Dom177
    Dom177's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1210

Quote Originally Posted by BiffTFinancial View Post
    disagree completely with the premise of this thread. Florida didn't deserve to be in the national title game discussion, and last night proved it (as opposed to underscoring the need for a large playoff to motivate teams like Florida). the simplest explanation is often the correct one.
    Exactly. I had money on Florida but never would I have ever thought of them being in the top 5 even. Not sure what was worse last night between the lack of motivation after the opening TD by Ville' or after every tackle a pose and mini celebration. Act like you've done it before, its your job.

zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

disagree completely with the premise of this thread. Florida didn't deserve to be in the national title game discussion, and last night proved it (as opposed to underscoring the need for a large playoff to motivate teams like Florida). the simplest explanation is often the correct one.
    umm..buddy..your actually agreeing with the thread if your saying you don't believe that florida didn't deserve to be in the national title game discussion.

I understand where you are coming from. but in the end you are just basically agreeing here.

zoo youk

and again. I highly disagree that Florida wasn't "motivated" it was the Sugar Bowl for Christ Sakes. you could see how bad Muschamp wanted it. the Gators defense was fired up all game, Louisville couldn't run on them all game towards the end of the 2nd half, they simply just got out coached, out worked and got their asses beat. Florida is not built not built to come from behind. Louisville had the perfect game plan. give Teddy Bridgewater and Co. some credit already...

BiffTFinancial
    BiffTFinancial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5368

Quote Originally Posted by zoo youk View Post
    umm..buddy..your actually agreeing with the thread if your saying you don't believe that florida didn't deserve to be in the national title game discussion.

I understand where you are coming from. but in the end you are just basically agreeing here.
    no offense, but i think we need to iron out the double negative in your second sentence so that i can understand your point a little better. not sure exactly what you mean.

my position: i hate the idea of any playoff, period. there should be, at most, an optional plus-one to be used in years where needed (e.g., Auburn in 2004) but not when not needed (e.g., pretty much every year since the BCS' inception). i'm not crazy about it, but at least a 4-team playoff preserves the integrity of regular season as much as possible. i hate how many teams get into NFL, NBA, NHL playoffs. half the leagues get in and the playoffs are good but the regular seasons are meaningless (see the rise of popularity of fantasy sports horseshit).

an 8-team or 16-team playoff would be a penetrating abortion. the right two teams are playing for the national title, and there isn't the time, player resources or fan resources to play some big playoff. that's what video games are for. and if someone doesn't like college football's system, they can tune into any number of professional sports with meaningless regular seasons and playoffs where half the teams get in. college football need not be ruined just because every other sport's regular season is.

BiffTFinancial

Quote Originally Posted by Dom177 View Post
    Exactly. I had money on Florida but never would I have ever thought of them being in the top 5 even. Not sure what was worse last night between the lack of motivation after the opening TD by Ville' or after every tackle a pose and mini celebration. Act like you've done it before, its your job.
    yep, i took UL TT under and teased UF/under and lost big. that's on me and no one else. i didn't handicap the game properly and i was wrong. no need to blow up a very successful system based upon one bowl game. Louisville didn't play a good game last night; they played a great one. the takeway? UL played a great game last night and is deserving Sugar Bowl champ. that's it and that's all.

if last night had been a playoff game, UF probably would've approached and played game differently, but i'm not sure how that means that it should've been a playoff game. fault lies with UF, not the system.

zoo youk

no offense, but i think we need to iron out the double negative in your second sentence so that i can understand your point a little better. not sure exactly what you mean.

my position: i hate the idea of any playoff, period. there should be, at most, an optional plus-one to be used in years where needed (e.g., Auburn in 2004) but not when not needed (e.g., pretty much every year since the BCS' inception). i'm not crazy about it, but at least a 4-team playoff preserves the integrity of regular season as much as possible. i hate how many teams get into NFL, NBA, NHL playoffs. half the leagues get in and the playoffs are good but the regular seasons are meaningless (see the rise of popularity of fantasy sports horseshit).

an 8-team or 16-team playoff would be a penetrating abortion. the right two teams are playing for the national title, and there isn't the time, player resources or fan resources to play some big playoff. that's what video games are for. and if someone doesn't like college football's system, they can tune into any number of professional sports with meaningless regular seasons and playoffs where half the teams get in. college football need not be ruined just because every other sport's regular season is.
    so than what do you do to purpose about Louisville beating Floridas ass and really getting nothing out of it? (besides the typical, oh well they should have won out in their regular season games)

BiffTFinancial

so than what do you do to purpose about Louisville beating Floridas ass and really getting nothing out of it? (besides the typical, oh well they should have won out in their regular season games)
    i am not trying to be a jerk but i don't understand what you are saying. as for what UL got out of beating Florida's ass, they are Sugar Bowl champs and got an immense, program-building win. if you think that the only win that matters is the national title game, i respectfully disagree and point out that this would mean that 123 of 124 FBS programs have a season that they "get nothing out of" every year. maybe i'm wrong but i don't hear any Louisville fans complaining that the BCS screwed them out of a national title shot.

neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

FL was very over-rated this year, i was all over lousville. easy money.

