marcojuiceman
    marcojuiceman's Avatar Become A Pro!

Michael Vick May Not Be A Starter

On Sunday, Vick said: "Whatever decision Coach makes, I support it. The thing I know is, I'm giving it everything I've got out there when I step on the field. Deep down, as long as I know I'm doing that, giving it everything, that's all I can ask out of myself." But on Monday, league sources said that Vick does not believe he deserves to be benched and is upset at the idea of it. The sources said that supporting Reid's decision should not be confused with happily accepting a decision to start Foles.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Nick Foles is going to permanently unseat the guy.

Vick doesn't work in a Reid scheme. Vick might simply not work. Guy is far too small for the NFL these days, especially if he cannot escape the rush like he used to.

Maclin and Jackson support the move. However, nobody will benefit more than Shady.

neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

I think we are gonna make this move. I thought from the start of the season this might be vicks last because next season is when the big money kicks in.

See what we have in foles, if he sucks draft a qb. But we still don't have an o-line, hopefully Peters gets back healthy soon if at all this year. He is so huge to our offense, more so in the run game.

Eagles27
    Eagles27's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

I've always been a big fan of ried (because of the consistency he has given us over the years). But damn, if they bench Vick now, you can kiss the season good bye. Mistake#1 was firing your D-Coordinator when the problem was at QB, Mistake#2 will be benching your QB after after your D-Coordinator.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not sure if Vick should shoulder all the blame offensively. Obviously the turnovers are his fault and killed numerous drives. Yesterday though he didn't make any big mistakes, but also did not make any big plays with his arm. I don't know if this is game plan or QB-driven. Either way, it has to change. This team has BIG PLAY THREATS and they are not utilizing them at all. Jackson and Maclin are built to make plays down the field and they aren't getting opportunities to do that. Either Vick is scared to throw it deep and make a mistake or the game plan is far too conservative - given the Eagles nature of being a pass first offense, I find it hard to believe the game planning is calling for all these careful check downs, but who truly knows.

Read a story today that makes a great point. If you're going to put a rookie in ... this is the time to do it. Eagles have Saints, Cowboys twice, Redskins and the Panthers in the next month. All defenses that are clearly not top notch. At this point, I don't see what Reid has to lose. His job is slipping away with every loss. He already made a clearly reactionary and stupid move in canning Juan Castillo. I don't think the O-line is really an excuse. The injuries surely have hurt obviously, but they have done a decent job in pass protection with the mixed parts - a lot of the sacks have clearly been on Vick holding the ball too long. The other thing putting a rookie QB in would do ... force you to look at the run more. That is probably the best benefit of the switch IMO. Marty & Andy are clearly allergic to running the ball consistently and utilizing the best player on the team in McCoy. Any time you switch QBs, that is something you look to do - help him with a running game.

At this point, I'm all for Foles. Vick has obviously regressed as a QB to this point because I think he's afraid to make mistakes. Rookies don't generally give a fukk.

neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

The injury really could be holding him back too. You just don't know, all I know is he looks lost out there.

King Swizz
    Update your status
    King Swizz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nick Foles is a stud. I'd like to see how he does in a game or two.

Eagles27

Quote Originally Posted by King Swizz View Post
    Nick Foles is a stud. I'd like to see how he does in a game or two.
    I dont! lol lets wait until we are 4-7 before we start talking about benching QB's. Too early to start playing for next season.

Eagles27

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles27 View Post
    I dont! lol lets wait until we are 4-7 before we start talking about benching QB's. Too early to start playing for next season.
    PS. let me add that I would have been ok with benching Vick, had they not fired Castillo. Benching the QB now would be throwing away the season.

King Swizz
    Update your status

Vick leads the NFL in turnovers with 9.

With the weapons the Eagles have on offense as long as Foles hangs onto the ball he will be fine.

Eagles27

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Not sure if Vick should shoulder all the blame offensively. Obviously the turnovers are his fault and killed numerous drives. Yesterday though he didn't make any big mistakes, but also did not make any big plays with his arm. I don't know if this is game plan or QB-driven. Either way, it has to change. This team has BIG PLAY THREATS and they are not utilizing them at all. Jackson and Maclin are built to make plays down the field and they aren't getting opportunities to do that. Either Vick is scared to throw it deep and make a mistake or the game plan is far too conservative - given the Eagles nature of being a pass first offense, I find it hard to believe the game planning is calling for all these careful check downs, but who truly knows.

