Stelio Kontos
    Stelio Kontos's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

A bit of honesty

I made my first wager in 2009 when I saw that the Florida Gators were favored by 73 over Charleston Southern. I thought the line was ridiculous. I took the dog and won. I never should have made that bet. It made me think that gambling was easy.

I got slaughtered by the books my first two years. Year 3 was a small loss. This is my first year making a profit in football (NCAA and NFL combined). I finally understand how to handicap and look at games individually. I still make some bad decisions but overall I have a handle on money management and I know how to pick my spots.

I want to branch out and start out betting basketball but I have no idea what I am doing.

What do you guys look at in capping basketball? What stats are most important? Are coaching angles as strong as they are in football? Are their advantages to betting halves and quarters with teams that are on road trips?

Please teach me. I will be a sponge of learning.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: LostBankroll

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

fade landers and lang.

Stelio Kontos

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    fade landers and lang.

I was on the Lang fade train during bowl season last year....so much fun.

cankid
    cankid's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10352

an important stat is assist/turnovers ratios

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

I went through a similar process and now I win because I'm near broke and don't make rash decisions. With basketball, you have to think of the last two minutes, it comes down to that. If you believe a team will win, take the ML or take points with an underdog. You'll get screwed many times in the last few minutes trying to cover the spread with a favorite while they give up an easy layup at the end. NBA lines are sharp, college can be taken advantage of if you know the teams, their depth, FT% and size/rebounding.

Also what I've learned recently is if you have a bad few days and have no confidence, take a break. You don't win in the long run when you don't feel confident in your picks and are just pushing the issue to make a pick.
    Last edited by Cuse0323; 11-20-12 at 02:02 AM.
    Points Awarded:

Stelio Kontos gave Cuse0323 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Louisvillekid1 gave Cuse0323 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Stelio Kontos

Quote Originally Posted by cankid View Post
    an important stat is assist/turnovers ratios
    By team or by starting 5?

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10288

Consider betting 1st Halves.

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Untied
    Untied's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

??????

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

nobody can "teach" you how to be a successful basketball handicapper by listing a few tips. The truth is something you realize, not something you are told.

get all the info you can about a few select teams, preferably under the radar ones, and pick a couple spots to make large bets

Stelio Kontos

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    nobody can "teach" you how to be a successful basketball handicapper by listing a few tips. The truth is something you realize, not something you are told.

get all the info you can about a few select teams, preferably under the radar ones, and pick a couple spots to make large bets
    I got you...I see what you are saying. What "info" is most important to gather? FT percentage? A 5 game trend of 3 point percentage?

I understand why I lose in football. You can't predict turnovers or injuries. But I obviously understand that 2 defensive teams with strong running games are going to score less so I can make an informed decision to bet the under. I can look at the pass defense statistics of the Bucs and Saints and make an informed decision to bet the over.

In basketball I will have no idea why I lose or win.

When I see a line like School of the Blind - 4 in basketball I have no idea what that means. Are there key numbers in basketball like the the 3 and 7 in football?

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

not really any key numbers in hoops, i would pretty much focus on a few teams and wait for good spots to bet them. sounds silly but if you get a feel for a team there are going to be times when you feel strongly that they will cover.

injuries are very important in college hoops, and not too many people pay attention to them, they aren't publicized much for "off the radar" teams