no gnu taxes
    no gnu taxes's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Minnesota Timberwolves Are Hoarding White Players To Boost Ticket Sales

http://www.businessinsider.com/black...ulated-2012-10

The Minnesota Timberwolves go into the season with only five black players on their 15-man roster, and some people are calling it a conspiracy.From Jerry Zgoda and Dennis Brackin of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune:

"How did we get a roster that resembles the 1955 Lakers?" asked Tyrone Terrell, chairman of St. Paul's African American leadership council. "I think everything is a strategy. Nothing happens by happenstance."
    That strategy, Terrell and others in the black community believe, is to sell tickets to the Wolves' fan base, which is overwhelmingly white.

Lou Amundson, JJ Barea, Chase Budinger, Andrei Kirilenko, Kevin Love, Nikola Pekovic, Luke Ridnour, Ricky Rubio, Alexey Shved, and Greg Stiemsma make up 2/3 of the T-Wolves roster, and they are all white.

Minnesota civil rights activist Ron Edwards thinks something is up too, and he told the paper, "It raises some real questions to me about what's really intended. I think, personally, that it was calculated. Is this an attempt to get fans back in the stands? Minnesota, after all, is a pretty white state.''

There are a few problems with this theory.

First of all, the T-Wolves sold 90.4% of their tickets last year, which ranked 14th in the league. Only two other non-playoff teams ranked in the top 15. And they did it with a majority black roster (8 out of 15 players). So they didn't have an attendance problem at all.

In addition, it's clear that the T-Wolves think there is a market inefficiency when it comes to international players. Five players on their roster are from other countries, which is double the league average (~2.5 in 2011-12). Since international players come from predominantly European countries, developing a team with an international focus is inherently going to shift the racial makeup of your roster.

It's not a race conspiracy, it's a calculated move to identify under-the-radar players that the rest of the league isn't looking at.

The theory that basketball fans are more likely to pay to watch white players than black players has been debunked by the last 30 years of NBA history. There's no chance the T-Wolves have a racist master plan in the works.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

I would love to see a team with a whitewash starting five.

You would think something like that would happen in Utah B4 anywhere else.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Wolves have issues

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15296

BASKETS is going to love this team.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

lots of teams with all black starting rosters. who cares if there's a white one, they're from all over the world anyway

Believeland
    The Dude minds
    Believeland's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 922

I think its racist that 85% of NBA is black! when are they going to stop crying

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

Least they got white guys who think they are black. The just need to go get Jason Williams now and sign vanilla ice as coach

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2311

BeantownJim is in full support of the TWolves

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are going to get to the bottom of this. Probably tell the Timberwolves to get them $500 million or they will tell the whole world that they are a bunch of racists.

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Blacks (such as "Tyrone Terrell, chairman of St. Paul's African American leadership council") just like to complain.

ElCapitan
    ElCapitan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 406

Guess we know who bet against every game.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

when will Rubio be able to play?

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

They won't be on national television anymore than they were last year. if they don't win, it won't matter what color the players are.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

thats absolutely riduculous... so the NBA is supposed to be majority black??? thats why i have a hard time liking the NBA. it's a bunch of niggaz playing street ball and they don't even try hard every night.

half the time they are resting up for the playoffs.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

only white dudes are usually european and they don't even count. we need more white americans

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15296

The white players motto seems to work well for BYU why can't it work for Minnesota?

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

i'm jk about the NBA needing more white players. the truth is white people usually suck at basketball. And it's all about winning.

i'm white and i play baseball and i would probably be in the major leagues right now if only americans were allowed to play. But i don't hate , the bottom line is it's all about winning and the hispanic ball players make up 90% of the major leagues b/c they are just better than we are.

its true. even the black people you see in the major leagues aren't really black. They are hispanic like Big Papi.

rosanne
    rosanne's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Must be a conspiracy, no doubt about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

El Sol
    El Sol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1802

Without a doubt its intentional. I own a business, and I hire regularly. I assure you there is prejudicial hiring despite what I might tell the world. Its human nature.

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

There is no doubt teams do this. If you are a black guy playing in Utah, guess what, behave or you're done.

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

too cold for the blacks

Bdolan33
    Bdolan33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2224

surprised its taken this long

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

5 white dudes that can't jump can't be the recipe for the nba championship...

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Yeah, Kevin Love is terrible. He's not black, guy should ride the pine. Blacks going to black.

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    OPIE is going to love this team.
    Fixed :-)

Popcorn Trick
    Popcorn Trick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 540

Let's get an SBR top ten reasons why The Twolves are going with more white guys...

10) Sick of sh*t being stolen out of the locker room

Dmoneytx
    Dmoneytx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 566

Quote Originally Posted by Popcorn Trick View Post
    Let's get an SBR top ten reasons why The Twolves are going with more white guys...

I won't contribute to this, but I would love to read a top 10 later tonight if people respond. Freaking hilarious!!!!!

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

9.) With declining ticket sales. could not afford to supply cocoa butter in the locker room.

Disko808
    Disko808's Avatar Become A Pro!

lol White is Back!

boosted1205
    boosted1205's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9690

Here we go again. Blacks crying racist. Blacks are racist just like any other race, maybe more. Every frickin time something about anything to do with blacks arise, they cry for someones head. Movie roles, sports, school , someone say the n word...whatever they expect to be treated better than all other race. Every time a black person becomes something newsworthy you see these high profile black activists asking for someones head.
    Blacks are racists pure and simple. They want free handouts and treated better because they're black ? Fuuck... go to school and educate yourselves rather than finding ways to rip people off , steal and finding ways to beat the welfare system.
    Last edited by boosted1205; 10-30-12 at 07:30 PM.

Popcorn Trick
    Popcorn Trick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 540

Quote Originally Posted by Popcorn Trick View Post

For the record. when people cry racism and it's unwarranted ( don't know if that's the case here) I like to throw out a little bit, in jest, in their honor...Don't care to believe things of this sort to be honest.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by El Sol View Post
    Without a doubt its intentional. I own a business, and I hire regularly. I assure you there is prejudicial hiring despite what I might tell the world. Its human nature.
    i havent looked recently but i remember one writer commenting around like 10 years ago that the 12th man on like 95% of nba teams was a white dude

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

the best way to boost ticket sales is to put a winning product on the court.

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

10 of 15 on the roster will be white, 4 of them starters

Let's win a Championship, men.

james4512
    james4512's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 139

there best two players are white so they probably have the majority of the say, aka no selfish assclowns that ruin teams just so happens more often of the time they are black

123 Last