Frisco
    Frisco's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'd be fine w/ a 12 team tourney where top 4 seeds get 1st round byes.

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

Quote Originally Posted by ebbearsfb1 View Post
    Not neccessarily true.. if rutgers/ville finished 12 and 0..they still dont have much of a shot at a top 4 spot..

This year ksu, oregon, nd bama, florida.. atleast 5 teams off top of my head
    Florida? You're joking, right? Florida, which needed a blocked punt to beat La.-Lafayette at HOME? Florida, a team ranked 97th in total offense? I can come up with a few dozen people at work to form a team that would be more deserving of Florida. That's a ridiculous suggestion.

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

Quote Originally Posted by floridagolfer View Post
    Florida? You're joking, right? Florida, which needed a blocked punt to beat La.-Lafayette at HOME? Florida, a team ranked 97th in total offense? I can come up with a few dozen people at work to form a team that would be more deserving of Florida. That's a ridiculous suggestion.

its easy to say after last night, but look at their schedule as well.

its not exactly like they played all 1aa teams all year...

i think its silly to say florida wasnt considered a top tier team a majority of the year..

and guessing my your name are you a canes fan, or fsu?

zoo youk

i am not trying to be a jerk but i don't understand what you are saying. as for what UL got out of beating Florida's ass, they are Sugar Bowl champs and got an immense, program-building win. if you think that the only win that matters is the national title game, i respectfully disagree and point out that this would mean that 123 of 124 FBS programs have a season that they "get nothing out of" every year. maybe i'm wrong but i don't hear any Louisville fans complaining that the BCS screwed them out of a national title shot.
    no I agree with pretty much with everything you said but like bears said...in a few years no one will even remember...just like nobody remembers 12-0 Utah beating Saban and Bama in 2009. It's just a shame. For sure it is tremendous for their program but who knows where the Big East is headed, with the teams they have coming in they may not even be considered an AQ conference anymore so than what for the Cards? but that is another discussion for another day I suppose.

BiffTFinancial

no I agree with pretty much with everything you said but like bears said...in a few years no one will even remember...just like nobody remembers 12-0 Utah beating Saban and Bama in 2009. It's just a shame. For sure it is tremendous for their program but who knows where the Big East is headed, with the teams they have coming in they may not even be considered an AQ conference anymore so than what for the Cards? but that is another discussion for another day I suppose.
    i don't know about you, but i won't soon forget last night's Sugar Bowl, and neither will UL fans. same with Utah over Bama in 2009. both were some of the biggest wins in respective program history. that can't be overstated. and if it were in a playoff, it would likely be followed by an inevitable loss (since only one team can win its last game in a playoff), surely dimming its luster. one of the reasons that i absolutely love college football is that the bowl season means that 35 teams finish their season with wins. i frankly think that's much better for players, program and fans than would be an 8-team or 16-team playoff.

ebbearsfb1

i don't know about you, but i won't soon forget last night's Sugar Bowl, and neither will UL fans. same with Utah over Bama in 2009. both were some of the biggest wins in respective program history. that can't be overstated. and if it were in a playoff, it would likely be followed by an inevitable loss (since only one team can win its last game in a playoff), surely dimming its luster. one of the reasons that i absolutely love college football is that the bowl season means that 35 teams finish their season with wins. i frankly think that's much better for players, program and fans than would be an 8-team or 16-team playoff.
    last night Sugar Bowl? and the Sugar Bowl in 09, not much reason to remember them unless your a Ute fan or Ville fan. games were largely uncompetitive, and uninteresting..

march madness gets by fine with only one team winning their last game. so i dont buy the big win would lose its luster. plenty of memoriable march games are remember and didnt lose luster. i know its a different sport.

and 35 teams win bowl games... YAY everyone finishes with a trophy. its like its little league, everyone gets a ribbon for showing up

almost 30% of college teams finish with a bowl win, 6-6 gets ya in a bowl game 6-7 the past few years for some teams, and over half the teams get into a bowl game, just by being average at best..

an 8 team playoff would not hurt the importance of the record season though, every game would still be important.. teams still wont be able to go and lose 3 games and think they have a shot, 2 losses will knock a lot of teams out of the conversation anyway.

and the rest of the bowl games can still be kept in place to a certain extend... they would still be able to keep almost 20 bowl games outside of the playoff..

the reason i mentioned 16 was to at least give a team like ville, or an undefeated boise , san jose st. a shot at the party where with 8 teams they really still wont have a shot.

