grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    You can't unless you develop a model and back test it, and even then noone is guaranteed of future results.
    Buts its the best way to actually find the smallest edge you can while still betting.

If you are picking bets from the sky you will never find when you reach the end limit of +EV

Hey--thanks for responding. So I guess it's safe to say that anyone who says "all my bets are +EV" is basically talking out of their ass unless they have a back-tested model...and even then, really.

The way I see handicapping myself is looking at different factors of a game that will determine the outcome and assigning differing levels of impact to each of these factors and thus deciding which way to bet. Kind of a Ben Franklin approach with a little wing it mojo thrown in. Seems like modeling would take the fun out of it. I like the action, like you No Coin. ;-)

Thanks again fellas.

A4K
    A4K's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 241

Quote Originally Posted by grease lightnin View Post
    Hey--thanks for responding. So I guess it's safe to say that anyone who says "all my bets are +EV" is basically talking out of their ass unless they have a back-tested model...and even then, really.

The way I see handicapping myself is looking at different factors of a game that will determine the outcome and assigning differing levels of impact to each of these factors and thus deciding which way to bet. Kind of a Ben Franklin approach with a little wing it mojo thrown in. Seems like modeling would take the fun out of it. I like the action, like you No Coin. ;-)

Thanks again fellas.
    I've back tested strategies that have shown great results only to have them completely change for the following year. Any punter that tells you they only bet on +EV situations is a liar.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6858

I've been testing out for Saturdays for example, with the 12:00 games I always single out one spread or +EV ML play and just play that one for 1-5 units. No parlays, no teasers, no totals.

Last 3 Saturdays I've won with Kansas State v Kansas, then Oklahoma v Texas and then this past Saturday I went with Clemson and won that 1 handily too. Its working wonderfully.

A4K

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTopMoron View Post
    I've been testing out for Saturdays for example, with the 12:00 games I always single out one spread or +EV ML play and just play that one for 1-5 units. No parlays, no teasers, no totals.

Last 3 Saturdays I've won with Kansas State v Kansas, then Oklahoma v Texas and then this past Saturday I went with Clemson and won that 1 handily too. Its working wonderfully.

PM me your selections or else I'll be sad.

Vinnie Paz
    Vinnie Paz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3413

I heard a quote once, No Coin...

Insanity is to do the same thing over & over again and expect different results

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags

Quote Originally Posted by A4K View Post
    PM me your selections or else I'll be sad.
    Not sure I'm good enough to be tailed at this point in time. I am still a work in progress as far as being a successful, smart, patient gambling man. I just do better with NCAAF & NFL than any other sport.

A4K

Not sure I'm good enough to be tailed at this point in time. I am still a work in progress as far as being a successful, smart, patient gambling man. I just do better with NCAAF & NFL than any other sport.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags

If I find something this Saturday for noon ill try to remember to PM you lol

A4K

If I find something this Saturday for noon ill try to remember to PM you lol

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags

i put a reminder on the computer desktop on a sticky note

Duff85
    Getting ready for Japball
    Duff85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4007

Quote Originally Posted by grease lightnin View Post
    It's very unlikely that anyone makes 100% +ev bets. Mine are somewhere in the range of 66% and that is enough to make some good cash. Some of the more high volume bettors on the board would be down closer to 50% i'd suspect.

A4K

Quote Originally Posted by Duff85 View Post
    It's very unlikely that anyone makes 100% +ev bets. Mine are somewhere in the range of 66% and that is enough to make some good cash. Some of the more high volume bettors on the board would be down closer to 50% i'd suspect.
    I think 50% is a but on the high side.

SlickRick1382
    If hustlin' is a must; be Sosa, not Tony
    SlickRick1382's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11517

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    I just can't do it. I've tried. I know if I isolate plays and concentrate more on quality than quantity, I'd have better results. I know if I didn't try to juggle multiple bets in multiple sports in the same week, I'd have better results. I know that it's OK to let games pass, not force the issue, not make a bunch of small bets to dilute the big ones, etc. But I'm a goddam action junkie.

I really want to be able to take the next step where discipline allows me to pick and choose while upping my bet sizes on the games I truly like. Really, I should be looking at 2-3 plays per week in college football and again in the NFL -- at most. With college and pro hoops looming, I'm entering the danger zone where I'm trying to maintain focus and sanity while going after four main sports at the same time. I'm not good enough to do that -- hell, I don't know who is. Yet I've tried it for three straight years.

I realize this is going to bring all of my haters and stalkers out of the woodwork. That's fine. Just looking for an honest discussion about becoming a more disciplined bettor.

If you find anything that works, let me know. I find myself making high volume plays as well and the swings are going to get me soon enough. Just yesterday I wound up giving back basically half the profits from the week. Knowing how sharp NFL lines I should of bet considerably less but just found myself making slightly smaller unit plays.

Good Luck to you, hope you figure it out .....

Duff85
    Getting ready for Japball
    Duff85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4007

I think 50% is a but on the high side.
    Yeah sorry I had +ev bettors in mind when I was posting that. Guys that aren't +ev would be well below the 50% mark.

forloveofthegame
    forloveofthegame's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 595

great info in this thread guys. very common problems for the average capper. I to find myslef betting almost every single big national televised game and in the long run cutting into my profits. I'm getting better but have a long way to go.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Labouchere

is a good way to test YOUR MM discipline

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick1382 View Post
    If you find anything that works, let me know. I find myself making high volume plays as well and the swings are going to get me soon enough. Just yesterday I wound up giving back basically half the profits from the week. Knowing how sharp NFL lines I should of bet considerably less but just found myself making slightly smaller unit plays.

Good Luck to you, hope you figure it out .....
    The key is to know when to walk away -- either after a big early portion of the day or a disastrous one. Either take your profit and start on the next day or cut your losses without going on tilt.

mikey207
    mikey207's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1381

Download this..... Betting Tracker V1.10 It's FREE and it calculates ROI
    Thanks for the link

First 123