dontknowhowtobet
    dontknowhowtobet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 960

Sloane Stephens vs Serena Williams - Who says Serena is going to win?!

Okay, I usually like to back low odds (1.02 etc) but this time I am looking at Stephens as the one to back in this match. Yes, I know who Serena Williams is, but here are a few facts in regards to this match:

1) Sloane Stephens played for the last time yestersay, against Bojana Jovanovski, she has a rest from that match until tonight around Midnight (I'm talking Europe time).

2) Serena Williams had an easy match yesterday against Kirilenko, however, on top of that, she had a LONG match today, in doubles, with her sister, against Errani & Vinci, and the Williams sisters have lost this match, and it was a VERY LONG one!

Serena doesn't have a lot of time to rest from that doubles match, because already tonight she would face Stephens. Yes, I know she is fit and everything, but you gotta take that into consideration.

3) Most importantly, have you read this?

http://sports.ndtv.com/australian-op...-doubles-event

Yes, it's not something big, but it is something ... especially when some bookies allow you to win the bet if 1 set is completed (and doesn't matter who wins it).

Anyway,

The bookies in my opinion are trying to scare people from betting on Stephens, who is coming with an attitude as if she has nothing to lose (she said it to the Eurosport channel), and yes, I am fully aware the two have just met a few weeks ago in Brisbane and Serena won in 2 sets (6-4 , 6-3) but taking the fitness into consideration, Serena's ankle, and the fact Stephens has full potential to surprise her opponent ... I definitely cannot see why these odds on Serena are so low.

Yes, the match could end like Sharapova's match today against Makarova or Serena's match against Kirilenko, but Stephens by no means is someone to undervalue here!

My bet: Small stakes on Stephens to beat Serena Williams

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

waste of money... sorry

ignore the doubles... too many of us have tried to use that angle in the past and she's smoked our money every time

Sloane is not beating Serena in this match. No way.

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

is Shari declaring a

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    is Shari declaring a
    barring someone pulling a Seles on Serena then yes I am I guess

I love Sloane and think her and Raonic will be the king and queen of tennis in 10yrs time ... but if anyone has watched Serena play her singles matches, especially the one against Kiri who is much more experienced than Sloane, then this wouldn't even be a discussion. She might win a few games, and maybe even a set (which I highly doubt). But she is not winning this match. Only one person has a hope of beating Serena... maybe... and it ain't Sloane Stephens.

Sport_Fish
    Sport_Fish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2039

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    barring someone pulling a Seles on Serena then yes I am I guess

I love Sloane and think her and Raonic will be the king and queen of tennis in 10yrs time ... but if anyone has watched Serena play her singles matches, especially the one against Kiri who is much more experienced than Sloane, then this wouldn't even be a discussion. No hope.

But as for Stephens, don't look too much into the doubles match. Serena has played in many Slams where she had to go through both the double and singles draw and did just fine. And double matches do not take much of a toll on your body - not too much movement there.

I think she'll be just fine.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by Sport_Fish View Post

But as for Stephens, don't look too much into the doubles match. Serena has played in many Slams where she had to go through both the double and singles draw and did just fine. And double matches do not take much of a toll on your body - not too much movement there.

I think she'll be just fine.
    Sooooooo rude lol!!! He'll be a legend (not A legend, just a legend) if he gets his net game sorted. I think he will. Everyone from players to coaches to former players and trainers say he's the hardest working and smartest guy on Tour. I have faith in him. And her. But it's not happening for her today. No.

Djoking
    Djoking's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 595

Serena win everywhere against any opponent because its man with steroids and has serve of man

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9183

Not sure why the o17 is fave either. No one but Sharapova has a chance to take 6 games off her imho.

dontknowhowtobet

waste of money... sorry

ignore the doubles... too many of us have tried to use that angle in the past and she's smoked our money every time

Sloane is not beating Serena in this match. No way.
    I have to leave now, and I totally agree with you, but it's sports and surprises happen in sports.
    No one believes in Stephens and so far most of these 1.02 odds have not failed except for Del Potro who failed against Chardy, which was a big surprise. (I wonder what were the odds on him after Del Potro took the 2nd set?)

I know doubles don't make the player move much and Serena is fit and everything.
    I don't disagree with you on that.

I am just saying most players are scared of Serena and that is why Kirilenko lost so easily (and I placed £1000 on Serena to grab £50 in that match, I love these little odds, trust me) .... but Stephens has nothing to lose, she comes with 200% concentration ... I don't understand why she is so undervalued here, it doesn't make sense.

The odds should be 1.15 on Serena and 5.00 on Stephens ... since the odds are much higher on Stephens I am allowing myself to risk a small amount here, not a big chunk but a small amount would be fine.

I will be back in a few hours. Cheers.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Not sure why the o17 is fave either. No one but Sharapova has a chance to take 6 games off her imho.
    It's because of the Brissie match. People don't understand the concept of building up and trying to peak. But anyone who follows tennis knows to disregard that shiat. If we banked on it then quite a few of the finalists and winners of the lead up tournies should be here: Hewitt, Delpo, Tomic, Aggie, Vesnina, Kerber, Barthel, Wicky. Only 2 left are Serena and Djoko. The rest of those didn't even make the QF's other than Aggie.