8 team could work with travel and everything, as the first round could be higher seeds place.

then semis and finals neutral bowl sites...

for people to say anything about travel, people would actually travel if the game was MEANINGFUL and not just a regular odd bowl game.. They pack 100,000 in some of these stadiums, they can get people to go to playoff games

and this year a 4 team playoff ..

oregon gets in?
    florida gets in?

neither team even won theire division let alone their conference.

but they are both ranked higher than Stanford, and Georgia..

So sure a 4 team playoff is an improvement, but how do you justify putting oregon in over stanford, as oregon is currently ranked 4...

8 would be great... maybe one day it will happen...

i can hope... and its not like people can say the 1 vs 8 game would be be lousy either..

this year it would be nd vs lsu or a&m.

then again yay 35 trophies, 70 particpants, the only way you dont get a chance is if your terrible.. Being average is just fine now a days in most things it seems
    Last edited by ebbearsfb1; 01-03-13 at 11:08 PM.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

Oregon vs winner of Alabama vs Notre Dame.

andco1
    andco1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2715

Interesting side note, Utah beat USC in a bowl game in 2001, that was the Trojans last loss before they went on their ungodly tear in the early 2000's. same thing happened after Utahs win over Bama in 2009

BiffTFinancial

Quote Originally Posted by ebbearsfb1 View Post
    last night Sugar Bowl? and the Sugar Bowl in 09, not much reason to remember them unless your a Ute fan or Ville fan. games were largely uncompetitive, and uninteresting..

march madness gets by fine with only one team winning their last game. so i dont buy the big win would lose its luster. plenty of memoriable march games are remember and didnt lose luster. i know its a different sport.

and 35 teams win bowl games... YAY everyone finishes with a trophy. its like its little league, everyone gets a ribbon for showing up

almost 30% of college teams finish with a bowl win, 6-6 gets ya in a bowl game 6-7 the past few years for some teams, and over half the teams get into a bowl game, just by being average at best..

an 8 team playoff would not hurt the importance of the record season though, every game would still be important.. teams still wont be able to go and lose 3 games and think they have a shot, 2 losses will knock a lot of teams out of the conversation anyway.

and the rest of the bowl games can still be kept in place to a certain extend... they would still be able to keep almost 20 bowl games outside of the playoff..

the reason i mentioned 16 was to at least give a team like ville, or an undefeated boise , san jose st. a shot at the party where with 8 teams they really still wont have a shot.

8 team could work with travel and everything, as the first round could be higher seeds place.

then semis and finals neutral bowl sites...

for people to say anything about travel, people would actually travel if the game was MEANINGFUL and not just a regular odd bowl game.. They pack 100,000 in some of these stadiums, they can get people to go to playoff games

and this year a 4 team playoff ..

oregon gets in?
    florida gets in?

neither team even won theire division let alone their conference.

but they are both ranked higher than Stanford, and Georgia..

So sure a 4 team playoff is an improvement, but how do you justify putting oregon in over stanford, as oregon is currently ranked 4...

8 would be great... maybe one day it will happen...

i can hope... and its not like people can say the 1 vs 8 game would be be lousy either..

this year it would be nd vs lsu or a&m.

then again yay 35 trophies, 70 particpants, the only way you dont get a chance is if your terrible.. Being average is just fine now a days in most things it seems
    completely disagree, but no interest in debating you. i remember and was highly entertained by those Sugar Bowls and if you don't, that's fine. i'm not an evangelist. march madness and football apples to oranges. you can play 68-team tourney in less than 3 weeks and play 4 games same day same court (and each team can play twice within roughly 48 hour period in same city). fans will not travel 3 weeks in a row for CFB playoff and stadiums will be half-filled (FCS playoff draws almost zero fans; that is NCAA's fear with playoff). if you don't like college football, there are plenty of shitty sports with meaningless regular seasons to entertain you for one month of the year. i'll take college football's weekly season-long playoff as compared to remembering that the NBA exists a couple of days out of the year (but that's just a shitty product all-around).

