TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

When will teams learn to leave little/no time on the clock with a go ahead score?

I don't know the exact strategy to be used, but there has to be a better option than scoring with plenty of time for the opposing team with timeouts to shred ur prevent defense for a game winning fg. Have seen this time after time.

SoonerC
    SoonerC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 946

You act like scoring is easy. Unless it's just a fg where you can control it if you can score you do. It's never a given.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerC View Post
    You act like scoring is easy. Unless it's just a fg where you can control it if you can score you do. It's never a given.
    You would think it is difficult, but history shows it isn't in this situation, especially with the prevent defense. They are basically letting them into fg range and hoping they miss it

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

Take a knee on first down and then run a play?

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    You would think it is difficult, but history shows it isn't in this situation, especially with the prevent defense. They are basically letting them into fg range and hoping they miss it
    I think he meant like running it then setting up to score with 10 seconds left and two plays. As in if SEA stalled as you suggested they should have.

Cinquefoil
    Cinquefoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 59

With 1st-and-goal from the 1 with 34 seconds and three timeouts, you'd like to think the Seahawks could've engineered that a little better to kill some time.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

if you need a td you take it

you cant be serious with this thread

maybe you missed where seattle blew scoring chances multiple times in the first half?

chance
    chance's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 833

I was on Atlanta so I was happy when the last TD was not over turned. Better chance of a FG with 30 seconds than stopping the opposition at the 1.

Easier to run time down when you are lining up a FG. A lot harder when you have to get a TD. That was the one time when a coach with Balls could have down a knee for a play.

OTL
    OTL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5277

It's amazing how a single stragetic coaching error can mean the difference between winning and losing. Seattle could have either run the clock down more on their last scoring drive, or not called the timeout as the ATL kicker missed his first FG attempt and went to the NFC championship. Same with John Fox and the Denver Broncos yesterday, although that game was a clusterfuck of coaching blunders.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

I actually thought Seattle did a good job of "trying" to do this.

The announcers kept saying, "why are the huddling under a minute"?

Why not? They had three timeouts and it was a do or die drive..

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

Thought Seattle did everything right in that drive. They were hurt by the TD fumble. If they ruled Lynch didn't cross, the ball would have come back to the 1 because only the fumbler can advance the ball under 2 minutes. That would have let them run another play.

Still, Carroll blew it with the TO. Never let a kicker get a free one.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9788

Falcons won game w/ 30 seconds left. Or, in another measurement, the same time Broncos took a knee on.

OTL
    OTL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5277

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    Falcons won game w/ 30 seconds left. Or, in another measurement, the same time Broncos took a knee on.
    I know right! @ John Fox!

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

Yeah when you need points, you can't waste a down, even if you are only a couple yards from the goal line. I just had a horrible feeling in my stomach after we scored and left that much time on the clock. Seattle has folded late in games to Miami and Detroit, and now again to Atlanta.

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

Quote Originally Posted by OTL View Post
    It's amazing how a single stragetic coaching error can mean the difference between winning and losing. Seattle could have either run the clock down more on their last scoring drive, or not called the timeout as the ATL kicker missed his first FG attempt and went to the NFC championship. Same with John Fox and the Denver Broncos yesterday, although that game was a clusterfuck of coaching blunders.
    It was first down. If the falcons miss that attempt, they kick again on second and third down.

Edit...Nevermind... That is actually not true contrary to what one of the commentators said in another game. It is only doable if the kick does not cross the line of Scrimmage and the offensive team recovers.
    Last edited by FindTheLock; 01-13-13 at 03:49 PM.

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

in all fairness, if they were in a situation where they could dictate exactly how much time they leave on the clock when they score a TD, odds are the game would be close enough for a FG to matter.

gryfyn1

Quote Originally Posted by FindTheLock View Post
    It was first down. If the falcons miss that attempt, they kick again on second and third down.
    um, no

FindTheLock

Quote Originally Posted by gryfyn1 View Post
    um, no
    since that is not true, I don't understand the falcons coach calling a time out with 13 seconds left in the game. He should have waited till there was only 1 second left to use his final time out. Both coaches made terrible decisions at the end.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy88 View Post
    Take a knee on first down and then run a play?
    Atlanta would call timeout if they did that, scoring TD's on the goalline is not easy you cant do that

tto827

since that is not true, I don't understand the falcons coach calling a time out with 13 seconds left in the game. He should have waited till there was only 1 second left to use his final time out. Both coaches made terrible decisions at the end.
    13 was too much yes. But you usually leave 7-10 for a bobbled snap or something so you can get another play if possible.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

well if there was a bad snap or a penalty they would still have time, no team has even come back after falling behind under 10 seconds in history

FindTheLock

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    13 was too much yes. But you usually leave 7-10 for a bobbled snap or something so you can get another play if possible.
    on a bobbled snap the clock would keep running, so the time would run off with no time outs remaining.

tto827

on a bobbled snap the clock would keep running, so the time would run off with no time outs remaining.
    Not if the snapper or kicker picks it up and throws a pass out of bounds in front of the line of scrimmage.

Ernie Mccracken
    Ernie Mccracken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4304

They tried. 30 seconds is still too much if you intend to play prevent. Plays take 5-6 seconds and you only need 3 or 4 to get in FG range.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    plagiarism

https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala/sta...71553136050176

tt is a bad person and he will be banned once and for all

FindTheLock

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    Not if the snapper or kicker picks it up and throws a pass out of bounds in front of the line of scrimmage.
    There is usually no time for that on a game winning FG attempt, with blockers rushing all out to block the kick. I still think it is smarter to call the time out with a few seconds left. I also do not agree with the onside kick in that situation. It would be better to just kick the ball out of bounds and let the other team take over at their own 35.

gryfyn1

Not sure the coach called that last time out, I think it reaction in that point for the QB to call a Time out asap in case untill he knows he's definitely close enough for the FG, if that play is another 10-15 yards closer im sure they know to let the time run down, but the FG was still a 50 yarder

FindTheLock

Quote Originally Posted by gryfyn1 View Post
    Not sure the coach called that last time out, I think it reaction in that point for the QB to call a Time out asap in case untill he knows he's definitely close enough for the FG, if that play is another 10-15 yards closer im sure they know to let the time run down, but the FG was still a 50 yarder
    I saw the coach call the time out on TV. He rushed over to the ref to call it.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    Atlanta would call timeout if they did that, scoring TD's on the goalline is not easy you cant do that
    That would be perfect for Seattle if they did that. Then ATL would use up their timeouts