ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

nights like tonight continue to prove that we need more than a 4 team playoff..

Florida with 0 motivation tonight,
    Ville with biggest game in school history,

how much better would this be if there was actually meaning behind these bcs games.. aka moving on to the next round etc..

its a great win for ville fans, and the big east, but everyone else, its just another bowl game.

it wont be remembered any more than the utah win over bama a few years ago.

if i was a ville fan just leaves you with an excitment but half ass feeling.. dominated a great team and all we got is this stupid t-shirt type feel

instead they go to a half ass 4 team playoff next year, that still isnt great cause you wont even get a ville, boise state, type team in the mix..

o well, i can dream of one day seeing a 16 team playoff
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Vegas39

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

bear sharp

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Bear

ebbearsfb1

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    bear sharp
    got no dog in these college football races, so i can look at it from a realistic side...

and if i didnt have bowl mania i would of been rooting for the ville..

if i was a ville fan, i would have that feeling of being excited, but really what do we have to show for it?

o we won a bcs bowl game, so did stanford, and fsu, and so will oregon/ksu..

and if your a gator fan, what motivation did florida have tonight, missed out on the bcs championship game,

half the kids out there were more worried about posing after a big hit, what bar they are going to after the game, or where they are getting drafted then actually winning a the game

add in the stupid month long lay off.. if you want this dumb system, then play the bowl games 3 weeks ago so you get the best games.

zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

wow I totally forgot about Utah beating Alabama until you just brought it up...that wasn't under Saban was right?

edit yeah it was..wow..that is insane....too still even think about that..

ebbearsfb1

16 team playoff this year no particular order.

1) Ville big east,
    2) florida state acc
    3) bama sec
    4) stanford pac 12,
    5) k state big 12
    6) wisconsin

7) nd
    8) florida
    9) oregon
    10) lsu
    11) sc
    12) a&M
    13) oklahoma
    14) clemson
    15) oregon state
    16) niu

just used the bcs rankings to fill in remaining spots

ebbearsfb1

Quote Originally Posted by zoo youk View Post
    wow I totally forgot about Utah beating Alabama until you just brought it up...that wasn't under Saban was right?

edit yeah it was..wow..that is insane....too still even think about that..
    yea it was under him... it was same scenario, they just missed out on national championship,

utah was hyped, 12-0 etc...

21-0 first quarter, and by the time bama woke up, it was too late

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

utah had urban meyer coaching.....bammer didnt really turn it on for that game but utah was legit...far more than shitty niu

zoo youk

Quote Originally Posted by ebbearsfb1 View Post
    16 team playoff this year no particular order.

1) Ville big east,
    2) florida state acc
    3) bama sec
    4) stanford pac 12,
    5) k state big 12
    6) wisconsin

7) nd
    8) florida
    9) oregon
    10) lsu
    11) sc
    12) a&M
    13) oklahoma
    14) clemson
    15) oregon state
    16) niu

teams like Oregon, A&M, KState, Louisville

could all get hot(just like college basketball) and go a run and win the national title. but the NCAA makes too much money with this system in place. money rules all.

you would think with all the excitement surrounded by a lay out you purposed advertisers would be fumbling over each other to pour money in get ADs in and sponsor games. but obviously its more complicated than that. shame.

ebbearsfb1

and would anyone have a problem with the remaining teams?

if you cant get in the top 16 you dont deserve to be in anyway,

you could add in a * if your in a non aq school and go 12-0 or whatever, you get an automatic berth...

teams could still play 12 games.

playoffs would add 4 games max, so 16 games for 2 teams, a bunch of teams already played 14 anyway,

for this year, week off in between

december 15 round of 16
    december 22 round of 8
    december 29th or new years day round of 4
    championship week later.

and shyt you can still keep the other bowl games,

they act like this is rocket science. took me all of 5 minutes to figure it out..

and if i actually sat down and did it, i could have it close to perfect

anyone disagree?

