shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

NFL replacement officials draw ire of sports bettors

NFL replacement officials draw ire of sports bettors

Monday Night Football controversy has bankrupted some gamblers, and left an entire nation of Green Bay Packers fans to sulk around the office Tuesday morning. With time expiring, Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson heaved a 24-yard pass into the end zone, and that's where it got complicated. To most observers, including the ESPN broadcast team, Green Bay defender MD Jennings intercepted the ball at its highest point and cradled the ball to the ground. | Read more

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!
    sweep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2457

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

if this gm bankrupted you it was only a matter of time anyways....

lets be real, call or no call it not like gb dominated this gm, and again no 1 on pack cared when they were getting drives extended on pi calls that were horseshit (weird how they act like this stuff didnt happen)...

every week, every gm, no matter the refs, you gonna get ppl throwing a fit over how they got screwed, last week somehow it was refs fault Peyton threw 4 picks, next week who knows, it the nfl so only a few plays decide most gms and every gm will always have bad calls that sometimes directly influence the result, the fact it was last play shouldnt really matter as generally speaking the gm isnt decided on last play but that doesnt make refs decisions any less impact-full ...yet no one wants to hear any of this or remember the times they won because of questionable shit, how many gb backers would be outraged they won with the shit calls gb received?

stop letting the espn hype machine get you all worked up and quit tripping on these refs cause for most part they not much worse than the 1s everyone wants back....

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Grin when I win

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post

70kgman
    70kgman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1895

One of the NFL replacement ref's was fired from the Lingerie Football League for poor performance shortly before getting picked up by the NFL. No joke.

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by 70kgman View Post
    One of the NFL replacement ref's was fired from the Lingerie Football League for poor performance shortly before getting picked up by the NFL. No joke.
    no less respectable than any of the clown lawyers that were calling gms before..never met a trustworthy lawyer..

shari91

Yep I agree. The extent of my NFL betting so far has been in BTP and I'm lucky if I'm even hitting 40%. I pick teams I like ie I went to a lot of Packers games, used to get Detroit tv living in Canada, etc

There's a reason the old timers try to warn people every year how sharp NFL lines are and how books salivate waiting for the influx of cash from those who think they've finally figured out a system. Bet small and focus on other sports or be prepared to cry at one point or another.

CappinTerp
    CappinTerp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

I hear that about $150 Million changed hands on that play.!!

Bigbill365
    Big Money Bettors
    Bigbill365's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1016

Yeah sheri im glad you think this is funny that game could have serious implications on me.The best senario is i lose my car.

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Quote Originally Posted by CappinTerp View Post
    I hear that about $150 Million changed hands on that play.!!
    take into account offshore and illegal books over 500 Million

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbill365 View Post
    Yeah sheri im glad you think this is funny that game could have serious implications on me.The best senario is i lose my car.
    Did I laugh at anyone losing money or was I laughing at the way I picked BTP plays?

But honestly, anyone who gambles with money they don't have whether that's from borrowing it or using cash that needs to go to other things... or even worse kind of steals 20k+ from their mother's card as I did back in the day... needs a massive reality check and this is exactly the kind of game that will do it. Betting big cash on a sport that is universally acknowledged as the toughest to beat - even when the normal refs are in - is crazy. Not judging you as many of us have been there but the people who post warnings aren't Debbie Downers. They do some from experience sadly.

allin1
    Update your status
    allin1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    Monday Night Football controversy has bankrupted some gamblers
    this is a ridiculous statement in my humble opinion. it is a game of inches. probably 50% of the time that pass would have been complete if the defender does not jump high enough at the right time for the interception.

gambling bankrupts gamblers not officials. the result was not far away from the spread so I think it wasn't an unusual result regarding probabilities. could have happened with good officials too. packers didn't have a great game
    Last edited by allin1; 09-25-12 at 12:56 PM.