Read a story today that makes a great point. If you're going to put a rookie in ... this is the time to do it. Eagles have Saints, Cowboys twice, Redskins and the Panthers in the next month. All defenses that are clearly not top notch. At this point, I don't see what Reid has to lose. His job is slipping away with every loss. He already made a clearly reactionary and stupid move in canning Juan Castillo. I don't think the O-line is really an excuse. The injuries surely have hurt obviously, but they have done a decent job in pass protection with the mixed parts - a lot of the sacks have clearly been on Vick holding the ball too long. The other thing putting a rookie QB in would do ... force you to look at the run more. That is probably the best benefit of the switch IMO. Marty & Andy are clearly allergic to running the ball consistently and utilizing the best player on the team in McCoy. Any time you switch QBs, that is something you look to do - help him with a running game.

At this point, I'm all for Foles. Vick has obviously regressed as a QB to this point because I think he's afraid to make mistakes. Rookies don't generally give a fukk.
    Those are some good points but the problem here is, benching Vick only makes sense had they not fired Castillo. Now we have a defense that is struggling to adjust to the changes on the fly. Putting in a rookie quarterback that is probably going to force your D to stay on the field longer is not going to be the right move. Especially when the Saints have a potent offense, Dallas Defense is Solid as ever. Now is not the time for this. Wait until 4-7 before starting to talk about making moves at the QB. If anything I would like to see Trent Edwards in ahead of Foles.

Eagles27

as long as Foles hangs onto the ball he will be fine.
    Thats asking a lot out of a Rookie Quarterback with no Regular Season Experience (who would be essentially thrown to the wolves).

King Swizz
    Update your status

Thats asking a lot out of a Rookie Quarterback with no Regular Season Experience (who would be essentially thrown to the wolves).
    He will hand it off AT LEAST 20 times to LeSean Mccoy who with Vick in the game the Eagles undervalue TREMENDOUSLY.

The offense will run with Lesean Mccoy as the centerpiece and they will run a lot of screens, quick passes, and draws to get Foles into the game before letting him do what he does best.. AIR IT OUT.

Do you know what the Eagles record is when Mccoy gets at least 20 carries?

It's 9-1.. if I were an Eagles fan I would be in love with the idea of starting Nick Foles

Eagles27

He will hand it off AT LEAST 20 times to LeSean Mccoy who with Vick in the game the Eagles undervalue TREMENDOUSLY.

The offense will run with Lesean Mccoy as the centerpiece and they will run a lot of screens, quick passes, and draws to get Foles into the game before letting him do what he does best.. AIR IT OUT.

Do you know what the Eagles record is when Mccoy gets at least 20 carries?

It's 9-1.. if I were an Eagles fan I would be in love with the idea of starting Nick Foles
    McCoy had 16 carries in the loss to ATL averagring around 2.1 yards per carry. 4 more carries would not have made a difference yesterday. I do agree we need to see a more balanced attack. However the new problem in philly is not the QB, its the defense, who gave up more points in the first half than they were averaging per game all season. The defense has been stellar all year long, now its looking shaky with a new d-cordinator (going to be another couple games I imagine before that stabilizes). Put foles in now and the season is over, at least with Vick, opposing defenses still have to account for his ability to gain yards on the ground.

EaglesPhan36

Those are some good points but the problem here is, benching Vick only makes sense had they not fired Castillo. Now we have a defense that is struggling to adjust to the changes on the fly. Putting in a rookie quarterback that is probably going to force your D to stay on the field longer is not going to be the right move. Especially when the Saints have a potent offense, Dallas Defense is Solid as ever. Now is not the time for this. Wait until 4-7 before starting to talk about making moves at the QB. If anything I would like to see Trent Edwards in ahead of Foles.
    Um, no thanks on Edwards. Defense from what I saw is playing the same Vanilla-ish scheme that they played under Castillo - and that is a severe lack of pressure on the QB which is leading to the secondary getting exposed big time. The few times they got pressure on Ryan, they also failed to put him down. Doesn't really matter who they are playing. If you give any QB time to throw, receivers are going to get open. You play teams like they have coming up without some sort of pass rush and Brees, Romo, Newton and RG3 all are going to have big days. I saw a few more blitzes than what Castillo had done, but for a team that had two weeks to prepare, they looked like they just started prepping for the Falcons on Saturday. I think Bowles has to turn some of the LBs loose, DBs loose on blitzes. It can't be worse than what they are doing now with relying on the front four to get pressure and it's just not consistenty. In all honesty, the defense was not a concern up until the fold job against Detroit and obviously this past week. I think there is just a tremendous amount of pressure on them and changing DCs mid-season just was again a really stupid move. I thought Castillo had grown into the job fairly well. He still wasn't the best guy out there and seemed stubborn to make changes [sounds like the head coach], but his defense was making some big stops when needed to keep the team in the game. Bowles' D game plan couldn't get any stops. Struggling offense + defense on the field too much = bad, bad things.

