no gnu taxes
    no gnu taxes's Avatar Become A Pro!

Don't be taken in by the storm hype

http://www.orangeville.com/opinion/c...-winter-column

As usual, the great hype machine was working overtime this week. A slow television news week resulted in the birth of "Frankenstorm."

Indeed, there were wind warnings and a potential for power outages, which materialized in some areas, but the local devestation 24-hour news channels led us to believe would happen is nowhere to be found.

Those channels have a lot of time to fill, and apparently they had little else to fill it with.

The impact of Hurricane Sandy is significant ... along the east coast.

My heart goes out to everyone affected by the storm in those areas, and the families of the people who were killed. I don't mean to belittle what they're going through.

It's the sensational approach taken by some members of the media that stick in my craw. They're an embarassment to us all.

There was no need to induce panic, or attempt it anyway.

The wind blows, power goes out. With the cemented arrival of autumn, both should be expected to happen more regularly.

As with in past events, we at The Banner did our best to present the information as it is known. It's then up to you to decide how best to respond to the situation.

I encourage everyone to look at the facts, not the overblown dramatic music and graphics of television. Nor, when considering local impact, to give much weight to photos and video from the the heart of the storm (at least when its as far off as its was in this case).

That's not to say I don't believe in being prepared. It's a good idea to have your emergency supplies ready, whether or not television news is predicting the end of the world as we know it.

My wife and I boiled several jugs of water (for baby formula) and bottled some more just in case, and she made a trip to the store for extra batteries and a couple flashlights, and stopped at a bank machine to take out some cash too.

Our emergency supplies aren't perfect, but we'll work on that. We certainly have enough food to get us through a few days, a gas fireplace and blanets for heat, books and non-electronic games to keep us occupied, etc.

Based on Dufferin County's emergency supply recommendations, we have a few things to add, including copies of vital documents (passports, insurance), a crank radio and backup supply of medications.

Panic and a threat of impending doon — real or imagined —shouldn't be needed in order to get yourself prepared for an emergency. In fact, being ready may help to lessen any television-induced stress you feel about a blustery day.
    With the white stuff coming, no doubt we'll hear about another Snowpocalypse or Snowmageddon this winter.

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

you really are one stupid inbred fukk. saloon this shit

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yeah hate it when all that hype kills a bunch of people and leaves over 8 million without power.

Nice to see that your posts are just as asinine when youre not being political though.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: str

TheRifleman
    TheRifleman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 488

Quote Originally Posted by no gnu taxes View Post
    http://www.orangeville.com/opinion/c...-winter-column

As usual, the great hype machine was working overtime this week. A slow television news week resulted in the birth of "Frankenstorm."

Indeed, there were wind warnings and a potential for power outages, which materialized in some areas, but the local devestation 24-hour news channels led us to believe would happen is nowhere to be found.

Those channels have a lot of time to fill, and apparently they had little else to fill it with.

The impact of Hurricane Sandy is significant ... along the east coast.

My heart goes out to everyone affected by the storm in those areas, and the families of the people who were killed. I don't mean to belittle what they're going through.

It's the sensational approach taken by some members of the media that stick in my craw. They're an embarassment to us all.

There was no need to induce panic, or attempt it anyway.

The wind blows, power goes out. With the cemented arrival of autumn, both should be expected to happen more regularly.

As with in past events, we at The Banner did our best to present the information as it is known. It's then up to you to decide how best to respond to the situation.

I encourage everyone to look at the facts, not the overblown dramatic music and graphics of television. Nor, when considering local impact, to give much weight to photos and video from the the heart of the storm (at least when its as far off as its was in this case).

That's not to say I don't believe in being prepared. It's a good idea to have your emergency supplies ready, whether or not television news is predicting the end of the world as we know it.

My wife and I boiled several jugs of water (for baby formula) and bottled some more just in case, and she made a trip to the store for extra batteries and a couple flashlights, and stopped at a bank machine to take out some cash too.

Our emergency supplies aren't perfect, but we'll work on that. We certainly have enough food to get us through a few days, a gas fireplace and blanets for heat, books and non-electronic games to keep us occupied, etc.

Based on Dufferin County's emergency supply recommendations, we have a few things to add, including copies of vital documents (passports, insurance), a crank radio and backup supply of medications.

Panic and a threat of impending doon — real or imagined —shouldn't be needed in order to get yourself prepared for an emergency. In fact, being ready may help to lessen any television-induced stress you feel about a blustery day.
    With the white stuff coming, no doubt we'll hear about another Snowpocalypse or Snowmageddon this winter.
    Thanks for keeping it real and putting everything is perspective.....once again.

You're a gentleman and a scholar.

Take Care of yourself and your family.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68545

Quote Originally Posted by DrStale View Post
    Yeah hate it when all that hype kills a bunch of people and leaves over 8 million without power.

Nice to see that your posts are just as asinine when youre not being political though.

Well said.

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

I won't have power till November 5th. Thanks for posting that.

gafl
    gafl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 706

Don't know how this was overblown by the media. At least 15 people lost their lives in New York State alone. If it wasn't for the evacuations made known by the media, the numbers would have been far worse.

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

And the coastguard saved more then a thousand who didn't evacuate when told. Thats just on long island
    Quote Originally Posted by gafl View Post
    Don't know how this was overblown by the media. At least 15 people lost their lives in New York State alone. If it wasn't for the evacuations made known by the media, the numbers would have been far worse.

no gnu taxes
    no gnu taxes's Avatar Become A Pro!

gafl
    gafl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 706

That's what frustrating. First responders have to risk their lives to rescue people who don't heed evacuation notices.

Shafted69
    Green Shoots 2021
    Shafted69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1693

airport in NY is flooded up to the terminal board walks & a whole hospital in NY had to be evacuated because generators blew up

u dumm fukk inbred

rickbo528
    rickbo528's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1931

Quote Originally Posted by no gnu taxes View Post

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

This storm was not overhyped. It was actually worse than expected.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9788

quit posting fake pics

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    quit posting fake pics

Or what the wrath of the sbr milk monitor

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

how about purely in terms of size of the system this could end up being the LARGEST storm in recorded history

Solid work once again OP!

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21665

Brownie would be proud of your attitude.