2daBank

Yep I agree. The extent of my NFL betting so far has been in BTP and I'm lucky if I'm even hitting 40%. I pick teams I like ie I went to a lot of Packers games, used to get Detroit tv living in Canada, etc

There's a reason the old timers try to warn people every year how sharp NFL lines are and how books salivate waiting for the influx of cash from those who think they've finally figured out a system. Bet small and focus on other sports or be prepared to cry at one point or another.
    pretty much sums it up, although they try and lynch you around here for speaking such blaspheme as everyone knows nfl is easy!

for time being im on a well overdue uptick yr so far as im concerned they can keep these refs around while home dogs are winning and ugly teams covering while i try and take a little and turn it into a lot for ncaa hoops, or not, either way ill be no more or less broke than before really....

Omaga
    I GET IT...
    Omaga's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 313

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    take into account offshore and illegal books over 500 Million
    unreal....where do you guys get these kind of numbers from....I mean for real? I hear 20 billion

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbill365 View Post
    im not one to root for ppl to lose but the fact you would lose your car over a nfl gm is kinda fukkin hilarious if you ask me... live and learn as they say...

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

im not one to root for ppl to lose but the fact you would lose your car over a nfl gm is kinda fukkin hilarious if you ask me... live and learn as they say...

2daBank

Did I laugh at anyone losing money or was I laughing at the way I picked BTP plays?

But honestly, anyone who gambles with money they don't have whether that's from borrowing it or using cash that needs to go to other things... or even worse kind of steals 20k+ from their mother's card as I did back in the day... needs a massive reality check and this is exactly the kind of game that will do it. Betting big cash on a sport that is universally acknowledged as the toughest to beat - even when the normal refs are in - is crazy. Not judging you as many of us have been there but the people who post warnings aren't Debbie Downers. They do some from experience sadly.
    and i thought you were sexy before shari, i didnt realize you were a little criminal.... that messed up even by my standards, i like it!

RawBillyIce
    Big Bad Billy's, Sweet William Now!!
    RawBillyIce's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you handicapped GB -3 you did right. You did not win but the handicapping was there. Hold your head high, Do not try to triple up. Stay focused and go 7-3 or something wagering on the NFL next week.

PS.. I used to live in Canada Shari

shari91

and i thought you were sexy before shari, i didnt realize you were a little criminal.... that messed up even by my standards, i like it!

You didn't know that? I posted about that ages ago when OMGUrMom had that massive thread when he was messed up from gambling and blew millions of his mom's Pogo pts playing poker. My mother sent myself and some friends to Vegas for my 21st and gave me her Amex for emergencies. Back then you could take out cash just from picking up some special phone, asking for the money and then going to the cashier and showing the card. Maybe you still can? Started chasing in blackjack and you know how it goes. It was horrible. Couldn't even afford a Burger King Croissan'wich in the airport on the way home. Worst part was she wasn't angry. She was highly disappointed. To the point shedidn't even want me to pay her back. But I snuck a couple of PT jobs in uni (my course didn't allow outside work) and paid her every cent with interest. Even now betting on credit with books still freaks me out 15yrs later. Much prefer to bet what I can afford and be done with it. Feel so old saying that but I never want that sick feeling again.

RawBillyIce

Shari how old were you when you lost your Virginity ?

2daBank

You didn't know that? I posted about that ages ago when OMGUrMom had that massive thread when he was messed up from gambling and blew millions of his mom's Pogo pts playing poker. My mother sent myself and some friends to Vegas for my 21st and gave me her Amex for emergencies. Back then you could take out cash just from picking up some special phone, asking for the money and then going to the cashier and showing the card. Maybe you still can? Started chasing in blackjack and you know how it goes. It was horrible. Couldn't even afford a Burger King Croissan'wich in the airport on the way home. Worst part was she wasn't angry. She was highly disappointed. To the point shedidn't even want me to pay her back. But I snuck a couple of PT jobs in uni (my course didn't allow outside work) and paid her every cent with interest. Even now betting on credit with books still freaks me out 15yrs later. Much prefer to bet what I can afford and be done with it. Feel so old saying that but I never want that sick feeling again.
    oh hell, that doesnt sound nearly as bad now, thanx for ruining it for me....that gotta be at least a 3rd (if not half) her fault, i mean that like dangling crack in front of a crack baby, not much you could do in that spot, i mean short of getting up from table and putting it all down on some random sporting event!

now i feel bad again cause im sure ive done worse than that, not exactly all in name of gambling but end result and all.... who hasnt needed some money wired to them to vegas to be able to get the hell out? and then blow that money as well?

