InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Good news on Lattimore

Actually GREAT news under the circumstances.

Looks like his knee was severely dislocated but Spurrier said he'll be back playing football again

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...olina/1663981/

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2356

did anyone anywhere report if he had an insurance policy for this kind of thing?

last-1-2-know
    last-1-2-know's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 619

if he does it won't be till 2014.....a dislocated knee is so severe that u could lose ur leg....kinda like a compound fracture......i assume the nerve and artery test show little or no damage for spurrier to even b able to say that.....but if there is even minimal nerve damage he is probably done....but even if he is able to come back physically....for a running back he may not be able to mentally over come that traumatic of an injury....we'll c....

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

This is good news?

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Quote Originally Posted by last-1-2-know View Post
    but even if he is able to come back physically....for a running back he may not be able to mentally over come that traumatic of an injury....we'll c....
    Agreed. Would be really hard to hit the hole hard after 2 bad knee injuries

tatommack
    cowboys make the playoffs
    tatommack's Avatar Become A Pro!

i blew out my knee as a kid and i find it unbelievable these guys come back to play and at a high level like wills.

JayHorne3
    1 Budlight Please
    JayHorne3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Lifelong Gamecock fan here. I was at the game Saturday and this was one of those injuries that at the time looked as if Lattimore would never play football again. The way his leg just flopped around after he rolled over made me think it was an obvious break and seeing the knee on the side made me think about all the possible ligament damage. The entire stadium was somber even after the game because this is one of most favorite Gamecock football players in our history. Kid has done everything the right way. Always about the team, never about himself. Still hate to see the road he has to go through to get back. I know Spurrier said it was a dislocated knee, but I guess we will have to wait and find out the ligament damage before knowing how long it could take for a recovery. So under the circumstances, it is definitely good news.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

if he does it won't be till 2014.....a dislocated knee is so severe that u could lose ur leg....kinda like a compound fracture......i assume the nerve and artery test show little or no damage for spurrier to even b able to say that.....but if there is even minimal nerve damage he is probably done....but even if he is able to come back physically....for a running back he may not be able to mentally over come that traumatic of an injury....we'll c....
    you have no idea what youre talking about

a dislocated knee is the least harmful of the injuries people thought he could have sustained

i dislocated my knee playing baseball in high school and was back playing two weeks later...wasnt a severe dislocation like lattimore's was but it hardly destroys his knee

the real tell will be when they announce the ligament damage...supposed to come out tonight

tl;dr last 1 2 know is a dumbass

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

I tend to believe InTheDrink when it comes to medical examinations.

He is the head physician of Seaweed Nation.

last-1-2-know

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post

a dislocated knee is the least harmful of the injuries people thought he could have sustained

i dislocated my knee playing baseball in high school and was back playing two weeks later...wasnt a severe dislocation like lattimore's was but it hardly destroys his knee

the real tell will be when they announce the ligament damage...supposed to come out tonight

actually, I'm not a Dr....and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night....but there is this thing called Google....and I can read....I don't know what kind of injury u had playing baseball....I would guess u may have had a dislocated kneeCAP....but even that injury can end ur season....but ur saying a dislocated knee is the least harmful injury???? LOL...wow...I mean...that is the stupidest thing I think I ever heard anyone say.....IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DISLOCATE UR KNEE WITHOUT MAJOR LIGAMENT DAMAGE....it's more then just 1 or 2 ligaments being torn......u may be a PRO on SBR, but ur ignorance on being able to use the internet to research is a colossal indictment on ur true ignorance.... oh, and here are the links I referenced to form my opinion....

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/knee_...article_em.htm

http://www.bachmd.com/Files/Kneedislocations.pdf

Seaweed
    Update your status
    Seaweed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6952

Powderguy
    Powderguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

He won't ever be the same

mynameismud
    mynameismud's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8427

Quote Originally Posted by Powderguy View Post
    He won't ever be the same
    i concur. sad but true.

last-1-2-know

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    did anyone anywhere report if he had an insurance policy for this kind of thing?
    Most if not all college FB players that are projected to be in the draft obtain career ending type insurance....that is normal....given he has already sustained a major injury last year he most def. got that insurance....and it's not just if u can't play again....it is also against possible lost income due to a drop in draft status......i.e. Willis Mcgahee...I believe he was able to collect 2 mill. even though he got drafted and is still playing.....

theAkathist
    theAkathist's Avatar Become A Pro!

if he does ever play a down in the nfl draft he went from a 1st rnd pick to 7th

also scar rule doesnt allow insurance policy (for non-amateur gain, nfl)

