BeerDog99
    BeerDog99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

Youtube video - debate on gamblers and addiction

Thought you guys might find this video interesting (at least parts of it).

I personally have a real hard time calling gambling addiction a disease but they make some interesting points.

Also, for those that like Annie Duke (not I, but she makes some valid points on gambling and poker), she is part of this panel.

Cheers!
    Points Awarded:

Cuse0323 gave BeerDog99 12 SBR Point(s) for this post.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

Interesting.

Now I know the name of the movie where a poker player used a magic power by moving cards across the table. Saw this like 20 years ago, never knew the movie title until now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097244/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

47 minutes is a long time.... any sort of cliffnotes or interesting parts?

daimoshokage
    daimoshokage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

too long..

BeerDog99

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    47 minutes is a long time.... any sort of cliffnotes or interesting parts?
    Really hard to cliff note a debate/discussion as it is not trying to make specific points.

Essentially the discussion breaks down into points about gambling addiction, how the government run lotteries are essentially a tax on people weak on math and how Hollywood plays up gambling myths.

Long and short of it, it is a good overall discussion on this topic.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

very good watch, especially Annie Duke's comments...she doesn't "gamble"

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

I will take a look at this later,

Thanks beerdog I'm sure its worth the watch

mcduggly
    mcduggly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2401

Quote Originally Posted by BeerDog99 View Post
    Really hard to cliff note a debate/discussion as it is not trying to make specific points.

Essentially the discussion breaks down into points about gambling addiction, how the government run lotteries are essentially a tax on people weak on math and how Hollywood plays up gambling myths.

I always hear people saying how the government is taking advantage of those people that aren't good at math with the lottery, but I know for a fact that people going into it know their chances are slim to none. NOBODY picks numbers expecting to win, so I wouldn't blame that on the government. Also, it's not like nobody in the history of the United States has won, because multiple people have, so it's not like there is a zero percent chance of winning, it's just an extreme form of gambling and I think people realize this even if they really are terrible at math.

BeerDog99

Quote Originally Posted by mcduggly View Post
    I always hear people saying how the government is taking advantage of those people that aren't good at math with the lottery, but I know for a fact that people going into it know their chances are slim to none. NOBODY picks numbers expecting to win, so I wouldn't blame that on the government. Also, it's not like nobody in the history of the United States has won, because multiple people have, so it's not like there is a zero percent chance of winning, it's just an extreme form of gambling and I think people realize this even if they really are terrible at math.
    Actually from my perspective and from what I remember in the commentary in the debate, it isn't as much about the tax on people with math skills (it really is...) but more about the hypocrisy that the government run the worst odds form of Gambling and the primary consumers of that gambling are people that generally cannot afford it and it supplements services that have been cut back from government spending programs. All the while the government also persecutes any other form of gambling that it does not "approve" of.

To me, really the key points are, that gambling in all its forms should be fully legal, regulated (to ensure fairness and legal recourse) and taxed (to provide for common good benefit and to recover costs of regulation).

and LOL to Annie not being a gambler....

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

They did make Poker as not a gambling because it is a game of skill and not a game of luck.
    I think she was basing her position off this court ruling.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1141574

BeerDog99

Quote Originally Posted by GunShard View Post
    They did make Poker as not a gambling because it is a game of skill and not a game of luck.
    I think she was basing her position off this court ruling.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1141574
    Agreed, I just find her attitude/tone very "holier than thou", not a fan of her but she represented well in this panel.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Quote Originally Posted by BeerDog99 View Post

Cool thanks, I'll have to give it a watch when I have time.