SportsPedagogy
    SportsPedagogy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 266

Coaching changes ruin teams.

Fun fact, since 1997 Dallas, Detroit and Washington have had the most coaching changes, and they are the only NFC teams since then to not play in the NFC Championship.
    Last edited by SportsPedagogy; 01-09-13 at 08:28 AM.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

To not play I assume you meant. And also, bad teams get coaches fired, it's like a revolving door, once you get enough momentum going, it's tough to stop.

SportsPedagogy

Haha yeah, thanks, corrected.

triplestacks
    triplestacks's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yes, in many instances the ruin teams. Chemistry changes

icancount2one
    Let's go NickFolian Dynamite!
    icancount2one's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 571

Good coaches are harder to come by than fans think. In the instances of Washington and Dallas you have crazy owners who will do anything to divert blame from themselves.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: SportsPedagogy

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by SportsPedagogy View Post
    Fun fact, since 1997 Dallas, Detroit and Washington have had the most coaching changes, and they are the only NFC teams since then to not play in the NFC Championship.
    How about SF? Their last NFC Championship was 1997 before rookie HC Jim Harbaugh got them there last year.

It's probably more effect than cause, teams tend to give a coach 3 years to get to a conference championship or at least show some real potential, if they can't then they get sacked and the process continues.

I wonder if regular firing of the HC by a team is sometimes a smokescreen to hide a poor front office, similar to when a HC fires a coordinator. The Redskins, Cowboys, Lions and many other teams seem like a front office mess and no head coach is going to fix that aspect of those teams. If a team really had it's ducks in a row, it ought to be able to win with a wide range of HC candidates, Pitts and GB is a good example of this. For example, if Bill Cowher ever went to one of these problem franchises, I don't think he'd have much better luck than anyone else. Look at Washington with HOF coach Joe Gibbs or Dallas with HOFer Bill Parcells. Maybe they were too old or past their prime, but I think a lot had to do with the front office not being good enough to support even a legendary HC.

SportsPedagogy

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    How about SF? Their last NFC Championship was 1997 before rookie HC Jim Harbaugh got them there last year.

It's probably more effect than cause, teams tend to give a coach 3 years to get to a conference championship or at least show some real potential, if they can't then they get sacked and the process continues.

I wonder if regular firing of the HC by a team is sometimes a smokescreen to hide a poor front office, similar to when a HC fires a coordinator. The Redskins, Cowboys, Lions and many other teams seem like a front office mess and no head coach is going to fix that aspect of those teams. If a team really had it's ducks in a row, it ought to be able to win with a wide range of HC candidates, Pitts and GB is a good example of this. For example, if Bill Cowher ever went to one of these problem franchises, I don't think he'd have much better luck than anyone else. Look at Washington with HOF coach Joe Gibbs or Dallas with HOFer Bill Parcells. Maybe they were too old or past their prime, but I think a lot had to do with the front office not being good enough to support even a legendary HC.
    Bill Parcells turned the team around and then left cause he couldnt handle Jerry Jones. So I agree with the Front Office comment. T.O. was especially crying about Parcells cause Parcells was strict. Then they had one decent year with Wade Phillips (Using the core guys that Parcells assembled, similar to the Raiders making it to the Superbowl with Grudens guys) and Dallas hasnt been a real threat ever since.