stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32811

Browns hire Rob Chudzinski as new coach

Rob Chudzinski's first head coaching job will be with the team he loved as a kid.

Chudzinski, who spent the past two seasons as Carolina's offensive coordinator, has been hired by the Browns as their sixth full-time coach since 1999. It's the third stint in Cleveland for Chudzinski, who worked with the Browns previously as an assistant.

The Browns hope the first-time head coach can end years of despair and constant losing, and maybe resurrect a franchise that has made just one trip to the playoffs in the past 14 years.

The team confirmed Chudzinski's hiring with a release Thursday night and said he will be introduced at an 11 a.m. news conference at the team's facility in Berea on Friday.

Chudzinski will be the Browns' 14th coach in team history. He replaces Pat Shurmur, another first-time coach when he was hired, who was fired on Dec. 31 after a 5-11 season. For the past two years, the 44-year-old Chudzinski has worked with talented Panthers quarterback Cam Newton.

When owner Jimmy Haslam embarked on his coaching search last week, he pledged to bring back the "best person for Cleveland."

After meeting with at least seven other candidates, Haslam, who bought the Browns this summer, decided along with CEO Joe Banner that Chudzinski, was ready.

Known simply as "Chud," Chudzinski coached tight ends in Cleveland for Butch Davis in 2004, and then came back to the Browns in 2007 and was offensive coordinator for two seasons under Romeo Crennel.

Chudzinski, who was never embarrassed to acknowledge he rooted for the Browns while growing up in Toledo, Ohio, interviewed with the team on Wednesday. He was viewed by many as a longshot for the job, not because he wasn't qualified, but Haslam figured to make a big splash with his first coaching hire.

However, Chudzinski wowed Haslam and Banner during his meeting and the team decided it was time to end their search after nearly 10 days.

It's not yet known whom Chudzinski will bring in as his coordinators. There are reports he may hire former San Diego coach Norv Turner to run his offense.

In his first season in Carolina, Chudzinski turned Newton, the No. 1 overall draft pick, loose and the Panthers set club records for total yards (6,237) and first downs (345). Carolina also scored 48 touchdowns after getting just 17 in the season before Chudzinski arrived. The Panthers jumped from last in the league in total yardage to seventh, the biggest improvement since 1999.

Following the season, Chudzinski interviewed for head coaching jobs with St. Louis, Jacksonville and Tampa Bay before returning to Carolina.

Newton continued to develop in his second season with Chudzinski. The Browns could be counting on him to improve Brandon Weeden after his uneven rookie season.

After his first stint on Cleveland's staff, Chudzinski spent two seasons as San Diego's tight ends coach, working with perennial Pro Bowl standout Antonio Gates.

Taking over the Browns offense in 2007, Chudzinski helped the Browns win 10 games — the most since their expansion rebirth in 1999 — and had four players make the Pro Bowl.

However, in 2008, the Browns struggled on offense and a six-game losing streak led to a 4-12 finish and Crennel's firing. The Browns finished 31st in offense that year.

Chudzinski went back to the Chargers for two more seasons before he was hired in Carolina.

On Thursday, former Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt was brought to Cleveland for a second interview and he appeared to be the frontrunner. The Browns were also expected to meet again with Cincinnati defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and interview Indianapolis offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

But in the end, the Browns decided to go with Chudzinski, who has no head coaching experience but is regarded as one of the league's brightest up-and-coming coaches.

The hiring won't cause Cleveland fans to dance in the streets, but it is in keeping with Banner's past of hiring a coach without a meaty resume.

When he was in Philadelphia's front office, Banner went outside the box and hired relatively unknown Andy Reid, who spent 14 seasons with the Eagles before he was fired after this season.

The Browns can only hope it goes as well with Chudzinski.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32811

Never played a down in the pros, but I hear he is very football smart.
    As tight end coach in Miami, coached Shockey, Winslow, and Bubba Franks.