college football bowl season is primarily about the players, coaches and fan bases of a given team. it's not about trying to find a way to make, say, San Jose State football more interesting to someone with no interest in SJSU football other than gambling on it. that's a losing proposition for college football. the sport's popularity and ratings seem to be doing quite well under the current system. if you aren't interested in the season of a team that went 8-4/7-5/6-6 and went to a bowl, then it probably wasn't for you anyway. i listened to SJSU/Bowling Green bowl game on SJSU radio broadcast (was during work) and that entire fan base with thrilled with their bowl trip to D.C.; if you don't care, that's fine, but i'm not sure that getting you to care about that game is real priority. based upon the tv ratings for bowl games, someone sure as shit cares.

not sure what to make out of your "things these days" comment. all i'll say is that i think that a pro sport that let's 40-50% of its teams into a playoff for the title (so, NFL, NBA, NHL) is far more offensive than a college sport that ends its season with 34 bowl games where the victor wins something other than a national title.

and i'll say it: 8-team playoff would by lousy.
    Last edited by BiffTFinancial; 01-04-13 at 04:05 AM.

ebbearsfb1

completely disagree, but no interest in debating you. i remember and was highly entertained by those Sugar Bowls and if you don't, that's fine. i'm not an evangelist. march madness and football apples to oranges. you can play 68-team tourney in less than 3 weeks and play 4 games same day same court (and each team can play twice within roughly 48 hour period in same city). fans will not travel 3 weeks in a row for CFB playoff and stadiums will be half-filled (FCS playoff draws almost zero fans; that is NCAA's fear with playoff). if you don't like college football, there are plenty of shitty sports with meaningless regular seasons to entertain you for one month of the year. i'll take college football's weekly season-long playoff as compared to remembering that the NBA exists a couple of days out of the year (but that's just a shitty product all-around).

college football bowl season is primarily about the players, coaches and fan bases of a given team. it's not about trying to find a way to make, say, San Jose State football more interesting to someone with no interest in SJSU football other than gambling on it. that's a losing proposition for college football. the sport's popularity and ratings seem to be doing quite well under the current system. if you aren't interested in the season of a team that went 8-4/7-5/6-6 and went to a bowl, then it probably wasn't for you anyway. i listened to SJSU/Bowling Green bowl game on SJSU radio broadcast (was during work) and that entire fan base with thrilled with their bowl trip to D.C.; if you don't care, that's fine, but i'm not sure that getting you to care about that game is real priority. based upon the tv ratings for bowl games, someone sure as shit cares.

not sure what to make out of your "things these days" comment. all i'll say is that i think that a pro sport that let's 40-50% of its teams into a playoff for the title (so, NFL, NBA, NHL) is far more offensive than a college sport that ends its season with 34 bowl games where the victor wins something other than a national title.

and i'll say it: 8-team playoff would by lousy.
    but those games were interesting?? both were over early
    dont get me wrong I love college football as much as anybody anywhere, and do watch all the games... but it doesnt take away thats its no more than an exhibition for a lot of teams .. of course its exciting for a team who hasnt been there recently
    Even stilll I know florida, rutgers and I know at least of a few others who didn't even sell their allocated bowl tickets...lot of schools lose money on bowl games.. that cant be good..

look at top tier teams this year and not the San Jose States..

South Carolina? Georgia? Oregon? even K State?
    cannot tell me Oregon fans dont have a what if feel to their season.. Didnt Win the Pac 12, didnt win the national title,

you dont think fans are willing to travel to important games? Upwards of 100,000 fans in a big time stadium on any given Saturday
    FCS... not nearly have of that, so of course they wont have the same out put at a playoff game.

8 team playoff- first round could be home for higher seed, next 2 bowl sites, or however they wanted to work it

i think you'll find a lot of people would disagree with you that an 8 team playoff would be lousy, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. just saying what i would like to see

good discussion..

good luck on your plays
    Last edited by ebbearsfb1; 01-04-13 at 07:47 AM.

ebbearsfb1

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...-down-slightly

Interesting article regarding attendance and ratings at new years day bowl games..
    Attendance down and ratings thru out the years down. Although up this year

I fully believe 8 team playoff fans would travel for 2 games..
    So current system fans arent traveling , schools losing money..
    Last edited by ebbearsfb1; 01-04-13 at 08:10 AM.

ebbearsfb1

Anyone checking in after last night

First 12