UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

Please explain to me what a false start is?

Ive watched football for 10 years but i never quite understood this...

Sometimes they call a false start if a lineman or receiver even so much as flinches before the snap...

yet before every snap i look at all the offensive linemen and 1 second before the ball is snapped i can see some shift their shoulders moving up and down etc...i guess i just dont understand what it is because before every play after the lineman are set i see multiple linemen moving before the snap every play.

flocko76
    flocko76's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3292

"In American football and Canadian football, a false start is movement by an offensive player (other than the center) after he has taken a set position. Foroffensive linemen, this movement might be as minute as a couple of centimeters, although the rule's intent is to prevent offensive players from unfairly drawing the defense offside."

I think the qb might say "set" but don't quote me on that.

UntilTheNDofTimE

Flock i understand the concept but before every play i see 3 linemen move before every play. wouldn't every play be false start by that definition.

They lineup, they get set, then they all move at least once after that. Maybe the Qb saying "set" starts it. i dunno

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Quote Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
    Flock i understand the concept but before every play i see 3 linemen move before every play. wouldn't every play be false start by that definition.

They lineup, they get set, then they all move at least once after that. Maybe the Qb saying "set" starts it. i dunno
    They aren't completely set at that point.... you'll see the qb step away from center to audible and they can get re set...

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Once the hands touch the ground you don't see it. The Dallas Cowboys used to have all five guys stand up and go back down and nothing was called because they never had their hands on the ground. hands on the ground is the key.

UntilTheNDofTimE

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    Once the hands touch the ground you don't see it. The Dallas Cowboys used to have all five guys stand up and go back down and nothing was called because they never had their hands on the ground. hands on the ground is the key.
    Thnx that explains the " completely set" delima much easier to understand.