The problem I see with your thinking about waiting until they are this record or that record to change is it is halfway through the season and the offense is the bigger problem on this team. They don't score. They don't make big plays. They are not getting their best weapons involved consistently. As I said, part QB fault, part OC fault - but I think a change is the only thing that is going to help that. I think they need a fresh face and attitude in there. Vick is being a good team player with what he is saying and how he is acting, but clearly he's not confident at all. You can't play QB without confidence.

altieriflyers
    Rosamund
    altieriflyers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7788

PS. let me add that I would have been ok with benching Vick, had they not fired Castillo. Benching the QB now would be throwing away the season.
    The season is over, you should know by now, do you really think we are going to reach the super bowl? The season is over in the minute we know as fans that we are not contenders. Reid has to go, we respect him for the consistency, but donīt be blind, we are not going anywere with him.

Eagles27

McCoy had 16 carries in the loss to ATL averagring around 2.1 yards per carry. 4 more carries would not have made a difference yesterday. I do agree we need to see a more balanced attack. However the new problem in philly is not the QB, its the defense, who gave up more points in the first half than they were averaging per game all season. The defense has been stellar all year long, now its looking shaky with a new d-cordinator (going to be another couple games I imagine before that stabilizes). Put foles in now and the season is over, at least with Vick, opposing defenses still have to account for his ability to gain yards on the ground.
    Bottom Line, Firing Castillo was the mistake that may have cost us the season. Putting foles in now, sends a message to the team that we are now playing for the future.

Eagles27

Um, no thanks on Edwards. Defense from what I saw is playing the same Vanilla-ish scheme that they played under Castillo - and that is a severe lack of pressure on the QB which is leading to the secondary getting exposed big time. The few times they got pressure on Ryan, they also failed to put him down. Doesn't really matter who they are playing. If you give any QB time to throw, receivers are going to get open. You play teams like they have coming up without some sort of pass rush and Brees, Romo, Newton and RG3 all are going to have big days. I saw a few more blitzes than what Castillo had done, but for a team that had two weeks to prepare, they looked like they just started prepping for the Falcons on Saturday. I think Bowles has to turn some of the LBs loose, DBs loose on blitzes. It can't be worse than what they are doing now with relying on the front four to get pressure and it's just not consistenty. In all honesty, the defense was not a concern up until the fold job against Detroit and obviously this past week. I think there is just a tremendous amount of pressure on them and changing DCs mid-season just was again a really stupid move. I thought Castillo had grown into the job fairly well. He still wasn't the best guy out there and seemed stubborn to make changes [sounds like the head coach], but his defense was making some big stops when needed to keep the team in the game. Bowles' D game plan couldn't get any stops. Struggling offense + defense on the field too much = bad, bad things.
    Wait, are you trying to say the eagles defense was a problem this year in 2012? If not for our defense, we would be sitting at 1-5, maybe 0-6 (leading up to the game against ATL).

freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6483

The hurricane might save Vick another week

King Swizz
    Update your status

LeSean McCoy would get more touches

Desean Jackson would get the ball in space

Receivers would have more accurate balls thrown their way

They wouldn't have to worry about Vick turning the ball over

I think they would be fine.

Eagles27

Quote Originally Posted by altieriflyers View Post
    The season is over, you should know by now, do you really think we are going to reach the super bowl? The season is over in the minute we know as fans that we are not contenders. Reid has to go, we respect him for the consistency, but donīt be blind, we are not going anywere with him.
    We def should not be talking about the super bowl right now. Goal right now is lets get to the play-offs (which is still very attainable). However put foles in now and those hopes are gone for sure.

King Swizz
    Update your status

McCoy said they didn't play with any pride on Saturday.

The offense is not responding to Vick in the huddle.

Time to make the change.

altieriflyers
    Rosamund

Bottom Line, Firing Castillo was the mistake that may have cost us the season. Putting foles in now, sends a message to the team that we are now playing for the future.
    Exactly my friend, firing Castillo was a HUGE mistake, he was a escape goat so Reid can hold to his job. We must now play for the future, play the nest, see what Foles is about, start looking for coach that can take us to our first super bowl. Reid and Mohrninweg are sinking us.

EaglesPhan36

Said above, defense under Castillo was a saving grace mostly except for the Detroit fiasco. This past week though, they looked worse than any defense in the league and now have to be considered a problem area with a new coach and five straight quarters where they have failed to make stops.

