PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

Junior Seau Had Brain Disease CTE

beermankirk
    beermankirk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 885

Add to the list of NHL goons, that had brain trauma and did the suicide thing in last few years.... There will be no fighting in NHL in a few years..

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by beermankirk View Post
    Add to the list of NHL goons, that had brain trauma and did the suicide thing in last few years.... There will be no fighting in NHL in a few years..
    The crazy thing is he had an almost 20 year career playing with a fukkin brain disease!

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Very sad end to a great career and life. Junior seemed like one of those guys you really wanted to know and call a friend

Serbone
    Serbone's Avatar Become A Pro!

Football as we know it will be gone in 5, 6 yrs. The lawyers have too much data, these guys are killing themselves out there. To big too fast the guys from the 70's are all coo-coo and linemen back then weighed 50 lbs less.

The only solution is weight limints (linemen 265, LB's 215, etc, rules TBD you get 3 lb leeway every 3 weeks, weigh on Weds, whatever). The game was just as exciting when linemen did not weigh 325 and LB's did not weigh 260. Also, abolish artificial turf.

OR they will have to wear helmets with foam on the outside (etc) and look like idiots, not warriors, gladiators, soldiers. Won't happen. So weight limits... think.

SO many ex players are already getting with lawyers... it will be like mesothelioma.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by Serbone View Post
    Football as we know it will be gone in 5, 6 yrs. The lawyers have too much data, these guys are killing themselves out there. To big too fast the guys from the 70's are all coo-coo and linemen back then weighed 50 lbs less.

The only solution is weight limints (linemen 265, LB's 215, etc, rules TBD you get 3 lb leeway every 3 weeks, weigh on Weds, whatever). The game was just as exciting when linemen did not weigh 325 and LB's did not weigh 260. Also, abolish artificial turf.

OR they will have to wear helmets with foam on the outside (etc) and look like idiots, not warriors, gladiators, soldiers. Won't happen. So weight limits... think.

SO many ex players are already getting with lawyers... it will be like mesothelioma.
    Lots of really good points.

I agree the game will change. It has to. How many more cases like this are they let going to happen knowing full well all the contributing factors that lead to stuff like this? They know the causes, therefore, they have to change.

The helmets are a joke. They protect nothing. Players still get knocked out and concussed regularly and what do the helmets do? Nothing.

I feel the same way about baseball helmets too. They protect nothing. You get hit with 90 MPH fastball, you'll be seeing stars for days after.

It's a fukkin joke all around. Junior Seau should be alive, healthy, and enjoying his family and friends. Instead he's taking a fukkin dirt nap.

nicktran808
    nicktran808's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's a risk of the game IMO. It will always be there or else it's not football. I'm all for changing rules to help protect players, but don't do it so much that you pussify the game.

These guys are getting paid to do it. They sign the contract knowing the risks. At the professional level, leave it as is. At the amateur level, things could be changed.

Coaches at all levels teach proper tackling form to prevent injuries. However, that's a lot easier said and done in practice than in game situation when two players are meeting each other at 40 mph. At game speed, everything goes out the window. Bodies are flying and the only thing in your mind is to make the tackle--usually requiring you to leave your feet (which is completely opposite of a "textbook form tackle").

It's in the nature of football, and it can't be changed without changing football.

Source: Played football. Did drills twice a week that involved helmet to helmet contact. Probably had tons of minor concussions (got really bad migraines during the season) but never got it checked out because I was a backup (aka 1) didnt care about me and 2) didnt want to be a pussy)

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Quote Originally Posted by Serbone View Post

Dude, they already wear spandex so there's no danger of them not looking like 'idiots'. Just that we gotten use to them looking like that.

Dont think the weight limit thing willl work either as even at that weight is more than enough to cause the type of damage thats similar to current situation...jmo

nicktran808

NFL is a deadly arms race between players getting bigger, faster, stronger, smarter and protective equipment improving.

Unfortunately, the arms race will never end. Better equipment = players feel "safer" so they are less cautious with their style of play (aka will play recklessly because they know they have the best equipment)

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by nicktran808 View Post
    It's a risk of the game IMO. It will always be there or else it's not football. I'm all for changing rules to help protect players, but don't do it so much that you pussify the game.

These guys are getting paid to do it. They sign the contract knowing the risks. At the professional level, leave it as is. At the amateur level, things could be changed.

Coaches at all levels teach proper tackling form to prevent injuries. However, that's a lot easier said and done in practice than in game situation when two players are meeting each other at 40 mph. At game speed, everything goes out the window. Bodies are flying and the only thing in your mind is to make the tackle--usually requiring you to leave your feet (which is completely opposite of a "textbook form tackle").

