opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Any fellow softball dads out there??

My 5 year old is finishing her first season of coach pitch, and here's the deal.....she kicks ass!

I realize everyone thinks their kid is the best, and I'm certainly guilty of that, but in this case it's true. She is.

I've pretty much spent my whole life laughing at women's sports.....and now I'm addicted to girls softball.
    It consumes most of my life now. Going to practices, games, private lessons once a week. Totally nuts. But I absolutely love it. There's nothing quite like watching the person you love more than anything in the world excel at something. As weird as it sounds....it's better than even doing it yourself.

So....any of you guys doing the kids softball/baseball thing? Anyone have a kid playing travel ball? That's what we have online for next year.

I'd love to hear any suggestions or experiences from some of you who have already been down this road.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Extra Innings

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

I dont have any kids yet, but I am a baseball instructor at a local indoor facility.

Absolutely love working with kids and seeing them excel and get excited about succeeding. I cant even imagine how enjoyable it's going to be when I have my own.

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

opie very smart to get her going now, there are some good select travel teams around tyler and over here

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

I pretend like I am, while I sit in the stands taking pictures.

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

what u taking pictures of gates???

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post
    Fukkin' gates

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Softball is the best women's sport out there. Very fast paced and strategy-oriented. They didn't stick a bunch of girls/women on a regulation baseball field; instead they adjusted things to make it its own game. Of all women's sports, this is definitely the most digestable.

Blondie
    Blondie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 73

Does softball mom count?
    Travel ball tips.

Buy a canopy if you don't already own one. You will thank me for this when it is 100+ degrees outside in the shade.

Bring snacks (watermelon, strawberries etc to tournaments young girls eat a lot in between games and it beats filling them with sugar and crap)

MAke friends with the ones that have been doing it for years, they are the ones that will know what is going on. (if they have older kids that played travel ball this helps immenselly.)

Be prepared to spend 50-100 easily each day of each tournament. Merchandise...

If she wants to pitch or catch start her now! Lessons etc. It will be worth it down the road.

Invest in quality equipment. Cleats, sliding pad, sliding shorts etc. Yeah she will grow out of them, but it's better to have one really good pair then a pair that will fall apart. Also invest in a pair that is cheap and leave it in the vehicle. (for those bad days when something gets forgotten at home and you are hours away)

High quality lawn chairs (you will be spending a lot of time in these A LOT)

Always bring lots of drinks, always.

Always pack and umbrella. Again always

Before you purchase a bat, make sure it meets standards for the travel league.

If possible buy an extra pair of socks, again just trust me on this one.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: nosniboR11, and William Walters

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

As far as the travel teams opie, be careful. It can be done, but balance is needed. A buddy of mine caught the "bug" like you have and made sure his two girls were on traveling teams from age 8 on. It consumed their lives. No time for anything else. He was a volunteer coach. It was like he joined a cult; we never heard from him again.

His girls didn't try anything else either -- no volleyball, basketball, choir, student senate, etc. Where does this road lead, I asked him? Are your girls going to become pro softball players? Nothing wrong with the travel teams as long as you don't make it your entire existence.

Remember, you're still molding their young minds. You don't want them to think that putting all of your eggs into one basket is the way to go through life my friend.

William Walters

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    My 5 year old is finishing her first season of coach pitch, and here's the deal.....she kicks ass!

I realize everyone thinks their kid is the best, and I'm certainly guilty of that, but in this case it's true. She is.

I've pretty much spent my whole life laughing at women's sports.....and now I'm addicted to girls softball.
    It consumes most of my life now. Going to practices, games, private lessons once a week. Totally nuts. But I absolutely love it. There's nothing quite like watching the person you love more than anything in the world excel at something. As weird as it sounds....it's better than even doing it yourself.

So....any of you guys doing the kids softball/baseball thing? Anyone have a kid playing travel ball? That's what we have online for next year.