zoo youk

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    utah had urban meyer coaching.....bammer didnt really turn it on for that game but utah was legit...far more than shitty niu
    nah it was Kyle Whittingham.

ebbearsfb1

teams like Oregon, A&M, KState, Louisville

could all get hot(just like college basketball) and go a run and win the national title. but the NCAA makes too much money with this system in place. money rules all.

you would think with all the excitement surrounded by a lay out you purposed advertisers would be fumbling over each other to pour money in get ADs in and sponsor games. but obviously its more complicated than that. shame.

the thing that i dont get, so many schools lose money on the smaller bowl games still..

and florida didnt even sell all their tickets for tonights game.

Rutgers took a big hit because of the same thing..

i keep hearing how teams arent selling their share of tickets for the bowls, and the school loses money

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

nah it was Kyle Whittingham.
    unreal

i got the wrong undefeated utah team

zoo youk

i actually looked that one up drinker, dont fuk wit me on that one.

zoo youk

zoo 1. drinker 0.

ebbearsfb1

haha
    bears for still being up -20..

whittingham was head coach in both bcs games for utah also.

them and boise always came to play in big spots

ebbearsfb1

Current bcs bowl system is like getting an "a" in gym class.. sure it's an "a" but mamma don't care cause its gym class..

What ya think of that one?

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

No, the game didn't prove that at all. If Louisville wanted to compete for a national championship, it should have played better at the end of the regular season and not screw up games it was capable of winning. There's never been an instance where more than four teams proved to be worthy of playing for a title, and there never will be.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11139

I'd love a 16 team playoff but that's too much of a stretch. 8 is the right number as it wouldn't have a large impact on the current system. I'm hoping the 4 team format brings in so much money that espn demands an 8 team for a shitload of cash. It's coming eventually, just hope to be alive when it happens...

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

If you lack motivation, you are coached poorly. Simple.

Motivation was a serious factor, but it was more the emotion from the prior that did this one right.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

8 is enough teams. You really want to see Alabama vs niu?

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

Watching all the classic sugar bowls you realized these games use to be fun to watch. Now unless you have money or its your favorite team who really watches these. Espically these stupid heart of Dallas bowls and crap

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    If you lack motivation, you are coached poorly. Simple.

Motivation was a serious factor, but it was more the emotion from the prior that did this one right.
    This. I still want a better playoff system as well, but if you're supposed to be a top tier team - no excuses for getting ass slammed ... unless you bet against yourself, then kudos.

ebbearsfb1

Not neccessarily true.. if rutgers/ville finished 12 and 0..they still dont have much of a shot at a top 4 spot..

This year ksu, oregon, nd bama, florida.. atleast 5 teams off top of my head
    Quote Originally Posted by floridagolfer View Post
    No, the game didn't prove that at all. If Louisville wanted to compete for a national championship, it should have played better at the end of the regular season and not screw up games it was capable of winning. There's never been an instance where more than four teams proved to be worthy of playing for a title, and there never will be.

ebbearsfb1

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    8 is enough teams. You really want to see Alabama vs niu?
    The thing is if you do 8 your already taking out 2 bcs bowl teams fr om this year.

And after tonight hard to argue that ville doesnt deserve a shot as big east champs..

At 8 teams

Are you taking the conference champs and 2 at large ? Or top 8 ranking wise

And how good would be an a&m vs stanford type game..

2 of the hottest teams in the country..

Would be some really good games that you normally wouldnt see.

Wth 16 cinderalla still gets a shot at the dance .. which is what everyone wants unless your a power school...

Also takes out the when you lost out of it.
    Like this year

I believe biggest problem with this is if your using bowl sites fans of a bama etc wont travel to all 4 games.... could be avoid by making the first round home games for higher seed
    Last edited by ebbearsfb1; 01-03-13 at 08:05 AM.