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Most if not all college FB players that are projected to be in the draft obtain career ending type insurance....that is normal....given he has already sustained a major injury last year he most def. got that insurance....and it's not just if u can't play again....it is also against possible lost income due to a drop in draft status......i.e. Willis Mcgahee...I believe he was able to collect 2 mill. even though he got drafted and is still playing.....
    Interesting. Who pays the insurance? Can't be the family. The school? Is it paid once a contract is signed? Seems really risky for the insurance company especially with an LSU player

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

no I think willis had to forgo collecting on it if he wanted to make a comeback and enter the draft

last-1-2-know

hummmm
    Last edited by last-1-2-know; 10-28-12 at 05:38 PM. Reason: messed up

last-1-2-know

Interesting. Who pays the insurance? Can't be the family. The school? Is it paid once a contract is signed? Seems really risky for the insurance company especially with an LSU player
    "After the college football season ends, players are either entering the NFL draft or choosing to stay in school for another year. Both these groups can benefit from the insurance solutions Petersen International provides.

Players that are entering the draft now who are projected to sign very large contracts are starting to spend the money that they do not have. They are getting loans from banks or their player agents are buying them cars, houses, motorcycles, etc. We can insure both life and disability to cover the loans that they are taking out. We can also provide our Draft Protection coverage to cover the contracts that they hope to sign.
    For players returning to college for another year we can provide coverage through our Draft Protection Plan from now through the next draft. Most college players need to get a bank loan to pay for the premium of the Draft Protection Plan in which banks require life insurance which can be covered by our Bank Loan Contingent Life Plan.
    Please give us a call if you have a player or player agent looking for coverage on professional prospects."

taken from....http://www.piu.org/disability-plans/...nsurance-plans

ur welcome....

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

actually, I'm not a Dr....and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night....but there is this thing called Google....and I can read....I don't know what kind of injury u had playing baseball....I would guess u may have had a dislocated kneeCAP....but even that injury can end ur season....but ur saying a dislocated knee is the least harmful injury???? LOL...wow...I mean...that is the stupidest thing I think I ever heard anyone say.....IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DISLOCATE UR KNEE WITHOUT MAJOR LIGAMENT DAMAGE....it's more then just 1 or 2 ligaments being torn......u may be a PRO on SBR, but ur ignorance on being able to use the internet to research is a colossal indictment on ur true ignorance.... oh, and here are the links I referenced to form my opinion....

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/knee_...article_em.htm

http://www.bachmd.com/Files/Kneedislocations.pdf
    let's think about what the alternatives were dipshit

did you think he skinned his knee?

the options that have been bandied about were compound fracture and tearing his knee to shreds....in fact if your head wasn't busy being stuck in your ass you'd have heard some people wondering if he would walk without a limp again

yes it's least harmful of the possibilities, hence this is great news

and i suppose the fact that his head coach said he'll play again is lost on you

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

In the early part of the fourth quarter during the 2003 Fiesta Bowl National Championship Game, McGahee suffered an injury after catching a screen pass from Dorsey. He was immediately hit by Buckeye safetyWill Allen, bending his left knee backwards and causing tears of the ACL, PCL, and MCL. Prior to getting hurt, he had rushed for 67 yards and a touchdown, as Miami would lose the game in double-overtime, 31–24. This injury required several surgeries and extensive rehabilitation before he would be able to play again. At the season's end, McGahee announced he would not collect on a $2.5 million insurance policy he had taken out before the Championship game, and therefore would enter the 2003 NFL Draft.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

In the early part of the fourth quarter during the 2003 Fiesta Bowl National Championship Game, McGahee suffered an injury after catching a screen pass from Dorsey. He was immediately hit by Buckeye safetyWill Allen, bending his left knee backwards and causing tears of the ACL, PCL, and MCL. Prior to getting hurt, he had rushed for 67 yards and a touchdown, as Miami would lose the game in double-overtime, 31–24. This injury required several surgeries and extensive rehabilitation before he would be able to play again. At the season's end, McGahee announced he would not collect on a $2.5 million insurance policy he had taken out before the Championship game, and therefore would enter the 2003 NFL Draft.
    i wonder if there was a small window of time to collect and had he collected i assume he'd have had to pay it back...so why not just grab it when you can? i guess he was making a statement to say he definitely was going to make it back by doing so...

last-1-2-know

let's think about what the alternatives were dipshit

did you think he skinned his knee?

the options that have been bandied about were compound fracture and tearing his knee to shreds....in fact if your head wasn't busy being stuck in your ass you'd have heard some people wondering if he would walk without a limp again

yes it's least harmful of the possibilities, hence this is great news

and i suppose the fact that his head coach said he'll play again is lost on you
    OK...I included the total of our back and forth....U have resulted to name calling which is unnecessary...what's wrong....u mad bro? Or are u just an angry person...I don't know U but like I said earlier....the more u post the more ignorant u sound....if u follow our dialogue and READ all that was posted....ur last comment of " did you think he skinned his knee?" doesn't make any sense....

