stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32787

(Are you kidding me?) Rangers Josh Hamilton wants 7 years, $175 million in free ageny

Josh Hamilton is hoping to find a team to pay him $175 million over seven years, a source told Baseball Prospectus' John Perrotto this week.
    Hamilton, who hits free agency after spending the last five seasons with the Rangers, is widely viewed as the top position player available, but he could have trouble finding a team willing to invest that kind of cash in him.
    Though such a deal wouldn't match the length of the contract Albert Pujols secured from the Los Angeles Angels last off-season, it would put Hamilton on par in terms of average annual salary at $25 million.
    A year ago, a 31-year-old Pujols signed a 10-year, $254 million deal with the Angels after playing at least 147 games and putting up an OPS of .997 or better in eight of his previous nine seasons.
    Hamilton, also 31, only had one year with an OPS above 1.000 and struggled to stay healthy during his time in Texas, missing an average of 32 games a season. Beyond that, Hamilton's history with drug and alcohol addiction could give teams another reason to shy away from a long-term commitment.
    For all of his obvious talents and flaws, predicting the market for Hamilton's services has been unusually tough. Some analysts seem to think he'll have a hard time securing more than a three- or four-year deal, while others think a team will eventually crack and offer five, six or even seven years.
    But one thing seems sure: If Hamilton finds a team willing to meet that reported $175 million asking price, it almost certainly won't be Texas.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32787

Every GM in the game has to know that Hamilton is fragile as balsa wood, not to mention he's like a shot of bourbon away from waking up under the, or in the bottle.

Want to take a gamble and give him, say 3 years 65 mil, that's one thing, but he's crazy to think he's getting 7 years, 25 mil per.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1710

Already back on the Drugs.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

yeah i think he has too many question marks/injury prone to get a 7 year deal but who knows?

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

very simple solution

he fails a whiz quiz and contract is fukkin terminated(the union might fight that though) not sure

That being said any GM that is willing to give him that kind of money should be shot in the fukkin head

Way too big a risk

wouldnt give him more then 3 yrs-60 million

guy is one bad day away from being a full on crackhead again, if he isnt already

mynameismud
    mynameismud's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8427

no way he gets 7 years. the guy has at least a few hundred more relapses in him. 2 years max if i were a gm.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2260

He's gotta have his agent start with that stance, he knows he won't get it

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Sounds about right

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

days of big contracts are over in baseball

no one is making fukkin 25 million a year anymore

and no one is getting a 200 million dollar contract

teams scared shitless after the way Pujols looked this year and the disaster that will be the end of Aroid's contract

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Sure thats the smart offer, but everyone is going to offer that. Someone is going to go over the top and give him close to what he wants.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Pay the man

MeatWad
    MeatWad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 221

Paying anyone this much for this long is trouble. Always better to find the younger hungrier players on the rise, not bloated superstars on the brink of dropping off. Much better output/$ to be found than paying anyone $25 million/yr when he is likely to decline before the contract ends.

tto827

Quote Originally Posted by MeatWad View Post
    Paying anyone this much for this long is trouble. Always better to find the younger hungrier players on the rise, not bloated superstars on the brink of dropping off. Much better output/$ to be found than paying anyone $25 million/yr when he is likely to decline before the contract ends.
    And for every hungry player you find that hits .300 with 30 home runs, I'll find you 3,000 that don't get to the Mendoza line.

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

i'd think someone with his personality type and demons would have a hard time making that much money. how does he even comprehend that kind of excess?

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1515

Would he take $500 in Meth instead???

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1515

His answer to that is yes.

MeatWad
    MeatWad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 221

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    And for every hungry player you find that hits .300 with 30 home runs, I'll find you 3,000 that don't get to the Mendoza line.
    Of those 3000 most don't make it to the majors. For the ones who do, it is much easier to move on if you are not locked into a long term high dollar contract.

Pujols wins a world championship then goes to a higher payroll team and doesn't even make the playoffs. A Rod and others, you never get your $/output when you overextend financially for one player. Ask the NYY how it has worked for them the past decade+.

vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

some depsrate team will cave him

but for hamilton...many of the desparate teams are off the market...that is angels, dodgers, tigers and yankees.

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

these long term baseball deals need to stop

look at vernon wells, a rod.. same probably happens with pujols

GamblerSpirit
    TheCentaur, Spankie gone fishing :(
    GamblerSpirit's Avatar Become A Pro!

That's a lot of money for coke.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    Would he take $500 in Meth instead???
    No. He could buy 175 million in meth with this contract.

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough
    Killer_Demo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4201

i wonder if he'd accept a kilo of mexican crystal as proper payment fuckin tweaker

darko3131
    Update your status
    darko3131's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Will take over Mike Hampton as the worst contract in baseball history if it goes down.

tto827

Quote Originally Posted by MeatWad View Post
    Of those 3000 most don't make it to the majors. For the ones who do, it is much easier to move on if you are not locked into a long term high dollar contract.

