SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

Serious question: Are too many threads salooned?

Before you break the Y, E and S keys keep in mind how cluttered PT can become without some basic moderation.

Players Talk is a very busy forum as it is. But some of the threads seem to get the early hook particularly the ones critical of SBR and staff. Even a couple of my intelligently written political threads were sent packing .

What's your opinion? About right? A little too much salooning or its out of control?

DudleyDawson
    DudleyDawson's Avatar Become A Pro!

Couldn't care less. Will the Saints cover tonight?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BIGDAY, and pavyracer

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Sammy thinks MORE threads should be moved to Saloon or appropriate sub-forum

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Saloon this shit

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Done pretty well. There's a fine line on the threads that are not about sports but regard PT and its posters. Sometimes they should stay, sometimes they should go, it is a judgement call and will never make everyone happy. Maybe a few more should stay, but overall SBR does a solid job of tossing stuff to the saloon.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Sammy had a talk with Kenny Boy about this subject once...

Flip side of the coin: Just have a 'free for all' main forum and let the market (posters' replies or bumps) decide what stays on the front page

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

More to Saloon. I'm available for hire, No need to pay me, I'll let you take 5pts a day from me to allow me to do it.

And after the 5th offense of me moving a thread to the wrong forum, you can ban me for 26 days, but I go up to 14 pts a day received.

Only avail - Mon-Fri 5am-5pm Sometimes earlier, sometimes later....

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Y key E key S key

Get rid of the saloon period

Its a fukkin ghost town

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

no the saloon is awesome, its where you go to see who the losers are for the day

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

I can't tell the difference when a thread is salooned. You must be doing a great job. Fyi, I never venture into the saloon.

GiveMeaBJ
    WIN WIN WIN
    GiveMeaBJ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 335

Wheres this saloon

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

Certain posters should be perma salooned

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

I think it's pretty good right now with what is moved and what isn't. At first it was a bit annoying, but seems like things have been tweaked and it's fair now.

Mikeyanks23
    Welcome to Darkhat Nation
    Mikeyanks23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2046

business as usual

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by boeing power View Post
    Saloon this shit
    Dammit!! I came here specifically to say this!

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

GOIRISH
    GOIRISH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1128

Why is it that i see threads in players talk and saloon at the same time ?

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff
    downsouth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25123

No, send more. People should really have a quota on how many moron threads they can start a day.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Quote Originally Posted by GOIRISH View Post
    Why is it that i see threads in players talk and saloon at the same time ?
    If a poster makes a video for SBR it'll get linked both places. Figure if someone is willing to put in that much effort for the forum then they deserve to get as much airtime as possible... some people like me head specifically to the Saloon first each day as that's where all the fun stuff is.

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

Quote Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
    No, send more. People should really have a quota on how many moron threads they can start a day.
    this.

I proposed this in the suggestions for 2013 thread..
    Should be a limit of 2 threads a day..

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by ebbearsfb1 View Post
    this.

I proposed this in the suggestions for 2013 thread..
    Should be a limit of 2 threads a day..
    I think there are very few people whom that would even apply to. During the election it was insane... some people were making 15+ political threads a day in PT and the majority of posters were over it. But that's once every 4yrs so that's understandable. If someone has an NBA play, wants to discuss the lines for a NCAAF game, then has a problem with a book, finds another towel of tt's, etc... I don't think they should be limited. Most guys here aren't attention whores. The ones who get a bit manic and start to disrupt the forum usually get a PM asking them to chill for a while and they do. I get where you're coming from but I think in the last month especially PT has been awesome for just sports, gambling strategy and the odd SBR related thing until the thread gets derailed by a lot of milk duds and snickerdoodles and then gets moved. Too many cavities

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

no, i'd say its a good job right now

Sledge187
    Sledge187's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5949

Yes! The Saloon is ok but "Players Talk" is king.

Smoke

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    If a poster makes a video for SBR it'll get linked both places. Figure if someone is willing to put in that much effort for the forum then they deserve to get as much airtime as possible... some people like me head specifically to the Saloon first each day as that's where all the fun stuff is.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

I think the mods mostly do a good job of moving threads.

I think the differences being stated in what a PT worthy thread and Saloon worthy thread is more the issue that needs to be addressed. I think from staff to staff the idea changes, just as I've seen SBR JOHN himself question why a mod moved a certain thread somewhere, and then move it back himself.

just get people on the same page. 95% of the time when people squawk about the moving of a thread, it is just a pride issue and they feel disrespected and they go on tilt.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Yes too many threads are salooned..

I don't come to players talk to talk about sports and shit... If I want to talk about sports, I'll go to the sub forums or talk to the bum sitting outside the 7-11...

