1. #36
    no1here
    no1here's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 03-23-09
    Posts: 5,916
    Betpoints: 331

    Think in probabilities not possibilities
    NEVER DEPOSIT

  2. #37
    tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-31-10
    Posts: 22,659
    Betpoints: 122

    Go all in

    Pound pound!

  3. #38
    jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-13-10
    Posts: 6,074
    Betpoints: 2857

    Fade yourself using labby lines.

  4. #39
    Ballerholic
    Ballerholic's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-16-13
    Posts: 2,767
    Betpoints: 1572

    Thanks Guys, learned a lot here. I'll try to be as controlled as possible and learn money management. AT LEAST I HOPE SO

  5. #40
    seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-08-06
    Posts: 22,559
    Betpoints: 9144

    Quote Originally Posted by Ballerholic View Post
    Hey, Im just starting to begin gambling for the first time, but strictly as a hobby (at least I hope so). So what is the best advice you have, advice you wish you knew starting out in this crazy gambling world?

    Thanks in advance
    How much have you lost ballerholic?

  6. #41
    samgurt
    samgurt's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 05-31-10
    Posts: 2,980
    Betpoints: 60

    Track your plays for at least 1 year before actually betting $

    Find out what you are good at and stay away from what you are bad at

  7. #42
    tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-02-12
    Posts: 9,078

    Quote Originally Posted by samgurt View Post
    Track your plays for at least 1 year before actually betting $

    Find out what you are good at and stay away from what you are bad at
    Great advice, but c'mon. I could barely do that for a week when I tried, a YEAR devoted to gambling in which you don't bet? Shoot me.

  8. #43
    samgurt
    samgurt's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 05-31-10
    Posts: 2,980
    Betpoints: 60

    Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    Great advice, but c'mon. I could barely do that for a week when I tried, a YEAR devoted to gambling in which you don't bet? Shoot me.
    Gives you 1 full season of each sport...just saying, it would be ideal.

    Most people can't wait a full year though

  9. #44
    tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-02-12
    Posts: 9,078

    Quote Originally Posted by samgurt View Post
    Gives you 1 full season of each sport...just saying, it would be ideal.

    Most people can't wait a full year though
    Agreed.

  10. #45
    GP
    GP's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-03-12
    Posts: 890
    Betpoints: 95

    some good advice already posted.
    i would add you should have at least 2 books so you can line shop and get the best number.

  11. #46
    Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-09-09
    Posts: 30,178

    Quote Originally Posted by pokernut9999 View Post
    Best advice is to never start , very few can make it a hobby.
    the only advice necessary.

  12. #47
    pologq
    Make SBR Betpoints Matter Again
    pologq's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 10-07-12
    Posts: 17,646
    Betpoints: 2636

    you will never be able to watch sports the same way again. it will be hard to enjoy a game without action on it.

    my advice since you are starting - bet all games evenly, don't bet what you think is a "lock" more than other games, because you will fall behind faster than you think. as mentioned, do not chase losses. bet consistently with the same amount over and over based on your budget.

  13. #48
    fitguy67
    blessed be the cheesemakers
    fitguy67's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-13-11
    Posts: 5,091
    Betpoints: 157

    Quote Originally Posted by High3rEl3m3nt View Post
    My advice...stick to NHL and MLB. Bet home dogs, occasional big dogs, and don't back more than small favs. Avoid totals for right now.
    solid
    Last edited by fitguy67; 01-28-13 at 01:43 AM.

  14. #49
    paw
    paw's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-03-09
    Posts: 445

    To start.

    Find 1 sport and within that sport find 1 conference and within that find 6-12 teams and study them and only play that for the entire season and then move on and follow the same protocol and YOU WILL MAKE $$$$$

    Anything else, is like scuba diving in the ocean at night with No Lights.

    Paw

  15. #50
    floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-19-08
    Posts: 2,756
    Betpoints: 12327

    Never, never, but NEVER break the cardinal rule, which is: Do not risk anything that you cannot afford to lose.

  16. #51
    fitguy67
    blessed be the cheesemakers
    fitguy67's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-13-11
    Posts: 5,091
    Betpoints: 157

    Quote Originally Posted by GunShard View Post
    I been gambling since 2009, my personal rules on sports gambling:

    1. Money management. Bet less than 5% of your total current bankroll per bet. Be discipline.
    2. Be a strategic gambler by picking your spots and wait for the right opportunity. Never be a compulsive gambler by betting because it's your favorite team or for the action.
    3. Stay emotionless all the time. Bet like a robot. There's no place for emotions in this profession. Be unbiased.
    4. Do your research by watching game footage, use trends and statistics on division rivals only.
    5. Never bet on heavily juiced/vig lines. Like a line at -1000 for example.
    6. Never bet on heavily valued lines. Like a terrible team at 100 to 1 odds to win championship.
    7. Parlays should be no longer than 2 teams, the bigger the parlay is, the bigger the House Edge. Research and Secure your first pick before moving on to your second pick.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89HtJmQgjww
    8. Teasers should never pass through the zero.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP3P9OJvukQ
    9. Teams with home field/court advantage tend to win games. Sportsbooks know this and favorites the home team.
    "Whoever is first in the field and awaits the coming of the enemy, will be fresh for the fight;
    whoever is second in the field and has to hasten to battle will arrive exhausted." -Sun Tzu, the Art of War
    10. Never bet on double digit road favorites. You will lose in the long run.
    11. Never bet on preseason games on any sport. Predicting a 2nd string and 3rd string team is stupid because of the lack of game footage on mostly unknown players.
    12. If you are extremely compulsive, arrogant, drunk and biased. The best advice is to "Don't Gamble".
    13. Learn from your mistakes. Most gamblers don't learn from their mistakes. That's why I made these gambling rules.
    Excellent.

    I can see how getting in the habit of mindfully reviewing these each and every time you're tempted to "pull the trigger"...would keep $ in your pocket...much as a good pilot's "take-off" checklist prevents many would-be disastrous flights from occurring.

  17. #52
    boondoggle
    99.82% of forum posters are idiots
    boondoggle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-29-10
    Posts: 3,014
    Betpoints: 60

    Quote Originally Posted by Ballerholic View Post
    Hey, Im just starting to begin gambling for the first time, but strictly as a hobby (at least I hope so). So what is the best advice you have, advice you wish you knew starting out in this crazy gambling world?

    Thanks in advance
    Don't start.

  18. #53
    SportsPedagogy
    SportsPedagogy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-13-11
    Posts: 3,691
    Betpoints: 42

    If it seems to good to be true, it is.
    This is especially true when a road favorite is given the slight edge, and you think they should be bigger favs.

    Case in point, The Thunder losing to the Lakers on the road yesterday.

  19. #54
    GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-05-10
    Posts: 9,732
    Betpoints: 18

    Quote Originally Posted by fitguy67 View Post
    Excellent.

    I can see how getting in the habit of mindfully reviewing these each and every time you're tempted to "pull the trigger"...would keep $ in your pocket...much as a good pilot's "take-off" checklist prevents many would-be disastrous flights from occurring.
    Yep, anyone new to gambling should look at rules like these.
    It's easy to go broke fast when a gambler is addicted to the actions.

  20. #55
    firedawg
    firedawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-08-08
    Posts: 39,196
    Betpoints: 694

    best advise.... dont gamble

  21. #56
    fitguy67
    blessed be the cheesemakers
    fitguy67's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-13-11
    Posts: 5,091
    Betpoints: 157

    Quote Originally Posted by firedawg View Post
    best advise.... dont gamble

    That's the 5th or 6th time this (very good) advice has been offered.

    Problem is, it has all the "do as i say, not as I do" moral-authority of a father telling his son not to have children.

  22. #57
    GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-05-10
    Posts: 9,732
    Betpoints: 18

    Quote Originally Posted by GunShard View Post
    I been gambling since 2009, my personal rules on sports gambling:

    1. Money management. Bet less than 5% of your total current bankroll per bet. Be discipline.
    2. Be a strategic gambler by picking your spots and wait for the right opportunity. Never be a compulsive gambler by betting because it's your favorite team or for the action.
    3. Stay emotionless all the time. Bet like a robot. There's no place for emotions in this profession. Be unbiased.
    4. Do your research by watching game footage, use trends and statistics on division rivals only.
    5. Never bet on heavily juiced/vig lines. Like a line at -1000 for example.
    6. Never bet on heavily valued lines. Like a terrible team at 100 to 1 odds to win championship.
    7. Parlays should be no longer than 2 teams, the bigger the parlay is, the bigger the House Edge. Research and Secure your first pick before moving on to your second pick.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89HtJmQgjww
    8. Teasers should never pass through the zero.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP3P9OJvukQ
    9. Teams with home field/court advantage tend to win games. Sportsbooks know this and favorites the home team.
    "Whoever is first in the field and awaits the coming of the enemy, will be fresh for the fight;
    whoever is second in the field and has to hasten to battle will arrive exhausted." -Sun Tzu, the Art of War
    10. Never bet on double digit road favorites. You will lose in the long run.
    11. Never bet on preseason games on any sport. Predicting a 2nd string and 3rd string team is stupid because of the lack of game footage on mostly unknown players.
    12. If you are extremely compulsive, arrogant, drunk and biased. The best advice is to "Don't Gamble".
    13. Learn from your mistakes. Most gamblers don't learn from their mistakes. That's why I made these gambling rules.
    This is critical right now.

    The public always loses on the Super Bowl.

    The veteran Ravens will defeat the rookie 49ers.

First 12
Top