I'd love to hear any suggestions or experiences from some of you who have already been down this road.
    I've seen it with my own eyes people...........Opie's 5 year old mashes!

88.....do they really have travel ball for 6 year old girls in Texas?

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

I'll be down that road in a couple years with my daughters.

My dad always told me that watching me play through youth football and wrestling was one of the funnest times. I swear He'd be more excited than I was at times.

Enjoy!

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post

Oh fawkkk

William Walters

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    As far as the travel teams opie, be careful. It can be done, but balance is needed. A buddy of mine caught the "bug" like you have and made sure his two girls were on traveling teams from age 8 on. It consumed their lives. No time for anything else. He was a volunteer coach. It was like he joined a cult; we never heard from him again. His girls didn't try anything else either -- no volleyball, basketball, choir, student senate, etc. Where does this road lead, I asked him? Are your girls going to become pro softball players? Nothing wrong with the travel teams as long as you don't make it your entire existence.
    Settle down Nocoin..............Opie will start his own professional softball league if necessary. Guy is an oil man ya know.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by nosniboR11 View Post
    what u taking pictures of gates???

My Niece...I'm the one with all electronics in the family....She's 7. Nothing creepy until she hits high school, then I'll be taking photo's of her teammates.

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by William Walters View Post
    I've seen it with my own eyes people...........Opie's 5 year old mashes!

88.....do they really have travel ball for 6 year old girls in Texas?

Actually, it starts at 7. But the coaches all think she would be more than ready by next fall, when she would've just turned 6.

I know what you're saying NoCoin. It would be easy to get all-consumed with this. We definitely want her to experience other things. She's done gymnastics for 3 years now, so we've made it a priority that she continues going to gymnastics practice at least one night a week.

Trust me, this is the LAST thing on earth I ever thought I'd be into. But, as you said, chic's softball is pretty damn entertaining.

And Blondie....I 100% believe you in regards to the cost. I've already spent a fortune on this. I'm like a kid whenever a new bat shows up. Its absolutely insane.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Blondie

Also, buy her a helmet. Do NOT let her wear anyone else's helmet or the teams' helmets.

Softball sunglasses.

Opie, it's only just beginning... it really is. We had two girls in last year and well over 1k was spent by the end of the season between travel costs, hotel rooms, equipment and of course the $30 t shirts that they just must have at each tournament.

Watch out for the women that will get kicked out during games. It's a very serious sport for some and can get very ugly at times.
    Last edited by Blondie; 11-08-12 at 12:19 PM. Reason: added

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    Also, buy her a helmet. Do NOT let her wear anyone else's helmet or the teams' helmets.

Oh, she's had her own Easton low-profile since day one. I also have insisted on her wearing a fielders mask. She plays pitcher and first base, so I'm not taking any chances on her getting a ball in the face.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Trust me, this is the LAST thing on earth I ever thought I'd be into. But, as you said, chic's softball is pretty damn entertaining.
    Have you taken your daughter to a high school or college game? You'll appreciate the nuances of the game itself in a hurry.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

My son hits 377ft homers...

But I inject Test and Tren weekly in his buttocks.

Think about it..

Blondie

Oh, she's had her own Easton low-profile since day one. I also have insisted on her wearing a fielders mask. She plays pitcher and first base, so I'm not taking any chances on her getting a ball in the face.
    ahhh yes face masks completely forgot about that one! Face masks are mandatory around here for all pitchers, first and third base players. Technically I think all infield but those are the ones they push the most.

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Have you taken your daughter to a high school or college game? You'll appreciate the nuances of the game itself in a hurry.
    Not yet, but we already have that planned. Going to take a couple of road trips this spring to both Univ of Texas and Texas A&M.

We really want her to see how awesome it is at that level.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

MeatWad
    MeatWad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 221

Quote Originally Posted by King Mayan View Post
    My son hits 377ft homers...

But I inject Test and Tren weekly in his buttocks.