1st....in my first post I was explaining how a dislocated knee ISN'T a minor injury and he is lucky cause that injury is so severe sometime amputation is required...and permanent nerve damage is also likely possible....and yes if he is able to physically play again (which i think is a premature assumption) he might not be able to overcome the mental aspect of his injury.....

that's when u busted in with ur ignorant statement of a dislocated knee IS NOT that major of an injury....
    I think ur exact words were "a dislocated knee is the least harmful of the injuries people thought he could have sustained"
    then u went on to say how u dislocated ur knee in HS...but was able to play soon there after....which is so outrageous it's laughable, but really sad...

Then I respond to ur ignorance with medical insight and even list sorces (for ur enlightenment)....now ur trying to flip it on me that I am minimizing this injury.....wow.

U said...."...the options that have been bandied about were compound fracture and tearing his knee to shreds...." EXACTLY.....those two options are EQUALLY SEVERE....compound fracture.....AND...."tearing his knee to shreads" which is aka...KNEE DISLOCATION!!!! Like I said it is impossible to have a knee dislocation w/o 3-4 ligaments being shreaded...

So, IT IS NOT the least harmful of the possible injuries he could have had(like the compound fracture he could have lost his leg with this injury due to artery damage if medical attention wasn't immediately ava.)....it is 1 of the 2 possible worst injuries he could have had.....

THE GOOD NEWS SPURRIER WAS TALKING ABOUT WASN'T RELATED TO WHICH INJURY HE HAD......it had to due with the initial prognosis that he SHOULD be able to play football again....which I agreed that IF he is able to play football again that is GREAT NEWS (if he can overcome the mental aspects of recovery)......BUT I will say that I think the initial prognosis is MAYBE a little premature and obviously isn't conclusive....only time will tell AFTER multiple surgeries it there is lasting nerve damage....which if there is..that is where he will walk with a limp or have minimal function....only time will tell....I pray he has full recovery.

last-1-2-know

yea, read that too...I must have gotten him confused with someone else...I swear I heard someone collecting despite entering the NFL....anyway, I think it all depends what is written into the policy....some may have that attachment and some may not....

Ernie Mccracken
    Ernie Mccracken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4304

Joint injuries are brutal and stay with you forever. That's the truth that no one really wants to admit. Some come back better than others, and some guys are good enough at to play at 75% of what they used to be, but that injury is for life.

dice
    dice's Avatar Become A Pro!

My prayers are with Lattimore on a quick recovery. He is one heck of a running back. Was it Willis McGahee or Frank Gore who had a similar injury while in college? Both succeeded in the NFL.
    Last edited by dice; 10-28-12 at 07:06 PM.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

i wonder if there was a small window of time to collect and had he collected i assume he'd have had to pay it back...so why not just grab it when you can? i guess he was making a statement to say he definitely was going to make it back by doing so...

I think the insurance policy was crafted in a way to say that he had an injury which prevented him from playing and being drafted.

so he either had to settle for 2.5 and not enter the draft or work his ass off and enter the draft.

he made the right choice...

last-1-2-know

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    My prayers are with Lattimore on a quick recovery. He is one heck of a running back. Was it Willis McGahee or Frank Gore who had a similar injury while in college? Both succeeded in the NFL.
    It was Mcgahee with the serious knee injury in the championship game against Ohio St......but Gore did have 2 ACL injury on different legs...and he is doing great....but what Lattimore had is way worst then Gore and even Mcgahee.....so, I'm sure many prayers are with him.

eastern2
    eastern2's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Gore had a bad one too but it's willis that got jacked up like latt did

theAkathist
    theAkathist's Avatar Become A Pro!

lattimor is finished he has a piece of spaghetti for a right leg and its spurriers fault for calling the wrong play

GWOZOZO
    GWOZOZO's Avatar Become A Pro!

Latt's injury looked worst than Willi's. I hope he makes it back. Must hurt more spiritually. He did everything he had to do after the first injury, only to suffer a worst injury this season. I hope he's the kind of guy to whom football isn't the end all be all. Then he can focus on moving on without football

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

reminded me of this......

GWOZOZO
    GWOZOZO's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    reminded me of this......

omfg!

Jimmy0607
    Jimmy0607's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 285

Cadillac Williams blew both of his knees and came back , hopefully Lattimore can do the same

Hotdiggity11
    Hotdiggity11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

Yup, it's great that he can come back or most people who go through this are never the same [Don't take the exception as the rule]. He definitely lost any chance of being a 1st or 2nd rounder.

12 Last