As coach:
    1994–1995

1996–2000

2001–2003

2005–2006

2007–2008

2009–2010

2011–2012

2013-present
    University of Miami
    (Graduate assistant)
    University of Miami
    (Tight ends coach)
    University of Miami
    (Offensive coordinator)
    Cleveland Browns
    (Tight ends coach)
    San Diego Chargers
    (Tight ends coach)
    Cleveland Browns
    (Offensive coordinator)
    San Diego Chargers
    (Tight ends coach/Assistant head coach)
    Carolina Panthers
    (Offensive coordinator)
    Cleveland Browns
    (Head coach)

daimoshokage
    daimoshokage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

Hey nash, this is not espn.. stop breaking news you fukk.. We already know that shit..

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Fukkkk Yeahhhh!!!!!!!!!

As a Panther fan i couldnt be happier this piece of shit coach is out of here. guy cant run an offense to save his life.

Good riddance. i blame him about 80% the reason Cam had such a bad start to the season... guy is horrible cluster fukk of a coach.

Hahhah Browns continue to make moves to ensure they will continue to suck

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

the Browns are gonna be the Browns

BigDeem5
    2013-2016 NBA: 461-378-24 +52.65u
    BigDeem5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2158

I guess it could be worse as a Browns fan.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

As a Panther fan I'm also glad Chud is gone, he can take his stupid read option and poor play calling to the Browns.

SparJMU
    SparJMU's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7523

This guy's resume is pretty weak. I don't think he has an NFL playoff win under his belt anywhere in those 7-8 years?

I will say this though, I would trust pretty much any decision Jimmy Haslam and Joe Banner agree on. Those are two of the best in the business.

ProfaneReality
    ProfaneReality's Avatar Become A Pro!

Banner has a deep need to look like a genius. Haslam is baffling. You pay 1.1 billion for a franchise, you clean house and eat Holmgrens 8 million dollars, and then you go and hire Rob Chudzinski ? If that wasn't bad enough, he is bringing Norv Turner, and switching to a 3-4. Browns have gone from 3-4 to 4-3 to 3-4 in last 4 years. They finally have D-line depth, and are weak at LB, and they are gonna switch to 3-4?

It's tough being a Browns fan.

Fieldysnuts44
    @poker table near you
    Fieldysnuts44's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Quote Originally Posted by BigDeem5 View Post
    I guess it could be worse as a Browns fan.
    Only way it can be worse is if the bring in Turner as OC,he's a fukkin douche.Being a Cleveland sports fan is Hell.

Well theres always next year,fukk Ill be in a nursing home shitting my pants the next time we have a fukkin .500 team.

eastern2
    eastern2's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Fieldysnuts44 View Post
    Only way it can be worse is if the bring in Turner as OC,he's a fukkin douche.Being a Cleveland sports fan is Hell.

Well theres always next year,fukk Ill be in a nursing home shitting my pants the next time we have a fukkin .500 team.
    As an OC norv is one of the best in the business - he's an epic fail as a HC but he's not that in cleveland

Problem that I have is - why is banner running fball operations with Lombardi coming aboard .... What is haslem doing?! It doesn't make sense

Maverick22
    Maverick22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

Chud is a terrible offensive play caller.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick22 View Post
    Chud is a terrible offensive play caller.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

yeah everyone on the radio here in town is saying today should be considered a Holiday that we got finally got Chud out of here...

the Panthers should have fired his incompetent ass .. i am shocked he got a Head Coaching job after the Panthers failure of a season this year.

now granted he made some adjustments toward the end of the season with his play calling and the Panthers went on a winning streak but it took his ass way too fukkin long to get a clue about this offense...

what are they going to run the read option with Weeden?

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Really shocked by Cleveland firing Shurmer in the first place, only to bring Chud in. Chud has worked with some good coaches over his career, but what I still haven't seen is any consistency or real effectiveness in his work in the NFL. Yeah, HC is different from the coordinator job, but like Carolina fans are saying - they are glad he's gone - and I don't blame them. He was pretty f'n bad and he should've been fired straight away after the season.