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    Dude I love the Saloon! I always have. When I first started lurking here I remember seeing really funny threads with the old crew in PT that were totally not gambling or sports related and they'd get buried quite quickly if a few games were on. Stuff talking about gf's/wives and who's going to fight who or something crazy they found online but 30 threads about college ball would send them to the 2nd page and they'd die. Now I know when I want gambling stuff I go to the subforums first...any thread started in PT that's sports related unless it's totally obscure ie whose ear will Tyson bite next, will be mirrored in a subforum anyway. If I just want to see what the comedians and guys who post interesting random stuff are up to - which is usually what I want first thing in the morning - I head to the Saloon. If I want to see what ppl have to say about SBR, I go to PT. But mainly I just use "view new posts" anyway. Not sure why anyone wouldn't.

Smoke

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    Dude I love the Saloon! I always have. When I first started lurking here I remember seeing really funny threads with the old crew in PT that were totally not gambling or sports related and they'd get buried quite quickly if a few games were on. Stuff talking about gf's/wives and who's going to fight who or something crazy they found online but 30 threads about college ball would send them to the 2nd page and they'd die. Now I know when I want gambling stuff I go to the subforums first...any thread started in PT that's sports related unless it's totally obscure ie whose ear will Tyson bite next, will be mirrored in a subforum anyway. If I just want to see what the comedians and guys who post interesting random stuff are up to - which is usually what I want first thing in the morning - I head to the Saloon. If I want to see what ppl have to say about SBR, I go to PT. But mainly I just use "view new posts" anyway. Not. Too sure why anyone wouldn't.
    Ok you win shari. I'll check it out. Toodles

boatboatboat
    what the hell is this?
    boatboatboat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

SBR Mods

Monitor-Tan
    Tony Romo of Daily Fantasy
    Monitor-Tan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 428

Not enough are salooned..

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Yes. Way too many threads are being salooned.

The reason people like to post in players talk is b/c it's busy and it's easier to get a discussion going in here.

The saloon is where threads go to die. Especially the threads that have to do with sports betting. The saloon should be for off topic personal shit.

SBR is pretty cool though. I even hear about it being advertised on the radio. You guys have come along way. congratulations.

I bet SBR Lou has a house that rivals Lebron James

boatboatboat
    what the hell is this?
    boatboatboat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

John is the one with the huge house.

Click here to see his house

shari91

Big Bear... if you ever see a sports or gambling related thread Salooned - other than when someone is trolling for a forum bookie - please let us know, even if you just PM me. Those threads shouldn't be Salooned... chances are the poster themselves started the thread there but we always move them to PT and mirror them in the appropriate subforum if we catch them. The only sports/gambling threads you should see in the Saloon are videos which have been copied from PT or things that have "diverted from xxx" in the title because we've moved posts that have gone a bit out there.

RogueScholar
    Chairman Of The Board
    RogueScholar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    Sammy thinks MORE threads should be moved to Saloon or appropriate sub-forum
    I concur with Sammy on this one.

The reason the Saloon still retains this stigma of "where threads go to die" is because of the double standard in selecting threads for it. Why do people who make videos about non-gambling related topics earn a pass out of the Saloon? The content perfectly fits the reason the Saloon exists, so stick with that and let it be known as the place to go to get a chuckle when you're done talking gambling for the day.

I'm with Shari in that the Saloon is my first stop at SBR, and my only complaint about it is that SBR has yet to force the majority of PT posters to adopt both places as a home. All you're doing when you move non-gambling videos into PT or s-link a thread to the Saloon instead of outright moving it is giving people every reason never to go to the Saloon.

So many of SBR's complaints stem from the capriciousness of their decision making as it relates to the forum; simply end that once and for all and start treating everyone equally. Doesn't matter if you're JJ, Brock or IWin, you make a thread/video about something non-gambling related, it's Saloon-only. It won't take long before you finally see the Saloon fulfill its destiny as a vibrant part of SBR as opposed to the penalty box for posters without the clout to keep their threads in PT.

EDIT: The hardest part, without a doubt, will be realizing that a lot of the sports banter currently in PT rightfully belongs in the Saloon. People will scream bloody murder at first when you move their Hall of Fame or trade rumour threads to the Saloon, but if you're serious about making both forums work, you have to concede that idle speculation about sports is Saloon material, not PT. However, the vacuum created should lead to more people making gambling threads in PT because they'll stay on page one longer and get more replies.
    Last edited by RogueScholar; 11-29-12 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Added more
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: PittsburghPlayer

darkhat
    darkhat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

no clue what that fukkin cellar even is

don't even click it

Smoke

Quote Originally Posted by darkhat View Post
    no clue what that fukkin cellar even is

don't even click it

12 Last