hinese
    hinese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Does your US bank take foreign checks?

I received a check from a payout that is written from a Canadian bank. The two checking accounts I have, with Etrade and Chase, won't take it for deposit. I need to open a checking account with a bank that will. Which US banks will take a Canadian check (in US dollars)?

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Here is a trick - Deposit the check via your bank's ATM

I've had a teller tell me no yet did an ATM and never heard a word. Check cleared

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

Depends on the bank. I had wells fargo and they wouldnt take it. I had a local bank in colorado and they wanted to hold it for 85 buisness days or some stupid shit. I even tried to deposit it in the atm which a lot of people will tell you to, but they called me the next day and said they couldnt take it.

A4K
    A4K's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 241

Quote Originally Posted by hinese View Post
    I received a check from a payout that is written from a Canadian bank. The two checking accounts I have, with Etrade and Chase, won't take it for deposit. I need to open a checking account with a bank that will. Which US banks will take a Canadian check (in US dollars)?
    That's weird. I know most banks will put a legthy hold on out of country cheks, but I've never been refused.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Don't know specifically, I cashed a check via ** from Nicaragua at chase, ATM didn't take it but teller cashed it. I don't get why Chase would not take a Canadian check, have you called customer service, I would think a higher-up tells you that it is okay and then go and cash it with this information in hand.

I'm sure Chase business customers get money from around the world, therefore Chase CAN execute this transaction, its just getting them to WANT to.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

About the ATM

Many banks/CUs farm-out their ATM business to other clearing houses... ATM deposits will work many times

A4K

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    Don't know specifically, I cashed a check via ** from Nicaragua at chase, ATM didn't take it but teller cashed it. I don't get why Chase would not take a Canadian check, have you called customer service, I would think a higher-up tells you that it is okay and then go and cash it with this information in hand.

I'm sure Chase business customers get money from around the world, therefore Chase CAN execute this transaction, its just getting them to WANT to.
    Some tellers are not that SHARP and therefore play things conservatively. I like your suggestion.... call Chase directly. I'd be amazed if they didn't take foreign checks.

A4K

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    About the ATM

Many banks/CUs farm-out their ATM business to other clearing houses... ATM deposits will work many times
    Really? Wow, good to know. Thanks Sam

BigDeem5
    2013-2016 NBA: 461-378-24 +52.65u
    BigDeem5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2158

Chase's ATM doesn't take it.

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7292

Cashed them fine at the bank. Just had to play the " they write their days/months/year instead of the month/day/year" game. The only check they ever gave me shit about was a ** check which I got because the grocery store didn't have enough cash to settle me up.

hinese
    hinese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Quote Originally Posted by wtt0315 View Post
    Depends on the bank. I had wells fargo and they wouldnt take it. I had a local bank in colorado and they wanted to hold it for 85 buisness days or some stupid shit. I even tried to deposit it in the atm which a lot of people will tell you to, but they called me the next day and said they couldnt take it.
    Geez...Wells Fargo and BkofAma were the two I was considering. Their website FAQs don't seem to prohibit foreign checks. Chase's website says checks from US banks only.
    Last edited by hinese; 10-22-12 at 10:46 PM.