1. #1
    Bread
    Living corpse
    Bread's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-16-08
    Posts: 23,735
    Betpoints: 36

    If Favre unretires in the woods, does anyone care?

    http://www.sportsbookreview.com/Betting+Arti...him-again.aspx

    With the SBR Bash right around the corner, I’m having a bit of trouble concentrating on a topic to write about today. The excitement of Vegas, free drinks and meeting up with fellow degenerate nut jobs has left me undecided this evening. Ah wait that’s it - undecided! I’ll write about the most confused, undecided boy who has ever cried wolf in the history of sports – Brett Favre!

    Wasn’t it just a few months ago that flip-flopping Favre guaranteed us that he would never play in the NFL again? Or maybe it was weeks. Or even days. I can’t keep up any longer.

    At this point I have to wonder if he’s mentally stable. Is this the tenth time that he has retired and unretired? He could end up in the funny farm with DMX in five years and I wouldn’t be even remotely shocked. Favre used to be the ultimate man’s man. He made being a redneck cool again. He was the sort of fella that you’d want to toss the rock around with, join for some icy cold ones, and not even be overly offended if he slept with your wife. You could invite the rugged icon over to help you put up a fence, even though he’d just end up straddling it. Now most of his old admirers categorize him in the same genus of tools as Ryan Leaf. What a sad revelation.

    So now Favre is a Viking. I was going to insert a joke about his purple helmet here, but I suppose it’s past time that I actually start discussing the actual football wagering ramifications of this signing.


    The Minnesota Vicodins





    Although he will turn 40 this season, the saddest of facts for Minnesota is that he is still a step up in quarterback talent from what they had before him. I have always tried to catch any game with Tarvaris Jackson involved for pure fading/comedy value. If you’ve ever been benched in your career for Gus Frerotte, it might be time to get a real job like the rest of us.

    Then there is Sage Rosenfels. Sage was the key player in one of my most devastating games ever last year, an early season Houston loss to Indianapolis. Rosenfels got the start due to a Matt Schaub injury. With his team getting three, and up by 17 with four minutes remaining in the game, I was counting my winnings. That’s when Rosenfels went on a one-man fumblerama, not only giving the Colts the victory, but the cover as well. My skin gets clammy even thinking about that guy.

    So the good news for Viking’s fans is that Favre is an upgrade. The books pulled down Minnesota’s Future totals on Tuesday to make some adjustments to reflect the signing. It sounds like their odds to win the Super Bowl could drop from +1800 to +1200 at many shops. Their season win totals could be raised from 9 to 9.5 or 10. Quite frankly, I thought the total was way to high to begin with, and even if Favre can bring his team a victory or two more, I still believe that the Under would be a safe play.

    Of course the prospect of teaming Favre with high-impact players like Adrian Peterson and Bernard Berrian sounds enticing, but how long until the aging quarterback gets injured? And if by chance he does manage to play all year, surely nobody has forgotten the way that he fizzled at the end of last season, snatching a playoff bid from the hearts of Jet’s fans everywhere. New York finished the year in a 1-4 rut, coinciding with Favre’s 2 TD, 9 INT closing performance. Like there was ever any doubt.


    No more of this…for now





    I remember another trip to Vegas in late 2005. My biggest Sunday play was the Bears at home giving 6.5 points to Green Bay. Fast forward to late in the 4th quarter and Chicago had only managed to score four field goals, but was holding onto a 12-7 lead. The Packers had possession deep in the 4th quarter and were looking to hurry down the field for the winning touchdown.

    That’s when a sudden calmness took me over. Even four years ago, watching a frantic Favre forcing the ball into receivers provided me with an eerie confidence. And wouldn’t you know it, a poorly thrown slant was picked off by my new best friend, Nathan Vasher, for a 45 yd interception return for a TD. Brett Favre hasn’t scared me for quite some time now.

    Hopefully Minnesota makes tons of money from jersey sales, because that’s about the most serious impact this signing will probably have. And if the king of wishy-washy has retired again by the time that you read this, I apologize for wasting your time.
    Last edited by Willie Bee; 08-19-09 at 09:16 AM. Reason: add front page link
    Points Awarded:

    head_strong gave Bread 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

    spurginobili gave Bread 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.


