AstroTexAg
    AstroTexAg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 399

Should I be the House at annual Super Bowl party?

Every year my friends get together for a Super Bowl party. There are typically 30-40 people who attend and everyone is ready to gamble. Squares, points by quarter and bets between friends are the typical wagers. After looking over the many prop and player bets out there I realized that most of the gamblers at the party would love to try their luck at these specialty bets but I don't think any of them have a way to place them. I've always wanted to be a bookie but don't have the time. I realized this is an opportunity to do it for one night.

Each person probably only brings an average of $50 and there's only about 20 people who would participate. I would offer the same bets and odds as the books. I'm ok bringing a few grand just in case I lose.

Am I crazy? Do I stand a better chance of winning or losing? I'm sure its been done before. Did you come out ahead?

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

as the book your getting +110 its a no brainer.

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273617

yes but I would just do props..just make it seem like this is just "for fun"

have a nice page of props listed and to get it started have no juice coin flip..that will get your action going.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Reported.

AstroTexAg

Violation? Should I have read the agreement?

daneault23
    daneault23's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4955

Take em for all they're worth. They should know the risks before entering. GL pal.

ProfaneReality
    ProfaneReality's Avatar Become A Pro!

I do this as well... I also take 6 decks of cards and deal black jack during the game.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Reported! sorry pal times are tough

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2270

is this really a violation? What does it violate?

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Quote Originally Posted by ProfaneReality View Post
    I do this as well... I also take 6 decks of cards and deal black jack during the game.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Quote Originally Posted by goduke View Post
    is this really a violation? What does it violate?
    They're just busting your balls man.

AstroTexAg

Funny. I used to deal blackjack at the same guys house until I got cleaned out one year.

I think Im going to do it. Seems like fun but a lot of work confirming and calculating all the bets. I figure Ill bring a printout with all the plays. Im only worried about a few of my friends who seem to have horseshoes up their a$$es getting lucky and hitting some random bet with +10,000 odds. Maybe I should fudge those bets to limit my risk.

cankid
    cankid's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10352

Easy decision do it and dont look back

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19456

don't have a party w/ that many people.
    they cost too much money and it never seems worth the headache

I say stay at home with a handful of people or go to a bar with wi/fi for betting

you're over-thinking it dude, Super Bowl parties suck when you're hosting more than 10 people.

AstroTexAg

Quote Originally Posted by darrell74 View Post
    don't have a party w/ that many people.
    they cost too much money and it never seems worth the headache

I say stay at home with a handful of people or go to a bar with wi/fi for betting

you're over-thinking it dude, Super Bowl parties suck when you're hosting more than 10 people.
    Thats not what I'm asking.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3341

Quote Originally Posted by AstroTexAg View Post
    Every year my friends get together for a Super Bowl party. There are typically 30-40 people who attend and everyone is ready to gamble. Squares, points by quarter and bets between friends are the typical wagers. After looking over the many prop and player bets out there I realized that most of the gamblers at the party would love to try their luck at these specialty bets but I don't think any of them have a way to place them. I've always wanted to be a bookie but don't have the time. I realized this is an opportunity to do it for one night.

Each person probably only brings an average of $50 and there's only about 20 people who would participate. I would offer the same bets and odds as the books. I'm ok bringing a few grand just in case I lose.

Am I crazy? Do I stand a better chance of winning or losing? I'm sure its been done before. Did you come out ahead?
    Who Knows? You are taking a risk that you will lose money. This will be a quick hit so the players could take you for a ride. Venture at your own risk. GL.

Wilfred
    Wilfred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 528

Are your friends familiar with real gambling? Or are they expecting that when they bet $50 they will be getting $50 back if they win?

AstroTexAg

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    Are your friends familiar with real gambling? Or are they expecting that when they bet $50 they will be getting $50 back if they win?
    They know. If not I can explain it to them. Most of them have placed wagers in Vegas so they have some idea of betting odds.