Pujols wins a world championship then goes to a higher payroll team and doesn't even make the playoffs. A Rod and others, you never get your $/output when you overextend financially for one player. Ask the NYY how it has worked for them the past decade+.
    Whose done better in the past decade, the yankees and Red Sox, or the A's and Kansas City? I agree you do not get the value of the contract, but if you have that money to spend, Hamilton is a guy I would spend it on.

And you'd have to give each of those guys a shot, so lets say it takes 6 guys to get your man, thats like 5 seasons with average players as opposed to Hamilton.

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER
    CollegeOverUnder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 217

Wow if the Giants give Hamilton a 7 year contract im gonna be furious. I want the guy on the team but not for 7 fking years. He will manage to fuk up the team somehow if he is on the roster that long. 2-4 years at the most fuk that 7 year shit. The only player worth that many years right now is Buster Posey ( For the Giants atleast ) And there are even talks of giving him a 8 year contract. But Posey isnt 31 years old! Even Posey is looking at a 6 year contract right now and he is a kid compared to Hamilton

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough
    Killer_Demo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4201

Sf managment wont touch josh...sf likes potheads not shard snorters and drunks

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Opie88 will pay Hamilton $175 million.

That's pocket change for the big guy.

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

no one is going to sign him for anywhere close to 7 years. he could very well return to the rangers for a 3 to 4 year deal when all said and done.

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

you would think gms would learn from pujols and arod

no baseball player is worth over 20 million a year

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3165

I guess you aim high and settle for less. Can't see Hamilton getting that kind of money/commitment. But you never know.

5teamparlay
    WINNING!!!
    5teamparlay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

Red Sox Free Agency: Josh Hamilton

Posted by Josh Feitknecht & filed under Boston Red Sox, MLB.
    Tweet
    Team Tailgate Shop

Josh Hamilton has been one of the best talents in the Major League Baseball for awhile now. Could Boston be a landing spot for him?

This offseason became a lot more interesting last week when the Toronto Blue Jays and Florida Marlins made a blockbuster trade. Toronto shipped some of it’s better prospects off to Florida for three of it’s best players: Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle. Toronto, based solely on perception, is now a better team and will look to compete with an already deep division.

The Red Sox have been a little more quiet to this point, which is surprising and unsurprising at the same time. However, one name that will tempt many teams including the Red Sox is Josh Hamilton. The Red Sox have some concerns about their outfield with Cody Ross unsigned and Torii Hunter signing with Detroit. Jacoby Ellsbury is arbitration eligible and Ryan Kalish may be ready to take a spot, but that leaves some opening for debate. Hamilton has been one of the best in the game for several seasons. He is an MVP candidate almost every year. There is no question he brings talent. Talent is always something the Red Sox are interested in, along with every other team. The Red Sox have in years past not been shy about spending and Ben Cherington has reassured the fans and media that they are prepared to spend to make the team better, but their actions so far have proven they aren’t going to rush into making any lucrative offers.

Hamilton’s price tag could be high. Could it be worth it though? I believe he is worth it but I am not sure if he is worth it to the Red Sox. The Red Sox have had a more consistent issue with pitching than scoring runs. I tend to believe that making a trade or signing for a pitcher is of more importance than signing an outfielder that doesn’t have the name Cody Ross. Hamilton brings talent as I mentioned but he also brings some personal baggage. In the past Hamilton has had substance abuse issues with alcohol and drugs and has gotten plenty of help with those issues. The Texas Rangers have been extremely supportive of Hamilton and have created an atmosphere that he has thrived in. I truly believe that despite their comments on free agency status that he has a substantial chance of staying in Texas. I don’t want to count the Red Sox out of the conversation, especially if they can make a deal with Mike Napoli, Hamilton’s teammate. Hamilton has had tremendous success at Fenway Park and other American League East ballparks so he may be intrigued by the opportunity to play in Boston.

Boston has been home to many talented and obscure personalities before and Hamilton is surely no worse than any of those players. Could he end up in Boston? There may be a chance he does. Could he continue to be the caliber player he is for years to come? I don’t think there is any doubt. Will you be tuned in to see what happens all offseason and beyond for the Red Sox? I hope you do.
    Last edited by sbr.rodrigo; 08-21-14 at 10:10 AM.

detroitlionsfan
    detroitlionsfan's Avatar Become A Pro!

sanfran to smart to get him

whatever team lands him will be one of the dumber clubs in baseball , not a ws contender

vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

san fran wont repeat the mistake they made with barry zito.

psbaseballfan27
    psbaseballfan27's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4010

I think any team that gives him more than a four year deal will be looking back at the deal as a major mistake.

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Steinbrenner woulda jumped on this offer if he was still alive lol

12 Last