It's in the nature of football, and it can't be changed without changing football.

Source: Played football. Did drills twice a week that involved helmet to helmet contact. Probably had tons of minor concussions (got really bad migraines during the season) but never got it checked out because I was a backup (aka 1) didnt care about me and 2) didnt want to be a pussy)
    It's not about being or feeling like a pussy. That's the type of shit that will make you have problems for the rest of your life. If I were you, I would get myself checked out asap just to know if there are any issues.

cankid
    cankid's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10316

sad to see a great career end this way

importmoon
    happiness is a warm gun
    importmoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4806

same as you smoke 3 packs of Marlboro a day got lung cancer and tried to sue Philipp Morris.... best of luck

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

3 tackles and 1 sack and you get ejected from the game. This will be the new rules.

nicktran808

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers View Post
    It's not about being or feeling like a pussy. That's the type of shit that will make you have problems for the rest of your life. If I were you, I would get myself checked out asap just to know if there are any issues.
    I agree that it's a bad thing, but I wanted to keep practicing and whatnot and do my part in helping out the team and being a part of the team inside of being on the sidelines watching everything go on. Though I never really saw field time, coaches noticed my perseverance and I technically started the last game (played on first defensive play and last drive of the game... lol).

Regardless, I stopped playing football after that year because I sucked sh*t obviously

Nowadays I'm not helping my brain much still by doing jiu-jitsu. I'm a defensive player and I refuse to tap to a choke unless I'm about to go out because I don't want to reward my partner/opponent with a submission that they didn't 1) do properly or 2) work hard enough for

Needless to say my brain has taken quite a bit of hits and worked off low oxygen many times. I've actually passed out from a choke once that I didn't think would knock me out.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by nicktran808 View Post
    I agree that it's a bad thing, but I wanted to keep practicing and whatnot and do my part in helping out the team and being a part of the team inside of being on the sidelines watching everything go on. Though I never really saw field time, coaches noticed my perseverance and I technically started the last game (played on first defensive play and last drive of the game... lol).

Regardless, I stopped playing football after that year because I sucked sh*t obviously

Nowadays I'm not helping my brain much still by doing jiu-jitsu. I'm a defensive player and I refuse to tap to a choke unless I'm about to go out because I don't want to reward my partner/opponent with a submission that they didn't 1) do properly or 2) work hard enough for

Needless to say my brain has taken quite a bit of hits and worked off low oxygen many times. I've actually passed out from a choke once that I didn't think would knock me out.
    Dude, you just admitted your brain isn't functioning properly. WTF

Forget the team, you need to do YOURSELF a favor and get looked at.

Remember the scene in The Godfather where the family is sitting around the dining room table, and Michael reveals he joined the Army? Then his brother Sonny slaps him in the head and says "watcha go to college to get stupid? your country ain't your blood!"

Your team ain't your blood bro. Get yourself checked out.

nicktran808

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers View Post
    Dude, you just admitted your brain isn't functioning properly. WTF

Forget the team, you need to do YOURSELF a favor and get looked at.

Remember the scene in The Godfather where the family is sitting around the dining room table, and Michael reveals he joined the Army? Then his brother Sonny slaps him in the head and says "watcha go to college to get stupid? your country ain't your blood!"

Your team ain't your blood bro. Get yourself checked out.
    3.75 GPA this past semester at a top private university in the Midwest (then again, it's the friggin Midwest) with a Cumulative GPA of 3.45 as a Biology Pre-Med major.

My brain functions perfectly fine. No more migraines. My conditioning for jiujitsu is top notch, even with heavy anaerobic and lack of oxygen / oxygen debt situations.

Hell, I even binge drink a few times a week when I'm at college.

There's nothing going on in the present that suggests I have any brain issues, however I DO NOT DOUBT that I will encounter problems in the future when I'm senile (then again, I don't want to be old, senile, a vegetable, useless, etc) so I'm apathetic / neutral about it for now.

Also, at this point, there's not much I can do to improve my brain's condition--all I can do is manage it, and prevent further sh*t. Same holds true for every football player in the world at all levels, and with everyone who does something that involves head impact/collisions/etc. (I could wear a helmet when surfing... but nah f*ck that)
    Last edited by nicktran808; 01-10-13 at 08:03 PM.

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

He was a talented player! RiP

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Illini, ur back

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

This really isn't news. It would have been news if he didn't have CTE.

I remember there were some conspiracy threads by the wackos that thought he was murdered. At least we can put those to rest.

Mr. Peepers
    Mr. Peepers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

Flip burgers at mcdonalds for 8 bucks an hour or collect league min of 500k for a few yrs, risking some injury....I know what I would do..Jr seau case is rare