  2. #2
    head_strong
    head_strong's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-02-08
    Posts: 4,317
    Betpoints: 360

    .....just give me all your points and shut your fking mouth.
    Points Awarded:

    Bread gave head_strong 46 SBR Point(s) for this post.


  3. #3
    jjgold
    Update your status
    jjgold's Avatar MLB Moderator
    Join Date: 07-20-05
    Posts: 289,400
    Betpoints: 3389

    Facts about Favre

    He is a drunk
    He cannot get a tv job because he is not that smart with zero personality
    He does know how to throw a football

    SBR
    Sharp
    Bettor

    $$$$$

    Bald
    & Proud
    of Myself -jjgold

    SBR Founder Join Date: 7/20/2005


  4. #4
    Bread
    Living corpse
    Bread's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-16-08
    Posts: 23,735
    Betpoints: 36

    Quote Originally Posted by head_strong View Post
    .....just give me all your points and shut your fking mouth.

    Appreciate your kind words

  5. #5
    head_strong
    head_strong's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-02-08
    Posts: 4,317
    Betpoints: 360

    Quote Originally Posted by Bread View Post
    Appreciate your kind words
    that was awesome.....

  6. #6
    ijustwant2bpaid
    ijustwant2bpaid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-11-08
    Posts: 3,706

    Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Facts about Favre

    He is a drunk
    He cannot get a tv job because he is not that smart with zero personality
    He does know how to throw a football

    he beat an opiate addiction as well.. guys rock solid..

  7. #7
    fsugolf
    fsugolf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-17-09
    Posts: 6,194
    Betpoints: 18

    nice article

  8. #8
    head_strong
    head_strong's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-02-08
    Posts: 4,317
    Betpoints: 360

    Gave you back a point so you can reward the next person that calls you a 8===D face.....

  9. #9
    The General
    The General's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-10-05
    Posts: 9,616
    Betpoints: 30

    I like Favre. Let's hope his decision making on the field this season is better and more accurate than his decision making about career status in the NFL. Vikings are a well balanced team and Favre can help them to a super bowl only to be beaten by the Patriots though.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/10/2005


  10. #10
    durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-03-06
    Posts: 13,182

    i don't really see the difference between him and rosenfelds or whatever his name is

  11. #11
    durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-03-06
    Posts: 13,182

    oh yea, bread, thanks for reminding me about that houston loss

    i really needed to think about that again

  12. #12
    DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-07-08
    Posts: 9,694

    Good post.

    JJ, Favre doesn't drink, though the rest of your post is accurate.

  13. #13
    fsugolf
    fsugolf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-17-09
    Posts: 6,194
    Betpoints: 18

    Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    Vikings are a well balanced team and Favre can help them to a super bowl only to be beaten by the Patriots though.

    come on

  14. #14
    Bread
    Living corpse
    Bread's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-16-08
    Posts: 23,735
    Betpoints: 36

    Genny you crazy.

    Durito that game still aches me to my very core.

    It hurt equally as bad the huge $$ I lost as well as all the shit I was talking to Lou that entire game

  15. #15
    BobHarvey
    951
    BobHarvey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-08-08
    Posts: 3,987
    Betpoints: 128

    Good job Bread. Thanks for stealing my blog idea!!! Seriously though nice write up.


  16. #16
    The General
    The General's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-10-05
    Posts: 9,616
    Betpoints: 30

    Very solid potential offense and an already Very good defensive line. If the team wins the trenches battles, they will win conf and in playoffs. Injuries will play a role as with Every team.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/10/2005


  17. #17
    CaneDawg
    CaneDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-25-08
    Posts: 6,256

    the networks care

    brett equals ratings

  18. #18
    Bread
    Living corpse
    Bread's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-16-08
    Posts: 23,735
    Betpoints: 36

    Bob Harvey you know that Bread loves you.

    Genny...if MN makes and wins one game in the playoffs, I will leave SBR forever.

