6 figure education on mummy and poppies trust fund

If Coach K is such a basketball god down there, he should be able to control that crap.

Mitchell88
    Mitchell88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post

I'm a Yankee fan, but most of us have respect for Red Sox fans, I am also a NY Giants fan, I detest the Cowboys and the Eagles, but still, 99% of our fans don't go that low.

This is why myself, and countless others detest Duke, don't care how entertaining they are to watch, or how good they always are, bunch of entitled uber-rich spoiled ass hats, getting a 6 figure education on mummy and poppies trust fund

If Coach K is such a basketball god down there, he should be able to control that crap.
    good post Nash that just isnt right to say to someone under any circumstances

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Over 9,000 Duke fans were at the game............let's not get our panties in a bunch over a "handful" of immature kids acting like dikkheads.

Mitchell88

Quote Originally Posted by William Walters View Post
    Over 9,000 Duke fans were at the game............let's not get our panties in a bunch over a "handful" of immature kids acting like dikkheads.
    no one is saying it was all of them, but if its loud enough to hear on the court its more than a "handful" and regardless how come none of the "mature" ones stepped up to say thats not right?

Powderguy
    Powderguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

stuff happens, it's not affecting us. who cares. hostile road environments, they aren't gonna give you milk and cookies and pamper your ass and shit COME ON

Mitchell88

Quote Originally Posted by Powderguy View Post
    stuff happens, it's not affecting us. who cares. hostile road environments, they aren't gonna give you milk and cookies and pamper your ass and shit COME ON
    stuff happens? NO SHIT, just saying that it wasnt cool thats all

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Powderguy View Post
    But you have to draw the line some place.
    That's unacceptable behavior

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

But you have to draw the line some place.
    That's unacceptable behavior
    Damn right.

There comes a point where decent human behavior has to supersede everything else.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

BigDeem5
    2013-2016 NBA: 461-378-24 +52.65u
    BigDeem5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2158

Duke could investigate and possibly reprimand the students but in the grand scheme of things, it is hard to control a crowd that large.

SportsPedagogy
    SportsPedagogy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 266

That was pretty cowardly of them. I will feel extra tingly inside when they are bounced from the tournament by another team that simply wants it more.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell88 View Post
    no one is saying it was all of them, but if its loud enough to hear on the court its more than a "handful" and regardless how come none of the "mature" ones stepped up to say thats not right?
    C'mon dude. How do you stop a group of lets say 15 drunk kids from chanting something for 15 seconds? It happens at every stadium in the world. Not a proud moment for Duke, but look at some of the stuff that was thrown at JJ Redick when he was there, sickening.

Dunno if it compares to the chant that probably 150 or so students started at a hockey game a few years back against our rival. They had had 5 people killed in drunk driving accidents over the past 2 or 3 months. So someone started, "drive home safely, don't drive drunk"

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21641

Sounded like more than a handful and certainly not spontaneous, they must have planned that. If Coach K doesn't speak out about this then he's a coward.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Sounded like more than a handful and certainly not spontaneous, they must have planned that. If Coach K doesn't speak out about this then he's a coward.
    All he would be doing is giving the kids who started it attention, just as articles like this do. Like the trolls here, stop giving them what they want, and maybe they will stop making a fool of themselves.

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

sounds like something deemer would be proud of

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

You can see him look up like "WTF" in between free throws for a quick second in that video......Fukk Duke and especially their fans

Chanting that in a blowout makes it even more pathetic if that's possible.....

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68521

If Coach K wants to step up and say something, the fans will certainly listen.

I would think that Coach K would be just as upset if indeed they said that.

It should not matter if it was only a dozen or not IMO.

They all represent the school and any tolerance of that would be unacceptable, no matter how many.

They're kids and need to be taught where the line is drawn.

He needs to take this teaching moment and work it.

I sure hope he does.

JohnnyBrooklyn
    JohnnyBrooklyn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

SCUM BAGS WILL BE SCUM BAGS!! DUKE=SCUMBAGS!

bama11braves
    bama11braves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 772

Amen brother couldnt have said it any better.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

These guys THINK they are so witty....bunch of snobby faggits

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

I could have gone to Duke but during the orientation visit I saw too many homosexual messages on the bathroom walls

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

worst college crowd incident of all time: steve kerr playing at arizona st and their fans chanting PLO....his father was assassinated in Lebanon where he was president of a college
    Points Awarded:

ChalkyDog gave InTheDrink 10 SBR Point(s) for this post.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Good.

Cameron Crazies are a bunch of super fags. Glad they are finally getting called on it.

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

I'm a Yankee fan, but most of us have respect for Red Sox fans, I am also a NY Giants fan, I detest the Cowboys and the Eagles, but still, 99% of our fans don't go that low..
    99% of the 9314 at Cameron Indoor didn't go that low either. Your rant about this is kinda ridiculous.