Cleveland has a really solid core of young players and should rise pretty quickly with a few key moves or players developing. I'm not seeing why this is a good hire right now. Again, only have the body of work to look at and it's not very impressive in the NFL. A guy like Brian Billick would've been amazing in this spot, but he likely would want total control. Dunno, there are a lot of other coordinators out there with much stronger success at the NFL level that I think would've been a better choice.

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

the previous regime wasted a valuable resource in taking weeden...it was a terrible choice for a team that wasnt ready to compete....loved the t rich and the tackle they took....they could have added another talented player to the roster with the weeden pick....it was a waste

ZINISTER
    ZINISTER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4786

From the area couldn't agree with ya more Weeden is a deer in headlights. Need to address that position. The offense has some young talented kids at skilled positions. The line allows Weeden all kid of time to check down to the back for a 2 yard reception. Norv is coming in to run the offense. If they go to a 3-4 they are crazy the D line is solid with a good young DB and tough S fill in some gaps on D and get an old guy that can develop how ever we get this year and we can make a move quick in the division we are in the Steelers are old and fighting Ravens are in a nursing home after this year Cincy is the cream of the crop and they have problems and gaps.

BigDeem5

Bobby and zinster get it.

Browns fan and Weeden pick was awful, set them back

Guessing they to wih him next year

5-11

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    yeah everyone on the radio here in town is saying today should be considered a Holiday that we got finally got Chud out of here...

the Panthers should have fired his incompetent ass .. i am shocked he got a Head Coaching job after the Panthers failure of a season this year.

now granted he made some adjustments toward the end of the season with his play calling and the Panthers went on a winning streak but it took his ass way too fukkin long to get a clue about this offense...

it took Chud what about 8 games to figure out that read option wasn't working. Cam is a great threat to run but not when everyone already knows its coming. Chud tried to hard to turn Cam into a huge running threat this season due to his ability to run the ball but in Cams first year most of those great runs come from the play braking down and Cam just taking off. And that's what we saw in the season half of the season this year. Cam just taking off after the play had broke down.

bobby heenan
    Update your status

Bobby and zinster get it.

Browns fan and Weeden pick was awful, set them back

Guessing they to wih him next year

5-11
    said it the minute they made the pick...a 29 year old qb for a team thats not ready to compete...just stupid...although i loved them getting t rich...if he can stay together I think norv will do wonders with him....i thought st louis made out like bandits

BigDeem5

Tebow to cleveland?

Option?

bobby heenan
    Update your status

Tebow to cleveland?

Option?
    tebow to the pats as hback/te

brady/tebow...now thats a power couple

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Tebow to the Browns might actually work

Grosshhit
    Grosshhit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 342

You know what? fuk it, I'm gonna be happy about this until he proves me wrong. If he brings in norv our offense should be great and explosive. He made Derek Anderson a pro bowler. Hell even Winslow dropped off after he left. If he doesn't go messing up the defense too much we might be ok. He was not my first choice but I'm happier with him than some others we interviewed. I thought when we first hired Holmgren it would all change but look where that got us.

edawg
    edawg's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4994

Balance Chud out with Norvell as OC and a quality DC and we have a winner here!

eastern2
    eastern2's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post

He did make Damn Awful i mean Derrick Anderson a pro bowler in 2007.....

combination lock
    combination lock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 470

Quote Originally Posted by Grosshhit View Post
    You know what? fuk it, I'm gonna be happy bout
    this until he proves me wrong. If he brings in norv our offense should be great and explosive. He made Derek Anderson a pro bowler. Hell even Winslow dropped off after he left. If he doesn't go messing up the defense too much we might be ok. He was not my first choice but I'm happier with him than some others we interviewed. I thought when we first hired Holmgren it would all change but lo
    ok where that got us.
    Sounds like you have a chub for chud.