EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

2008 was the last time Serena won the US Open. So yeah the 13 years must be referencing 1999 to now.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Serena was very lucky to win although she lost some tough ones too

It all equals out

I wonder if she can win 4 more slams??

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    She is a bit out there but to be fair she almost died, most didn't think she'd ever play tennis again and now she's winning Slams. Last time she won this one was 13yrs ago I think? At least that's what the announcer said and it's never been done before with that gap.

The journalist who wrote the article I posted earlier admits in it that it was supposed to be one of those wind up on your career articles for Serena and Venus... let's reflect on what you've done, how you might've helped or changed the sport. But then Serena won Wimbledon and they both won the doubles. Serena won the Olympics and they both won the doubles. So he had to change the focus. And now she's won here. They shouldn't be doing this at their age apparently. The one thing that always bugged me about Serena was how she is so committed to being a Jehovah but I was like how often do you go door knocking for your faith like everyone else? I assumed it was like those Kaballah bracelets and she just donated cash. Turns out she goes door knocking all the time so I need to find another pet peeve.

oh wow didn't know this

if she knocked on my door and TOLD me to convert I prob would

but i'd ask her to start covering her body on the court and beach more

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Serena was very lucky to win although she lost some tough ones too

It all equals out

I wonder if she can win 4 more slams??
    She'll win 5-7 more in my opinion

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    She'll win 5-7 more in my opinion
    I'll take under six for the max.

EaglesPhan36

I don't think she will play long enough to win anything close to that 5-7 number. She's seven away from Graf's all-time Slam record. She would have to win almost every Slam for two years to get close to that. I think she will continue to be a force in Slams for the next year, maybe two. But age is going to catch her and catch her quick IMO. If she is smart, she will continue to play very few tourneys outside of Slams. Ranking doesn't mean shit obviously at this point and regardless of the fact that her draw can be made better or worse with a better ranking, I think she would rather win Slams than fukk with ranking points.

I think maybe her goal might be to get the most Slams by an American. Chris Evert holds that with 18. Maybe it's a goal, but at this point in her career - there is no major milestone within her reach in the next two years. I think it is just simply a case of how long does she want to keep grinding. She's 30 and has nothing to prove. You can say the same for Federer who is 31, but I think he would like to lengthen his lead over Nadal for Slam titles. He's six up on him right now. I think at this point though with Nadal's health problems, Nadal is going to get to a point where he wants to win the French every year and then if he's healthy compete to try and win the other Slams - but not worry too much. He's only 26, but his body probably has the wear of someone a couple years older. I think the French is Rafa's baby and that will be the thing he holds most dear.

With Murray + Djokovic, Rafa's chances of winning the other Slams will get smaller and smaller, I think so his chances of catching Federer will be fairly small because I can't see Nadal playing into his 30s unless he starts becoming Serenaesque and just specializes in Slams. I'm honestly surprised more players don't do that as they advance in age. What the fukk is the point of playing Masters events if you've won multiple Slams? Stay healthy, play a warm up for a Slam and try to win another Slam.
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 09-09-12 at 09:42 PM.

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 451

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    I don't think she will play long enough to win anything close to that 5-7 number. She's seven away from Graf's all-time Slam record. She would have to win almost every Slam for two years to get close to that. I think she will continue to be a force in Slams for the next year, maybe two. But age is going to catch her and catch her quick IMO. If she is smart, she will continue to play very few tourneys outside of Slams. Ranking doesn't mean shit obviously at this point and regardless of the fact that her draw can be made better or worse with a better ranking, I think she would rather win Slams than fukk with ranking points.

I think maybe her goal might be to get the most Slams by an American. Chris Evert holds that with 18. Maybe it's a goal, but at this point in her career - there is no major milestone within her reach in the next two years. I think it is just simply a case of how long does she want to keep grinding. She's 30 and has nothing to prove. You can say the same for Federer who is 31, but I think he would like to lengthen his lead over Nadal for Slam titles. He's six up on him right now. I think at this point though with Nadal's health problems, Nadal is going to get to a point where he wants to win the French every year and then if he's healthy compete to try and win the other Slams - but not worry too much. He's only 26, but his body probably has the wear of someone a couple years older. I think the French is Rafa's baby and that will be the thing he holds most dear.

With Murray + Djokovic, Rafa's chances of winning the other Slams will get smaller and smaller, I think so his chances of catching Federer will be fairly small because I can't see Nadal playing into his 30s unless he starts becoming Serenaesque and just specializes in Slams. I'm honestly surprised more players don't do that as they advance in age. What the fukk is the point of playing Masters events if you've won multiple Slams? Stay healthy, play a warm up for a Slam and try to win another Slam.

Which slams has Murray won ??????

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Getting 7 more is easy ...2 slam win for the next 4 years....none of these other players cant touch her even though azar really had her on the rope! It is really up to her if she really want 22....most people will say graf is the best if she don't reach it..she would still be the best player I ever seen

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post

In Tennis you cannot just play a few tourneys non majors and expect to do well in majors
    It does not work that way, Serena is on top because she is playing more tennis

All the all time greats played a regular schedule no matter what as you cannot beat real tourneys vs practice

Too easy to get clipped just thinking your playing majors plus a few others

I say she wins like 3 more total

EaglesPhan36

LoL. Just saying the chances of Rafa winning non-French Slams is going to get smaller and smaller IMO as his career progresses. Wimbledon might be his other best shot because he knows how to play on grass, but on hard courts there are going to be more an more power players that develop who can serve and hit through him like a Rosol did and that was on grass. Guys can bag on Murray all they want, but the guy is in the picture in every tournament. Once he gets a break through win, then it's going to be a whole different ballgame where we've got all four of the Big Four capable from tournament to tournament.

I would bet whatever anyone wants that Murray has at least one Slam win by this time next year. I don't think he's going to get it tomorrow unless Djokovic is gassed, which seems unlikely because he just keeps coming. I do think though that Wimbledon 2013 or the Australian Open 2013 will be more chances for him. First major, guys who prep best can always score early before maybe the best guy gets into the best shape. Wimbledon, I honestly feel like Murray is the 2nd best grass court player behind Federer. He has proven his mettle there. I'll take whatever action anyone wants on that. He's to the point now based on this season that he no longer needs someone to show up with their B or C game or for someone to get knocked out ... he's got a legitimate shot. In my own opinion, it's apparent with his play this year that he has closed the gap to the point where you don't think he's going to get straight setted any time he is in a final. I don't think he's quite as good as Djokovic all around to take him if Djokovic is playing his best. I do think as he showed in the Olympics and @ Wimbledon in true outdoor elements that he can take Federer now. I think he has been close to Nadal. No telling what his chances are against him in a Slam with the health question, but I don't think Murray is outmatched any longer in these situations. I think Ivan Lendl has made a massive difference in his game and attitude.
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 09-09-12 at 11:08 PM.

First ... 3456