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by RawBillyIce View Post
    Shari how old were you when you lost your Virginity ?
    Yet to be determined. The Bible messed up - should've been Virgin Shari and the Immaculate Conception instead of that Mary broad who stole my thunder. I just want one bloody statue and stained glass window dammit!

oh hell, that doesnt sound nearly as bad now, thanx for ruining it for me....that gotta be at least a 3rd (if not half) her fault, i mean that like dangling crack in front of a crack baby, not much you could do in that spot, i mean short of getting up from table and putting it all down on some random sporting event!

now i feel bad again cause im sure ive done worse than that, not exactly all in name of gambling but end result and all.... who hasnt needed some money wired to them to vegas to be able to get the hell out? and then blow that money as well?
    Oh it was still bad for me at least. Totally not in character at all. That's why I'm hoping some of the guys who have been posting and emailing us are exaggerating a bit. Even the story above about maybe losing a car. I know that feeling as I'm sure you do too and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. We put so much faith in random strangers when we gamble. I'm sure if aliens existed they'd be laughing their asses off at ass at the stupidity of it all. At least with blackjack I got to pretend I had a bit of control over the cards haha

2daBank

Oh it was still bad for me at least. Totally not in character at all. That's why I'm hoping some of the guys who have been posting and emailing us are exaggerating a bit. Even the story above about maybe losing a car. I know that feeling as I'm sure you do too and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. We put so much faith in random strangers when we gamble. I'm sure if aliens existed they'd be laughing their asses off at ass at the stupidity of it all. At least with blackjack I got to pretend I had a bit of control over the cards haha
    im not saying it was the right thing to do but it not like you robbed a convenience store (now that sexy!), sure id feel bad too but i mean cmon moms how you gonna send me to vegas with the card? yea ive dropped more than my fair share in a season or 3, usually right after a yr i sounded like these youngsters that think they kill nfl every yr, so sad...

see i never feel control with cards, capping gms i have the illusion of control until the gm starts anyways..

RawBillyIce

I hear ya Shari baby . Email me some pics anytime

2daBank

im not saying it was the right thing to do but it not like you robbed a convenience store (now that sexy!), sure id feel bad too but i mean cmon moms how you gonna send me to vegas with the card? yea ive dropped more than my fair share in a season or 3, usually right after a yr i sounded like these youngsters that think they kill nfl every yr, so sad...

see i never feel control with cards, capping gms i have the illusion of control until the gm starts anyways..
    in all honesty im sure you felt like really bad, id rather rob the convenience store myself....you dont typically find one of them holding 20k tho or id prob have beat you to it

yahoonino
    yahoonino's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1449

you are correct mam,,,,,,,,,

lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

Lose your car? Over a lost NFL bet? Books refund money after a bad call or blown call? Who are you people? The call was wrong, but who hasn't been fuc%ed out of money on a bad call? I lost 3 dimes 2 yrs ago when I had Philly -4 at home to the Colts and Philly was up 9 late and Colts driving. On 3rd and long Manning was sacked, he fumbled and Philly recovered. Oh but wait.. The referee called hands to the helmet on Philly for merely grazing the side of his helment when reaching around to created the sack fumble. You know the rest. The call was horrible and I understand the rule, but it was very suspect it was applied in that instance. We all get fuc%ed time to time gambling and like to bitch and rant and rave, but lose your car? Want books to refund money? On a losing wager regardless of why it lost is pathetic!! Don't cry when it hurts. Don't run when you are scared. Nobody likes a crybaby.

shari91

in all honesty im sure you felt like really bad, id rather rob the convenience store myself....
    I'm sure you know... a disappointed mother is a hundred times worse than most other things. That's why this kid of mine won't gamble. But if I ever find out he is I'm going to drill into his head to be careful with the NFL. When guys have been saying the same thing for decades about this sport you simply have to listen. This game messed up a lot of people whether through the allure of MNF, live betting or whatever. Bloody scary. I actually feel a bit sorry for these replacement refs too. After hearing about how that one said to a player last week or whatever he had him in his fantasy league it's obvious they just shouldn't be there. It's one thing to be a scab but these guys just seem to be in way over their heads here.

lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

I'm sure you know... a disappointed mother is a hundred times worse than most other things. That's why this kid of mine won't gamble. But if I ever find out he is I'm going to drill into his head to be careful with the NFL. When guys have been saying the same thing for decades about this sport you simply have to listen. This game messed up a lot of people whether through the allure of MNF, live betting or whatever. Bloody scary. I actually feel a bit sorry for these replacement refs too. After hearing about how that one said to a player last week or whatever he had him in his fantasy league it's obvious they just shouldn't be there. It's one thing to be a scab but these guys just seem to be in way over their heads here.

Ain't that the truth? I got arrested as a minor and the look on my mother's face when I came home the next day still haunts me...

2daBank

disappointing mom never fun, been there...lol

yea that thing with the fantasy was pretty damn funny when i heard it, i mean they mis-spotted the ball several times last week on monday night, they really are clueless, which makes it even funnier when folks around here think they easily corrupted, ive always felt to effectively break the rules you should prob have a good understanding of the rules 1st which these guys seriously dont... there no way you fix a gm in such fashion, if that gm fixed then pack never reach the endzone the way they did with a few helpful calls..it just all around incompetence, same refs that did the skins/lambs gm last week and that was abysmal as well....

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by Omaga View Post
    unreal....where do you guys get these kind of numbers from....I mean for real? I hear 20 billion
    Well apparently it was $250-300 million between SBR's article and this one.

Unreal amount of cash.

"Gambling expert RJ Bell of Las Vegas-based Pregame.com says he thinks two-thirds of bets worldwide were on the Packers, and that sports books took in at least $150 million because of the call."

shaunovery
    shaunovery's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

It's called gambling

That's why they play the game

I lost on the game but hey that's betting how many times have you been done by the last play of the game

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by lyon804 View Post
    Ain't that the truth? I got arrested as a minor and the look on my mother's face when I came home the next day still haunts me...
    I'm hoping I never have to invoke 'the face' on my own kid but if I do I have the perfect blueprint. Can't remember what I ate for dinner two nights ago but I remember the look on her face like it was yesterday.

disappointing mom never fun, been there...lol

yea that thing with the fantasy was pretty damn funny when i heard it, i mean they mis-spotted the ball several times last week on monday night, they really are clueless, which makes it even funnier when folks around here think they easily corrupted, ive always felt to effectively break the rules you should prob have a good understanding of the rules 1st which these guys seriously dont... there no way you fix a gm in such fashion, if that gm fixed then pack never reach the endzone the way they did with a few helpful calls..it just all around incompetence, same refs that did the skins/lambs gm last week and that was abysmal as well....
    That's what I think as well... after watching too many actual fixed tennis matches - and yes they're different sports but still - you get the dirty stuff out of the way quickly because you don't want to leave anything to chance. There is no way the refs or anyone else would know that the last play would come down to that. It is 100% inconceivable that any player would be involved with rigging the game so then it would have to come back to the refs. There are so many possibilities of how that play could've went. Like one of those choose your own adventure books. You're going to leave a fix to the last play of the game and hope x, y, z, a, b, c happens to even put the teams in that position? It was sheer inexperience of the refs. I've won and lost by crappy calls in many sports as most bettors have. This time it's just over amplified because these guys shouldn't be there at all. Which is why I suggested to SBR we lower limits in the book until the normal refs are back and have said repeatedly to people to either not bet or just bet small so at least you don't have that doubt in your mind if the people officiating actually have a clue.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bingo.

The replacement refs make mistakes. So do the regular refs. The one noticeable difference? The regular crew tends to favor the same (public) teams year after year. Bottomline for those 'wronged' public teams. If you don't want to lose the game on the last play, decide the game before that.

And bettors complaining en masse about losing a bet on the last play is hilarious. As if that has never happened before. Goes with the territory and evens out over time. Crocodile tears and gambling are a bad mix. Game is over. Move on.

12 Last