AstroTexAg

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
    Who Knows? You are taking a risk that you will lose money. This will be a quick hit so the players could take you for a ride. Venture at your own risk. GL.
    That worries me. A couple of guys get hot and I'm paying out.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

astrotex check your tumblr account

i just sent you my first three plays

see you sunday gueyhe

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19456

That worries me. A couple of guys get hot and I'm paying out.
    their is that, but thats unlikely-you'll come out ahead

unless you got high-rollers who are foolish with their money,
    it doesn't seem like it'll be worth the headache, to calculate a cut for you

GOIRISH
    GOIRISH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1128

If you have the bankroll to back it, go for it. If not or it would cause a financial hardship then dont.

And this thread shouldnt have any violations. At least one fukk a month comes on saying he booked a buddies monster bet that was sure to lose and it won and now cant afford to pay.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Do it. However, be smart about it.

Maybe set up a parlay card of props. 20 props on the card, $20 entry per card, with a payout structure that guarantees you a percentage of the total take. About the same amount of work for you and you protect yourself from any loss, but it's still fun for the casual fan. Maybe make a couple of the selections 2nd half only so it'll keep everyone in the game for the duration.

AstroTexAg

I've been looking at the prop bets and can eliminate some of the longshots (+500 and up) and not have to worry about paying out big money. I can also make the maximum play $10-$20 on those bets.

The parlay card is a good idea but they probably wouldn't go for it if they knew I get paid no matter what happens.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

I've been looking at the prop bets and can eliminate some of the longshots (+500 and up) and not have to worry about paying out big money. I can also make the maximum play $10-$20 on those bets.

The parlay card is a good idea but they probably wouldn't go for it if they knew I get paid no matter what happens.
    Regardless of the structure, the house deserves to get paid. Under no circumstances should you not be taking your 10% if you're going to go to the trouble of setting it up.

TMoney33
    Sanchez Blows It: YES -2000
    TMoney33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 492

This is different from your situation, but I think the moral applies:

I set lines and booked bets on the winner of our fantasy football league this year. I had the best of it guaranteeing that if I got action on all legs I would profit. Unfortunately, I got slammed with action on one team. I kept adjusting that team down, and adjusting the other teams up, but couldn't get anywhere near enough offsetting action. Needless to say I took a pretty hard hit on something I thought was guaranteed profit.

BigDeem5
    2013-2016 NBA: 461-378-24 +52.65u
    BigDeem5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2158

Fukking do it, offer -120 both sides. fuk em good

AstroTexAg

Quote Originally Posted by BigDeem5 View Post
    Fukking do it, offer -120 both sides. fuk em good
    I like it! If they want better odds they can find it somewhere else or hop their a$$es on a flight to Vegas.

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

i would do it but take offer -115 on the bets, get ur 15 cent juice, and if you really wanted to get technical you could adjust the lines as people bet so as to cover yourself and entice people to take longshots

luckythirteen
    luckythirteen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

i used to always deal blackjack in the dorms in college........5-6 decks also......however, i took a boatload of the ten value cards out without telling them so i hardly would ever bust

Azzurri
    Azzurri's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 178

you wont lose unless you don't know what you are doing or everyone plays same thing and it wins. The juice on props is insane and why the books love them...but be careful as it seems you may not know much about booking.. just put the line of game out ansd total and a few of the simple props like heads or tails etc

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9194

Quote Originally Posted by Azzurri View Post
    you wont lose unless you don't know what you are doing or everyone plays same thing and it wins. The juice on props is insane and why the books love them...but be careful as it seems you may not know much about booking.. just put the line of game out ansd total and a few of the simple props like heads or tails etc
    What do you think is going to happen at a party if one dude gets loud about his opinion one prop will win?

AstroTexAg

I appreciate all the advice. I'm not offering bets with huge lines. I can't adjust them as I go but I can set them in my favor and take bets off the board if one side gets a lot of action. If the action is higher than my liking I can just place it on my online account, though I hope it doesn't come to that.

I'll definitely post the results right here.
    Last edited by AstroTexAg; 01-28-13 at 01:05 PM.

TMoney33
    Sanchez Blows It: YES -2000
    TMoney33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 492

So how did you make out Tex?