Eagles27

Foles is unproven.... now is not the time to see if Foles will be some anomaly that doesn't struggle his first year (hoping in during the middle of the season).

King Swizz
    Update your status

Foles is unproven.... now is not the time to see if Foles will be some anomaly that doesn't struggle his first year (hoping in during the middle of the season).
    They are going up against the worst defense in the league.

No better time than now.

altieriflyers
    Rosamund

We def should not be talking about the super bowl right now. Goal right now is lets get to the play-offs (which is still very attainable). However put foles in now and those hopes are gone for sure.
    Our objective as a team is not reaching the playoffs, we are not Cleveland or Bills, we are the fukkin eagles who have been contenders for more than 10 years now, itīs super bowl or bust my friend.

Eagles27

Exactly my friend, firing Castillo was a HUGE mistake, he was a escape goat so Reid can hold to his job. We must now play for the future, play the nest, see what Foles is about, start looking for coach that can take us to our first super bowl. Reid and Mohrninweg are sinking us.
    Yea, I guess if you are ready to throw in the towel, what you are saying makes sense. Im just not ready to make a return to the 97-98 eagle years... YET lol

EaglesPhan36

I think you're blind if you don't think this team is realistically trying to figure out their future @ QB at this point. Vick is not going to be here next year. Been reported a zillion times. If they cut Vick, they owe him nothing from this point on and he has no hit against their cap starting in 2013. He's not playing well. The team is not scoring. Why would you stick with a lame duck? Makes a lot more sense to see if Foles has what it takes so you have a plan heading into free agency on whether or not QB is a position you need to address or whether you might have a legit starter on your roster right now.

Eagles27

Our objective as a team is not reaching the playoffs, we are not Cleveland or Bills, we are the fukkin eagles who have been contenders for more than 10 years now, itīs super bowl or bust my friend.
    No I agree, but often times we like to get ahead of ourselves. I'd rather worry about getting into the playoffs first (so we at least have a shot at the superbowl). Then we can worry about everything else once the season is officially over. Just look at last year, we were 8-8, however had we gotten into the playoffs, I have no doubts we would have been at least playing in the NFC championship game.

Eagles27

I think you're blind if you don't think this team is realistically trying to figure out their future @ QB at this point. Vick is not going to be here next year. Been reported a zillion times. If they cut Vick, they owe him nothing from this point on and he has no hit against their cap starting in 2013. He's not playing well. The team is not scoring. Why would you stick with a lame duck? Makes a lot more sense to see if Foles has what it takes so you have a plan heading into free agency on whether or not QB is a position you need to address or whether you might have a legit starter on your roster right now.
    I've never been a fan of playing for the future. We play to win, not to possibly win lol. We need to go with the guy that gives us the best chance to win now, not tomorrow.

King Swizz
    Update your status

I've never been a fan of playing for the future. We play to win, not to possibly win lol. We need to go with the guy that gives us the best chance to win now, not tomorrow.
    Nick Foles will bring the today and tomorrow.

Catchn_Picks
    Catchn_Picks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15716

Unfortunately we would have seen Vick hit a perfect blossom season, but instead he decided to kill a bunch of dogs and go to prison. He came back with a pretty good season, but has not been completely the same since. It takes a team to win and to lose. The eagle defense sucks and that is not Vick's fault obv.

But he is too small and has lost a half step, imo. He has a great burner in Jackson and Macklin is a beast. They should be scoring more points.

Look, is Cam Newton that much far behind? Will RG111 be yet another running quarterback that takes too many hits and loses team balance and perspective?

Inquiring minds want to know.

altieriflyers
    Rosamund

Yea, I guess if you are ready to throw in the towel, what you are saying makes sense. Im just not ready to make a return to the 97-98 eagle years... YET lol
    Believe me Eagles27, with this owner we will never return to that misery, this guy really invests in the team, and he will hire a coach that will mantain the level we have and hopefully raise it in a short period of time to be super bowl contenders again.

EaglesPhan36

Can you honestly say that is Vick? He's been terrible this year. Last year, inconsistent at best. 2010 was a long time ago when he "saved" the offense. I've been a Vick supporter @ QB, but the guy has been given his opportunity. Maybe the play calling stinks. If it does, then someone [REID] needs to step in and call the game and call it aggressively. Throw down field. Run McCoy. Use your strengths and if you don't know them at this point, step away now. The season isn't lost yet. There are a lot of games left and it's a winnable schedule. I really think they believed the bye week was going to be some sort of cure-all, but it obviously didn't do shit.

There is something fundamentally wrong with the offense - either the coaching/game planning or the QB. It is their job to fix it and they are doing a piss poor job of it at this point.

12 Last