Seto
    Jose Mourinho: simply the best
    Seto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2560

I wouldn't take Stephens +1000000 (ok, maybe I would but you get my point). She doesn't have the game at this stage in her career to beat SWilliams. U can't beat her by just sending balls back in a la Wozniacki. Granted she's a bit more powerful than Wozniacki, but still not a good offensive player yet in my books.

Seto
    Jose Mourinho: simply the best
    Seto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2560

Actually wanted to take Serena spread but was hoping for 6.5. I can't be in a position where 6-3 6-2 is a loss.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by dontknowhowtobet View Post
    I have to leave now, and I totally agree with you, but it's sports and surprises happen in sports.
    No one believes in Stephens and so far most of these 1.02 odds have not failed except for Del Potro who failed against Chardy, which was a big surprise. (I wonder what were the odds on him after Del Potro took the 2nd set?)

I know doubles don't make the player move much and Serena is fit and everything.
    I don't disagree with you on that.

I am just saying most players are scared of Serena and that is why Kirilenko lost so easily (and I placed £1000 on Serena to grab £50 in that match, I love these little odds, trust me) .... but Stephens has nothing to lose, she comes with 200% concentration ... I don't understand why she is so undervalued here, it doesn't make sense.

The odds should be 1.15 on Serena and 5.00 on Stephens ... since the odds are much higher on Stephens I am allowing myself to risk a small amount here, not a big chunk but a small amount would be fine.

I will be back in a few hours. Cheers.
    Personally just from being the staff member who sees most of your posts, I'd think you'd be better off wagering to win $10 on Serena than wasting anything on Sloane. But you're right... shit happens. But it's not going to happen in this one particular match barring a massive injury = retirement or some fluke event. Not yet for Sloane. GL though!

Sport_Fish

Sooooooo rude lol!!! He'll be a legend (not A legend, just a legend) if he gets his net game sorted. I think he will. Everyone from players to coaches to former players and trainers say he's the hardest working and smartest guy on Tour. I have faith in him. And her. But it's not happening for her today. No.
    Well depends what you consider a legend/king. If you think he will be like Isner, then I wouldn't call that a legend.

I personally strongly disagree with his future - He has so many weaknesses that he will inevitably get better just by playing. And I think his career will be close to what it is now - a few titles here and there (no GS, maybe a couple masters), lurking in the top 20, and possibly down the road when a couple of top 10 retire, he may be able to crack his way in.

Good luck though, we both have our predictions, and although I don't see it, I do hope I'm wrong in this one cuz I'm Canadian as well

shari91

Well depends what you consider a legend/king. If you think he will be like Isner, then I wouldn't call that a legend.

I personally strongly disagree with his future - He has so many weaknesses that he will inevitably get better just by playing. And I think his career will be close to what it is now - a few titles here and there (no GS, maybe a couple masters), lurking in the top 20, and possibly down the road when a couple of top 10 retire, he may be able to crack his way in.

Good luck though, we both have our predictions, and although I don't see it, I do hope I'm wrong in this one cuz I'm Canadian as well
    I think he's going to be like Ferrer. That's how I've always seen him other than his one diva episode last year. Ferrer to me is a legend...like Schiavone. Someone you know will keep trying, will fight, great physicality and just won't puss out. Even when Milos was obviously beat the other night against Fed he didn't play dead, didn't make excuses or pull dramatic shit. He still kept going out there, serving up his aces, trying to rally and trying to fight against the GOAT. Ferrer deals with his height as a handicap and for the moment Raonic is dealing with his net game. Ferrer can't correct his situation obviously but he's figured out how to work around it. Raonic can... so it's a matter of how much more work he's willing to do. Hand on Bible... at this event I was at on Sat before going out to watch matches around brunch time, quite a few people were talking about Raonic and were going to ditch their prime seats in RL to go watch him instead. And some of these people are hardcore gamblers but many more are actually involved with one of the Tours. I don't see anyone coming up behind him as in 30-50 ranking but you never know. At least we finally have someone to bloody cheer for though, no?! xo

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

458 S.Stephens Games Won +6.5 +140

Ms. Degen
    Ms. Degen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

take the +7 games, and youll be fine

playersonly69
    playersonly69's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 142

Serena may not lose ALL YEAR LONG!!!!

Serena will be -250 versus Sharapova

Sport_Fish

I think he's going to be like Ferrer. That's how I've always seen him other than his one diva episode last year. Ferrer to me is a legend...like Schiavone. Someone you know will keep trying, will fight, great physicality and just won't puss out. Even when Milos was obviously beat the other night against Fed he didn't play dead, didn't make excuses or pull dramatic shit. He still kept going out there, serving up his aces, trying to rally and trying to fight against the GOAT. Ferrer deals with his height as a handicap and for the moment Raonic is dealing with his net game. Ferrer can't correct his situation obviously but he's figured out how to work around it. Raonic can... so it's a matter of how much more work he's willing to do. Hand on Bible... at this event I was at on Sat before going out to watch matches around brunch time, quite a few people were talking about Raonic and were going to ditch their prime seats in RL to go watch him instead. And some of these people are hardcore gamblers but many more are actually involved with one of the Tours. I don't see anyone coming up behind him as in 30-50 ranking but you never know. At least we finally have someone to bloody cheer for though, no?! xo
    Like Ferrer? Bold prediction there =)

I think Raonic has talent but will be limited due to his mental weakness - I know he's still young but he shows traces of the 'nutcase' player, which is common for a big server. I don't think he will ever be a warrior like Ferrer.

