No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

If you made millions of dollars a year, would you still be passionate about winning?

I was thinking about this the other day during the reaction to KG's cold-shoulder treatment of Ray Allen. Some people objected, but others said it was a breath of fresh air because that's the way it "used to be" and athletes are too buddy buddy with opposing teams and players these days.

Don't you think money is the most obvious difference in today's game vs. the "glory days of yesteryear"? Fans who literally eat, sleep, breathe, live and die with the result of their favorite teams from week to week want these pros to go all out on every play and share the same unbridled passion for winning that they do, but I just don't see it happening anymore.

Let's be serious: if you were on the other side of the fence, making $20 million a year playing baseball and it's 100 degrees in August, or you're a running back getting pounded by freak-of-nature linebackers in 25 degree weather, or you're an NBA player on the last leg of a 6-day, 5-game road trip, and you have guaranteed money in the bank regardless, would you actually give a shit about winning and losing?

It's interesting that the crazier and more rabid the fanbases seem to get, the less these players care about wins and losses. Never thought I'd see the day when the athletes have a better sense of perspective and head on their shoulders about reality vs. the fans that cheer for them, but I think it's come to that.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

First off, great post.
    Secondly, it just depends on the individual athlete, there's no way to group them all together for any purposes. Some guys have the drive to keep getting better, even if they are already the best (Kobe, MJ, Lebron, Durant). And others settle (I think it was Jamal Crawford, said he had never worked on his jumper before), obviously he didn't feel the need to get better.

They always want to win, but its about whose willing to give 110% on a bad day if that's what it's going to take.

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

ask this guy

fielder was laughing his way to the bank after getting swept by SF in the WS

not one hitter charged the mound this season after being plunked

games have softened a lot

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    First off, great post.
    Secondly, it just depends on the individual athlete, there's no way to group them all together for any purposes. Some guys have the drive to keep getting better, even if they are already the best (Kobe, MJ, Lebron, Durant). And others settle (I think it was Jamal Crawford, said he had never worked on his jumper before), obviously he didn't feel the need to get better.
    Thanks.

I suppose you're right that it varies from team to team and even athlete to athlete, but even the ones who truly care tend to "pace" themselves a lot more these days than they used to. In other words, if you expect your favorite player to give 110% every single play, pitch or snap, that's just not realistic anymore. They still want to win, but they're also protecting themselves because they're individual investments and franchises more than anything else nowadays.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbawks View Post
    ask this guy

fielder was laughing his way to the bank after getting swept by SF in the WS

not one hitter charged the mound this season after being plunked

games have softened a lot
    True, but at least Prince played every day and usually does.

Does he care that the Tigers were swept in the World Series? Relatively speaking yes, but to the average die-hard Tiger fan, he's probably way too apathetic.

So do you hate him for that, envy him that he can be that way and make $20 million a year regardless, or respect him that it's just a game and not his end-all be-all?

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

No big time fights in what seme like several years. I for one know for a fact I wouldn't care about winning or losing, especially nba/nfl because it's only half the year.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by greenhippo View Post
    No big time fights in what seme like several years. I for one know for a fact I wouldn't care about winning or losing, especially nba/nfl because it's only half the year.
    Yeah, you want to be mad at them but truth be told, if you had the money guaranteed either way, it'd be hard for any of us to find the motivation.

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    True, but at least Prince played every day and usually does.

Does he care that the Tigers were swept in the World Series? Relatively speaking yes, but to the average die-hard Tiger fan, he's probably way too apathetic.

So do you hate him for that, envy him that he can be that way and make $20 million a year regardless, or respect him that it's just a game and not his end-all be-all?
    remember seeing players crying after losses, how much does that happen anymore? hese guys dedicate their lives to a sport and act like they could care less after they choke. too much money involved these days

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15307

I played PLO with Greg Raymer a few weeks ago. It was a $300 survivor format. Where you buy in for $300 and play for 2 hours and what ever chips you have at the end of the two hours you can convert to cash. Say you had a 100K bankroll this would still be somewhat meaningful as a good night you could add 1% to your bankroll. Now take a guy like Raymer who won close to 10 million. This tournament would be the equivalent of the guy with a 100K bankroll playing a $3 survivor tournament.

Greg played tight and even though he has tons of money he did not play reckless or spew of his chips doing dumb things.

Mantle7
    Death Stare
    Mantle7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 73

The first thing that came to mind were the Yankees. I'll never forget when Grandy struck out for the 3rd time of the night in a crucial situation and thr camera followed him into the dugout and kept it on him for a second. It was if they almost waiting to get some kind of reaction out of him and I swear the guy acted like he just a hit a homerun. Even cracked a smile.

I think it just depends on the person , though. Either you're born with a competitive nature or you're not. I don't think money can change that if it's strong enough. There's a sense of pride that go's along with winning and losing and nobody likes their pride hurt.

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Most athletes don't care if they win or lose sadly.

Therefore fans need to not take it too seriously either .

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

This is where the great players shine. The money is just money, you can buy everything, but winning is not for sale.

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Quote Originally Posted by byronbb View Post
    This is where the great players shine. The money is just money, you can buy everything, but winning is not for sale.
    Couldn't of said it better, Baruch HaShem

MeatWad
    MeatWad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 221

If you lose your passion, you become lifeless. Too many people just exist without being passionate about anything.

Passion comes from within and directly relates to enjoying life. Material wealth becomes boring after the initial novelty of having new possesions fades, passion endures and sustains the soul.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

With salary caps and trades and "Big 3" teams, the loyalty players have to teams and vice versa no longer exists. Players are commodities, rarely sticking around long enough to be "branded" and thus have the kind of loyalty we are used to seeing. Loyalty and youth do seem to be connected though, as players are more willing to "sell out" when their careers are nearing an end because all the money in the world can't get you a championship.

It has nothing to do with a passion to win, it has everything to do with market demand. The last good example I can think of was Roy Halladay resigning with the Toronto Blue Jays for less money because he felt the team would try to be competitive and he felt loyalty to management, the city, and its fans. Toronto did not compete and they lost him to the Phillies.

Simply put, players have limited shelf life these days, they can't be bothered trying to impress a bunch of mindless fans. They have bills to pay before their bodies give out.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

NO way. I'd want to win but the money would comfort the losses.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Yes because I'm competitive and never want to lose.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Quote Originally Posted by keyboarding View Post

Simply put, players have limited shelf life these days, they can't be bothered trying to impress a bunch of mindless fans. They have bills to pay before their bodies give out.