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

The bama/utah game is burned into my memory forever.
    Alabama has exceptional season, only to get blasted by Tebow & co in SEC title game.
    The motivation seemed to take the wind out of their sails right then.
    Bama goes to sugar bowl against undefeated and supposedly over rated utah team.
    Alabamas best player Andre Smith talks to an agent early, gets suspended for the Sugar bowl.
    Arguably one of the best starting left tackles in recent bama history not playing vs Utah. This was detrimental blow, as this kid was a ROCK, started everygame for bama since he was true freshman.
    Utah jumps out 21-0, too much for bama to endure. They played half ass the entire game.
    This poster gets hammered drunk and watches 2nd half through Jim Beam goggles.
    I don't remember any of the game, but will never forget that it happened.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

The Big East is about to be toast. So that leaves us with...

Champions of the
    ACC/ND
    SEC
    Big 10
    Big 12
    Pac 12

I'd actually prefer top 8 teams, but whatever. Conferences are going to want to have a guaranteed shot to be in it with 8 teams.

Then have 3 "wild cards" or Open slots, whatever you want to call it, for everyone else. Have a provision for the Boise States, Hawaii's, NIU's etc to get in if they are at a certain rank in the system. Problem with 16 teams is going to be scheduling. Most colleges are closed around the middle of December to the end of January. Maybe they could work something out, but we're always going to have some teams that feel left out. Heck, there's about 200 teams in the basketball tournament and there's always some school bitching and moaning about being left out.

ebbearsfb1

I can live with 8.. but dont you think we get complaining from sec players saying a south carolina or a&m should be in over the acc champ or who ever..i do like the idea maybe one day before i die will see it.

They could start the season earlier would be a way to avoid problems in december..im sure if more thought wss put in something could. Be hammered out especially as more partity occurs
    Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    The Big East is about to be toast. So that le.aves us with...

Champions of the
    ACC/ND
    SEC
    Big 10
    Big 12
    Pac 12

Then have 3 "wild cards" or Open slots, whatever you want to call it, for everyone else. Have a provision for the Boise States, Hawaii's, NIU's etc to get in if they are at a certain rank in the system. Problem with 16 teams is going to be scheduling. Most colleges are closed around the middle of December to the end of January. Maybe they could work something out, but we're always going to have some teams that feel left out. Heck, there's about 200 teams in the basketball tournament and there's always some school bitching and moaning about being left out.

zoo youk

for all the people saying Florida didn't "show up" I truly don't believe that. I think they came to play but just straight up got their ass wooped.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

They could start the season earlier would be a way to avoid problems in december..

I think college football use to do this, but for whatever reason wait until Labor day or after it now.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1824

for all the people saying Florida didn't "show up" I truly don't believe that. I think they came to play but just straight up got their ass wooped.
    Play the game over again and they lose.

That can be said for any one "playoff" game.

BiffTFinancial
    BiffTFinancial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5368

disagree completely with the premise of this thread. Florida didn't deserve to be in the national title game discussion, and last night proved it (as opposed to underscoring the need for a large playoff to motivate teams like Florida). the simplest explanation is often the correct one.

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2264

the thing that i dont get, so many schools lose money on the smaller bowl games still..

and florida didnt even sell all their tickets for tonights game.

Rutgers took a big hit because of the same thing..

i keep hearing how teams arent selling their share of tickets for the bowls, and the school loses money

Very true UConn lost a ton of money playing oklahoma a couple years back in a BCS bowl.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

It's the economy. People can't afford to fly or drive cross-country and pay hotels and food and tickets to watch a 3 hr game. HDTV's are so good these days that watching a game on TV is like being there.

BiffTFinancial
    BiffTFinancial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5368

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    It's the economy. People can't afford to fly or drive cross-country and pay hotels and food and tickets to watch a 3 hr game. HDTV's are so good these days that watching a game on TV is like being there.
    bingo. schools will and must adjust. after all, accepting a bowl invite is not mandatory.

12 Last