    Love,
    Herman

  19. #19
    The General
    The General's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-10-05
    Posts: 9,616
    Betpoints: 30

    Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Facts about Favre

    He is a drunk
    He cannot get a tv job because he is not that smart with zero personality
    He does know how to throw a football
    Adrian Peterson should reduce the number of throws needed for the vikings. Excellent Running game plus tough defensive line play (a given for this team) equals success in NFL.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/10/2005


  20. #20
    The General
    The General's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-10-05
    Posts: 9,616
    Betpoints: 30

    Favre is a proven winner. He was great or Jets, minus last few games for whatever reason.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/10/2005


  21. #21
    lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-09
    Posts: 68,878
    Betpoints: 327

    I hope favre gets injured in his first game and is out for the season and then goes to jail for drinking and driving and we never hear of this piece of shit ever again. Bread good article though

    SBR
    Sharp
    Bettor

    $$$$$


  22. #22
    pavyracer
    What?
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-12-07
    Posts: 60,645
    Betpoints: 173

    I may be the first person in history to wish an NFL quarterback to get hit and become a vegetable. This guy should be banned from the NFL for violating the NFL retiring/un-retiring abuse policy.

  23. #23
    Bread
    Living corpse
    Bread's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-16-08
    Posts: 23,735
    Betpoints: 36

    I think that Brett Favre should be banned from SBR. In case he ever signed up.

  24. #24
    DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-07-08
    Posts: 9,694

    Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    Favre is a proven winner. He was great or Jets, minus last few games for whatever reason.
    The reason was that Favre's aging body can no longer handle the elements of winter. I'm sure the fact that the Vikings only have one cold weather game the last couple months of the season was a big factor in his return.

  25. #25
    BobHarvey
    951
    BobHarvey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-08-08
    Posts: 3,987
    Betpoints: 128

    When Brett retires for good in five years, would he be good mod material?

  26. #26
    Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-21-05
    Posts: 9,288

    Haha that Rosenfels choke game ended up being a $2200 middle for me.

    Remembering it puts me in such a good mood that I am willing to humor Favre once again.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 7/21/2005


  27. #27
    spurginobili
    Llano Estacado
    spurginobili's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 05-09-09
    Posts: 2,515

    Awsome Bread; I would nominate this if I knew how.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 07/16/2018

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/15/2018


  28. #28
    jellobiafra
    jellobiafra's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-08-09
    Posts: 6,291
    Betpoints: 233

    "The Minnesota Vicodins"


    Well played sir!

  29. #29
    Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough
    Killer_Demo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-15-08
    Posts: 8,415
    Betpoints: 4201

    favre is one of the most selfish players in the NFL...put the pads up brett your grays are getting more prominent by the year

  30. #30
    MonkeyF0cker
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-12-07
    Posts: 12,125
    Betpoints: 907

    Am I the only one that thinks his signing makes the Vikings serious contenders?

  31. #31
    The General
    The General's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-10-05
    Posts: 9,616
    Betpoints: 30

    Quote Originally Posted by Bread View Post
    Bob Harvey you know that Bread loves you.

    Genny...if MN makes and wins one game in the playoffs, I will leave SBR forever.

    Love,
    Herman
    Prepare your departure speech, Sir Herman. LOL.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/10/2005


  32. #32
    jellobiafra
    jellobiafra's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-08-09
    Posts: 6,291
    Betpoints: 233

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyF0cker View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks his signing makes the Vikings serious contenders?
    No. Not at all. This is a stacked team. The only thing that gives me serious pause is Favre's history playing in dome stadiums. He has seriously struggled under a roof. That's one more thing that makes this whole story incredibly intriguing, imo.

  33. #33
    The General
    The General's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-10-05
    Posts: 9,616
    Betpoints: 30

    Quote Originally Posted by jellobiafra View Post
    "The Minnesota Vicodins"


    Well played sir!
    If an addiction problem such as he had was a real bad thing, then many people would NEVER have a second chance.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/10/2005


  34. #34
    The General
    The General's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-10-05
    Posts: 9,616
    Betpoints: 30

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyF0cker View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks his signing makes the Vikings serious contenders?
    Best team in the NFL 2nd to New England if Tom Brady stays healthy.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/10/2005


  35. #35
    jellobiafra
    jellobiafra's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-08-09
    Posts: 6,291
    Betpoints: 233

    Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    If an addiction problem such as he had was a real bad thing, then many people would NEVER have a second chance.
    Myself included Genny. I'm not sure what your point is. I just thought it was a pretty clever play on words by Bread. It was original and clever, imo. And as usual with Bread....it made me giggle.

12 Last
Top