Think about it..
    Definitely the best way to ensure you get that NCAA I scholarship, nasty side effects I've heard.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Ive seen parents play their kids up to older ages and the kid forgets what its like to dominate. They realize just because they can hang it's not as good for development which is why it's good they do both. Especially when they don't get to play in their social circles which is more important for girls. Then there is some girls like this who just want to tear it up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/interne...ouchdowns.html

Bigbill365
    Big Money Bettors
    Bigbill365's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1016

yeah i have to take mine today i just dont have enough for gas to get up to the diamond at the park

hels
    hels's Avatar Become A Pro!

boatboatboat
    what the hell is this?
    boatboatboat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

get your daughter playing golf.

if she takes honor classes in HS and can shoot a 40, she can get quite a bit of help with college courses. Title 9 has made golf the "golden ticket" for gurls.

MeatWad

Quote Originally Posted by boatboatboat View Post
    get your daughter playing golf.

if she takes honor classes in HS and can shoot a 40, she can get quite a bit of help with college courses. Title 9 has made golf the "golden ticket" for gurls.
    Good advice, I second this. The richest girl in my HS class went to Northwestern nearly for free from playing golf about as well as I could shoot at the time. I had poor parents and had to work my ass off to get an academic scholarship to the same school.

William Walters

Quote Originally Posted by hels View Post
    Kid on first needs to stick to academics. Kid on the mound needs a spanking.

frizzelli
    frizzelli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Well its nice that you can provide your child with all these luxuries and yet you continue to miss your monthly child payments on the kid I am raising for you.
    Points Awarded:

opie1988 gave frizzelli 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

opie1988

Like I've said, frizzy...should I suffer simply because she was too irresponsible to take a tiny pill?

I think not.

Nevertheless, threw you a point to help out.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

MeatWad

Quote Originally Posted by frizzelli View Post
    Well its nice that you can provide your child with all these luxuries and yet you continue to miss your monthly child payments on the kid I am raising for you.
    And yes, the 1 SBR point you received constitutes your monthly child support, don't spend it in one place.

allabout the $$$
    Update your status
    allabout the $$$'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26823

opie i personally think 5 is a little bit to young for a trainer and travel ball. im sure she is good but at her young tender age do you really want her to be so competitive? i coach boys basketball i dont have a kid on a team so im looking at things from an objective perspective. i only coach cyo and we just travel around nassau county in long island they dont start playing until 3rd grade. there are other leagues that start younger but they are basically instructional. my daughter who is in 8th grade has been playing volleyball since 5th grade she is on her high school team, was on a cyo team, and a travel team. seeing her succeed has been great and you are right you will never get another feeling like that, but this year she is not playing her cyo team because they dont try as hard as she does which is good but all of her so called friends are on that team and she has alienated herself from them because of her competitive nature. im a very competitive man in my own right but to see her not want to enjoy playing a sport with her friends is a little bit disturbing to me yes you step on the court you want to win but enjoy what you are doing.

this will happen and you can take this to the bank if your daughter starts playing above her age she will get a big head no matter how hard you try to keep her grounded it will happen. i take pride and so does my daughter she is known as the 8th grader who is a really good volleyball player and it is very hard to bring her back to earth. so be very careful what you wish for the good times are very rewarding but just like everything else in life there is usually a downside to it.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Blondie

frizzelli
    frizzelli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by MeatWad View Post
    And yes, the 1 SBR point you received constitutes your monthly child support, don't spend it in one place.
    Unfukkinreal this cheap prick, he owns 6 different oil companies and he gives me 7 cents. Fuk him

Pew Pew
    Banned
    Pew Pew's Avatar Become A Pro!

Can sbr add a forum for old people only?

allabout the $$$
    Update your status
    allabout the $$$'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26823

Quote Originally Posted by Pew Pew View Post
    Can sbr add a forum for old people only?
    ok fukking smart ass what do you consider old?

123 Last