And I'm from Toronto so I hate the fact that we have yet another 'hope' that we can cheer for lol. This city/country is doomed as far as sports goes.

shari91

Like Ferrer? Bold prediction there =)

I think Raonic has talent but will be limited due to his mental weakness - I know he's still young but he shows traces of the 'nutcase' player, which is common for a big server. I don't think he will ever be a warrior like Ferrer.

And I'm from Toronto so I hate the fact that we have yet another 'hope' that we can cheer for lol. This city/country is doomed as far as sports goes.
    I think you're severely underestimating him. Look at Ferrer's journey...including the quitting the sport altogether, Mr. Carpenter, etc. The one thing I don't worry about with Milos is mental strength... right now it's his ability to rally and play at the net. I'm quite surprised our reads are different but that's why I love tennis! I bet with Optional who'd have the higher ranking after x weeks Milos vs Tomic and I picked Raonic. Not sure what happened with that. But as Jim and Lleyton both said the kid came out flying from his surgery and he'll hit balls and practice well past everyone's gone to sleep or are out partying. He'll be a legend. My prediction.
    Last edited by shari91; 01-22-13 at 01:36 PM.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by playersonly69 View Post
    Only way Serena doesn't lose this year is if she gets injured again or retires.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Since Sloane took seven in their first meeting, there was no way it was going to be 16 or less. I actually think Serena's style will jive more into Sloane playing a more even match. Sloan fukked herself in the Jovanovski match after the 1st set by switching her style to where she was letting Jovanovski dictate the pace. Sloane was expecting Jovanovski to continue to make errors and when she didn't, Sloane didn't really get back to being aggressive. She was real fortunate to win that match. You have to factor in also that it's her first time being a step away from a Slam semi. That normally is tough mentally for a young player to cope with, especially against tennis royalty.

Shafted69
    Green Shoots 2021
    Shafted69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1693

doubles matches aren't that tiring. you're mostly defending half of your side of

the court & serving half as many times in a match as you would in singles.

take it from me. i play recreational doubles matches every week day.
    Last edited by Shafted69; 01-22-13 at 02:46 PM.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1818

Quote Originally Posted by playersonly69 View Post
    She will, she tanks in non-grand slams.

beefcake
    Update your status
    beefcake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 178

All this talk is a moot point because now that Li has Henins old coach, shes going to win this dam tourney.

dontknowhowtobet

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    She will, she tanks in non-grand slams.
    She lost to Azarenka, hasn't she?
    Is Azarenka so much better than Sloane Stephens? I doubt it.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Azarenka is a lot better than Sloane Stephens. Are you kidding?

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Azarenka is a lot better than Sloane Stephens.
    Absolutely

dontknowhowtobet

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Azarenka is a lot better than Sloane Stephens. Are you kidding?
    I disagree!
    You guys understimate this girl so much, I have no idea why.

Stephens doesn't quit, she keeps on trying all the way. Yes, Serena is a big fav, no dispute of that, but I would never ever bet £10,000 on Serena to get £300 against Stephens .... I did bet £1000 on Serena against Kirilenko, and £1000 against Morita, this was easy money ... but I would never ever bet on this match, because you never know how this could end up.

zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

[QUOTE=playersonly69;17579080]Serena may not lose ALL YEAR LONG!!!!

Serena will be -250 versus Sharapova[/QUOTE]

-250? Sharapova has not beat Serena since 2004 Wimbledon and than Serena has absolutely destroyed her ever since. try around -600 or -700. if they both get there.

Untied
    Untied's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Hope I can get Serena better than -500 against Sharapova. I'd be all over it.
    Nothing more enjoyable than watching Serena make Maria cry on center court.

Untied
    Untied's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Raonic will be limited by his athleticism. He needs to get in better shape to compete at the slams.

Tmuston Beltics
    Tmuston Beltics's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Quote Originally Posted by Untied View Post
    Hope I can get Serena better than -500 against Sharapova. I'd be all over it.
    Nothing more enjoyable than watching Serena make Maria cry on center court.

Yes but mainly because she does fake grunting which is fking annoying..

delpiero7
    delpiero7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1720

Quote Originally Posted by dontknowhowtobet View Post
    She lost to Azarenka, hasn't she?
    Is Azarenka so much better than Sloane Stephens? I doubt it.
    Is this for real??!

Azarenka, World number 1, Grand Slam champion, was also one game away from being a multiple GS champion is the US Open final last year against Serena.

Compared to Sloane Stephens, who is basically yet to establish herself in the top 20.

I really hope you were being sarcastic.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Sloane +7 for me @ Evens

1234 ... Last