The General
    The General's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

Will Bob Knight show up? Hey, it could happen

Over the weekend, we college basketball fans learned of a relatively momentous thing: Indiana athletic director Fred Glass sent Bob Knight a handwritten invitation to the school's Hall of Fame induction ceremony, where Knight is going to be honored for his sporting contributions to Indiana University. Such an honor is a long time coming, and is the product of a whole new batch of people -- different president, different AD, and perhaps most importantly, different basketball coach -- in powerful positions at the school.

But just because you invite someone to something doesn't mean they'll show up. (I mean, I invite this guy Ryan to my birthday party every year, but I never actually want him to be there.) Knight is an irascible sort. He basically refuses to even mention Indiana when he's around a microphone no matter how many times Dick Vitale screams about naming Assembly Hall after him (after Knight) on ESPN College Gameday. Knight just sort of stares and doesn't say anything, and Rece Davis awkwardly moves the show along.

But if there's a chance Knight will ever come back to Bloomington, this is it. There are a couple of reasons for this.

• Fred Glass isn't messing around: Knight has plenty of friends left in Bloomington, and one of them is former Bloomington Herald-Times sports editor Bob Hammel, who has agreed to help Glass in his mission. It's hard to describe just how close Hammel and Knight were during Knight's heyday; John Feinstein's famous Season On The Brink captures Hammel and Knight as best friends whose respective duties never seemed to interfere with their closeness. (An argument about the journalistic ethics of being best friends with the prime subject of your coverage is for another day, I suppose, but let's just say it's more than a little questionable.) But anyway, if anyone can help convince Knight that now's the time to come back -- that they're getting too old for all this anger -- it's Hammel. Glass was wise to recruit Hammel to the cause.

• In recent years, Knight has shown a rapidly increasing ability to embrace forces he once so frequently collided with. The easiest example is ESPN. Knight once mercilessly insulted journalists at his press conferences, and even when he didn't have a TV-ready quip he was just flat mean. He apparently had zero respect for sports journalism. He hated it. And now, he is one of them.

This Indiana thing could arguably require even less of a reversal on Knight's part. Far as I can remember -- and who knows what Knight's said in private -- he's never said never to a return to Indiana. He just hasn't addressed the subject. And with a whole new batch of people in place, and a clear invitation not only from Indiana's fans but from the current administration itself, it wouldn't be that much of a leap.

Maybe Knight's still really angry, but if so, he's angry at the wrong things. The abstract, nebulous institution that is Indiana University didn't fire him. People did. Probably rightfully so. But if there was ever a time to forget those details and revel in honoring a fantastic (and fantastically flawed) college basketball coach, now is the time.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...n=ncaab,184696

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I think he will show

Bobby is a king

BGS 9.5
    BGS 9.5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3659

The General

Coach Knight stands for everything this country should stand for.

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14852

"...And my critics can kiss my ass..."

Hope they invite Bobby onto College Gameday for football sometime this season - cool having him there to break up the usual Corso mess.

BGboothA
    BGboothA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 212

The General

Knight not coming to IU HOF ceremony

Knight cites media attention, IU AD says

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (WISH) - Former IU basketball Coach Bob Knight will not be present when he is inducted into the IU Hall of Fame next week, the school says.

A source told 24-Hour News 8 that IU Athletics Director Fred Glass received a letter Wednesday from Knight notifying Glass that he will not attend next week's Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.

Knight is part of the new class that will be honored on Friday, November 6 in Bloomington.

In a statement, Glass said that all living inductees, other than Knight, will be attending the Hall of Fame ceremony.

“Coach Knight contacted me directly yesterday to let me know that he would not be attending the Hall of Fame ceremonies, primarily because of his concern that the media interest in his attendance would take away from the other people being inducted,” Glass said. “I absolutely respect his feelings on that and very much appreciate his response, which in no way suggested he opposed being inducted."

The university said it is expecting a capacity crowd at Assembly Hall to welcome the inductees.

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/sports/col...U_HOF_20091029

ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4175

Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    This Country meaning NORTH KOREA ,right ?
    Hongpong [or whatever] would love him !

dbldown
    dbldown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1395

Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    Amen brotha

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25
    Shortstop's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's his right to not show up if he doesn't want to. Bob Knight was an idol of mine while growing up. All coaches should strive to be like him.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I love Bobby Knight now, used to hate him years ago.

jagaf22
    jagaf22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 28

Robert Montgomery Knight: DISCIPLINE and ACCOUNTABILITY teaching young men more than the game of basketball.

"When my time on earth is gone, and my activities here are passed, I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass!"

Bob Knight

ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4175

Quote Originally Posted by jagaf22 View Post
    Robert Montgomery Knight: DISCIPLINE and ACCOUNTABILITY teaching young men more than the game of basketball. "When my time on earth is gone, and my activities here are passed, I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass!" Bob Knight
    Johnny Wooden [the real coaching legend] is not laughing !